Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2015, 13:42   #4546
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)
Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
So I replaced my foot rest. But what surprised me was that it cost only Rs 149/- all inclusive.

So the question is to be of low quality or not to. And how do the european customers welcome the quality to cost compromise. Or are they given better quality gears in the export models.

And I am fitting the slipper clutch in my bike. They quoted Rs 10000/- inclusive of all taxes and labour. They are sourcing a few other child parts. The major differences are the clutch assy, cluth cover and some minor child parts.
What are "child" parts?

You really should start a separate thread for the slipper clutch retro conversion. Here in this mammoth thread it will just get lost and help no one.

Please document all parts (preferably with photos of the part and the company packing label).

Please document each step with photos.

Please document all costs.

And after all of that, please document before and after impression and on road performance, seat of the pants feel.

Looking forward to it!
Old 3rd July 2015, 14:12   #4547
BHPian

Quote:
So I replaced my foot rest. But what surprised me was that it cost only Rs 149/- all inclusive.

So the question is to be of low quality or not to. And how do the european customers welcome the quality to cost compromise. Or are they given better quality gears in the export models.

And I am fitting the slipper clutch in my bike. They quoted Rs 10000/- inclusive of all taxes and labour. They are sourcing a few other child parts. The major differences are the clutch assy, cluth cover and some minor child parts.
This is something I have been waiting for. Does it need a bigger clutch cover or its just the inside that is different? And kindly ask the service center guys if the same can be done on RC too.

I know its a lot to ask but as Doc said please start a new thread.

Old 3rd July 2015, 14:42   #4548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And I am fitting the slipper clutch in my bike. They quoted Rs 10000/- inclusive of all taxes and labour.
I had gone for my first servicing of the Duke 390 today. I asked them casually about retrofitting slipper clutches in older models (mine is a new 2015 model) and they said it costs Rs 18,900. As many as 37 items of parts need to be changed, they said.

I am a little surprised by the price difference. Almost double?
Old 3rd July 2015, 14:42   #4549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
What are "child" parts?

You really should start a separate thread for the slipper clutch retro conversion. Here in this mammoth thread it will just get lost and help no one.

Please document all parts (preferably with photos of the part and the company packing label).

Please document each step with photos.

Please document all costs.

And after all of that, please document before and after impression and on road performance, seat of the pants feel.

Looking forward to it!
Sure doc. I will start a separate thread on slipper clutch. Once they give the go ahead, I will document the whole process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehuel View Post
This is something I have been waiting for. Does it need a bigger clutch cover or its just the inside that is different? And kindly ask the service center guys if the same can be done on RC too.

I know its a lot to ask but as Doc said please start a new thread.

The issue is more political. What they said is that since RCs have not yet started coming with a slipper clutch, they are not doing it yet. But yes, you definitely can fit it in the RC. The parts are identical. No, it doesn't. But the clutch cover design is different, so they need to use the part for the slipper clutch.
mithunvvijayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 15:01   #4550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sure doc. I will start a separate thread on slipper clutch. Once they give the go ahead, I will document the whole process.
You've surely got some good contacts, powers of persuasion, and the drive and determination to see something through once you've decided on it.

The price is around the ballpark I've heard as well. The variable component here being mainly the labor.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 18:27   #4551
Senior - BHPian

One of the group member who is into the track tried to put on this in the SVC a couple of weeks ago and failed due to some "mounting problem" as reported by him. Could not get the entire story behind this. So people going for it, get yourself doubly ensured from the SVC.

Also people who have ridden the old and new rides feel only the clutch feel is lighter and there is no slipper clutch experience as on other manufacturer's bikes. Maybe the reason why the KTM is not going ga-ga over this issue.
Old 3rd July 2015, 18:35   #4552
Senior - BHPian

On the Kriegers' website they have a letter from "team KTM" clarifying very categorically that the slipper clutch cannot be fitted to an RC.
Old 3rd July 2015, 18:46   #4553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Also people who have ridden the old and new rides feel only the clutch feel is lighter and there is no slipper clutch experience as on other manufacturer's bikes. Maybe the reason why the KTM is not going ga-ga over this issue.
Good track riders (significantly higher than average proficiency levels) claim there to be a significant advantage. I've heard this from more than one such rider, who fan the clutch and quick drop a couple of gears even on the older version. But that took a lot more control and was less predictable (entry speed proof) than with the slipper clutch.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 20:51   #4554
BHPian

http://www.thekriegers.in/media/phot...clutch-on-390/

This is the link that mentions that retro fitting is not possible. I don't think that the mail singles out RC, i could be wrong but it seems to be inferring about both the Duke and RC.

Mithun if that is the case, you might have some real work cut out for you. I bet all eyes will be on your slipper clutch project. Mine are . along with my best wishes.

Last edited by mehuel : 3rd July 2015 at 20:57.
Old 3rd July 2015, 21:09   #4555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think that the mail singles out RC, i could be wrong but it seems to be inferring about both the Duke and RC.
The question from Kriegers was about both Duke and RC. The answer from KTM is only about RC that it cannot be done.

They have not mentioned anything about Duke either way.

I fail to understand what is wrong with Bajaj's communication strategy and why they are being evasive. Probably they know that ethically they should do the retrofitment for free on older Dukes or charge something very nominal.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2015, 00:03   #4556
BHPian

Quote:
http://www.thekriegers.in/media/phot...clutch-on-390/

This is the link that mentions that retro fitting is not possible. I don't think that the mail singles out RC, i could be wrong but it seems to be inferring about both the Duke and RC.

Mithun if that is the case, you might have some real work cut out for you. I bet all eyes will be on your slipper clutch project. Mine are . along with my best wishes.
Lets see. I am waiting for their call. Hopefully they will call me by next weekend. I dont have any real risk. They are not going to change anything permanently. So.
mithunvvijayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2015, 11:11   #4557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Probably they know that ethically they should do the retrofitment for free on older Dukes or charge something very nominal.
Why do you feel so?

If that were the case, every manufacturer would be retrofitting upgrades on to older model years to kingdom come.

As an example closer to home, the 2015 Storme comes with 10 BHP more, a bigger fuel tank, and a concentric clutch. All of which many of us older Storme owners would have liked on our trucks as well.

Is Tata erring ethically in not retrofitting the same to us free or at a very nominal charge?

Why would existing customers ever buy a newer model? If the company kept upgrading their older versions on their own dollar and keeping them up to date with recent advances? Surely not aging and wear and tear only?

Last edited by ebonho : 4th July 2015 at 11:12.
Old 4th July 2015, 11:54   #4558
Senior - BHPian

I knew someone would definitely say this (though I didn't expect such an aggressive response :-) ). Since this is a safety issue that can be easily retrofitted - of course at a cost - I think it should be done. In any case Bajaj owes it to its customer an official statement on the subject.
Old 4th July 2015, 12:52   #4559
BHPian

Quote:
I knew someone would definitely say this (though I didn't expect such an aggressive response :-) ). Since this is a safety issue that can be easily retrofitted - of course at a cost - I think it should be done. In any case Bajaj owes it to its customer an official statement on the subject.
Slipper clutch is not exactly a safety related equipment for road users. It's only better if you intent to do a lot of track riding AFAIK. But lighter clutch feel could've been a bonus to normal riders.
b16h22 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2015, 16:12   #4560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Am sorry you thought it was an aggressive response. It was probably the overpowering incredulity coming across as such.

That said, no it is not a safety issue at all. The 390s without slipper clutches are perfectly safe bikes with their normal clutches. If your argument is that it would lead to a potential situation if a rider down shifts aggressively and without rpm matching, well then, there is a lot of even more basic buffoonery a rider can do which would result in nasty consequences.

A manufacturer cannot build something that is idiot proof. He can try, as many do. But no one can even remotely hold him responsible if an idiot still gets through the cracks.

Tomorrow if Bajaj introduces ABS on the 200s, you want them to retrofit ABS systems free for old Duke owners? Or even at a cost? Why? Its not their job. They sold a product to a customer who presumably paid money with his eyes open, knowing what was on offer, what the product had, what it did not.

One year later if an improved version is launched for new customers, they similarly pay with their eyes open.

Why would the company take it upon itself to retrofit hundreds of thousands old bikes with the same? There is neither ethics nor business sense in that, any which way I see it.

Only pipe dreams and probably justifiable grumbling of recent old customers who could feel short changed. But then, its technology. Dynamic and ever changing.

Much like a mobile phone or a laptop. How many of those manufacturers do you see retrofitting their old models with new tech?

Hope this response puts my point across in greater detail. The aggression, if still perceived, is continued incredulity.

Last edited by ebonho : 4th July 2015 at 16:18.
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks