Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2014, 12:23   #3481
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Any specific reason for the upsize? More power wheelies??
Speaking of power wheelies , is it possible to do the same in 1st gear (stock bike of course )? I tried like a dozen time from a rolling start of 10 kmph speed by smacking open the throttle but all I felt was a lightness which is expected . Not that I am complaining as stability is always good but curious as I recall reading one can pop power wheelies on this bike .
Old 21st November 2014, 12:28   #3482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
Speaking of power wheelies , is it possible to do the same in 1st gear (stock bike of course )? I tried like a dozen time from a rolling start of 10 kmph speed by smacking open the throttle but all I felt was a lightness which is expected . Not that I am complaining as stability is always good but curious as I recall reading one can pop power wheelies on this bike .
At 85 kilos, all my "power" is stuck to the ground. Ditto stoppies and other misc. acrobatics.
Old 21st November 2014, 12:31   #3483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In first gear, hell yes!! It does that even in second gear as per my understanding. Though I am not a wheelie freak (nor do i know how to pull off a wheelie) I have experienced front wheel lift off while aggressively cracking open the throttle in second gear post 6k RPM or so. But that is mostly in Ghat sections just after u-turns. Dont know if the gradient is a contributing factor to this.

PS: I remember a couple of times when I cracked open the throttle in second gear and the front end came up while the bike was still recovering from the lean. And the rear Metz Just put down that raw power to the road without any drama whatsoever. Those are the times when you realize that this is indeed a machine with capabilities that far far exceeds your talent as an average rider.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 21st November 2014 at 12:41.
Old 21st November 2014, 12:36   #3484
BHPian

Quote:
Not for power wheelies As it turns out I am not that adventurous. My idea is to reduce the overall gear spacing. In crawling traffic, I want to reduce the use of my clutch. And also I am not a fan of mileage and top speed. I mostly drive at 80-120 kph in high ways. So I can use the acceleration from the upsizing.
Old 21st November 2014, 12:41   #3485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
Not for power wheelies As it turns out I am not that adventurous. My idea is to reduce the overall gear spacing. In crawling traffic, I want to reduce the use of my clutch. And also I am not a fan of mileage and top speed. I mostly drive at 80-120 kph in high ways. So I can use the acceleration from the upsizing.
A lot of your earlier posts were about how you enjoyed the lazy long stroked low rpm nature of the Bullet.

This mod of yours is moving in the opposite direction. Even highway cruising speeds are going to be at higher rpm's than stock.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2014, 13:07   #3486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
At 85 kilos, all my "power" is stuck to the ground. Ditto stoppies and other misc. acrobatics.
Ahhh weight might prove decisive though I am at 75 now

Few other things , what is the maximum speed possible in 3rd gear ?

Is the 5th gear an overdrive ? because it feels really calm and mellow .

Quote:
In first gear, hell yes!! It does that even in second gear as per my understanding. Though I am not a wheelie freak (nor do i know how to pull off a wheelie) I have experienced front wheel lift off while aggressively cracking open the throttle in second gear post 6k RPM or so. But that is mostly in Ghat sections just after u-turns. Dont know if the gradient is a contributing factor to this.

PS: I remember a couple of times when I cracked open the throttle in second gear and the front end came up while the bike was still recovering from the lean. And the rear Metz Just put down that raw power to the road without any drama whatsoever. Those are the times when you realize that this is indeed a machine with capabilities that far far exceeds your talent as an average rider.
Wow that is significantly different to my experience , almost light and day . Tell me is your bike from the initial batches ? While going through the ownership threads , I recall many observing bikes posts feb 2014 seemed "Calmer" than the initial lot . In a way this is good for me though as I am not one for unexpected wheelies . How much did it lift off ? Mine at best prolly went up an inch lol .

Last edited by basuroy : 21st November 2014 at 13:11.
Old 21st November 2014, 13:11   #3487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
A lot of your earlier posts were about how you enjoyed the lazy long stroked low rpm nature of the Bullet.

This mod of yours is moving in the opposite direction. Even highway cruising speeds are going to be at higher rpm's than stock.
But with duke, I shed my laziness. I am getting more and more comfortable in post 7000 rpms. And I don't know if I will look like a fool but I've got to try it.
Old 21st November 2014, 13:24   #3488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow that is significantly different to my experience , almost light and day . Tell me is your bike from the initial batches ? While going through the ownership threads , I recall many observing bikes posts feb 2014 seemed "Calmer" than the initial lot . In a way this is good for me though as I am not one for unexpected wheelies . How much did it lift off ? Mine at best prolly went up an inch lol .
Mine is a late 2013 model. I have ridden newer batch 390s too. I did not find the new ones any less wilder than the old. And, I do'nt know how much the front might have lifted off. But for sure it came off the ground by a noticable bit!

And probably the day and night difference you felt might be difference in our riding style. I rarely go easy on the throttle except in traffic conditions. And I usually crack open the throttle when the road opens up. And on this bike, there is a definite difference between quickly rolling on the throttle and cracking it open.
Old 21st November 2014, 13:36   #3489
BHPian

Quote:
Mine is a late 2013 model. I have ridden newer batch 390s too. I did not find the new ones any less wilder than the old. And, I do'nt know how much the front might have lifted off. But for sure it came off the ground by a noticable bit!

And probably the day and night difference you felt might be difference in our riding style. I rarely go easy on the throttle except in traffic conditions. And I usually crack open the throttle when the road opens up. And on this bike, there is a definite difference between quickly rolling on the throttle and cracking it open.
Agree there is difference between how the throttle is applied . The power wheelie attempts I carried out were cracking it as fast as I can from the rolling speed of 10kmph with clutch engaged completely . The difference I suppose is down to how hard I am grabbing the handle and how much weight I am shifting through my wrists to the bars , I by nature lean to the front when accelerating like that . BTW speaking of throttle response/control , I enjoy doing this - instead of going full WOT , I take the bike up till 7 or 8 k rpm and then smack it open if the road permits , that kick in the gut feeling is mind blowing . Slow down , repeat , slow down , repeat - treating the bike like a toy lol .
Old 21st November 2014, 17:22   #3490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Speaking of power wheelies , is it possible to do the same in 1st gear
Never tried power wheelies (scardy cat I am). Heck, in 1st gear, even a clutch up wheelie feels rather violent. Just be careful dude, 12'o clocking it and not being ready for it can be injurious to your butt

As a starting point, try clutching it in 2nd (difficult, really need to get the revs up). 1st is almost effortless. Sweet spot is around 8k RPM (to pop the clutch)

Goes without saying, be mindful of your environment. Try and find a clean, empty spot to do this (My office's basement parking works for me)
Old 21st November 2014, 17:32   #3491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
(My office's basement parking works for me)
Guess we need a Duke show in your office basement
Old 21st November 2014, 17:52   #3492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Never tried power wheelies (scardy cat I am). Heck, in 1st gear, even a clutch up wheelie feels rather violent. Just be careful dude, 12'o clocking it and not being ready for it can be injurious to your butt

As a starting point, try clutching it in 2nd (difficult, really need to get the revs up). 1st is almost effortless. Sweet spot is around 8k RPM (to pop the clutch)

Goes without saying, be mindful of your environment. Try and find a clean, empty spot to do this (My office's basement parking works for me)
I am dead scared of clutch wheelies lol (6 years back in college with no idea how to ride bike really , stupid friend agreed to my stupid request of letting me ride his rd350 - didn't fall but came pretty close lol ), the reason I tried power wheelie is because they are easier to control and normally not as violent as a clutch wheelie gone wrong . Don't intend to try a clutch wheelie either anytime soon .

BTW on the topic of clutch , while trying to practice feet up tight u-turns, I am facing difficulty finding that sweet spot while slipping clutch .Somehow I just can't nail it with this bike . Do you think playing with clutch play or something else might help ?
Old 21st November 2014, 18:19   #3493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchy_cool View Post
Guess we need a Duke show in your office basement
It's already on. The guards are in full attendance. Lol

@ Basu - This is probably the first time I ever heard that power wheelies were more manageable than clutch. but hey, whatever works for you dude. Do keep us posted though on how it goes. Probably getting a quick throttle might help your cause.

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 21st November 2014 at 18:44.
Old 21st November 2014, 22:12   #3494
BHPian

This is the data I got from www.gearcommander.com

The stock ratio is 15/45

And the custom ratio I require is 15/47

Could any one please tell me how to find out if the stock chain length is adequate for a 47 spoke size rear sprocket.

The top pic is for stock set up

The bottom pic is for 47 size sprocket
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-stock.jpg  

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-custom.jpg  

Last edited by mithunvvijayan : 21st November 2014 at 22:14. Reason: Adding on
Old 21st November 2014, 23:22   #3495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW on the topic of clutch , while trying to practice feet up tight u-turns, I am facing difficulty finding that sweet spot while slipping clutch .Somehow I just can't nail it with this bike . Do you think playing with clutch play or something else might help ?
Glad to know that you are practicing this! Great job.

Usually it is easy as far as you are maintaining steady left hand fingers and steady throttle. Which gear are you trying this? Ff you cant make it in the first gear, try the longer second gear.

PS: dragging the rear brake is required along with slipping the clutch to prevent jerking while those tight turns.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks