Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2016, 10:45   #5536
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
At least online, I cannot see a single link that shows a 140 section Meteor. Lets await Barca's response
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
Guys,

I doubt that this Metaor is in 140, my dealer talked with MRF distributor and I got contact from Dukes of Pune to MRF marketing executive as well. Metro is not above 120. The single unit I found in 120 is at one of the dealer in Nana peth (Karol bag of Pune)but that was looking puny on Duke so dropped that idea and went for 130 CEAT Vertigo.
He just reverted. 120/80 R17 MRF Meteor Tubeless is the tyre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
Er.. I have ridden the Duke with my mom and even my grandmother as pillion; needless to say, both saree clad. Received quite a few curious stares, did I!
I could take my saree clad Mother for barely two kilometres. The screams and threats to stop immediately were too funny for me to concentrate on the road.
Old 17th May 2016, 11:01   #5537
BHPian

Quote:
Such a long post and yet, no pics! Not fair man!
Anyway, congratulations on your buy! Cheers!
Thank you, uploaded the pics. Haven't really got my camera out yet to shoot her, but yeah more pics will be on their way once I take her out for a long ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Welcome to the club, buddy. Looking forward to meet/ride with you soon.
Thanks again Ayush, like I said look forward to riding with you guys soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameshwar View Post
Welcome noo.b I completed 5.5 k kms last week on my ride back from Goa.. Yeah its much better than the previous iteration with the small and big enhancements.

Why remove the safety add-ons though? Not just from a safety perspective (rear tire hugger saves people behind you from offending pebbles and fluid spray,) but also from a road legal standpoint. Trust me the Duke 390 is a cop magnet and they don't run out of reasons to fine you.
Thank you Kameshwar, I took it off as it was an absolute eyesore for me, don't think it adds anything on the safety front too as both the hugger and the sari guard are very India specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Has anyone actually seen a woman with a saree sitting on the rear of the Duke 390 with both feet to one side? How would she even climb on it?

The both feet to one side is a moot point now that I think of it
I did spot one only a few days ago, it was funny cos the lady seemed middle aged and in all probability was the rider's mother. The rider had all the riding gear on and this poor lady didn't even have a helmet on and was holding on to dear life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameshwar View Post
All I can say is good luck with the next copper who fines you for not having a saree gaurd, despite having everything in order. Why do you even think we have them, even on 350cc plus motorcycles? Are manufacturers really ignorant or are they complying with laws that require saree gaurd? Also good luck finding a lady who can sit on a Duke with a saree on. :sly:

Frankly I think the courtesy one owes others on the roads for not chucking gravel in their faces and windshields, I have left my tire hugger on.

Thankfully the cops up North go a little easy on people when it comes to checking for a saree guard and a hugger.

They're way too busy trying to stop people from riding on the wrong side, jumping lights, playing LOUD music in the cars and chasing cars with dark films.

Quote:
Trust me, all it takes is an agile lady.

But it's a pain pottering around in 1st and 2nd gear though.
I second that
Old 17th May 2016, 17:31   #5538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Used the drawing sent by Uday (unk9ja) and it did a fantastic job in just 100 Rs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meccanico View Post
Could you please share with me the drawing you mentioned for the front off road mudguard? I literally used the same one on my Duke 200 and it broke on the first full suspension travel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Could you please send me the drawing too. Uday is in Bangalore and we have someone we know in common so I will reach out to him as well, as I might be doing this for another bike and not the Duke.
Quote:
The design is made by Uday so let me take his permission to share it, or else you can contact him directly. Hope you understand.
I had posted this on a different thread quoting Red Liner. Here is the drawing.The thickness is 3mm as this has to take a lot of beating. The 8mm relief on one side is to allow the ABS sensor wire to route properly. If this relief is not given, then the chances of sensor cable getting cut is always there. So please keep this in mind. And if the extension on the small part goes beyond 25mm, the front fender extender will start to rub against the plastic radiator guard.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20140710_080935.jpg

And guys there is no need for any kind of permission as we are helping out each other and not doing any business here. So if you have any pictures, drawing or sketch from me, please go ahead and share it on any forum. It only helps in improving the design further with some sharp minds.
unk9ja is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 17:42   #5539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post

And guys there is no need for any kind of permission as we are helping out each other and not doing any business here. So if you have any pictures, drawing or sketch from me, please go ahead and share it on any forum. It only helps in improving the design further with some sharp minds.
Thank you so much! True Bhpian comradery
Old 18th May 2016, 17:46   #5540
BHPian

Quote:
I had posted this on a different thread quoting Red Liner. Here is the drawing.The thickness is 3mm as this has to take a lot of beating. The 8mm relief on one side is to allow the ABS sensor wire to route properly. If this relief is not given, then the chances of sensor cable getting cut is always there. So please keep this in mind. And if the extension on the small part goes beyond 25mm, the front fender extender will start to rub against the plastic radiator guard.
I was looking for something exactly like this i think. I am not from a mech background so I have a hard time visualizing what it actually is

I was looking to fit the same fender which bhpian Thar4x4 used, on my 390, however a friend tried it and his broke on day one. Is this a bracket for mounting the fender?

Also, does this fender now protect the radiator? AFAIK there is not much protection on the rear of the mudgaurd.
Old 18th May 2016, 17:50   #5541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post
I was looking to fit the same fender which bhpian Thar4x4 used, on my 390, however a friend tried it and his broke on day one. Is this a bracket for mounting the fender?

Also, does this fender now protect the radiator? AFAIK there is not much protection on the rear of the mudgaurd.
Yes ashwin, the bracket is to move the fender up so that it does not come in contact with the tyre which is bigger.

My D did not come with the fender extender and I still run it the same way. So on max travel of the suspension, there is a chance of the fender hitting the radiator.
Old 18th May 2016, 19:56   #5542
BHPian

Quote:
The 8mm relief on one side is to allow the ABS sensor wire to route properly. If this relief is not given, then the chances of sensor cable getting cut is always there. So please keep this in mind.

No permission but credit is all yours to make purposeful modification on Duke.

Fabricator in my area was not ready to do such small work hence have to just make the patti bracket without the above 8 mm relief. . My patti on that site is not rubbing on ABS cable however I can't fit bolt there so I have kept that one empty and fixed patta on upper and lower bolt.

Quote:
My D did not come with the fender extender and I still run it the same way. So on max travel of the suspension, there is a chance of the fender hitting the radiator.
Looks like my front Tyre Michelin 100/90/17 have bigger profile than your CEAT Vertigo hence I have to make it 30mm and which is now rubbing occasionally with radiator plastic. However no option because if I keep less space then the tyre might get jammed in mud.
Old 20th May 2016, 08:28   #5543
CGB
BHPian

Yesterday morning the ignition wire snapped off and couldn't start my bike. Went to service centre and they diagnosed it as ignition coil failure but yet to ascertain what is the actual issue! My bike has run 26253kms and still under warranty! Bhpians- any inputs please !
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-image.jpeg  

Old 20th May 2016, 09:37   #5544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noo.b View Post
Hi Bhpians

I am happy to announce that I am now a part of the duke 390 owners club on teambhp .
Congrats on joining the club (Welcome mate!!!). Wishing you happy and safe miles ahead. Suggest wear all safety gear (head to toe) for really safe rides.
Old 20th May 2016, 10:51   #5545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
esterday morning the ignition wire snapped off and couldn't start my bike. Went to service center and they diagnosed it as ignition coil failure but yet to
From the picture it looks like the wire blew off which in-turn lead to the coil failure. Primary reason for coil failure usually starts at spark plug. Poorly maintained or failing spark plug can initiate a coil failure. If that wire is the spark plug (ignition) wire, it may have snapped of due to plug failure which would have led to coil failure. Coil failure aside from age and in this case miles of running is when high voltage that the coil generates has no means to find ground say via the plug wires or plugs. This can cause the coil to fail.

This is my understanding and i may be wrong with Duke but generally if its a coil failure i would start at the plugs.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 11:42   #5546
BHPian

Sorry to bump into the discussion but I have been a facing an irritating problem with my RC390 for some time now.

It all started with me going in for scheduled service having completed about 8500 kms. This included change of oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter and spark plug. The last three components were changed for the first time. Now after every service engine would become smoother. After this service though bike seems to have lost the eagerness to rev. Further, there are excessive vibrations post 7k rpm, unbearable in 2nd and 3rd gear and very much felt in 4th.

I don't feel loss of power but it's just that the vibration on seat in particular are unbearable so I can't muster up courage to rev it to redline. If the information helps, there is no stuttering in low revs and engine never dies out anywhere in rev range.

I am planning to take it service center but considering their lackluster attitude, I'll rather want to tell them what is wrong than rely on their diagnosis.

Thanks in advance!
Old 20th May 2016, 15:52   #5547
BHPian

Fitted the fazer windscreen yesterday and did a highway trip of 200 kms.It is not as effective as my previous windscreen and morover crosswinds cause the windshield to flex a lot.I will be fixing back my old windscreen though rattles a bit but defintely was much better!
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-image.jpeg  

Old 20th May 2016, 16:09   #5548
CGB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
I don't feel loss of power but it's just that the vibration on seat in particular are unbearable so I can't muster up courage to rev it to redline. If the information helps, there is no stuttering in low revs and engine never dies out anywhere in rev range.
Since you have mentioned there is no loss of power, I doubt the vibrations might be due to the drive-chain. Kindly check the slag as per the manual and adjust it.
CGB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 16:14   #5549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now after every service engine would become smoother. After this service though bike seems to have lost the eagerness to rev
Could be fuel delivery. Try changing the fuel filter. Could be clogged due to a recent refueling.

Under the seat vibration could also be loosely bolted seat, battery box cover or any components. Check them yourself.

If the vibrations are from the engine itself, just try putting the old set up back(spark plug) to eliminate any issues due to spark plug.

Check if you can replicate the issue parking the bike in a paddock stand or so and revving it in different gears. Check if the chain is way too loose which can also create that effect.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 17:50   #5550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGB View Post
Since you have mentioned there is no loss of power, I doubt the vibrations might be due to the drive-chain. Kindly check the slag as per the manual and adjust it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Check if the chain is way too loose which can also create that effect.
The chain slack was adjusted during the service but I will give it a check. What I am afraid is that the chain might be too tight. I'll check this right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Could be fuel delivery. Try changing the fuel filter. Could be clogged due to a recent refueling.
Fuel filter was changed during last service. I have moved to Mumbai recently and even though I refuel from a COCO pump here, I have had to refuel from unknown places. I am wary of poor fuel quality ruining the experience.

Quote:
Under the seat vibration could also be loosely bolted seat, battery box cover or any components. Check them yourself.

Check if you can replicate the issue parking the bike in a paddock stand or so and revving it in different gears.
There could some loose screws due to shoddy job during service. I'll give it a check! Testing on paddock stand should help me diagnose better.

Quote:
If the vibrations are from the engine itself, just try putting the old set up back(spark plug) to eliminate any issues due to spark plug.
I don't have the old plug as I discarded it during change but the new one is stock plug recommended by KTM / Bajaj. However, if it may help, I can change the plug again, it is pretty cheap anyways.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks