Team-BHP - The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/138082-ktm-duke-390-ownership-experience-thread-112.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 3326425)
Metzeler price for a set is 18K for India as per the guys at the service center.

Ouch!

Doc, we were expecting it to be 24K. Is this not better?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer (Post 3328125)
Doc, we were expecting it to be 24K. Is this not better?

Actually most of us were expecting it for 15K or thereabouts.

24K is the dollar price conversion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 3328157)

Actually most of us were expecting it for 15K or thereabouts.

24K is the dollar price conversion.

Actually during the DIY session in Bangalore, we were told that rear would be 8.x and front would be 7.x. So it would add up to 16.

Another quick update after removing the windshield for few days and an observation on rev limiter.

The windshield is a must in city riding. The amount of air it deflects to the face and helmet is a boon and we are going to need this as we move towards summer. At Least here in chennai the need for that much air is critical considering the current summer season is pleasant and the mid and peak summer is only going to get worse.(My theory is , chennai has summer, mid summer and peak summer seasons only).

The biggest difference i felt was the volume of air now not hitting the face. The difference is big. The windscreen is ugly but absolutely functional in city at least for deflecting wind.

I have the same feeling i had when i installed the windshield. That the bike is nimble(r). I guess the bike is and was always nimble.

Yesterday experienced the rev limiter(not the soft one) jumping into action. I was trying to rev good before shifting and did not realise how much i was revving. At 3rd there was sudden stuttering of engine and i thought something was kaput to realise i was at 106 and an upshift was basically needed and the engine had peaked its RPM only to be limited by the limiter.

It was a completely unexpected or unplanned ride that made me push the bike and it was in a safe zone where the road is yet to be opened for public.

Still trying to get a good short throttle. This bike needs a short throttle.

Last but not the least, the suspension. If you are as heavy as me around 85 try setting up the suspension to 2 or 3 and city roads even the bad ones float without any issue under you. The bike is far more comfortable at those settings.

Lower weights means set it up at 1 for city roads. Even those small speed brakers are hardly an issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VW2010 (Post 3328351)

Still trying to get a good short throttle. This bike needs a short throttle.

Last but not the least, the suspension. If you are as heavy as me around 85 try setting up the suspension to 2 or 3 and city roads even the bad ones float without any issue under you. The bike is far more comfortable at those settings.

Lower weights means set it up at 1 for city roads. Even those small speed brakers are hardly an issue.

The D390 has been setup with the long throttle action so that newbies dont crash the bike. Check out this jugaad for a quick action throttle. Already did this mod and it is well worth it. The bike redlines with a flick of the wrist. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op12aSATVck

Thanks MH666,
I have already asked Dhaval to make one for me. Just waiting to get it. I got one but lost it somewhere in the house. Its such a small mod that i clearly have no clue where i kept it. :(

Already got the 220NS grip and all i had to do was pop this piece in. Either my dog chewed it out or i plainy lost it. Damn.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VW2010 (Post 3328351)
Another quick update after removing the windshield for few days and an observation on rev limiter.

The windshield is a must in city riding. The amount of air it deflects to the face and helmet is a boon and we are going to need this as we move towards summer.

VW I believe you have the Fazer windshield. How have you fitted it?. With Cable ties stays or only 4 bolts or with with metal stays? Do post a pic of your bike with WS if you did again refit your F WS. Are you happy with it or intend to buy the MRA WS?

Quote:

I trawled through the first 25 pages of your "Baby Duke" thread and could not find it. Could you please be a little more precise?please:

I am very keen on getting this done...
Yesterday, i tried fiddling with the brake pedal setup, and came out with positive results. Try this.

* Visually inspect the brake pedal assembly to make sure you remember how everything is put together, specially the spring at the back. ( no rocket science, simple enough for a DIY).
* open the brake pedal lever by using a suitable allen key.
* pull out the brake lever by removing the spring from backside.
* the brake lever comes out having a LINK, a LOCK-NUT and a THREADED PIN attached to it on the rear side.
* loosen the locknut, the thread-in the pin as much as possible. ( idea is to reduce the overall length of the link and pin.
* tighten the locknut, and put the brake pedal assembly back in its place.
* make sure to use the washer in correct orientation, else the pedal will not have free movement.
* attach the spring at the back side, as it was initially.
* readjust the brake pedal stopper by losening the lock nut, adjusting and tightening the lock nut.

and you would have achieved the maximum possible lowest position for the brake pedal.

For any further lowering of the pedal, the PIN length and the LINK length will have to be reduced on a lathe, or grinder.

i am happy with the result and its also reduced vibes at the brake pedal in my case. hope it helps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nasirkaka (Post 3328410)
Yesterday, i tried fiddling with the brake pedal setup, and came out with positive results. Try this.

* Visually inspect the brake pedal assembly to make sure you remember how everything is put together, specially the spring at the back. ( no rocket science, simple enough for a .

What I do is to take photos before every stage. No need to remember!

Thanks Nasirkaka. Will try out today

I installed the IXIL hyperlow full system exhaust on the Duke390 a couple of weeks ago and thought of sharing this video of the sound that my brother took.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPqc...ature=youtu.be

It is real loud without the DB killers - trust me, my Ninja runs a M4 exhaust without DB killers too and you can't hear the M4 with the IXIL on full revv.
But with the DB killers, it is not too loud at all and can be safely used in the city. And since this is a twin pipe, you can put the DB killers on one pipe and leave the other open to get a sound level that is still too loud for city but nice for the highway. Especially to get truck/car traffic ahead to notice a small 2 wheeler and give way.

I have noticed gains all through the rev range, especially between 4-6k RPM and the revvs itself are achieved slightly more quickly. The top end seems slightly improved too with the speedo showing 178kmph on a closed road. Will have more feedback on drive-ability, which I haven't frankly tested so far, after some more kilometers of running.

Quote:

Originally Posted by niranjanrvce (Post 3328896)
I installed the IXIL hyperlow full system exhaust on the Duke390 a couple of weeks ago and thought of sharing this video of the sound that my brother took.

Sounds great Niranjan. How much does the entire system cost? Anything else needed (ECU, air filter)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 3329054)
Sounds great Niranjan. How much does the entire system cost? Anything else needed (ECU, air filter)?

Doc, It seems to be plug and play. remove the standard DB Killers ( baffles that come on the stock IXIL) for increased sound (may not be street legal) and power. I think a K&N free flow air filter compliments the exhaust nicely. Remapping ECU? I doubt.

Good to see various accessories on 390. By the time one is through, 690 comes along and the cycle starts again :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashkamath (Post 3329073)
Doc, It seems to be plug and play. remove the standard DB Killers ( baffles that come on the stock IXIL) for increased sound (may not be street legal) and power. I think a K&N free flow air filter compliments the exhaust nicely. Remapping ECU? I doubt.

Good to see various accessories on 390. By the time one is through, 690 comes along and the cycle starts again :D

I'm actually thinking of fitting it to my 200 and trying to catch up to the 390s. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 3329054)

Doc, it cost about 24K but I believe the one for Duke 200 is lesser at 19K.
You don't need anything with the baffles on. But if you take them off, a replacement filter is recommended to maintain the AFR. I believe modern ECUs already compensate for fueling a bit but still the risk of running lean exists. So I intend to replace the air filter and get a RD box/remap once it is available. The remap should help tune out the power gains far better.

Of course, all that is just an excuse to squeeze out more power :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 3329075)
I'm actually thinking of fitting it to my 200 and trying to catch up to the 390s. :D

How about an engine swap instead? :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by niranjanrvce (Post 3329078)
Doc, it cost about 24K but I believe the one for Duke 200 is lesser at 19K.

How about an engine swap instead? :)

Thanks buddy. Was only kidding. I know very well close and personal what both bikes can do. No silencer is going to bridge the gap. Now waiting patiently for the 690.