Team-BHP - The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/138082-ktm-duke-390-ownership-experience-thread-236.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArizonaJim (Post 3587960)
Your findings indicate the front brake is not dragging and overheating so ruling that out leaves several other possibilities.

Another possibility is some air has entered your brake system. This usually produces a "spongy" feeling in the brake lever. It can be corrected by bleeding the brakes hydraulic system.

Also possible is a break down of the rubber hose that connects the master cylinder at the hand grip to the brake caliper. This can also create a spongy feeling in the hand grip. If the hose has a woven metal braiding on it the reinforced hose may produce poor braking when little pressure is applied but seem normal when a great deal of pressure is applied. This can be a dangerous condition and can only be repaired by replacing the defective hose.

Because the Duke has ABS, it's possible the ABS control has developed a problem. As you know, the ABS will reduce the braking power if it detects a wheel lock up. A defective ABS may be reducing the braking power even though the wheel is not locking up.

Please make a major point of your brake issues when you have your motorcycle serviced. Make sure they totally understand that the issue grows worse after using the brakes hard while riding for some distance.
You do not want their mechanic to take it on a once around the block ride only to return and tell you "everything is fine".

Thank you for the detailed reply , covers everything possible and thanks for the heads-up about how to clean the brakes . No I have not cleaned them yet so we can rule that out .

From your reply , this particular line describes my case , I am not sure if the hose is reinforced but great deal of pressure as you put it is accurate -
" If the hose has a woven metal braiding on it the reinforced hose may produce poor braking when little pressure is applied but seem normal when a great deal of pressure is applied. "

I will convey this and the suggestions from you to him . I am exactly worried about him telling me it is all in my head(as you warned in your last para) hence I wanted to be aware of all possible causes before conveying the same to SVC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motard_Blr (Post 3588033)
@basuroy
I agree with Jim's advice but have you compared the braking of your bike to another 390? Brand new brake pads do tend to be a bit grabby and as they bed-in the bite reduces a bit until it becomes constant. This effect is more pronounced with new bikes since both the pads and the discs are new and have flat surfaces.

That is the major limitation I face here , no fellow dukes or for that matter even similar bike riders to compare with . They have sold a grand total of 4 390's here including mine and I don't know any of them , they don't even have a test ride bike . Your explanations is reasonable , I can live with lesser stopping power but it is the increased pressure I have to apply now ( riding with gloves makes it even more difficult ) that is the major turn off . Almost have to squeeze it as far as it can go with 2 fingers before I feel some real stopping power .

Quote:

Originally Posted by anilp (Post 3588116)
I'm asking this because I saw the same issue happen to my bike twice in the initial days. Both the times the guys had just plonked the dispenser nozzle in the tank and walked away for other work. Thankfully the gauge started working normally after some time. Although I'm not sure that is the case, insist that the pump guys fill petrol carefully every time you fill up.

The duke gauge takes about a minute or two after you have topped up the tank before it starts filling the gauge a bar at a time . I myself was confused once when I noticed this but this is normal , a fellow duke 200 rider from the forum observed the same with his bike .

Quote:

Originally Posted by basuroy (Post 3588269)

...it is the increased pressure I have to apply now ( riding with gloves makes it even more difficult ) that is the major turn off . Almost have to squeeze it as far as it can go with 2 fingers before I feel some real stopping power .

Summary of likely causes:

A. If the lever feel has not changed but the brake has lost it's "bite": Brake pad contamination.

B. Level feel changed (feels spongy or you can't feel the point at which the brake starts to apply) and the lever travel has increased: Air in the brake line.

C. Lever travel has increased over time but the lever feel is almost normal: Insufficient brake fluid in the reservoir. Check for leaks.

I suggest you go back to the showroom and ask to test ride their demo bike just to compare with your own.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motard_Blr (Post 3588282)
Summary of likely causes:

A. If the lever feel has not changed but the brake has lost it's "bite": Brake pad contamination.

B. Level feel changed (feels spongy or you can't feel the point at which the brake starts to apply) and the lever travel has increased: Air in the brake line.

C. Lever travel has increased over time but the lever feel is almost normal: Insufficient brake fluid in the reservoir. Check for leaks.

I suggest you go back to the showroom and ask to test ride their demo bike just to compare with your own.

Thank you :) ,Point B looks like it .

They don't have a test ride bike , normally offer one on delivery bikes if the bike is not booked by a customer .

Quote:

No I have not cleaned them yet so we can rule that out .

Ever taken your bike for a pressure wash?

Quote:

They have sold a grand total of 4 390's here including mine and I don't know any of them
In the old days we used to catch Bullet guys off the street and ask them to join us for rides.

Surely you can get their numbers and speak to them?

Quote:

The duke gauge takes about a minute or two after you have topped up the tank before it starts filling the gauge a bar at a time . I myself was confused once when I noticed this but this is normal , a fellow duke 200 rider from the forum observed the same with his bike .

Yeah, I'm aware of this delay. During the times I mentioned, the gauge was off for a couple of hours.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 3588222)
Useful Duke Trivia

If the rubber bands holding the tool kit to the pillion seat break or are lost etc., and you cannot find the original ones the company gives with the bike (which is almost always), then the best solution is to use Bajaj Pulsar NS 200's oil filter O-ring (Part No. JG571016). List Price Rs. 5.07 each. :)

Attachment 1312068

Doc, this rocks. Thanks a ton :) I've been looking for this for ages since the bands are never in stock at the SVCs.

Mods, can you merge this with earlier reply, please? Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anilp (Post 3588303)
Doc, this rocks. Thanks a ton :) I've been looking for this for ages since the bands are never in stock at the SVCs.

Mods, can you merge this with earlier reply, please? Thanks.

Glad to help bro. I got my bike from the previous owner without the rubbers.

1) the khat khat of the tool kit moving inside when the bike went over bumps was getting on my male parts

2) the fat cycle tube rubbers given to me by the Kolhapur SVC proved to be too weak, and broke within days.

These O rings are designed to take high pressure and temperature stresses. And they fit perfectly. I do not take the credit for this find though, as both SVCs in Pune are regularly advising this to customers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 3588296)
Ever taken your bike for a pressure wash?

In the old days we used to catch Bullet guys off the street and ask them to join us for rides.

Surely you can get their numbers and speak to them?

Nopes no wash not even at home , only dusted it with dry clothe and cleaned the while plastic surfaces with collin spray a few times , made sure none found their way to the rotors . The rotors themselves appear clean and no rusts or foreign fluid .

I have so far spotted 390's only twice , one duke ridden by a man with no helmet or even shoes and a rc390 in the parking lot of the only mall here . Yes I suppose i can get their number from the manager but don't wish to go to that extent .

Quote:

Originally Posted by anilp (Post 3588299)
Yeah, I'm aware of this delay. During the times I mentioned, the gauge was off for a couple of hours.

Oh that is abnormal I guess .

Quote:

Originally Posted by basuroy (Post 3588360)
Nopes no wash not even at home , only dusted it with dry clothe and cleaned the while plastic surfaces with collin spray a few times , made sure none found their way to the rotors . The rotors themselves appear clean and no rusts or foreign fluid .

You have not washed your bike once in 900 kms?!!!!! :Shockked:

Quote:

Yes I suppose i can get their number from the manager but don't wish to go to that extent .
Pity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 3588363)
You have not washed your bike once in 900 kms?!!!!! :Shockked:

Pity.

No , it is not that dirty either , the orange rims and the white plastic parts are the major dirt source , the rims I simply wipe clean with clothe while plastic parts get colin spray . How often do you wash yours ? I suppose they will wash during the first service , any particular area one need to avoid spraying directly with pressurized water ?

Why pity ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by basuroy (Post 3588383)
How often do you wash yours ?

After every out of city ride. Which is every weekend. On my own. With bucket, microfiber cloth, shampoo, cotton waste, and toothbrush.

Quote:

Why pity ?
Because you are unwilling to take the effort in the real world. But want faceless others to do it for you online.

Quote:

Originally Posted by basuroy (Post 3588383)
No , it is not that dirty either , the orange rims and the white plastic parts are the major dirt source , the rims I simply wipe clean with clothe while plastic parts get colin spray . How ofte?

Don't forget to lube the chain regularly. Manual says every 500 kms but it's safer to inspect visually and lube if it looks even slightly dry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 3588388)
Because you are unwilling to take the effort in the real world. But want faceless others to do it for you online.

I apologize for my apparent laziness but for the particular discussion on hand , this is a change that I have observed in my own bike and even if another behaved similarly , I will still be concerned why it has changed like that .

This forum has been very generous to me , I realize my contribution are dwarfed by the specific help I myself receive and I am only grateful for that . I however do not feel I am taking unfair advantage of someone when they offer me their time and only thankful for it and hope one day I can assist someone else similarly , I can only regret it if that is the impression you get off me .

Quote:

Originally Posted by anilp (Post 3588389)
Don't forget to lube the chain regularly. Manual says every 500 kms but it's safer to inspect visually and lube if it looks even slightly dry.

Lubed it around 400km mark , lube in question is OKS chain lube purchased from bajaj svc . Do you lube it from both outside and inside or just inside ? I did only from inside , it still sprayed some on the rims .

Quote:

Originally Posted by basuroy (Post 3588643)
Do you lube it from both outside and inside or just inside ? I did only from inside , it still sprayed some on the rims .

More inside, just a slight spray outside. Leave it overnight before you ride if possible. It's all going to splatter on the rim anyways! :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by basuroy (Post 3588643)
I did only from inside , it still sprayed some on the rims .

Inside should be just fine. If you look at some you tube videos you will notice that most top garages do it only on the inside for SBK's too! So lubing on the inside works. And as anilp mentions, you have to leave it for at least a few hours before you ride.

I follow the below steps for lubing the chain:
1. Clean the chain using chain clean
2. Run the bike for a few kms to ensure the chain is hot
3. Use the chain lube right after the ride as it helps get the lube absorbed if the chain is hot.
4. Leave the bike unused for an hour or 2.
5. Ride away !!

If on a multiple day ride and I dont have time to clean the chain, i just use the spray to ensure the chain does not dry up (specially when caught up in the rains).