Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2013, 22:59   #31
BHPian

Re: Bike options for Service Personnel

Unicorn is a super smooth bike, it can cruise at >100kmph without any drama, the braking is really good, the front discs do the job pretty well, if you want to make the brakes even better, change the front tyres to Michelin Pilot Sporty. Unicorn does not require much of service and is a no nonsense bike.
Almost all Indian bikes come with 35/35 watt, which is inadequate for highway, do change them to 55 watts with relay.
Regarding white HID's, they are useless in rain, you can neither spot a puddle of water nor slush.

PS: I've written about Unicorn and not Unicorn Dazzler.
Old 23rd July 2013, 16:06   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
I need to buy a few bikes for our service guys.
The travel routes are all trucking routes around Mumbai, like JNPT Road, Bhiwandi area, NH4, NH8, NH3 etc. They often have to travel 75-100 KM and sometimes at night. Cannot completely rule out rainy season travel also.
What did you finally select? Please update us! How about a "Fleet Ownership Thread"?
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2013, 09:50   #33
BHPian

I have postponed the purchase till the rain subsides a little, maybe in mid august.
Right now, it feels to be a bit risky to handover new bikes to the boys.

My final shortlist is still the Honda Shine, Bajaj Discovery and Unicorn (if I can manage the dough).
sen2009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2013, 21:39   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have postponed the purchase till the rain subsides a little, maybe in mid august.
Right now, it feels to be a bit risky to handover new bikes to the boys.

My final shortlist is still the Honda Shine, Bajaj Discovery and Unicorn (if I can manage the dough).
Sir,

Mid august is here - what's the plan?
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 15:36   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Sir,

Mid august is here - what's the plan?

Starting the final scout from mid august. Holding on for the rain to subside a bit more. In fact from the beginning of this week, it was looking like the heaviest spell is over. But now looking at Cochin, I think I will wait a little longer and get the bikes on road beginning of September.

Probably a bit too much paranoia. But better to be safe than sorry - especially about the safety of young people with less biking experience.

PS - I asked the boys to TD the options suggested in this thread and give me their feedback. Now they have dropped my cell number at every new and used bike dealership in Thane.
sen2009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 11:43   #36
BHPian

Bumping up an old thread here.

Due to the awesomely slowed down market, my purchase plan got postponed.
However, things have gotten better now and I am back in the market.

I have narrowed down between Bajaj Discover 125M (59K - 65Kmpl) and Honda CB Shine (66K - 55-60 Kmpl).
The discover is cheaper and gives better mileage. I think I can also install a HID easily as it has DC setup.
Someone tells me that if the tyres are upgraded with better rubber (Michelline, Duro or VeeRubber), then the grip would increase substantially.

Please help me choose...
Old 4th September 2014, 14:15   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have narrowed down between Bajaj Discover 125M (59K - 65Kmpl) and Honda CB Shine (66K - 55-60 Kmpl).
The discover is cheaper and gives better mileage. I think I can also install a HID easily as it has DC setup.
Someone tells me that if the tyres are upgraded with better rubber (Michelline, Duro or VeeRubber), then the grip would increase substantially.
Please help me choose...
Both are good in their own ways. The Discover will surely give you more mileage but will age sooner than the Honda. Also Bajaj is known to discontinue models often so the 125M might become something else with changed spare parts which will be difficult to procure after sometime. On the other hand, Shine would age well and return consistent mileage as well.
Discover would probably have better pick up than shine as Bajaj is known to make commuters with decent power compared to say Hero who make really under powered commuters.
Not sure how the service of the two brands are at your location, but your choice should mainly be on this if the running of the vehicles will be high and needs regular service.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 14:24   #38
Senior - BHPian

Even if BAL doesnt discontinue a model, it changes parts every year. Last decade it used to be a big issue for pulsars - even engine parts across the 2004 DTSiv1 (spokes), 2005DTSiv2 (white alloys), 2006 DTSiv2.1 (black alloys) and 2007 UG3 (LED tail light) pulsars were quite different, making long term ownership a real hassle.

Since your boys would be likely to not treat the bikes nicely, i would say honda. They know how to make engines better than any indian company.

The HID angle is moot though and can win over all others given the weather in mumbai and the runs involved. No idea about that.
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 15:54   #39
BHPian

Someone I was speaking to earlier mentioned that both Bajaj and Honda 125 bikes have really skinny tires and needs upgrading.

So, I went for a 2nd round check to the showrooms. Discover 150 is 65k On road - about 5K extra on top of Disc 125M. FE should not be less than 55-60 (as said by sales guys). This one has Size 100 tubeless tyres.
This bike weighs 124 Kg. The showroom guys and a few mechanics hanging around said that this has much greater stability than disc 125 (114KG - 80 size tyres) at 65-70kmph speed, especially if there is crosswind. Our guys go to outskirts of Mumbai and crosswind is indeed pretty high - especially near the port areas.

Honda Unicorn is way more expensive (77K approx). And they said that a new unicorn is expected next month.
Discover 150 has 14.5PS power. But the showroom guys say that it is a commuter bike and its pick up is rather mute.
Considering these, I am leaning towards Doscover 150.

Last edited by sen2009 : 4th September 2014 at 15:55.
Old 4th September 2014, 18:40   #40
BHPian

After all considerations, I am putting the money on the new Discover 150.

Thank you all for your comments, observations and references.
I will post the usage feedback after a few thousand kilometre.
Old 13th November 2014, 13:13   #41
BHPian

UPDATE:

The Discover 150 is running fine. It has clocked 10,000 KM so far. No issues at all.
The Average FE so far is 62 Kmpl. On road price was 63K all inclusive.
The bike has tubeless tires and disc breaks.

I have installed a GPS tracker in the Bike and have set speed limit at 65 kmph. So far, the boys have not triggered any alert. The pick up is really lame, which is a good thing.
It is quite comfortable too. I have rode pillion on it a few times for 100 km+ journeys and have not experienced any particular discomfort.

I have also announced an incentive scheme for the boys. One who can ride it for more than 25,000 KM and trigger less than 3 Overspeed alerts will get his upgrade to Pulsar 200 NS or whatever he would choose (limit ~ 1 Lac).

I see that the monitoring and incentivizing is making the guys behave nicely.

Anyone looking to buy a bike for a purpose similar to mine can surely check this one out.
sen2009 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 19:18   #42
BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE:

I have installed a GPS tracker in the Bike and have set speed limit at 65 kmph. So far, the boys have not triggered any alert.
This is something very interesting! Can you please post the pics of GPS tracker on the bike? A bit curious to see if that can be planted on my bike as well.
Old 18th November 2014, 13:18   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
This is something very interesting! Can you please post the pics of GPS tracker on the bike? A bit curious to see if that can be planted on my bike as well.
If you just want SMS alert and no tracking, its very simple. Get a 30-35$ concox device, connect it to device battery, and program it(using SMS, simple instructions), to send an SMS out when speed exceeds 65kmph.
You can also send SMS to unit where it will reply with google link which you can open on your smarphone to see where the bike is.
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 13:58   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If you just want SMS alert and no tracking, its very simple. Get a 30-35$ concox device, connect it to device battery, and program it(using SMS, simple instructions), to send an SMS out when speed exceeds 65kmph.
You can also send SMS to unit where it will reply with google link which you can open on your smarphone to see where the bike is.
Thanks for the advice tsk1979. Will check it out. BTW, I will not need any SMS to inform me that my bike exceeds 65kmph, as I never cross 50kmph.
Old 18th November 2014, 14:14   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Thanks for the advice tsk1979. Will check it out. BTW, I will not need any SMS to inform me that my bike exceeds 65kmph, as I never cross 50kmph.
Oh ok . You want it as an anti theft. Best way is to find a 12V connection at a hidden spot(eg wiring to switches etc.,) so that your anti theft device is hidden. If bike gets stolen, you can send SMS and get google maps link.

You can also wire it to be permanently on with wakup every 30s or so(you get position which is atmost 30s old). This way your battery won't drain if bike is parked for long intervals.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks