Team-BHP - The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/138082-ktm-duke-390-ownership-experience-thread-282.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by VW2010 (Post 3685631)
Doc..you should check the super duke. I saw one in a testing track here in person. Just STUNNING. The machine is simply RAW and the power is delivered not smooth but like the old age non electronic carb. Its just name a super duke for a reason.

I dont mind paying for a super duke than paying for a Fz1 :)

In Chennai? There has been some talk of a big adventure coming .....

Quote:

Originally Posted by VW2010 (Post 3685631)
Doc..you should check the super duke. I saw one in a testing track here in person. Just STUNNING. The machine is simply RAW and the power is delivered not smooth but like the old age non electronic carb. Its just name a super duke for a reason.

I dont mind paying for a super duke than paying for a Fz1 :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 3685655)
In Chennai? There has been some talk of a big adventure coming .....

You should definitely watch this video in case you have not seen already. Goosebumps!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgaVzBrGNuM

IIRC, this thing weighs around 180 odd kg, makes 180 BHP. So basically a horsey for each kilo. No wonder it wheelies the way it does ....... in every gear

:Shockked: clap:

its a costly bike. If you end up importing one, be ready to spend close to 30L+ thats a 3 series :)

But totally worth it when you can basically think of riding a 390 with 180 hp :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad (Post 3685674)
IIRC, this thing weighs around 180 odd kg, makes 180 BHP. So basically a horsey for each kilo. No wonder it wheelies the way it does ....... in every gear

IMHO, this is the most under-rated superbike ever made. It's the dark horse. People go for the Italians, Japs and the Americans but little do they know that the Austrians had this.

It's a part of my dream garage. And I aim to have it within the next 5 years, god willing. I have seen it in flesh, and it's one of those few bikes that has the capability of making me weak in the knees.

If not launched in India by then, I'll probably think about going the 'celebrity way' of getting it in my garage. :uncontrol

KTM has started road side oncall service assistance for rs 800. Its all over India service which includes puncture repair, road side repair and towing. It even includes fuel delivery. I am planning to avail it. They give a unique ID card it seems. They said they have already started giving it along with the new bikes.

Any reliable source to order the KTM outdoor cover online? My local KTM dealership doesn't have stock. And the guys there seems clueless.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan (Post 3685814)
KTM has started road side oncall service assistance for rs 800. Its all over India service which includes puncture repair, road side repair and towing. It even includes fuel delivery..

What's the turn around time? Is it available 24x7? Also, any idea about coverage in terms of distance from nearest service center? Sounds good at the onset.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan (Post 3685814)
KTM has started road side oncall service assistance for rs 800. Its all over India service which includes puncture repair, road side repair and towing. It even includes fuel delivery. I am planning to avail it. They give a unique ID card it seems. They said they have already started giving it along with the new bikes.

Thanks for the update Mithun. Will be heading down to the service center tomorrow and will get more details on the same and post here

Quote:

Originally Posted by anilp (Post 3685828)
What's the turn around time? Is it available 24x7? Also, any idea about coverage in terms of distance from nearest service center? Sounds good at the onset.

I was in a hurry, so I didnt ask in detail. Next time will post the details.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad (Post 3685831)
Thanks for the update Mithun. Will be heading down to the service center tomorrow and will get more details on the same and post here

Sure. Also they had mentioned, that it a tie up with a third party service provider. Please ask the details.

Speaking of super high powered motorcycles in the hands of the average rider, the following 2005 death rate numbers in the USA might be interesting

Standard and cruiser bikes = 5.7/10,000 riders per year
Touring = 6.5/10,000 riders per year
Supersport = 22.5/10,000 riders per year (That's a 39.5 percent increase over standard motorcycles.)

When I see numbers like 150 hp or 180 hp for a motorcycle my first thought is, "Very few people in the world can safely use that power and even the very best competitors crash."
Just watching the MotoGP this week end bears this out. More than a few riders went down and the only reason they weren't badly hurt is because they were on a well designed race course.

Had they been riding on public roads they would have been seriously hurt or killed.

Just something to think about.

Jim

@ArizonaJim,

2005 data. And that data is incomplete for it does not state DUI, looneys and what not. People have been owning R1 for a long time even in India.

Riding a superbike is definitely different. But its no different to riding it safely in any other bike. Superbike requires skill attention and practice which is exactly what even riding a bicycle requires.

As you keep riding your skill gets honed and you are starting to push the limits.

I really dont see how a 30 BHP or a 180 BHP would be any different when you learn it the right way. Even a 100cc bike producing 10bhp is as dangerous when you drive it without necessary skills.

And many of these owners who have superbikes have the skills to ride it the right way and they have been consistently doing it. Check ECR in chennai on sundays. Not that they ride in the best road, or the best way or the best distance, yet they ensure they get together every day.

Motogp to road side is not at all comparable.

Well, looks like KTM CEO is of a similar view point.

"No More Superbikes for KTM – CEO Says They're Too Dangerous For Public Roads"

Article source: http://therideadvice.com/no-more-sup...-public-roads/

Has anyone tried Brembo brake pads for the 200/390?

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...-for-KTM.html/

Looks like Carbon Ceramic pads for the front and Sintered metal for the rear

Quote:

Originally Posted by VW2010 (Post 3685901)
@ArizonaJim,
Riding a superbike is definitely different. But its no different to riding it safely in any other bike. Superbike requires skill attention and practice which is exactly what even riding a bicycle requires.

Motogp to road side is not at all comparable.

I agree with most of your point, the only difference apart from required skill are, most of the superbikes are B]unforgiving [/b]in nature, one mistake( unintentional, a small puddle) and your accelerator goes full throttle, that it you crash, while the other bikes do give you some opportunity to recover. This is the only difference I see and possibly a big contributor to crashes.

-Pramod

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunnyBoi (Post 3685945)
Has anyone tried Brembo brake pads for the 200/390?

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...-for-KTM.html/

Looks like Carbon Ceramic pads for the front and Sintered metal for the rear

Even I was looking for aftermarket pads initially but couldn't find any worth the price. I got exited when I saw these pads for 3.2k! But upon closer look of the pic in the advertisement, the Brembo logo on the pads doesn't look so original to me.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-brembo.jpg

This is how the original one's logo looks.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-_35.jpg