Team-BHP - The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/138082-ktm-duke-390-ownership-experience-thread-352.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kameshwar (Post 3917882)
I hope this starts a price war in the lubricant world..

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/whe...1_5575781.html

Isn't the motul 7100v 10w50 priced in the 700-800INR range for a litre? I honestly have no idea how can shell start a pricing war here. Even the 300v is priced around 1k

^^is it? My bad, I thought the Duke 390 takes up 1ltr of oil, whereas in reality it doesn't. It needs more..I was just going by the bill which the service centre gave me.. No scope of a price war then. Wonder how the new oil is though. Might be worth trying out given their claims.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kameshwar (Post 3918006)
^^is it? My bad, I thought the Duke 390 takes up 1ltr of oil, whereas in reality it doesn't. It needs more..I was just going by the bill which the service centre gave me.. No scope of a price war then. Wonder how the new oil is though. Might be worth trying out given their claims.

If i remember right, around 1.5l oil is needed for routine oil change. I know you got confused from the price they show in the bill. For me it was 1040INR for 1.5 ltrs of 7100 10w50. The new shell is bang on in the price range of motul 300v.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad (Post 3902090)
Got my rear tyre replaced - 140/70/17 IRC road winner @ 3k. Have barely ridden around on it. Will post pics n initial impressions once I clock a couple or so hundred Kms on it

Update : Have used this tyre for around 1000 kms now. Here's a quick synopsis of my observations:

Grip - The tyre comes as stock for the Ninja 300 and this is pretty much what gave me the confidence to give this one a try. I had read multiple user reviews for this tyre and it was mostly rated as average, with biggest grouse being the amount of time it takes to heat up

As a commuter, this tyre poses no issues at all & there is plenty of grip available. However, there was a bit of a learning curve involved. The first 3 - 400 kms or so, upon hard cornering - I could feel the rear slide just a little bit. These weren't big, gnarly slides but very mild ones that would correct themselves with a steady throttle. I certainly felt them though. This was probably because of the glossy shiny thing new tyres come coated with and go away once the tyre has "broken in". I dont experience this anymore and the tyre is rock solid in corners

Ride quality - This is a bias ply tyre and by design has a harder carcass than a radial. Therefore, the bump absorbtion is not that great and Michelins were clearly much better here. Nothing bone jarring, but you definitely feel the difference compared to a radial, despite this tyre having a thicker side wall

Braking - Absolutely no difference compared to Michelins or Metz. No sliding around. The tyre holds its line well even under hard braking

VFM - Top class. 2850 bucks fitted. I recently read somewhere on TBHP that a Duke 200 rider paid around 3500 bucks for an MRF Revz. The Road winner is just a fantastic tyre for the price

Verdict - For both the price and performance package, I whole heartedly recommend this tyre. I havent taken this to the track yet but I will not hesitate putting this to its paces there either. With each passing day, my confidence in this tyre goes up

Guys in case y'all interested to know the price of the pirelli and Metz in Pune. Prices are from the big Michelin dealer called tyre trax opposite Hyatt at viman nagar

Wow! Kick ass pricing on the rossos! Might make tremendous sense for folks here to just grab a set to stock at home for the next 6 months!

I guess some tips for tyre storage at home are in order :d

Quote:

Wow! Kick ass pricing on the rossos! Might make tremendous sense for folks here to just grab a set to stock at home for the next 6 months!
These are definitely great price. In fact i would buy the bike, buy these tyres along with it and use metz for those crazy rides and the standard tyres for daily rides.

Bridgestone should get a route to make battalax available for right price. Those are tremendous tyres.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VW2010 (Post 3920055)
These are definitely great price. In fact i would buy the bike, buy these tyres along with it and use metz for those crazy rides and the standard tyres for daily rides

Are you saying that the Rosso's are lesser tyres than Metz in any parameter? Having seen both these tyres on the race track, i can tell you that absolutely nothing seperates them in terms of performance on offer

And at these prices, Metz actually become absolutely irrelevant. What scenrio do you foresee where Metz will be better?

@Urban Nomad,

Not really. In fact both are exceptionally great. I personally felt the Metz take the track beating a little longer giving more rides and the Rosso while performance wise are no lesser wears of far faster. Specially post 50% wear the Rosso shows higher decline while you can still push the Metz. This from a track friend of mine. I have not tested these two tyres separately. I know Metz hands on and how sticky and actually decent life they provide on tracks.

And on wets the metz has much more control over the Rosso.But you put it right for the price Metz do become irrelevant. Thanks for correcting there.

I think it makes sense if these are prices for genuine imports and thats a price hard to beat or compete for by even Metz. The only other tyre i can vouch for is the battalax. These are perfect for both street and track. On a dry day they stick like a geico.

Given my bug for riding early in the morning (which annoys many of my co-riders!) and doing long hauls, I was mooting over the idea over getting a pair of AUX lamps fitted. Before that, I got myself a Philips Xtreme Vision H4 bulb and observed a noticeable difference. 1 month after relying only on the Philips, I decided to get AUX lamps done.

Initially, I was very sceptical of the same as I already have a dual horn setup and found myself believing that it might stress my batteries out. But conversations about it with fellow bhpians mithunvijayan, outofthebox, SunnyBoi & schakravarthy cleared all doubts and I went ahead with the plan.

The lamps are local versions of the Crees that are widely used. The lamps that I use can be literally found in more than half of the Bullets that do Ladakh!

Got them fitted around 3 weeks back but hadn't used the motorcycle since. Today, purposely planned a 5:30 AM departure for my morning ride with the sole intention of testing them.

First, the comparison pictures. I realised later that the lights should've been focused a tad better. At that time, it was illuminating the entire left sector for me, which is fine, as it doesn't blind the oncoming traffic.

1. Dipper (Xtreme Vision)

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dipper.jpg

2. Dipper + Aux lamps

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-dipper-aux.jpg

3. Head beam (Xtreme Vision)

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-head.jpg

4. Head beam + Aux lamps

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-head-aux.jpg

Remarks :

1. The visibility now has improved massively. This has resulted in me having an increase of my average speed at night - as with the case of outofthebox as well who got a single AUX lamp fitted on his Scrambler.

2. The light has 3 modes - Head beam, Dipper and Flash.

3. It is terribly difficult to adjust the focus if you want to do it in the middle of a journey. You'll have to loosen the brackets, adjust and tighten again.

4. The stock nuts and bolts came off during an earlier day-ride and thus had to be tied with ropes for the remainder of the ride.

5. The nuts and bolts provided by the shop were of nightmare quality. Got better nuts and bolts fitted at a different shop yesterday.

6. Battery is hale and hearty with absolutely no tantrums - even after I started the bike yesterday after almost 3 weeks.

7. The switch provided by most shops will be usually be made out of the worst plastic possible. Again, thanks to outofthebox, I got a better switch for 250 rupees extra. Said switch has a red flick cover and looks uber cool - just like the missile firing switches in fighter aircraft. :D

So, that settles it. The brightness doesn't exactly show in daytime but once it's dark, you might be mistaken for a potato-potato machine. :uncontrol
It isn't exactly a necessity for everyone but if you love riding in the darkness like yours' truly, go for it.

The total damage to the pocket including installation was Rs. 1600.

@barcala

A picture of the actual set up would definitely help :).

Quote:

Originally Posted by VW2010 (Post 3921639)
A picture of the actual set up would definitely help :).

Realised it after the 30 minute deadline that I had not put up the lamp's shots. Shall click better & concentrated pictures the next time I see my bike. Nevertheless, here you go! :)

I like it that you set up low on the bike. Only problem I forsee is you will invariably have to angle it upwards and end up blinding the others. I had this lower set up in my bull but realized it was actually more blinding.

I moved the brackets up using the same holes as for signal indicators and angled the additional lights downwards.

It's pretty effective here and just be careful in local roads to not use so it doesn't blind others.

For highways this is a must. Also do you think the battery or the alternator has enough juice to run this all time??

Because from your set up it does appear you are drawing power directly from the battery.

Hi guys, I got my clutch plates replaced today. The bike has done nearly 27000km to date. Is that normal /justified? And yeah I do have a lot of peak traffic riding daily too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VW2010 (Post 3921659)
It's pretty effective here and just be careful in local roads to not use so it doesn't blind others.

I never use it in city limits. Only on highways. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by VW2010 (Post 3921659)
Because from your set up it does appear you are drawing power directly from the battery.

Yes. When the head beam + Aux lamps are on, and if I press the dual horns, the lights dim slightly. Not a worry for me, because I usually ride in dipper unless the road is super eerie. :D