Team-BHP - The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/138082-ktm-duke-390-ownership-experience-thread-316.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by b16h22 (Post 3771785)
Gear shifts have become exceptionally sloppy with time. It requires extra effort to push the lever into 2 from 1.

How old is the oil? I've seen gear shift quality deteriorate rapidly post the two month mark. Rev matching usually improves it though.

Quote:

Gear shifts have become exceptionally sloppy with time. It requires extra effort to push the lever into 2 from 1.

If you can practise and master the quick shifting technique you will hardly find this being an issue.

I hardly use clutch for upshifts and always use the quick shift technique and the way you blip and shift makes it easier for the gears to get locked into.

I have done that in my 390 as well as my now new Fz6R. Shifting is breeze if you get it perfect. The shifting has to happen between decellaration and then acceleration.

The quickshifters that come as add ons simply cuts of acceleration and fuel for a millisecond when you quick shift. This can be done without changing the acceleration or having at full acceleration.

All you have to do without the add ons is to simulate the behavior. When you move from first and usually reduce throttle, depress clutch and change gears, you have to do the reduce throttle and change gear in a synchronous motion and not even bother about clutch.

If you are not comfortable, try preparing for the gear change keeping the toes down on the lever slightly putting a very mild pressure on the gears. Depress clutch and move to second.

Quote:

Gear shifts have become exceptionally sloppy with time. It requires extra effort to push the lever into 2 from 1. Often with a loud sound. And too many false neutrals and miss shifts. With the riding boots I'm finding the need to move my feet a lot to shift gears.

Hey. Though I have never ridden the Duke, riding boots are indeed something that will take a bit of time to adjust to get the feel right, especially with the levers.

As for dodgy shifts, it probably just needs a bit of clutch cable adjustment. With old oil, you might hear a louder noise.

agree:. Clutch and chain slack are the biggest contributors to dodgy shifts. In addition, on most bikes, shifting at higher (>4k) RPMs results in smoother up-shifts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anilp (Post 3771799)
How old is the oil? I've seen gear shift quality deteriorate rapidly post the two month mark. Rev matching usually improves it though.

It's nearing the two month mark. But i don't clock more than 15 kms a day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VW2010 (Post 3771814)
If you can practise and master the quick shifting technique you will hardly find this being an issue.

I'll try clutchless upshifts. Currently I'm preloading the lever just before shifting. Still it's somewhat dodgy shifting from 1-2

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sojogator (Post 3771992)
Hey. Though I have never ridden the Duke, riding boots are indeed something that will take a bit of time to adjust to get the feel right, especially with the levers.

As for dodgy shifts, it probably just needs a bit of clutch cable adjustment. With old oil, you might hear a louder noise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Added_flavor (Post 3771999)
agree:. Clutch and chain slack are the biggest contributors to dodgy shifts. In addition, on most bikes, shifting at higher (>4k) RPMs results in smoother up-shifts.

I'll check the clutch free play.

Quote:

Originally Posted by b16h22 (Post 3772040)
I'll try clutchless upshifts. Currently I'm preloading the lever just before shifting. Still it's somewhat dodgy shifting from 1-2

1-2 is gonna be dodgy unless you shift into 2 at around 6-7k revs.
Don't bother doing any of those things to cure this.

If too much chain slack is an issue, it'll be more than audible each time you go over an undulation; incorrect/insufficient clutch play will manifest in any gear-change and not just from 1st to 2nd.

That said.. Downshifts become smoother AND safer if you match them with a blip of the throttle. Go ahead and enjoy the 45 Indian-made Austrian ponies :thumbs up

Cheers !

Sundar

Guys can someone direct me to a good fng in Bangalore? My friend's 390 has an unresolved oil leak and coolant leak issue. He's tried SVCs at Bangalore, as well as Mysore, yet the issue persists.

While we are at it, contacts of senior KTM guys would be much appreciated. They need to be made aware of the pathetic service meted out by their SVCs.

Quote:

good fng in Bangalore?
Whats a FNG :). I seriously have no clue at this point. Can he ride to chennai? I can recommend a guy who is atleast sincere in the way he looks at problems.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VW2010 (Post 3772543)

Whats a FNG :). I seriously have no clue at this point. Can he ride to chennai? I can recommend a guy who is atleast sincere in the way he looks at problems.

Friendly Neighbourhood Garage. :)

Let's rule out Bangalore/Mysore first. Chennai can be a back up option.
Thanks for the pointer. :)

Quote:

Gear shifts have become exceptionally sloppy with time. It requires extra effort to push the lever into 2 from 1. Often with a loud sound. And too many false neutrals and miss shifts. With the riding boots I'm finding the need to move my feet a lot to shift gears. Is this normal ? Mine is a late 2013 model.

Do you face this issue with regular / non riding shoes as well?

Riding boots will involve a break in period and a learning curve. Initially; you will be robbed of any feel for your foot controls. Get ready for ABS to engage a little more often on the rear wheel too. Also, depending on the profile of your boots; you may need to adjust your shift lever for your foot to get under it with ease. Its literally an under 5 minute job. Check your manual on the "how to". Its very well explained

While you can upshift (even downshift) without your clutch (aka speedshifting); I would not recommend it for regular city riding. This works best when you are riding at a high-ish RPM (definitely above 6k for me) for it to work well. I have found that a quick jab at the clutch lever is much better for me. YMMV though

All the best!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sojogator (Post 3771992)

+1 :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad (Post 3772563)
Do you face this issue with regular / non riding shoes as well?

Riding boots will involve a break in period and a learning curve. Initially; you will be robbed of any feel for your foot controls. Get ready for ABS to engage a little more often on the rear wheel too. Also, depending on the profile of your boots; you may need to adjust your shift lever for your foot to get under it with ease. Its literally an under 5 minute job. Check your manual on the "how to". Its very well explained

While you can upshift (even downshift) without your clutch (aka speedshifting); I would not recommend it for regular city riding. This works best when you are riding at a high-ish RPM (definitely above 6k for me) for it to work well. I have found that a quick jab at the clutch lever is much better for me. YMMV though

All the best!

+1 :thumbs up

It's been the case with regular shoes as well. It used to be slick. Boots are fine. No lack of feel or something. I have been using stiff steel toed safety shoes which i use in workshop. So not much change in shift feel. They were a bit wooden for two days. Now they are fine.

^^ Right. Its off to the A$$ then I guess. Maybe an oil change will do the trick

Do keep us posted on how it goes mate

Quote:

Originally Posted by VW2010 (Post 3772543)

Would you mind recommending this guy to me please? I have an unresolved coolant leakage issue despite repeat visits to the Adyar SVC.

Just clocked 9000kms in a years time on my steed. And also completed my 3rd service to ensure continuation of my warranty. Total cost of service was 2340INR (Major component cost being cone set and labour charge for its fitment ~ 750INR)

I would like to get into highlight of D390 owners that my cone set gave away at just 9000kms which is very bad. Upon investigating found the issue to be frequent washing of the bike (specially pressure wash) resulted in water deposition in the lower base of the handlebar pivot point and resulted in early wearing our of the ball bearing :Frustrati. So just a word of caution on the same!

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20150806_094747533.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20150806_094844751.jpg

Akshay, it looks less to do with washing (frequent or not) and more to do with saline corrosion.