Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2013, 13:32   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Sounds like you are lugging your engine to be honest. I am a little surprised as to why someone who use to ride a Pulsar and an RX135 and who has now bought a Duke, would want to so drastically neuter the bike?

Golden rule of sprocketing - go down or up one tooth at a time. The 200 is a small motor. With very limited torque. Its not going to pull anything and everything you throw at it.

It will run, but it will not run like a Duke should.
I am sure that I am not lugging my engine. I already have a fun bike - My Pulsar. The RX was just a bike which I never liked. My reason for another bike was for practical daily use. So this mod has helped it become that. I will also be going for off roading in this, an added bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Nice ride. Looks way sweeter in white than in orange. Slightly off topic, but why is your check engine light on in all your pics?
The check engine light is on as the ignition is turned on but the engine isn't. Its the same for our cars, isn't it?

Also. After changing to the 39T sprocket I have now refilled my tank. It gave me a milage of 41 kmpl. This was with me almost everyday riding sanely. Now I will ride the way I usually do - not caring about milage.

My KTM Duke 200 - Ownership Review-20130611_143252x.jpg

Last edited by abhayshanu : 13th June 2013 at 13:55.
Old 13th June 2013, 16:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: My KTM Duke 200 - Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
I will also be going for off roading in this, an added bonus.
For offroading, the practice is to put a larger rear sprocket, not a smaller one.

Anyways, its all good as long as you are happy with your mod.
Old 14th June 2013, 02:00   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
For offroading, the practice is to put a larger rear sprocket, not a smaller one.

Anyways, its all good as long as you are happy with your mod.
Yes I know, I never said that I will be using this sprocket. Will switch back to stock. I was also trying to check if the Impulse Front wheel and a Bullet/Karizma/RTR wheels fit. I am looking for 21" front and 19"/18" for rear. If they can, then that's great, else will get tyres for 17" ones. Found 100/100/R17 for front and 5.10(130/90)/R17. Yes I know these are really big side walled tyres but I got no option. Will try to find tyres in Bombay, if not then will order these.
If anyone else has any info on Off-Road tyres for bikes, specifically mud terrain tyres.
Old 21st July 2013, 01:35   #19
BHPian

Quote:

The check engine light is on as the ignition is turned on but the engine isn't. Its the same for our cars, isn't it?

Attachment 1096160
Abhay, are you sure about the engine check light? In most cars, the engine check light along with the SVS light comes on, stays on for a second and then turns off and stays off before starting the engine. If the engine check light won't go off or go off only after starting the engine, then there is something to worry. Just check your Duke's manual to rule out any possibilities.

Ride Safe
Old 21st July 2013, 11:02   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678 View Post
Abhay, are you sure about the engine check light? In most cars, the engine check light along with the SVS light comes on, stays on for a second and then turns off and stays off before starting the engine. If the engine check light won't go off or go off only after starting the engine, then there is something to worry. Just check your Duke's manual to rule out any possibilities.

Ride Safe
I have checked it on other dukes, all have it the same way. I guess the engine check light is used as a ignition on light by KTM, unlike cars which have a separate light for that.

On another note, I have installed HIDs yesterday and today will be a good wash + other minor cosmetic mods. Will update the thread today with pics.
Old 21st July 2013, 15:39   #21
BHPian

Quote:
I have checked it on other dukes, all have it the same way. I guess the engine check light is used as a ignition on light by KTM, unlike cars which have a separate light for that.

On another note, I have installed HIDs yesterday and today will be a good wash + other minor cosmetic mods. Will update the thread today with pics.

Yes, you must be right. KTM is a different league. Waiting for the post shower pics of the monster
Old 22nd July 2013, 22:11   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678 View Post
Yes, you must be right. KTM is a different league. Waiting for the post shower pics of the monster
I have done nothing on Sunday, spent it very lazily. My mech called me and I kept on taloing him
I will get all the stuff done tomorrow. Will be leaving some stickering to the day after, but my rear should be looking much cleaner by this time tomorrow.
Old 22nd August 2013, 23:28   #23
BHPian

My Sunday finally came .

The bike is on stock sprocket again. Wasn't doing any highway rides so reverted back to stock. Fun again.
Have cut the rear mud guard and removed the front number plate holder. Rim tapes are yet to be installed and new mirrors too (broke the LHS one). Here are a few pics till then.

My KTM Duke 200 - Ownership Review-dsc_0218xu.jpg

My KTM Duke 200 - Ownership Review-dsc_0219xu.jpg

My KTM Duke 200 - Ownership Review-dsc_0220xu.jpg

My KTM Duke 200 - Ownership Review-dsc_0222xu.jpg
Old 15th September 2013, 03:31   #24
BHPian

Just a teaser of my Test 1 Exhaust

Old 18th September 2013, 02:04   #25
BHPian

Here is another teaser of the same Test 1 exhaust. I am now running a remapped ECU too. Performance gains are really substantial. Will see if I can extract more power from the FFE.

Old 22nd September 2013, 18:07   #26
BHPian

Updates on the bike.
It is now running a remap and a Testing Phase Exhaust. Performance gains are very evident. Here is a pic of one of my best tests.
My KTM Duke 200 - Ownership Review-screenshot_20130922151258.jpg

I had a problem with my fuel pump and got it replaced under warranty. I had a minor problem with the speedo and I got that too replaced under warranty. So at 12000 kms I got a new speedo which is now showing 0 kms. I DO NOT LIKE!!!

I will post a much detailed review soon of my FFE + Remap experience.
Old 13th March 2014, 23:15   #27
BHPian

KTM Duke for Costs?50km commute? Maintenance Costs!

EDIT: Was using mobile browser, accidentally made typo in title. Mods, please change it to "KTM Duke 200 for 50km commute?" from "Duke for costs? (...)". Thanks and apologies.

Hello everyone, I'm posting this on a friend's behalf. Here's what he exactly wants:

"Hi Guys, i am thinking of buying KTM Duke 200, but am a little skeptical on a few points, and would like your advice on this :

Primary usage - Office commute (50-55km round trip) and weekend fun.

1) How is the ride comfort considering i have to travel 50 km daily ?
2) Maintenance cost/cost of spare parts ?
3) Can it run on normal Petrol, without any harsh long term consequences ?
4) Is the city mileage really around 35-40kmpl, as many users have been reporting all across review over the internet ?
5) How is the resale value of KTM if i plan on selling the bike later on ?

Thanks"

Last edited by N.A.GTC : 13th March 2014 at 23:18.
N.A.GTC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 23:24   #28
BHPian

Re: KTM Duke for Costs?50km commute? Maintenance Costs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.A.GTC View Post
Hello everyone, I'm posting this on a friend's behalf. Here's what he exactly wants:

"Hi Guys, i am thinking of buying KTM Duke 200, but am a little skeptical on a few points, and would like your advice on this :

Primary usage - Office commute (50-55km round trip) and weekend fun.

1) How is the ride comfort considering i have to travel 50 km daily ?
2) Maintenance cost/cost of spare parts ?
3) Can it run on normal Petrol, without any harsh long term consequences ?
4) Is the city mileage really around 35-40kmpl, as many users have been reporting all across review over the internet ?
5) How is the resale value of KTM if i plan on selling the bike later on ?

Thanks"
Here are my experiences with the bike with similar requirements:

1. i travel 50 KMs daily as a commute and i would not swap the Duke for anything else as it matches my riding style. If your friend is a sedate person who wants his butt to feel like its on a cushion during the commute, its the wrong bike. The seat is harsh and needs getting used to. But once done, I've ridden 900 KMS in a day without much trouble.

2. Maintenance is not exactly cheap. Each service (every 5000 kms) costs atleast 2000 Rs. if using synthetic oil. Parts in terms of breakage/replacement are not expensive when considering the regular wear and tear. If anything large takes a hit, the forks for example, will burn a hole in the pocket.

3. It will run fine on any petrol. I've filled petrol from places where there was no pump and i had to buy out of a barrel and it worked just fine. But it wont exactly survive too long with this treatment.

4. Running at speeds between 50-80 KMPH, i get a mileage of 30 at most. When i'm out for rides with speeds averaging 100 KMPH, 25 KMPL is the best you can expect.

5. Resale is not exactly great either because the 390 is available for a little more money. So if anyone is buying a used 200, they wont exactly pay anything close to the showroom price even considering depreciation.

Hope this helps.
lucifer919 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 13:48   #29
BHPian

Re: KTM Duke for Costs?50km commute? Maintenance Costs!

Thanks. That was indeed very helpful, and it seems that my friend is more inclined towards Bajaj Pulsar after reading your reply.

Once again, thanks for sharing your views. Will post if there are any more queries/updates.
Old 12th February 2015, 22:03   #30
BHPian

I came across this thread while looking for a KTM Duke 200 ownership review. Great pictures and nice review. I am also planning to get the same white and black colour combination. I have a query though. The white alloys looked really nice. Have you got them painted or are from the factory? When I enquired about it(white alloys) in the dealership, the response I got was all their alloys are black.

Last edited by GTO : 16th March 2015 at 17:08. Reason: Typo - Please proofread your posts before submission. Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks