Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2013, 08:12   #241
BHPian

re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
Today evening I went back to the KTM showroom in lower parel to check of I could get the test ride of the 390 however the guy said he hasn't received the demo bike as yet however he can offer the 200 for a ride instead which I sprung upon as I had yet to try one out. The minute I put the bike in gear I realized the hunger that the engine generates & how fast it wants to be ridden. I used to ride a 200CC Avenger before this and although it was a fast bike it was nothing close to this. Now this has got me thinking if a bike as powerful as the 390 will be feasible for city riding. I need a bike as a commuting option with a long trip or two in a few months. Has anyone else who has ridden the bike tell me if you found the bike as power hungry as the 200. Have the revised gear ratios given of a better power drive to ease city riding. I have booked the bike already but just in two minds right now. Will be taking the CBR 250 test ride also in this week to gauge the same thing. Also I am 6 ft plus i found the pushed back pedals a bit uncomfortable but guess it will take getting used to it.
I test rode the 390 a few days back, it is a beautiful motorcycle.

From the commuter point of view it might not really suit your purpose in bumper to bumper traffic.It definitely makes a fair bit of power for a small single.Idles at around 1500rpm if I remember correctly and starts to generate most of its power and torque higher up in the rev range, even though the gearbox is close ratio it does hate to be ridden at low revs and as other riders have mentioned tends to run a little hot in traffic

IMO would not buy this if 75% of my ride was in Mumbai traffic.
Old 8th July 2013, 15:48   #242
BANNED

Took a test ride at the KTM Vashi yesterday. The ride was with a 80 kg..ish pillion on board. It is quick, very quick and has very good brakes. Due to the traffic, uneven roads and rain i could not go all out. I could feel the bike heat up after the test ride, i guess thats normal. You can feel the engine clutter at low rpms but it smoothens out once you revv higher. I wish it had a analog tacho atleast ( i hit the revv limiter once ), will take some time getting used to the all digital console. Wish they had more color options.

Few observations :-

* This is a proper naked street bike so don't expect comfort like a Karizma.
* With the speeds this beast can do, Bajaj / KTM needs to offer the windscreen as a standard.
* Since there is no center stand, one will need a paddock style stand which is available as an accessory. Rs 3000 approx.

Last edited by heavy_foot : 8th July 2013 at 15:49.
Old 8th July 2013, 16:31   #243
BHPian

Have paid the full amount.
Waiting for a confirmed delivery date from the Dealer. The waiting is rather infuriating.
I believe this is because Bajaj have not planned too high a capacity for this bike, hence the initial "wait".
What do you guys think will the D390 per month figures will be like in terms of Sales??
Old 8th July 2013, 23:53   #244

Rode the Test bike in Delhi today around the CP inner circle a few times. Even with the Bajaj attendant sitting behind me, it brought a huge grin to my life. In this world of diet alternatives, its like suddenly being served full cream punjabi lassi, with a generous dollop of malai on top. The only time i experienced such automotive nirvana was when i first rode my newly bought Pulsar 180 after years of riding the Bajaj Legend.
Whatever God of autodom you pray to, whether its torque, speed, balance, agility or just that plain feeling of your pants being on fire, the Duke 390 will not leave you unrewarded.
I've ridden the Ninja 250 over long distances and it just felt like a faster version of my pulsar with more onlooker-attention than i care for. I also owned the first gen 200 Duke (february 2012 deliveries) and that was a bike that made me forget everything else (office, traffic, heat, the impending recession, the price of petrol) in its mad pursuit of gears and revs. That bike has now been sacrificed in the pursuit of a few (a lot) more bhp.
To anybody in love with the idea of biking, with the holy trinity of the man, the machine and the tarmac, i would suggest, nay request, to take a test ride.
This bike is a spiritual thing. It doesn't give the hooligan a bad name, just that the street fighter has now grown up and wearing a pin striped italian suit and smoking a cigar.
For once, the sequel is better than the original. Cheers
Kushagra_bhat is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 02:39   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocamp View Post
I test rode the 390 a few days back, it is a beautiful motorcycle.

From the commuter point of view it might not really suit your purpose in bumper to bumper traffic.It definitely makes a fair bit of power for a small single.Idles at around 1500rpm if I remember correctly and starts to generate most of its power and torque higher up in the rev range, even though the gearbox is close ratio it does hate to be ridden at low revs and as other riders have mentioned tends to run a little hot in traffic

IMO would not buy this if 75% of my ride was in Mumbai traffic.

That's my only grouse. I am waiting for this weekend to ride the 390 properly on the open road. My heart is riding it in my dreams & my heads going crazy trying to make it stop !!! Only a ride would tell...
Old 9th July 2013, 09:03   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
That's my only grouse. I am waiting for this weekend to ride the 390 properly on the open road. My heart is riding it in my dreams & my heads going crazy trying to make it stop !!! Only a ride would tell...
For me its all about connecting with the motorcycle, if you ride a bike and feel that connection (and you can afford it ) go for it!

Motorcycles aren't for practically minded people anyway!
Old 9th July 2013, 16:24   #247
Senior - BHPian

What little bit information I got was that the test ride bikes have/had Thermostat issues .They are in the process of fine tuning it .

@kushagra bhat ,did you notice excessive heat from the radiator ?
black12rr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 19:02   #248

i didn't particularly notice any heating issues in about 15 odd minutes of spirited riding. But it may have been that i rode it on an overcast morning and reasonably empty inner circle roads which allowed for lots of cool air for the radiator to play around with.
Or maybe my thighs have already been fried by the 15 month love affair that i've had with the 200 Duke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
What little bit information I got was that the test ride bikes have/had Thermostat issues .They are in the process of fine tuning it .

@kushagra bhat ,did you notice excessive heat from the radiator ?
Old 12th July 2013, 09:02   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesh.b View Post
Have paid the full amount.
Waiting for a confirmed delivery date from the Dealer. The waiting is rather infuriating.
I believe this is because Bajaj have not planned too high a capacity for this bike, hence the initial "wait".
What do you guys think will the D390 per month figures will be like in terms of Sales??
What tentative dates did they give you?
Old 12th July 2013, 09:41   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocamp View Post
What tentative dates did they give you?
I have been told that Delivery in the next 10 days in case i want to take the display bike that the Dealer will get over this weekend after 5 days of display.
Contemplating whether its a good idea or should i wait another 10 (10 + 10) for a new unit.

But the patience is killing me had booked the bike in end-April with 40k on the table.

Will call up the guy today and update.
Old 12th July 2013, 10:18   #251
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I have been told that Delivery in the next 10 days in case i want to take the display bike that the Dealer will get over this weekend after 5 days of display.
Contemplating whether its a good idea or should i wait another 10 (10 + 10) for a new unit.

But the patience is killing me had booked the bike in end-April with 40k on the table.

40k? Is'nt the booking amount 30k, i paid 30k for mine.
Old 12th July 2013, 12:24   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

In 5 days don't know who all will fiddle and ruin it,maybe the showroom guys themselves will take it for a spin and rip it every now and then before it is kept for display.Its equivalent to buying a used piece.Its better to wait for a new one.My 10 cents.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 12th July 2013 at 12:26.
Old 12th July 2013, 14:56   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
As mentioned by me earlier, its there in all 390s. Its a design element and not a one-off. There is no other way that bend pipe would fit between the frame and the engine.
You know Doc, I hope Bajaj realizes the great job you're doing for the Duke here. Your very detailed matter-of-fact reviews and not over-the-top appreciation for the 200 and 390 is the only reason I'm still seriously considering what is IMHO one of the most garish looking bikes around (too much orange! ) Thanks for the effort.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 16:40   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
In 5 days don't know who all will fiddle and ruin it,maybe the showroom guys themselves will take it for a spin and rip it every now and then before it is kept for display.Its equivalent to buying a used piece.Its better to wait for a new one.My 10 cents.
Hmmm... Point Valid. yes i guess 10 more days wont hurt but and i would at least have the piece of mind of not getting the older / used unit.

I don't think they ride the Display bikes as they would have a Demo for running in the first lot. Opinion ?
Old 12th July 2013, 16:58   #255
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
Hmmm... Point Valid. yes i guess 10 more days wont hurt but and i would at least have the piece of mind of not getting the older / used unit.

I don't think they ride the Display bikes as they would have a Demo for running in the first lot. Opinion ?
Display bikes are generally not given for test rides but yes - the owner/employee could easily have taken a spin in it. Rest assured they will wring the throttle like anything. Also, the display bike could be fired up by prospective customers for wringing the throttle and what not. Stay away!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks