Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
I have updated against your queries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Is that a..
Hello Guys,

The Tyre for my Ladakh trip subject is almost at end and now I have found this good combo details below, please let me know your views on this so that I can go ahead with this on weekend.

Front : Michelin Sirac 100-90-17 Tubeless. Nylon Tyre Cost 2200/-

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_1776.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_1777.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_1778.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_1779.jpg

Rear : CEAT Verigo Rage 130-80-17 Tubeless. Nylon Tyre Cost 3250/-

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_1774.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_1775.jpg

The CEAT Vertigo with button is out off production and this Rage is in place.

Posted earlier here

My concern is how this combo will work for Ladakh trip?

Will the front became heavy ? Do I need to remove the mudguard ?

Will this rear 130 / 80 profile fit in available space ?

Last edited by Thar4x4 : 11th May 2016 at 11:39.
Old 11th May 2016, 12:04   #5477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
Hello Guys,

The Tyre for my Ladakh trip subject is almost at end and now I have found this good combo details below

Rear : CEAT Verigo Rage 130-80-17 Tubeless. Nylon Tyre Cost 3250/-

Attachment 1505924

Attachment 1505923

The CEAT Vertigo with button is out off production and this Rage is in place

My concern is how this combo will work for Ladakh trip

Looking good! I'm happy to note that sirac is a tubeless tyre. Good option for the front

Not sure of rage's performance, but 130 section should fit fine. No issues with Swing arm clearance. A friend has a sirac + vee rubber 130 section combo on his 390 n it works fine

I'm keen on hearing from you how the tyres perform not just off road, but on it too

All the best for your Ladakh sojourn
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 16:00   #5478
Senior - BHPian

Apologies for the back to back posts

I was looking at purchasing this - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1550L...444_5,201409_1

Half my riding is done in the night and a lot of it is through unlit roads and the other half is blinding lights from oncoming traffic. High time I remedied it. Not a big fan of the little squarish LED lights that many have installed. The best part about this light bar is that it has both spot as well as flood lights. Some YouTube reviews show that this is the absolute bomb

My query - Where do you mount this on the duke and how? This thing weighs a shade under half a kilo. Would the number plate bracket be able to take it? I was actually thinking of making a custom mount that would fit on to the 4 screws that hold the mini wind screen up front, but not sure if this would do. Would the plastic base be strong enough to hold up half a kilo + the rigors of our roads?

Look forward to suggestions please. Tx!

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 11th May 2016 at 16:26.
Old 11th May 2016, 16:20   #5479
CGB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
Similar questions for me too.
And on inquiring the price, the next question is: "Why didn't you buy a car instead?"
That is a "Made in India" question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
My query - Where do you mount this on the duke and how? This thing weighs a shade under half a kilo. Would the number plate bracket be able to take it? I was actually thinking of making a custom mount that would fit on to the 4 screws that hold the mini wind screen up front, but not sure if this would do. Would the plastic base be strong enough to hold up half a kilo + the rigors of our roads?

Urban_Nomad, i would suggest it to be mounted just below the headlamp unit. Our number plate mounts cant bear the weight and routing of wires will look untidy. Special brackets for mounting in forks are available in Redline+ website. Also the routing of wires will be easy and can provide some good spread of the lights.

NOTE FROM T-BHP SUPPORT: Merging consecutive posts. Please use the EDIT / QUOTE+ function within 30 minutes of posting.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 11th May 2016 at 16:30. Reason: Merging consecutive posts. Please use the EDIT / QUOTE+ function within 30 minutes of posting.
CGB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 16:42   #5480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Guys,

My concern is how this combo will work for Ladakh trip?

Will the front became heavy ? Do I need to remove the mudguard ?

Yes, this combo will work fine for your trip. Nice to see the Sirac in TL version. The rear tyre however is on the higher side considering the VS sold for 2400INR.

On the front end, you will have more weight from this setup but you will be compensating the same with your luggage at the rear. The mudguard, front lip might touch the tyre, so a simple riser will do the trick for the front. I will send across the drawing of the same, you can improvise it for your needs. Removal of mudguard is a strict no-no unless you want yourself battered with pebbles and water.

The rear will fit in easily in the available place. So no worries on this end.
unk9ja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 16:51   #5481
BHPian

Quote:
Looking good! I'm happy to note that sirac is a tubeless tyre. Good option for the front

All the best for your Ladakh sojourn
Yes, will post my review about these tyres. Thanks for the wishes.

Quote:
Yes, this combo will work fine for your trip. Nice to see the Sirac in TL version. The rear tyre however is on the higher side considering the VS sold for 2400INR.

On the front end, you will have more weight from this setup but you will be compensating the same with your luggage at the rear. The mudguard, front lip might touch the tyre, so a simple riser will do the trick for the front. I will send across the drawing of the same, you can improvise it for your needs. Removal of mudguard is a strict no-no unless you want yourself battered with pebbles and water.

The rear will fit in easily in the available place. So no worries on this end.
I have CEAT Vertigo in 100/90/17 as well as option for front. So in Michelin Sirac and Ceat Vertigo which will be good for front.
Old 11th May 2016, 17:13   #5482
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I was looking at purchasing this - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1550L...444_5,201409_1

Urban, are you sure these will do the job? They are insanely cheap! These seem more like running lights or work lights like the description mentions.

Could you please share the you tube videos? I would be interested too.
Old 11th May 2016, 17:48   #5483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was looking at purchasing this - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1550L...444_5,201409_1, Look forward to suggestions please. Tx!
If you are really in need of a good setup, check the post nr. 4300 by bik1906 with Baja Designs lamps. Puny and light in weight with excellent lighting capabilities within the bike's rated load. Even though it is exorbitantly costly than the ones you have mentioned, this comes in built with good safety features along with an excellent spread of light. Try to save up for these and get it. If you can get someone carry it from the states, then it will work out much cheaper.

I have seen many people in my circles going in for the square/ round ones and paying the price with a burnt stator coil or a blown battery. At the same time some who have bought these and from Rigid Industries are all having peace of mind.

Here is a guide with respect to buying the auxillary lighting systems.
https://www.triumphindia.org/2015/08...r-motorcycles/

Hope this helps you.
unk9ja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 18:40   #5484
BHPian

[quote=Thar4x4;3970970]Hello Guys,

The Tyre for my Ladakh trip subject is almost at end and now I have found this good combo details below, please let me know your views on this so that I can go ahead with this on weekend.

Hi, if you dont mind me asking can you please let me know where you checked / are procuring these tyres from in Pune. I am in the same boat as you and have been searching for AT tyres, but havent had much luck till now.

Regards
Ronald
Old 11th May 2016, 18:44   #5485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
Hi, if you dont mind me asking can you please let me know where you checked / are procuring these tyres from in Pune. I am in the same boat as you and have been searching for AT tyres, but havent had much luck till now.

Regards
Ronald
I have checked this at random stores in Nana Peth area, didn't remember the same of the store however you can find lots of these tyres in all stores in Nana Peth. if I visit them again on weekend then I will collect the name and address details.
Thar4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 19:41   #5486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Could you please share the you tube videos? I would be interested too.
Here you go:

Quote:
If you are really in need of a good setup, check the post nr. 4300 by bik1906 with Baja Designs lamps
Thanks Uday! That boy has really farkled up his bike. Neat mods, no expense spared

I unfortunately do not have the stomach for that sort of an expenditure. If this doesn't work, I am out 800 bucks and can live with that. The YouTube vids above show that these work though, so definitely going to give it a shot
Old 11th May 2016, 20:03   #5487
BHPian

On the perennial heating issue with the D390, has anyone tried the RC390 fan setup? In UK and Singapore I have seen D390's with the RC fan and shroud.

Some feedback may push me towards that solution.

Tyres - Try to go for the best possible, that Ceat Vertigo Rage has a on-road/off-road profile so should be better than a block profile. In any case Leh-Ladakh trips are done on standard tyres so why the AT tyres? The roads are not that bad. And you don't buy tyres for 1 km of bad roads either.
If you have to go for the Ceat then try to find a 140 section at least, you will lose a lot of handling and braking performance on such narrow tyres. I only concerned on the safety front, please correct me if I'm wrong.
I use the D390 for touring only and I do average 80-90 km per hour for that I have to keep around 110-120 kmph while running, the Metz or the Pirelli play a large part getting me places safely.
amitc7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 23:03   #5488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitc7 View Post

Tyres - Try to go for the best possible, that Ceat Vertigo Rage has a on-road/off-road profile so should be better than a block profile. In any case Leh-Ladakh trips are done on standard tyres so why the AT tyres? The roads are not that bad. And you don't buy tyres for 1 km of bad roads either.
If you have to go for the Ceat then try to find a 140 section at least, you will lose a lot of handling and braking performance on such narrow tyres. I only concerned on the safety front, please correct me if I'm wrong.
I use the D390 for touring only and I do average 80-90 km per hour for that I have to keep around 110-120 kmph while running, the Metz or the Pirelli play a large part getting me places safely.
Thanks for you inputs and that the same concern putting me in thinking again and again. :(
I tried to search for 140/150 section tyre however there is no option available in market hence need to down grade. Lots of Dukes from Pune have done this off-road setup in this months because every shop I visit tell me that there are people who purchased same pair.

My bike is new and the stock tyres have used just 300 km, I am riding from Pune to Ladakh and then back to Pune so 90% on best highway and then 10 % on off-road.

Also I am talking with lots of people on this tyre subject and most of them are reserved about diverting from stock combo and size.

So finally I am about to stop this tyre process and just run on Metzler's or at most if I get some budget will just buy Michelin Sports for 9 K.
Old 11th May 2016, 23:13   #5489
BHPian

Hey you have a new bike, enjoy it as a new bike and forget about messing with it for now. About the Leh-Ladakh trip you will have very less off road situations, people do the trip on scooters and M800's.

Try not to overthink the trip, get your essentials ready and go.

I have added a liquid sealant to my tyres and unless I have a blow up I'm quite safe from punctures, try that.
Old 12th May 2016, 13:48   #5490
BHPian

Quote:
I am riding from Pune to Ladakh and then back to Pune so 90% on best highway and then 10 % on off-road.
Mate, irrespective of whatever tyre you choose, ping me whenever you're reaching Delhi. Me (and probably a few other bhpians) would like to meet you.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks