Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2015, 19:12   #5146
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Came across a blog that listed various D390 long term problems, including the one of the stator coil, and it's symptoms. Worthy of giving it a scroll.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2015, 19:50   #5147
BHPian

Today i took my bike for a short trip to pump to fill up after four days of not using the bike. Horn sounded almost as if it is dead. Headlight was fine, no low battery warning in 5km i rode. I'll take the bike to SVC next week. I have to ride 300kms tomorrow morning. Hope the bike doesn't die on me in the middle of the ride

Last edited by b16h22 : 28th December 2015 at 19:51.
Old 29th December 2015, 10:56   #5148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your first diagnosis is correct, it was a coil problem, and the battery was not getting charged. Whole unit was replaced. I don't remember the exact amount due to getting a service and a few other bits and bobs changed as well since the bike was at the SVC, but was around Rs. 1000.
Stator coil was replaced on my bike a few months back when this issue first cropped. Second time, it was thoroughly checked, and seemed fine. Even other electrical parts including battery was checked via OBD tool and declared ok. I suspect the battery this time, will get it checked this weekend.
Quote:
- Check battery via multimeter. Replace if charge found imadequate
- Take the bike straight to KTM SVC and ask them to hook it up to their diagnostic thingy. Any errors, including stator coil issue should pop up on there
- Even if the error reading for stator coil is negative, ask them for a physical inspection. This will take time (or so I am told)
- If all the above is OK, there's a fault with the speedo. To be replaced. Is your bike still under warranty?
Bike is not under warranty. as said, the stator coils is new and 'improved' one, and was very recently checked and found to be charging the battery fine. Hoping its not the speedo, will take the bike to autoservice/greasehouse this weekend for a thorough inspection. Also, the bike is been sounding different (rougher) for last 4-5 months inspite of a recent service done. My only grudge with 390 since day one is been slightly coarse engine feel, buzzes and vibes and stiff suspension over the broken bangalore roads. Rest of it being fantastic.

OT: booked the Versys 650 last evening, Hoping to use that in combination with the 390 for daily commute + for those tours. next year or so, could trade the 390 for something smoother within the segment (G310?), or even a new 390 with the latest speculated changes.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 29th December 2015 at 10:58.
nasirkaka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 11:10   #5149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
OT: booked the Versys 650 last evening, Hoping to use that in combination with the 390 for daily commute + for those tours. next year or so, could trade the 390 for something smoother within the segment (G310?), or even a new 390 with the latest speculated changes.
Many, many congratulations, Nasir bhai!

I myself know how eager you were for the Versys and were keeping track of it's status everyday. The almighty has blessed you well for your patience and dedication towards nothing except your dream. Well done!

I reckon a detailed ownership thread is in the offing coupled with you giving me a ride whenever I'm in Bangalore next.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 13:34   #5150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

No test rides? And what color have they promised you?
Old 29th December 2015, 14:44   #5151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
No test rides? And what color have they promised you?
AFAIK is only available in Black

Btw, had an accident today. Rear ended a scorpio which locked up it's wheels. Only thing i remember is the screeching noise of the scorpio's tyres losing the grip and bike hitting the rear bumper of the stationary car. I was doing sedate speeds around 45-50Kmph. There was no brake! The front had no bite whatsoever. Thankfully not even a single scratch. But the bike has minor damage. Bent crash guard and a broken rear brake lever 😞. I seriously need to address the braking issue
Old 29th December 2015, 17:10   #5152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post

There was no brake! The front had no bite whatsoever. Thankfully not even a single scratch.
Might be the famous "Target Fixation" at play. I once had to panic brake from quite a good ( or, bad?) speed.. Except there was no braking! Thankfully, I didn't hit anything. I thought the brakes had poor bite and even took the bike to the SVC to get it checked. Only later came to realise that I hadn't applied them as hard as it was required.

Check the braking on an empty stretch to confirm if its indeed an issue with the brakes and not the situation.
Old 29th December 2015, 17:28   #5153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
Might be the famous "Target Fixation" at play. I once had to panic brake from quite a good ( or, bad?) speed.. Except there was no braking! Thankfully, I didn't hit anything. I thought the brakes had poor bite and even took the bike to the SVC to get it checked. Only later came to realise that I hadn't applied them as hard as it was required.

Check the braking on an empty stretch to confirm if its indeed an issue with the brakes and not the situation.
You have a point but it's not the first time the brakes have given me a scare. There is a loud metallic squeal while applying front brakes. And no bite in the first one inch or so of lever travel. I'm taking the bike to SVC. And i don't think pathetic braking is a non existent problem in older 390s. Many have discussed it in this particular thread before. Trying different things and getting no result. The next logical step for me is to get hold of a set of EBC sintered brake pads

Last edited by b16h22 : 29th December 2015 at 17:30.
Old 30th December 2015, 17:04   #5154
BHPian

Faced a weird issue today.

Bike stalled at a traffic junction. Didn't start normally. Finally did after around 10 attempts. Didn't shut off the ignition for the remainder of my trip.

Now, the scene is that it's starting only when the bike is in Neutral.

When the gear is engaged along with the clutch, no noise or effect once the self-start is pressed.

I think that it might be related to the side stand sensor, but no warnings or anything.

Got the "Low Battery" late last night but it disappeared after riding for barely 50 feet. All the lights and horn working normally. Perplexing.

Anyone has any insight on this?
Old 30th December 2015, 18:26   #5155
BHPian

First of all, I don't own D390.

The bike starting in neutral but not when clutch is lever is pressed seems to point to clutch having excess play. The gearbox feels the clutch is part engaged and doesn't allow the bike to start.

When in neutral, this is not the issue and the starter would work normally.
bhargavd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 18:44   #5156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
All symptoms described point to an end of battery life scenario. It's surely not retaining full charge and not able to deliver cranking current too.

When you engage gear, one or more sensors gets activated, which is drawing current, making even less current available for startup.

Maybe its still recoverable - get the fluids topped up and go for a slow rechare using a charger.

Last edited by outofthebox : 30th December 2015 at 18:45. Reason: afterthought
outofthebox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 18:53   #5157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Bike stalled at a traffic junction. Didn't start normally. Finally did after around 10 attempts. Didn't shut off the ignition for the remainder of my trip.

When the gear is engaged along with the clutch, no noise or effect once the self-start is pressed.

I think that it might be related to the side stand sensor, but no warnings or anything.

Got the "Low Battery" late last night but it disappeared after riding for barely 50 feet. All the lights and horn working normally. Perplexing.

Not owning a Duke . But this issue happened once on my Pulsar UG3. The cause was the sensor underneath the clutch level. Dunno if such a sensor exists in Duke. If yes then that could be a probable cause.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 19:05   #5158
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhargavd View Post
The bike starting in neutral but not when clutch is lever is pressed seems to point to clutch having excess play. The gearbox feels the clutch is part engaged and doesn't allow the bike to start.

When in neutral, this is not the issue and the starter would work normally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
All symptoms described point to an end of battery life scenario. It's surely not retaining full charge and not able to deliver cranking current too.

When you engage gear, one or more sensors gets activated, which is drawing current, making even less current available for startup.
I am facing exactly this problem with my Discover 135. I took it for servicing about an year ago and since then, bike refuses to start when in gear and clutch is depressed. I have to shift to neutral to be able to start using electric starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Not owning a Duke . But this issue happened once on my Pulsar UG3. The cause was the sensor underneath the clutch level. Dunno if such a sensor exists in Duke. If yes then that could be a probable cause.
I took bike to service center and they informed that there is some sensor which has gotten damaged and can't be replaced / is expensive to replace (probably to shrug me off) which I did not probe further.

Last edited by ksameer1234 : 30th December 2015 at 19:06. Reason: typos
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 20:03   #5159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Infamous speedo showing 0 surfaces again.

This time, it mostly shown at higher speeds especially when accelerating, that too once in a while. Could this mean batterys end of life, as while accelerating, it needs to provide current to the plug at much faster rate, which its failing to do so?
Earlier two instances of speedo showing zero, but at slower speeds. (reverse of current situation):
FIRST: problem with the rotor coil, failing to keep up the charge.
SECOND: No pukka reason found but was related to earthing issues leading to loss of charge, at lower speeds.

Its been a few months, and now the issue surfaces again, but only at higher revs. What could be the probable issue here?
My Duke 200 too seem to have this issue, battery is brand new so no question about that, if it's a coil issue will the battery get charged? low batter warning goes off after a long ride and speedo starts working after a long ride!
Old 30th December 2015, 20:44   #5160
BHPian

Quote:

The clutch switch might be busted. It's function is to ensure that starter motor doesn't get current when the vehicle is in any gear and clutch lever isn't engaged. Have you tried cranking when the vehicle is in gear and clutch lever isn't engaged? Ideally it should crank giving the vehicle a jerk (Now that the switch is busted)

When the 390 stalls for whatever reason, the electronics supposedly go 'out of' calibration. A complete ignition off (not only engine kill switch) is required to recalibrate and start the engine. Perhaps this was the reason it didn't start after stalling?
Added_flavor is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks