Team-BHP - The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/138082-ktm-duke-390-ownership-experience-thread-279.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by man_of_steel (Post 3681166)
TMay be the 150 section pilot will perform better due to a wider shoulder.

As you've seen for yourself, I have the 150 Michelin as my rear tyre. I've hardly comprehended any difference between it and the Metz. Have taken a lot of corners, normally and aggressively, rode on gravel, rear braked on sand and never has it disappointed me. The life seems to be really good, as the treads right now are pretty much as good as new, even though 2.5k kms have passed since I got them replaced.
Not to forget that it adds a lot to the rear visible appeal of my bike.

As for the front, I'm with you again. Using the Metz out front for reasons known to all of us.

Quote:

The one the pic seems to be the Revz and not the C1. Check the tread pattern.

Seeing the photos, this was my thought too.

Quote:

But Doc, doesnt the Revz shreds itself with the added power of the 390? I thought they gave lesser life on the 390! You may consider the Michellin Pilot Street too. I am using the 140 section for rear now. Good amount of grip even under hard acceleration when the bike is upright. I am satisfied with its performance for the price I paid. But when you reach peg scrapping lean angles I am missing the Metz. The rear definitely steps out under hard acceleration out of a corner. May be the 150 section pilot will perform better due to a wider shoulder. My front tyre has also started to square off and I will be replacing it with Metz.
I thought so too. But in touring, you don't really need the Metzeler. As long as it is rated for your bike's top speed (which the earlier Revz were not), you can happily use the tyre and be circumspect when you happen to hit a set of twisties. In an ideal world, sure I would like to always have Metzelers on my bike. But I've seen the Metzelers on my friend's 390 which has done around 7000 kms now (not too much twisties riding), and the center distinctly is looking flattened/squarish.

So something which has a harder compound in the center would do better. At the very least one could try out the new MRF and dump it if it does not work. Its hardly 3K anyways and am sure it won't be a total disaster. The racers I am talking about, I am very sure they are touring their 390s on the older Duke 200 Revz, not these new C1s. So the C1 will only be better. That's the way I'm looking at it.

Quote:

The one the pic seems to be the Revz and not the C1. Check the tread pattern

I have asked him for clarification. If they are indeed the d200 Revz i think I'll have to negotiate with him. I feel it is not safe running d390 with d200 tyres because of the different speed ratings. And the wet grip difference between Revz and Metzelers are like night and day.

Quote:

If he has them (and they look old, used) then you know he has simply taken them off. If he does not, or gives you brand new looking ones, then you know the bike's been dropped
@Doc.

My hand guards were removed on day 1 and kept inside safe plastic in my home. Even if i had sold it after 2 years, it would have looked new.

For that matter my original 500 front mud guard from 2003 is still wrapped in paper and available as new as it gets :) Doesn't mean my bike was crashed.

Also these hand guards are so flimsy that they get broken even if you hit a handle bar in the parking lot.

Unless i see scratches and dents in the body or frame i cannot deduce a crash with these plastic components.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VW2010 (Post 3682200)
My hand guards were removed on day 1 and kept inside safe plastic in my home. Even if i had sold it after 2 years, it would have looked new..

Same here. I find those really shabby in quality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VW2010 (Post 3682200)
@Doc.

My hand guards were removed on day 1 and kept inside safe plastic in my home. Even if i had sold it after 2 years, it would have looked new.

For that matter my original 500 front mud guard from 2003 is still wrapped in paper and available as new as it gets :) Doesn't mean my bike was crashed.

Also these hand guards are so flimsy that they get broken even if you hit a handle bar in the parking lot.

Unless i see scratches and dents in the body or frame i cannot deduce a crash with these plastic components.

Yup, I agree you have a point. Best take it on a case by case basis.

My 390 had cracked and scratched right side hand guard (on the bike).

Scraped right crash guard. Clean right mirror and right barend weight.

And scraped tip of right foot lever.

As long as bike is tracking stright and not pulling or acting weird on turn-ins, you are ok. A fall is expected in all bikes. No big deal.

Saw the high coolant temperature alert for the first time on the way home last evening, past sunset. I was expecting it as it was bumper to bumper traffic. Pulled over, waited for 5 min, recranked, the alert was gone though the first segment of bars were still full. As progress was smoother due to less traffic (took a turn off from the traffic congested stretch), two bars dropped within a 3km distance. Was relieved.

The odd thing is, when my usual exit time from work is around 4pm and the bike stands idling in the blazing sun (early evening heat is quite bad) for over 2 minutes at a traffic light, the coolant temperature alert has never come up, segment stands just one bar below max. I guess that is probably because the bike has been moving at a steady speed for a considerable distance before coming to a long stop. Bumper to bumper traffic keeps cutting out the radiator fan causing temperature to rise fast.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandeepmohan (Post 3682598)
Saw the high coolant temperature alert for the first time on the way home last evening, past sunset. I was expecting it as it was bumper to bumper traffic. Pulled over, waited for 5 min, recranked, the alert was gone though the first segment of bars were still full. As progress was smoother due to less traffic (took a turn off from the traffic congested stretch), two bars dropped within a 3km distance. Was relieved.

The odd thing is, when my usual exit time from work is around 4pm and the bike stands idling in the blazing sun (early evening heat is quite bad) for over 2 minutes at a traffic light, the coolant temperature alert has never come up, segment stands just one bar below max. I guess that is probably because the bike has been moving at a steady speed for a considerable distance before coming to a long stop. Bumper to bumper traffic keeps cutting out the radiator fan causing temperature to rise fast.

Did you switch off the bike before the High Coolant Temp showed up? May be in a signal or something? Personal experience is that the 95% of the time bike will stay in second but last bar even in B2B traffic when the bike is on. It may reach the last bar in the afternoons. And if you are keeping the bike on in the traffic signal it will/should never throw the high coolant temp warning.

Quote:

Originally Posted by man_of_steel (Post 3682611)
Did you switch off the bike before the High Coolant Temp showed up? May be in a signal or something?

No. I travel from ITPL, Whitefield to Cox Town but via Kadugodi, Old Madras Road highway to reach tin factory, on the return home. It is a near free run till the ring road bridge at tin factory. Just two traffic lights in between and I never shut off the bike. Getting down the ring road bridge at tin factory is always slow as there are idiots who decide it is wise to go over the divider to get on the service road, as it is faster to reach the kasturi nagar turn off. You may follow this only if you know the locality. This causes traffic to inch at <5kmph for a good 300mtrs or more, depends on the day. It is in these situations the engine temperature rises fast and the ecu is undecided if it should keep the fan running or not. I stopped killing a hot engine after one instance where killing the engine and restarting after a short duration resulted in the coolant warning even before I could re crank. That is when I understood that the temperature rises fast when you shut down a hot engine at traffic lights. It is better to leave it idling so there is some air flowing through the radiator and coolant keeps circulating. Trouble is, it feels like you are getting cooked as a result of the heat dissipation from the engine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandeepmohan (Post 3682690)
No. I travel from ITPL, Whitefield to Cox Town but via Kadugodi, Old Madras Road highway to reach tin factory, on the return home. It is a near free run till the ring road bridge at tin factory. Just two traffic lights in between and I never shut off the bike. Getting down the ring road bridge at tin factory is always slow as there are idiots who decide it is wise to go over the divider to get on the service road, as it is faster to reach the kasturi nagar turn off. You may follow this only if you know the locality. This causes traffic to inch at <5kmph for a good 300mtrs or more, depends on the day. It is in these situations the engine temperature rises fast and the ecu is undecided if it should keep the fan running or not. I stopped killing a hot engine after one instance where killing the engine and restarting after a short duration resulted in the coolant warning even before I could re crank. That is when I understood that the temperature rises fast when you shut down a hot engine at traffic lights. It is better to leave it idling so there is some air flowing through the radiator and coolant keeps circulating. Trouble is, it feels like you are getting cooked as a result of the heat dissipation from the engine.

Just to confiirm Sandeep, the accepted wisdom now for the old 390s is to shut off a hot engine, even with the fan whirring, only when one is to park it for any length of time. Right?

Otherwise, leave the engine on.

I agree on the cooking part. Only riding pants and boots prevent your skin from really feeling the blast.

Thank you all for your valuable advises. Picked up him(390) today for 1.57L. Thankfully the front tyres are metzelers and the rear has MRF RevZ -C. Feels great to be a part of this group of D390 owners.

Quote:

Originally Posted by b16h22 (Post 3683448)
Thank you all for your valuable advises. Picked up him(390) today for 1.57L. Thankfully the front tyres are metzelers and the rear has MRF RevZ -C. Feels great to be a part of this group of D390 owners.

Please accept my congratulations on finally owning an amazing motorcycle! :)

Do post some more photos of her.

Quote:

Thank you all for your valuable advises. Picked up him(390) today for 1.57L. Thankfully the front tyres are metzelers and the rear has MRF RevZ -C..

Congrats :) This will be one great ride that can be ripped without fear of the bike falling apart. Do share how the Revz fares.

Quote:

Congrats on your choice. If you had bought 200, you would always have wondered what if.

Quote:

Originally Posted by barcalad (Post 3683469)
Please accept my congratulations on finally owning an amazing motorcycle! :)

Do post some more photos of her.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anilp (Post 3683725)
Congrats :) This will be one great ride that can be ripped without fear of the bike falling apart. Do share how the Revz fares.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan (Post 3683865)
Congrats on your choice. If you had bought 200, you would always have wondered what if.

Thank you all. She is not too intimidating to novice riders like me. Took absolutely no time to get accustomed to the upright riding position. Clutch is not too heavy and i felt if you take her easy with plenty of respect, she will not bite your head off. Handling is perfect on all surfaces which was not a surprise. I'm sure it'll take years to explore the limits of this thing. Heat is bearable. Vibrations are not too disturbing. I was expecting an absolute nightmare of a concrete slab for the seat but i was pleasantly surprised. Its perfect for me. Even sat pillion for two hours in very hot and humid conditions. It was not too bad at all and i'm not really slim by any measure weighing around 85-90 kilos. Picking up some riding gear tomorrow including a mesh-cordura jacket, pair of gloves, and an mt revenge helmet. Knee protectors and proper riding boots are on the list of things to purchase in the future.

Some photos from my lovely n6 as i don't have a dedicated camera with me:D

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20150412_102037_small.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20150412_102107_small.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20150412_102141_small.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20150412_102230_small.jpg