Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2013, 10:16   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
I got the update that this bike belong to a timber mill guy in Tripunithra. Shall give a shot to take a pic and some details if possible. It was so good in terms of tone and looks. Did not look after-factory fitment.
Slightly

Today I was previlaged to travel with three guys from Javeen's (RE Dealer in Kottayam) in train as they were going Kochi for some RE training and did some friendly chat about the bikes. They confirmed RE do not give much options of customization in their menu card however dealers help customers to quench their thirst with possible alternations without voiding the warranty of the bikes. So this could be an after factory fitment only. Let me see what more I can gather on it.

And you know what, RE is strictly concentrating on Customer Centricity now. Which means even better customer care going forward as they expect many and many new RE buyers including ladies.
Old 8th May 2013, 19:14   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Slightly

Today I was previlaged to travel with three guys from Javeen's (RE Dealer in Kottayam) in train as they were going Kochi for some RE training and did some friendly chat about the bikes. They confirmed RE do not give much options of customization in their menu card however dealers help customers to quench their thirst with possible alternations without voiding the warranty of the bikes. So this could be an after factory fitment only. Let me see what more I can gather on it.

And you know what, RE is strictly concentrating on Customer Centricity now. Which means even better customer care going forward as they expect many and many new RE buyers including ladies.
I agree! RE is finally making reliable motorcycles. No issues to report at all with my TB500. Just add petrol and enjoy the experience. This is what RE should have been doing all this while, well better late than never.

They have started some good practices like calling up and asking the experience or problems faced after each service, calling up in advance and informing of upcoming service, fixing service appointments etc, which is a pleasant experience.

I am completely for RE voiding warranty on customer making any changes to the bike, its required because lot of ill informed customers make needless, or dangerous changes to the machine, then claim warranty when their bike fails. This leads to the perception that RE machines are not reliable.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 20:00   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I am completely for RE voiding warranty on customer making any changes to the bike, its required because lot of ill informed customers make needless, or dangerous changes to the machine, then claim warranty when their bike fails. This leads to the perception that RE machines are not reliable.
True. Bad riding habits or improper maintenance are other reasons why riders face issues and then blame the reliability of a bike. I'm not a crusader for RE quality, but I don't appreciate the exaggerated bashing of a good motorcycle.
enfield_500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2013, 22:06   #64
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Mr Ravi - she's gorgeous! Seeing photos of that Royal Enfield showroom in Adyar was nice - I remember trundling in there on a hot Madras afternoon a few years ago when I was 16 and "test-sitting" the Bullet 350. Unfortunately I was too young to ride.

Here's wishing you many many happy journeys on your new steed!
anekho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 09:10   #65
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Congratulations Mr Ravi - she's gorgeous!
Thanks a lot for the kind wishes and words, anekho. Right now, I am away from my Blue Bird by atleast 342 km! My Blue Bird will fly to Bangalore shortly to meet her siblings, viz., my Blue Line and my son's Black Bull.
  (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 18:37   #66
J.Ravi

Cramster Turtle Magnetic Tank Bag For My Blue Bird

Today, I rode to Cramster, Cunningham Road, and bought a Turtle magnetic tank bag costing Name:  rupeesymbol.gif
Views: 12486
Size:  578 Bytes1,800 for my Blue Bird. A board announcing 'Out for lunch - call xxxxx' greeted me, when I was at Cramster's entrance at 3:15 pm today. I called the number and the store-keeper opened the door from inside immediately. Perhaps, I disturbed his afternoon siesta!
  (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 10:28   #67
BHPian

Re: Cramster Turtle Magnetic Tank Bag For My Blue Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Today, I rode to Cramster, Cunningham Road, and bought a Turtle magnetic tank bag costing Attachment 10838471,800 for my Blue Bird. A board announcing 'Out for lunch - call xxxxx' greeted me, when I was at Cramster's entrance at 3:15 pm today. I called the number and the store-keeper opened the door from inside immediately. Perhaps, I disturbed his afternoon siesta!
Aren't these tank bags an eyesore on the REs. It may be useful on long hauls like Himalayan rides, but in the city, a shoulder bag would suffice. Well then that is my opinion and congratulations to the Bull family
Regards adrian
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 10:57   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Today, I rode to Cramster, Cunningham Road, and bought a Turtle magnetic tank bag costing Attachment 10838471,800 for my Blue Bird. A board announcing 'Out for lunch - call xxxxx' greeted me, when I was at Cramster's entrance at 3:15 pm today. I called the number and the store-keeper opened the door from inside immediately. Perhaps, I disturbed his afternoon siesta!
Hello Sir,

would you be kind enough to post some pictures of the bag attached to the bike, looks very promising and considering i am almost following in your footsteps it will help me decide further since I will be regularly doing mum-pune trips.
Jimmy_u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 11:13   #69
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Aren't these tank bags an eyesore on the REs.
Yes, but then, utility overtakes beauty here. I plan to 'misuse' it as pillion seat bag on my Blue Bird! Let me experiment tomorrow. This bag can also be converted into a shoulder bag or back-bag as there are hooks and removable straps provided.
Quote:
It may be useful on long hauls like Himalayan rides
I plan to fly to the Himalayas on my Blue Bird in 2014.
Quote:
but in the city, a shoulder bag would suffice.
I find the tank bag is better than the shoulder bag especially for solo, long rides for less than 4 days. I have shoulder bag too, but my shoulders would be free of any burden, pain and discomfort during the long rides with this magnetic tank bag.
Quote:
congratulations to the Bull family
Thanks a lot, adrian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_u View Post
would you be kind enough to post some pictures of the bag attached to the bike
Right now, I am in Bangalore and my Blue Bird, in Chennai. Tomorrow, I will ride solo from Chennai to Bangalore. I will click a lot of pics during the ride with the tank bag and post them here.
Quote:
looks very promising
Yes, it is, Jimmy_u.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 16th May 2013 at 11:23.
  (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 11:34   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, but then, utility overtakes beauty here. I plan to 'misuse' it as pillion seat bag on my Blue Bird! Let me experiment tomorrow. This bag can also be converted into a shoulder bag or back-bag as there are hooks and removable straps provided.
Sir,
From my experience the tank bag serves you well especially when you are doing solo over some short distances. You can have a quick reach to majority of your stuff which can be accessed on the go without stopping (please reduce your speeds before you try reaching out)

Only downside that i see to this, the magnet tends to scratch the tank, but you can overcome that with putting a microfiber cloth to cover the tank or put a simple towel so that magnet strips are not in touch with the tank directly.

PS: Awaiting your photos of your pending trip to Chennai, Which route do you prefer? The boring Hosur-Krishnagiri-Ambur route or interesting Kolar-Malur
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 11:41   #71
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
putting a microfiber cloth to cover the tank.
Thanks a lot, ku69rd. My tank bag is atleady stuffed with microfibres and the jacket for tomorrow's ride.
Quote:
Which route do you prefer? The boring Hosur-Krishnagiri-Ambur route or interesting Kolar-Malur
Whenever I drive in my Linea in the night, I take the interesting Kolar route. But, for tomorrow's ride, I may prefer the boring Krishnagiri route just because I can take a break at Saravana Bhavan at Vellore and A2B at Chinnar. Also, I am tempted by riding through the toll plazas without paying!

Last edited by J.Ravi : 16th May 2013 at 11:46.
  (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 00:58   #72
Senior - BHPian

The biggest problem with a magnetic tank bag is the magnets attract the iron particles that is in all dirt/dust.
The particles will act as an abrasive, much like sandpaper and will rapidly start grinding away the paint on the tank.

I don't know if the thin flexible plastic wrap that is commonly used to cover food and food containers is available in India but if it is a layer of it between the paint and the tank bag will help to minimize the damage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic_wrap
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2013, 19:35   #73
J.Ravi

My Blue Bird Flies From Chennai To Bangalore

Yesterday was hectic both for me and my Blue Bird. While Shatabdi Express took me to Chennai, my Blue Bird brought me back to Bangalore Basaveswara Nagar home at 00:45 am today.

I got up at 4 am, took Shatabdi to Chennai, reached my Royapettah home by 11:45 am, called Royal Enfield Brand Store to know whether RC was received, but was told it was yet to come from RTO, collected some items, started my Blue Bird in the very first crank, left home by 12:45 am, had tankful of petrol and specified air pressure for my Blue Bird, rode to T Nagar, completed my work and started my ride to Bangalore via Vellore and Krishnagiri.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-1.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-2.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-3.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-4.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-5.jpg

The afternoon heat was at its peak from Chennai to Vellore. Because of that, I could not wear my jacket and gloves. I took 3 breaks before reaching Saravana Bhavan at Vellore, where I had evening tiffin with watermelon juice with plenty of cold water. The next stop was at Pallikonda toll plaza. After Vaniampadi, the weather turned to nice. But, tragedy struck at Krishnagiri toll plaza, where I noticed rear flat tyre. The time was 8:30 pm. The only vulcanizing guy near the toll plaza shut his shop. Then, I approached Saravanan, a truck mechanic. He took me on his bike to spot where my Blue Bird was parked, dismantled the rear wheel, he rode back to his shop with me holding the rear wheel at the pillion, he showed me the screw which screwed the tyre and tube, took it to another vulcanizing guy on his bicycle located another few hundred metres from his shop, returned after 1 hour, we again carried the repaired wheel in Saravanan's motorcycle to the spot and refitted the rear wheel in my Blue Bird. He charged Name:  rupeesymbol.gif
Views: 15221
Size:  578 Bytes 200 for his services. I lost 2 hours due to this puncture.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-6.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-7.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-8.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-9.jpg

I continued my ride to BP COCO outlet at Chinnar, where my Blue Bird had tankful petrol and the attached Adyar Ananda Bhavan, where I had plenty of water and coffee and continued my ride. Now, the weather turned to chilly. I wore my jacket and gloves, continued my journey. There was a huge traffic jam at TN-KA border starting from Ashok Leyland plant at Zuzuwadi, Hosur to Attibele toll plaza. All sorts of vehicles stood in queue for more than a km on either side of the border. My Blue Bird did some off-road by riding on the shoulder on the left side and reached the Attibele toll plaza quickly. After clicking some photographs, I continued my ride and reached my Bangalore Basaveswara Nagar home by 00:45 am today.

My Blue Bird recorded a fuel efficiency of 28.5 kmpl, calculated by tankful-to-tankful method for highway ride of mostly 80 - 90 kmph.

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-10.jpg

Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 : My Motorcycle Diaries-11.jpg

Last edited by J.Ravi : 18th May 2013 at 19:42.
  (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2013, 20:05   #74
Senior - BHPian

If you are riding Solo on a RE without much luggage,the tank bag can be strapped on to the rear seat,at least in Classic it can be,there is enough iron in a RE,to fix the magnets.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2013, 20:11   #75
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
If you are riding Solo on a RE without much luggage,the tank bag can be strapped on to the rear seat
First, I tried that only. It held tightly on the pillion seat. But, in Thunderbird, the height of the pillion seat is more plus the height of expanded tank bag. I had difficulty in swinging my leg to the other side. So, I took the safe way by placing it on the tank!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks