Team-BHP - The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/138082-ktm-duke-390-ownership-experience-thread-249.html)

@akshay Thanks for confirming.

Have a query to all. As you know there are 7 allen key bolts around the fuel filler cap which tightens to the fuel tank underneath. On my bike out of these 7 bolts, I am able to tighten only 3. The rest are freely rotating and is short to even reach the fuel tank underneath. Now, the question is, is it same with all the bikes or is it some mounting problem with m bike's fuel tank?

Thank in advance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by man_of_steel (Post 3628237)

Have a query to all. As you know there are 7 allen key bolts around the fuel filler cap which tightens to the fuel tank underneath. On my bike out of these 7 bolts, I am able to tighten only 3. The rest are freely rotating and is short to even reach the fuel tank underneath. Now, the question is, is it same with all the bikes or is it some mounting problem with m bike's fuel tank?

Yes! Its the same on my bike too!
I read your post and immediately ran down with an Allen-key. Only the alternate bolts seem to lock-tight; the rest appear to be dummy bolts! Strange! Cost cutting exercises, maybe?

Quote:

Originally Posted by schakravarthy (Post 3628266)
I read your post and immediately ran down with an Allen-key. Only the alternate bolts seem to lock-tight; the rest appear to be dummy bolts! Strange! Cost cutting exercises, maybe?

Thanks for confirming! I just checked with another friend of mine and he too confirmed that only 3 or 4 of those bolts does the actual job of tightening to the fuel tank while the others are just dummy bolts.

It does'nt look like a cost cutting exercise. Actually only those 3 or 4 of that bolts are required to hold the plastic shroud over the fuel tank. The rest are all there for pure aesthetics. :)

I was in a kind of 'What the hell??' state for the past two days over this particular observation! I was keenly searching for any misalignment/improper seating of the fuel tank! stupid:

Quote:

Originally Posted by schakravarthy (Post 3628266)

I remember you telling me your fuel cap rattles. Now you can open the fuel cap, wherever there are dummy screws, add thin nuts and tighten them. Use loctite for the remaining bolts when putting them in and tighten. Problems solved :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunnyBoi (Post 3628356)
I remember you telling me your fuel cap rattles.

With so many parts vibrating away to glory, I'm not sure which part is responsible for that irritating sound I told you about. ;) But if I was forced to pick a source, I guess I would say its the flap that covers the fuel key hole.
Anyway, let's sort it out this weekend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by schakravarthy (Post 3628367)
With so many parts vibrating away to glory, I'm not sure which part is responsible for that irritating sound I told you about. ;) But if I was forced to pick a source, I guess I would say its the flap that covers the fuel key hole.
Anyway, let's sort it out this weekend.

Two days back, I tightened the front windshield and the number plate holder nuts. For a while, all the vibrations vanished. Now they are creeping back. I think, by inserting rubber washers might solve the problem. Will check and tell.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan (Post 3628409)
Two days back, I tightenes the front wibshield and the number plate holder nuts. For a while, all the vibrations vanished. Now they are creeping back. I think, by inserting rubber washers might solve the problem. Will check and tell.

Get hold of a small bottle of loctite blue and put a small drop on the threads before putting the nut back on. Once tightened, ti will prevent the nut from working loose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshayhonda (Post 3627401)

Just got the MRA replica windshield for my Duke 390 from Aliexpress.com....

Looks good! :thumbs up

From the pics, it appears that only the base portion of the windshield is fixed and the top is suspended. Doesn't this cause any flex due to windblast at higher speeds? The Fazer visor transplant on my bike has supports at both the top and the bottom, hence the question! :)

Also, please share the product link.

.. And, a few more close up shots of the windshield would be much appreciated! ( does it have 'KTM' etched at the bottom? )

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by schakravarthy (Post 3628492)
The Fazer visor transplant on my bike has supports at both the top and the bottom

Can you please share a picture of the same?

Here is the link for this visor BTW.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Doubl...040678806.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by man_of_steel (Post 3628237)
@akshay Thanks for confirming.
Have a query to all. As you know there are 7 allen key bolts around the fuel filler cap which tightens to the fuel tank underneath.
======
Thank in advance.

Same in my case too. Only 3 bolts are in use!

Quote:

Originally Posted by schakravarthy (Post 3628492)
Looks good! :thumbs up

From the pics, it appears that only the base portion of the windshield is fixed and the top is suspended. Doesn't this cause any flex due to windblast at higher speeds? The Fazer visor transplant on my bike has supports at both the top and the bottom, hence the question! :)

Also, please share the product link.

.. And, a few more close up shots of the windshield would be much appreciated! ( does it have 'KTM' etched at the bottom? )

Thanks.

After installation I took it to max speed of about 120-125kph (Don't remember coorectly lol:) but the screen did not show any signs of flex.

Yes, it has KTM etched on the bottom end of it.

Also I would want a favour from you. Can you share the images of your bikes windscreen where the mountings are visible (Top mountings specially) because in case I have to do a 'Jugaad' later on I will have a properly testd reference :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by man_of_steel (Post 3628555)

Can you please share a picture of the same?

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshayhonda (Post 3628599)

Can you share the images of your bikes windscreen where the mountings are visible (Top mountings specially) because in case I have to do a 'jugaad' later on I will have a properly testd reference :)

Here you go! :)

Name:  ForumRunner_20150122_103253.png
Views: 1240
Size:  915.0 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20150122_103324.png
Views: 1182
Size:  915.4 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20150122_103354.png
Views: 1130
Size:  748.5 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20150122_103418.png
Views: 1122
Size:  914.0 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20150122_103454.png
Views: 1145
Size:  801.6 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20150122_103522.png
Views: 1139
Size:  751.9 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20150122_103551.png
Views: 1090
Size:  731.9 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20150122_103620.png
Views: 1103
Size:  714.4 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20150122_103659.png
Views: 1040
Size:  856.6 KB

Quote:

Originally Posted by schakravarthy (Post 3628918)

While most would drool over the windscreen, I'd say you've done a fabulous job on the hand guards. Some amazing creativity and finishing, that! Would post pictures of mine too, soon. It sure as hell contributes to the charm and overall look of the bike.

Quote:

Originally Posted by schakravarthy (Post 3628918)

Thanks a ton schakravarthy :)

The job looks too neat. To adda few pointers went out on a ride today on my bike to test the windscreen. Took it to 100+ kmph for quite sometime. Did not see any flex in the screen. Wind protection was really good (Will be of super help in rains here in Goa) all and all Im impressed and will recommend this to all.

Shall post finer pics sooner.

I recently acquired a duke390 and I'm finding it hard to take my mind off the number of vibrating and rattling parts. Thanks to my OCD tendencies and the vibe free R15 that I owned previously.
1.I have solved most of the rattles except the belly pan and MID rattles between 2500-4000rpm. Any pointers as to what can be done?

My daily commute of 8km traverses through 4-5 traffic signals.
2.Am I better off switching the bike off or letting it
idle(most ppl frown at the sound the bike makes:Frustrati) considering the fuel efficiency and coolant temperture.

3. The fuel efficiency / average values vanishes sometimes. May be it is some sort of loose connection that I couldn't replicate at the svc. Rest of the MID features works flawlessly.

PS- I know a big single vibrates and I am ready to live with the vibrations from the seat and foot pegs but not rattles. Apart from that its been a blissful ownership.