Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2014, 18:38   #331
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. P

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
For those concerned about the waiting period of the CGT - I had booked a yellow CGT on the 2nd of Aug at the RE showroom at Jayanagar. I was verbally given a commitment of delivery within one month though the tentative date of delivery was written as two months on my booking slip (cue air of cynicism....) I received an sms confirming my booking on the 2nd of Aug. Today I called up the contact number given on the sms and I was told that the bike is in the godown already (!!!). Now running behind them to get details of their account (for online transaction) and final amount to be paid.

God bless their new plant - I had gone earlier in the year to check their bike but the massive waiting period made me think again.
Wow! I was given a waiting period of a month for red and 3 months for yellow at the Marthalli ORR showroom and a week at the Bellary road ,Palace grounds showroom . The one week waiting I knew would be for their display bike, so I didn't bother , but I kept going back to the ORR showroom to check and had a feeling that it may be shorter since the GT hardly has a demand .
Waiting for a new thread from your end.
Old 22nd August 2014, 13:59   #332
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. P

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Wow! I was given a waiting period of a month for red and 3 months for yellow at the Marthalli ORR showroom and a week at the Bellary road ,Palace grounds showroom . The one week waiting I knew would be for their display bike, so I didn't bother , but I kept going back to the ORR showroom to check and had a feeling that it may be shorter since the GT hardly has a demand .
Waiting for a new thread from your end.
Last month the ORR showroom folks told me one month for red and two months for yellow. Thats the same as what the Jayanagar showroom guys said. So I was mentally prepared for 2 months waiting despite the verbal assurance of within one month.

You're right about low demand, the sales guy at the Jayanagar showroom said they have sold only 25 CGTs so far. Almost all in red. Im not complaining about the exclusivity
Old 24th August 2014, 09:21   #333
BHPian

Exclusivity has its own challenges from a supply point of view. The Production will never get these queued up in view of higher demand in the other models. But yes, me too, I prefer to be in the exclusivity!��
Old 25th August 2014, 12:57   #334
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
the engine mount points are the same.
That's what I noticed yesterday drooling over one CGT parked in a friend's building parking lot. The mounting points on the engine are in the same locations and the engine is mounted on the double cradle frame using suitable brackets etc. And it got me thinking whether the engine in my TBTS or any RE UCE bike be swapped with the 535 EFI of the CGT or even the 500 EFI on the TB500 for that matter. The 500 EFI is built to be a stressed member of the chassis but what about the 535 EFI?

Have they changed the materials to make it lighter, making it NOT suitable as a stressed member of the chassis in other RE UCE motorcycles?
Old 25th August 2014, 13:27   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
..And it got me thinking whether the engine in my TBTS or any RE UCE bike be swapped with the 535 EFI of the CGT or even the 500 EFI on the TB500 for that matter.
Very much swappable. But not at all worth the pain and cost involved(subjective opinion).

Quote:
The 500 EFI is built to be a stressed member of the chassis but what about the 535 EFI?

Have they changed the materials to make it lighter, making it NOT suitable as a stressed member of the chassis in other RE UCE motorcycles?
You are right, with the traditional single down-tube frames of the Royal Enfields the engine is the stressed member where as in the double cradle frame of the CGT the engine merely sits on the frame. And the only change in the 535 are a bored out cylinder, bigger pistons and some lighter reciprocating parts. All the external load carrying parts(read: Engine Casings) are the same as UCE350/500. The 535 engine can very well serve as a stressed member in the traditional Royal Enfield frame.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 25th August 2014 at 13:29.
Old 19th September 2014, 16:37   #336
BHPian

Some one is offering a 4 month old Continental, 2100 Km on the odo for Rs 1,90,000. Is it a good offer? I have been planning to upgrade from my 11 year old Thunderbird. I am planning to check it out this week end.
Old 20th September 2014, 00:07   #337
the-mechanic

Quote:
Some one is offering a 4 month old Continental, 2100 Km on the odo for Rs 1,90,000. Is it a good offer? I have been planning to upgrade from my 11 year old Thunderbird. I am planning to check it out this week end.

Might as well pay a fraction more and get a brand new one. Is the 'someone' reliable? Also ask why he's selling it... You can always be sure of flawed pieces from RE
  (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2014, 09:38   #338
BHPian

Quote:
I did check it out last week and ended up buying it. Looked for any physical damage and couldn't find any. In fact I dropped the bike when making a very slow u turn during the test drive.

The owner has added the twin seat, the rear foot pegs to go with and the handle bar end rearview mirrors. He has replaced the stock silencer with the performance oriented one from RE. In all he had spent about 13k on these. We stuck a deal on the spot for 1.75L and we rode back to my home, me in my old TB and he in the CGT. He collected the cheque and left the bike along with the original papers.

The entire decision was more on impulse than on any logical thinking. My logical mind kept telling me that I should go for the TBTS 500 that has a better posture. At 54 I am not young or getting any younger. Back muscles are becoming weaker by the day.Belly keeps growing faster every day and with every meal reducing the fitness levels even more. One part of my mind kept screaming at me, but the other part just ignored it totally.

I had a chance to ride immediately the next day a fairly short distance of 4 Km to my office. After that I was out of town the whole of last week.
I decided to join the Chennai meet yesterday and rode the bike to Mahabs with them. This has been first medium distance ride after a very many years.
I was really worried about how my back and the arms will hold up over the 90 odd KM ride. I read quite a few posts about the load on the arms and wrists and that was in the back of mind all the time. Actually it was no where as bad as I expected and I need not have worried. My back, and neck were little tired but not what i expected. And I had no issues with the arms or the wrists.

I will start a ownership thread soon.
arulpeem is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 11:36   #339
Senior - BHPian

Saw this GT in USA in Instragram. Wonder if it's a new color or repainted. Looks like the same color as the Classic 500 that is exported.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10-1421388354626.jpg  

Old 16th January 2015, 12:21   #340
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10

I doubt Royal Enfield is offering this colour.Doesn't suit the character of the continental gt really.I mean they market the matte green c5 as bullet c5 Military.What will they call this,Continental GT Military?

Although the forest green from the Bullet 500 would look classy on both this and the c5.

Anyone seen the Levis advertisement?There's a gt on there that looks like its in that denim shade.

Regards

BOV
Old 16th January 2015, 13:10   #341
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
I doubt Royal Enfield is offering this colour.Doesn't suit the character of the continental gt really.I mean they market the matte green c5 as bullet c5 Military.What will they call this,Continental GT Military?

Although the forest green from the Bullet 500 would look classy on both this and the c5.

Anyone seen the Levis advertisement?There's a gt on there that looks like its in that denim shade.

Regards

BOV
It is not original. I just noticed the knee pads from the Classic and the big font Royal Enfield sticker. Yellow and red are actually the perfect colors for this bike.
Old 16th January 2015, 13:20   #342
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Saw this GT in USA in Instragram. Wonder if it's a new color or repainted. Looks like the same color as the Classic 500 that is exported.
Hubba hubba! Thanks for sharing. I was just about to post saying that the dark green from the Bullet 500 wouldve been a better choice but B O V beat me to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post

Regards

BOV
Completely agree on the forest green. In fact I would love for the Continental GT to be available in the Thunderbird colours, especially the matte black. How does one get Royal Enfield to do a limited run - #RECGTinmorecolours (OK, dont laugh, so what if I still dont know how twitter works)?

Here's a picture of the Continental GT in the Levi's denim shade that I had shared on my ownership thread.

Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10-bike-medium.jpg
Old 29th January 2015, 08:56   #343
Distinguished - BHPian

Modified Continental GTs from around the world

Here is a picture of a grey tanked Continental GT that I found on a youtube video.

Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10-maxresdefault.jpg
Interesting

Here is a Continental GT modified by French importer Tendance Roadster with a nice looking brown seat, custom exhaust, new brake light with indicators, brown grips and a neat rear view mirror.

Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10-10549620_10153035369044176_3456998102405741933_o.jpg

Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10-brown-seat.jpg

Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10-top-view.jpg

Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10-10424228_10153035369139176_4118595989438070102_n.jpg

They also have a beautiful Royal Enfield Continental GT Vitesse kit, the details of which you can find here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3629518
Old 27th February 2015, 21:27   #344
BHPian

Royal Enfield Continental GT, now available in black!

shifting-gears.com reports that Continental GT will be available in black starting March.

Full report here.

Anybody else heard this news?
Old 4th March 2015, 09:57   #345
Senior - BHPian

Royal Enfield has officially confirmed the launch of the Continental GT in the "GT Black" colour. The café racer was only available in red and yellow until now. The introduction of the black colour could improve the otherwise weak selling model's appeal as it is a more popular colour choice.

Link to Team-BHP news article

Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10-11041228_892428650799884_482082831194862420_n.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks