Team-BHP - The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/138082-ktm-duke-390-ownership-experience-thread-31.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by MavericK46 (Post 3207670)
With all the talk about having to acclimatize to the 390s shove, KTMs 'Orange Day' meets along the lines of Yamaha's R15 trackdays seems like a wonderful initiative :thumbs up

The 390 would be overkill and probably not do much better, if at all, than the 200s on the Orange Day tracks, where you are braking more than accelerating most of the time.

@ebonho - Are there any feelers at all about the 390 Adventure? Or is it too guarded a secret?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkaile (Post 3208239)
@ebonho - Are there any feelers at all about the 390 Adventure? Or is it too guarded a secret?

Nothing yet bro. I think we should probably get to hear something, if at all, only after the Pulsar half-twin is out.

Pune KTM received 5 bikes in 1st lot. Out of which 1 is TD, one is on Display and 3 are delivered. They are still letting people circle their building complex for test ride (pathetic). There are about 110 bookings when them and they expect bikes to come in big numbers in Aug 3/4th week.

I am waiting for my ride to come home soon...
Any news on the accessories front? Am looking for the powerpart exhaust / bigger windscreen / engine guard. Any idea how much these cost?

Karthikeya Singhee, Editor of Autocar magazine tweeted about a brand new USED Duke 390 for sale! a few hours ago. So many of us are losing sleep over the delivery delays & this dude here is selling off his 390 !! Facepalm.. I understand that person might have his valid reasons for selling his bike but it seems a bit odd considering the current scenario.

Looks like deliveries are delayed even further - ET says that bike deliveries for local markets start by end-September
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/21863868.cms

The wait just got longer!

This is sad. The only saving grace in this news is that Bajaj is not mulling any price hike as of now.

A price hike won't take long man. All it takes is a news in the papers. The booking papers have a clause anyway that the price will be as per the market price during the delivery date. So if its higher you pay higher unless you have booked it outright.

The dealer here (KTM Vapi) said he's expecting his first lot on 28 or 29 August when I went today to book my 390.

Also, he's saying that insurance has to be compulsorily taken from the dealer and will be Bajaj Allianz with zero depreciation cover. Any other guys here who have booked been given the same spiel? The premium will be around Rs. 7,000. Does that sound alright for a bike costing as much as a Duke 390 with a depreciation cover add on?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freewheelin_KD (Post 3211156)
The dealer here (KTM Vapi) said he's expecting his first lot on 28 or 29 August when I went today to book my 390.

Also, he's saying that insurance has to be compulsorily taken from the dealer and will be Bajaj Allianz with zero depreciation cover. Any other guys here who have booked been given the same spiel? The premium will be around Rs. 7,000. Does that sound alright for a bike costing as much as a Duke 390 with a depreciation cover add on?

There's nothing like that the insurance provider is always the customers choice. That's the idea behind the carry forward of no claim bonus on your previous insurance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90BHP (Post 3206867)
Hi any duke 200 owners in the forum who have owned the 200, do you have any feedback in the maintenance costs, have you faced any plaguing issues with anything in particular. Just need some feedback. Thanks.

Hi 90BHP,

I missed this post, but noticed it when I was going back in the thread. I am a Duke 200 owner, but I don't ride the bike too much (Mainly Weekends), and am just about to clock 5k kilometres on the odometer. That being said, the issues that I have faced with my bike so far seem to be common amongst most of the owners on this forum.

Listing them for everyone's benefit.

> Front brake makes a sound like a rusty drum brake if pressed hard. Was fixed during servicing, but has returned.
> Front right side of the suspension leaked oil, but fixed after the service, and hasn't happened since.
> Very rarely the bike shuts off, and then you cannot get it to move. You can start it, but the moment you slot the gear, it shuts off. You need to let the bike sit for about 2-5 minutes before you can continue (Happened twice in almost 2 years)

A lot of people complain about the bike heating up in traffic, but I think that is to be expected, owing to the tuning of the engine, so I don't consider it a problem, as it has never heated till the danger point.

The bike absolutely hates standstill or slow moving traffic, and I always jokingly tell my pillion that my bike is getting more angry with the traffic than me :)

Haven't really found any other issues with the bike, but maybe the other owners (Doc in particular) would like to add something.

Maintenance has not turned out to be a costly affair either. For the two services I have done so far, I had to shell out 1-2k, but that is also because I bought Motul 7100 oil, which makes the bike run much smoother.

Congrats on booking the Duke 390, it is an absolute beast! And you can take my word that it is worth every single paisa spent on it :thumbs up

Cheers

I got excited by all the hype around the new Duke and went to the local showroom to TD it. While i could not do TD due to non-availability of TD bike, i was really surprised to find the Duke was very uncomfortable for my legs. My knees were virtually sticking out because of the tank extensions. I was disappointed and did not look closely ,but can the tank extensions be removed ? My friend who is 5'6 did not have the same problem. My hopes rest on the adventure edition now :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joxster (Post 3211245)
Hi 90BHP,

I missed this post, but noticed it when I was going back in the thread. I am a Duke 200 owner, but I don't ride the bike too much (Mainly Weekends), and am just about to clock 5k kilometres on the odometer. That being said, the issues that I have faced with my bike so far seem to be common amongst most of the owners on this forum.

Listing them for everyone's benefit.

> Front brake makes a sound like a rusty drum brake if pressed hard. Was fixed during servicing, but has returned.
> Front right side of the suspension leaked oil, but fixed after the service, and hasn't happened since.
> Very rarely the bike shuts off, and then you cannot get it to move. You can start it, but the moment you slot the gear, it shuts off. You need to let the bike sit for about 2-5 minutes before you can continue (Happened twice in almost 2 years)

A lot of people complain about the bike heating up in traffic, but I think that is to be expected, owing to the tuning of the engine, so I don't consider it a problem, as it has never heated till the danger point.

The bike absolutely hates standstill or slow moving traffic, and I always jokingly tell my pillion that my bike is getting more angry with the traffic than me :)

Haven't really found any other issues with the bike, but maybe the other owners (Doc in particular) would like to add something.

Maintenance has not turned out to be a costly affair either. For the two services I have done so far, I had to shell out 1-2k, but that is also because I bought Motul 7100 oil, which makes the bike run much smoother.

Congrats on booking the Duke 390, it is an absolute beast! And you can take my word that it is worth every single paisa spent on it :thumbs up

Cheers

Thanks Joxster. My primary concern is the bike heating in traffic as I have about 5 km if heavy bumper to bumper traffic just hoping the gear ratios help me there. Have been trying to get a test ride outside since sometime but the guys are not even giving the 200 for a test ride now. It has to be driven inside the mall or not all. Thanks for the other info though it helps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chotu_r (Post 3211344)
I got excited by all the hype around the new Duke and went to the local showroom to TD it. While i could not do TD due to non-availability of TD bike, i was really surprised to find the Duke was very uncomfortable for my legs. My knees were virtually sticking out because of the tank extensions. I was disappointed and did not look closely ,but can the tank extensions be removed ? My friend who is 5'6 did not have the same problem. My hopes rest on the adventure edition now :(

The proverbial 'First impression is the Best impression' is just a cliche. When it comes to reality, we all appreciate the finer qualities in others when we get to know a little deeper. My suggestion is not to write off this great machine. I had similar impression when I saw the bike first. I have been an Enfield rider throughout my life. I thought the bike was too small. I am 5.8 tall/short. Then I came across Doc (Ebonho) in this forum. He is 6 plus feet tall and rides a Duke and an Enfield. Respecting his wisdom I went ahead and took the test ride. I am a happy convert now. I suggest you go and take a longer test ride. The bike will illuminate your day. Just suggestion from a fellow biker. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by chotu_r (Post 3211344)

That is only because you are not used to the riding position. I am 5\'10, and I don\'t have any issues with the tank or my legs being uncomfortable at all. The reason why it feels so different is because of where the foot pegs are positioned, but once you get used to the position, it actually becomes very comfortable.

Atleast that\'s the way it was for me, and I have been on a 120 kilometre ride non-stop, and the only thing that was aching was my rear end lol:.
That is more owing to the fact that I\'m not used to long bike rides than anything else.

Cheers!