Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2016, 23:48   #5446
BHPian

As you guys remember i have posted here about the brake issue in my 13 dec 390. I had to move the lever a lot to get some braking effect and it even resulted in a minor spill as i have rear ended a car at a medium speed.

I had replaced the front pads to double H rated EBC pads in 16k km service. The braking was actually much improved after bedding in the pads. To improve things further, done a DIY reverse bleed on the front brakes 3 weeks ago. Replaced 2.4 years old brake fluid with new Motul Dot 3&4 fluid and did the process twice to make sure there was no air trapped in the lines with a pair of 60ml syringes. Used the method shown in the video shared by fellow bhpian Sunnyboi. The difference in the fluid condition is quite clear from the images of before and after the bleed. Took extra care to protect the painted parts from the brake fluid.

After completing more than 1000 kms after the bleed i'm extremely pleased. I can really trust my brakes now with decent feel through the levers. I have done quite a lot of hard stops and the combination of EBC pads + reverse bleed has done wonders to my bike. My friend who actually rides a late 15 390 was actually surprised by the braking performance when he rode mine.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-1461608172324.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-1461608189190.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-1461608204270.jpg  

b16h22 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 00:02   #5447
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
done a DIY reverse bleed on the front brakes 3 weeks ago. Replaced 2.4 years old brake fluid with new Motul Dot 3&4 fluid and did the process twice to make sure there was no air trapped in the lines with a pair of 60ml syringes
Mind sharing a pic of the syringe with the tubing? Is the syringe head not too small for it & the tube to make a solid seal?

I want to try this as well, but not getting a big enough syringe hence curious

Thanks!
Old 26th April 2016, 00:05   #5448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Mind sharing a pic of the syringe with the tubing? Is the syringe head not too small for it & the tube to make a solid seal?

I want to try this as well, but not getting a big enough syringe hence curious

Thanks!
I'll try to get a photo tomorrow. The seal with the bleed valve was tight but it leaked a little if i was not careful with the pressure applied on the syringe plunger. There was no issue on the syringe side

Last edited by b16h22 : 26th April 2016 at 00:06.
Old 26th April 2016, 10:54   #5449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nasirkaka,
I've done this in my bike and completed more than 10,000kms! I have added a layer of soft foam outside the OEM seat and layered with a soft material. It made a world of difference during rides and there was no pain or fatigue! Also the pillion seat is comfortable due to the extra padding It is a recommended upgrade for dukes
Nice! Is that a soft memory foam? I am told memory foam are almost as expensive as gel pads. around 1.5k for a 1 feet square. will see if can get hold of some memory foam here, as a lot of feedback in intl forums have praised it a lot on various bikes.
Old 26th April 2016, 11:08   #5450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Nice! Is that a soft memory foam? I am told memory foam are almost as expensive as gel pads. around 1.5k for a 1 feet square. will see if can get hold of some memory foam here, as a lot of feedback in intl forums have praised it a lot on various bikes.
Nasirkaka

I have some 2 sqft of memory foam from a mattress. Dunno if it is the right spec but if you want, you are welcome to it.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 11:53   #5451
CGB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Yes. I got the foam from a bed and sofa making shop near my house for free . You can actually try getting from them.
CGB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 11:27   #5452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Nasirkaka

I have some 2 sqft of memory foam from a mattress. Dunno if it is the right spec but if you want, you are welcome to it.
wow! what thickness is it approximately. Could surely use it on the 390 seat but a bit of shaping it.
Old 4th May 2016, 23:13   #5453
BHPian

Guys,
I am looking out for tyres for my KTM Duke 390 for my upcoming Ladakh trip. The bike is brand new with Metlz and I do not want to waste it in bad roads. So i have following options available in Pune:

Michelin same size as stock.
Cost 4000 + 5450 = 9450
This is costly and can run well for 20k + so my stock Metlz set will be useless till then.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1462383414.810326.jpg

MRF again same as stock
Cost 2200 + 3550 = 6000 +\-
Looks good however people who have used this have not very good review
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1462383668.442437.jpg

CEAT Zoom 140-70-17
Cost 3300 for rear, have not found the option for front yet.
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1462383724.875621.jpg

Unfortunately there are very less options in dual purpose tyres in 17''

What is you suggestion ?
Old 4th May 2016, 23:42   #5454
Senior - BHPian

^^ any reasons for not considering the vertigo? Very positive feedback from a fellow member who used it exactly for what is your intended purpose
Old 4th May 2016, 23:53   #5455
BHPian

Quote:
^^ any reasons for not considering the vertigo? Very positive feedback from a fellow member who used it exactly for what is your intended purpose
That was my first option however every CEAT dealer here is saying that company have stopped the production for Vertigo. They suggested me to go for Zoom which is taking place of Vertigo now.
Old 5th May 2016, 00:04   #5456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
Guys,
I am looking out for tyres for my KTM Duke 390 for my upcoming Ladakh trip. The bike is brand new with Metlz and I do not want to waste it in bad roads....
What is you suggestion ?
The best is to go for the cheapest and toughest tyres built for off road purpose. If Ceat vertigo is not an option, look out for MRF MoGrip & Ralco tyres. They have off road purpose built tyres. You can go with 140 section for the rear, it will not be an issue. Stick to stock size for the front. If you get Vertigo, that is the best for the terrain in Ladakh. Else as a last option if MRF MoGrip and Ralco are not available would be the Michelin. They are medium compound compared to the soft compound of the Metz. So it should be able to handle the abuse fairly well. Also once you are back you can continue to use the Michelin as they are road tyres and not purpose built for off road only. Once they wear out, you can switch to the brand new Metz and enjoy the tyres!
abhinav.s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 09:30   #5457
BHPian

Quote:
Apologies for the back to back posts. Just ordered a pair of bar risers (1 inch) from the same place I ordered the strap in Gel seat for the pillion

Link - http://shop.redlineplus.in/motorcycl...90-1-inch.html

947 bucks shipped! Not bad

The jugaad I was going to go for would have cost me 600 bucks + min 2 hours of fabrication time + traversing the horribly congested confines of Jhandewalan in 40+ degrees heat

Full paisa vasool IMO. Will share feedback once it gets here, which should be in another week or so

Edit - Next up; adjustable hand levers
How are you finding the risers? Does the stock cabling fit with the added 1" length?
Old 5th May 2016, 16:24   #5458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
How are you finding the risers? Does the stock cabling fit with the added 1" length?
Hey - Have not fitted them yet. Had been unwell all of last week and was actually only able to ride the bike today after 10 + days

Will probably get it done over the weekend and revert by Monday. From what I have heard though, no cables would need to be re-routed
Old 6th May 2016, 00:50   #5459
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Did a 4000 km trip on the Duke 390, stock bike except for an MRA touring windshield.

It coincided with my 40th birthday so I wanted to git myself something unique, not the best time in the year to do so.

Trip went as follows:
Madras - Yercaud - Bangalore - Pimpri - Shirdi - Mhow - Krishangarh - Tosham - Delhi - Lucknow.

Then flew back with the bike on a brief break as my cousins till a rain ride next month.

Will write up soon, loads of work to catch up with in the meanwhile.

This memory foam seat idea seems to be a necessity, though the heat from the engine and a strange sharp heat from the battery I think hits a lot harder than the seat's discomfort.

Till later.
amitc7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 14:29   #5460
BHPian

^^ well done and a belated happy 40th! Question on the heat.I have a Jan 2016 390 and haven't noticed any issue with regard to engine heat. Do you notice the heat from battery on rides of above say 4-500 kms at a stretch (ish?)
Just reached Goa from Pune and haven't noticed any issues.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks