Team-BHP - The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/138082-ktm-duke-390-ownership-experience-thread-348.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by gharika (Post 3898600)
There is nothing you can do to change the nature of this beast. You have to accept that its not going to run like any of the lower capacity motors or the twins. Just keep the RPM in the 4000-7000 range and it will be alright. As recommended by others on the forum, second gear is your friend with a bit of clutch in traffic and I hope the slipper clutch of the new models help there. I ride a Sep 2014 390 so my experience with the clutch is different. Its heavy and a PITA for heavy traffic.

Can't you y retrofit the slipper clutch... Thought I read someone do just that on their ride here a couple of months back...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Liner (Post 3898602)
Can't you y retrofit the slipper clutch... Thought I read someone do just that on their ride here a couple of months back...

One certainly could. But IMO, its not a requirement. The only time you really feel the pain is in absolute stop go traffic. Thats not an environment the 390 thrives in any which way. If this is the kind of traffic one is regularly riding in, they cannot be happy with the 390

You will spend more fuel as opposed to a comfy commuter, deal with the engine heat and what really bothers me is how the wonderful Metz tyres are getting destroyed; with the rubber at the center getting eroded leaving the sides near virgin and that horrible horrible flat spot that would eventually follow, completely ruining your fast cornering ambitions

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad (Post 3898637)
One certainly could. But IMO, its not a requirement. The only time you really feel the pain is in absolute stop go traffic. Thats not an environment the 390 thrives in any which way. If this is the kind of traffic one is regularly riding in, they cannot be happy with the 390

You will spend more fuel as opposed to a comfy commuter, deal with the engine heat and what really bothers me is how the wonderful Metz tyres are getting destroyed; with the rubber at the center getting eroded leaving the sides near virgin and that horrible horrible flat spot that would eventually follow, completely ruining your fast cornering ambitions

I agree, using the 390 as a commuter is harakiri. But traveling across anywhere in the country and you are bound to hit town and city traffic and I figured a slipper clutch is just an advantage to have on board.

I mean, why not?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Liner (Post 3898680)
I agree, using the 390 as a commuter is harakiri. But traveling across anywhere in the country and you are bound to hit town and city traffic and I figured a slipper clutch is just an advantage to have on board.

I mean, why not?

I had fitted the new clutch. If you check my posts, you can find my experiences with it. IMO you need to find out yourself if you would shell out around 9K for the new clutch. You can test ride the latest model. For me it has been a good investment, as I commute in heavy traffic almost daily, except in the monsoon season.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Liner (Post 3898680)

I mean, why not?

Actually, its an awesome commuter. Around 80% of the 20,000 kms I have clocked on it thus far have been commuter miles. The bike is so light and nimble, its actually fun to ride in traffic; filtering through 4 wheelers. Its literally point and shoot. The fuel economy is alright too, but that depends on how you ride. For me, the "low fuel" warning comes up around 150-170 kms from tank full

The issue I am referring to is Stop-Go traffic only. The kind where you move a couple of feet, reign in the clutch and stop, only to repeat the very next second. Its Ok for sometime but doing this for a long time is not fun.

And if this is how your entire commute is, taking the 390 out is absolutely pointless

On "why not fit slipper clutch" - this is just my opinion; I simply dont miss it. Its a lot of fun hammering down gears and bliiping the throttle. I sometimes do it just to listen to that engine growl and the satisfaction of being able to do it well :D . The slipper function is not mandatory. A welcome addition, good to have thing but absolutely not mandatory

My RX is also fun in traffic. So you can imagine my dilemma when I put the helmet on everyday getting ready to set off to work :D:D

Question - if you had the following options for a rear tyre change, what would be your pick:

- 2012/13 manufactured Metz, genuine 1200 Kms done, 0 punctures @ rs 4000
- michelin pilot street at rs 5350
- 140 section irc roadwinners @ rs 3200

IRC was surprisingly soft and the guy who had put them on his bike seemed pretty pleased with them

I'm however leaning towards the Metz. 4k, plenty of life left ( should last me 6 months or so). Real reason however is that I feel I could not explore all that the tyre had to offer on account of my riding ability. I'm no expert now but better than when I started

What do you guys think?

Not sure about used tyres. I usually get it only for the fifth wheel in my Car and that too when its darn cheap.

Inspect and if you are happy Metz makes sense.

The Michelin pilots are not bad either.

^^ I get that. The tyre belongs to someone I know and it is indeed good as new

My current michelin has has an absolutely nasty puncture. Here, see for yourself:

Eyebrow piercing for your rubber, latest bling on the street

I'm not too keen on the michelins. I mean, I just had them. Wanna try something else

I'm considering IRC from a cost perspective. These are OEM for ninja 300, so probably it's not horrible for everyday duties

The Metz, again; want to explore what the tyre has to offer. Will make my decision by this weekend

Wooo...thats a nice little guy out there. Depends on how you ride. In case you will take the bike to tracks you may need better set of rubber. If you are a sedate go to work and be back and once in a while group rider, i would pick even the IRC for you can think for decent life while not breaking the bank.

But the differences are not that drastic between the M and IRC. The metz are definitely too costly for a standard replacement.

Can you check if MRF has any options or even the Bridgestone(battelax series may be)

On the subject of tyres, What are the dual purpose tyres that are currently on offer for the hooligan and what do they cost? And how do they perform on and off the road?

Talking about tyre options, MRF has one exciting tyre for 390s in the works. It's a much softer compound compared to old RevZ and it also has steel cord construction. I'm running their R&D tyres for last 1500kms. I feel these are great and have great potential. Since I'm not a very fast or hard rider i can't compare on the limit characteristics of these MRFs and Metz. But my friends who really push their 390s gave it a thumbs up. These are certainly a huge improvement over old D200 Revz. So watch out for MRF. I feel like they have a very good product here

Quote:

Originally Posted by VW2010 (Post 3899647)
Wooo...thats a nice little guy out there. Depends on how you ride

Can you check if MRF has any options or even the Bridgestone(battelax series may be)

About 80% of my riding is commuting to and from work. The rest is touring and twice - thrice a year jaunt at the track

It is however worthwhile to note that almost everyday, the 390 sees near top speeds. I do enjoy cornering hard too

Am posting a pic of my rear tyre for you to make a judgement. This was before I took her to the track

The "chicken strip" pic is not for bragging rights but to show what I mean by hard cornering as this term would differ from one rider to another

Mrf - not for the duke especially when the capable michelins and now even IRCs are available on very similar price points. Bridgestone battlax? Show me one in india and I'll show you how to capture a unicorn. And I don't meant the bike

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Liner (Post 3899701)
On the subject of tyres, What are the dual purpose tyres that are currently on offer for the hooligan and what do they cost? And how do they perform on and off the road?

A fellow rider has put a 100 section sirac up front and a vee rubber 130 section at the rear. He's happy with the performance off road. On road is fine too, just not as good as street tyres of course

Besides that, you can search this very thread for info on tyres like Ralco Blaster and Ceat Vertigo

When you enjoy that much, just get good tyres. There is no substitutes to grip and to me spending on tyres is half the battle won :)

I would say go for Metz but see if you want to upsize. Have read in forums the upsize has actually worked very well for some.

They even changed the brembo calipers and a better break disc.

Life is full of irony:Frustrati.. I just parked my 2 week old 390, unlocked my phone to check the latest in the thread and noticed something shiny on the rear rubber..

Looks like a puncture. But seems to me its sealed itself for now. Does anyone know if the chaps at those big bridgestone and jk tyre outlets deal with these in a professional manner?