Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2013, 15:14   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. P

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The Tbird 500 seems to attract a lot of bad feedback on their rear brakes. But on a simple comparison the GT brakes will give you new confidence on your bull. Remember those days when you hit the brakes and a little help from foot to stop our bull in emergency. Those days could be history if this brembo performs like it did in the test bike.

With so much weight and balanced seating position the front brakes in RE standards are just exceedingly ahead of their R&D

The rear brakes of the Tbird seems to be very notorious for failure or problem for some reason.
I'm interested in only the front disc brake kit (if at all - am very happy with my superbly set up 7" TLS front drum brakes). The rear involves too many changes, so not really worth it. Have a brand new peti packked Pricol kit with me, so might sell that off and buy the Brembos if they can fit on my current set up, and do not cost the earth. The latter I am not even remotely confident about.
Old 30th December 2013, 17:38   #257
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. P

Quote:
Have a brand new peti packked Pricol kit with me, so might sell that off and buy the Brembos if they can fit on my current set up, and do not cost the earth. The latter I am not even remotely confident about.
I want the front brakes as well. I am not going to change the rears anyday. Even in GT i didnt feel the need for the rear and the rear pegs were kind of wrongly placed and positioned.

The other gorgeous thing of this GT is the rear view mirrors. So small yet 200% better functional than the worst rear view mirrors ever(i mean the KTM ).

I still have the age old shocks and i do not see a reason why i need an upgrage to shocks. Pretty happy with the stocks.
Old 3rd January 2014, 12:11   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, do you think it will be possible to change the handle bar to the conventional bullet one for long distance touring. I am guessing the handle bar won't be very comfortable for long distance rides.
Old 3rd January 2014, 12:22   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Guys, do you think it will be possible to change the handle bar to the conventional bullet one for long distance touring. I am guessing the handle bar won't be very comfortable for long distance rides.
For sure the handlebar will not be comfortable like the conventional bullets, but the clip-on will be comfortable once you get used to it. Just a hunch: if you are particular in changing the clip-on, I guess you can change the upper triple clamp to the one in the TB350/500 and then use any conventional bar type handlebar. I guess the fork width looks the same for both CGT and TB.

But personal opinion, taking the weight off the front wheel by using a higher handlebar defeats one of the important thing a cafe' racer stands for. Handling!
man_of_steel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 12:28   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
For sure the handlebar will not be comfortable like the conventional bullets, but the clip-on will be comfortable once you get used to it. Just a hunch: if you are particular in changing the clip-on, I guess you can change the upper triple clamp to the one in the TB350/500 and then use any conventional bar type handlebar. I guess the fork width looks the same for both CGT and TB.

But personal opinion, taking the weight off the front wheel by using a higher handlebar defeats one of the important thing a cafe' racer stands for. Handling!
Its not as simple as that. You cannot comfortably ride with a normal handlebar, with your feet perched backwards on rear sets. All three points of the butt-handle-foot pegs triangle are designed as a whole.
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 12:49   #261
Senior - BHPian

Its going to tough to get used to if your going to be riding in straight roads with very little excitement.

if you live along the western ghats and ride more often there, i can confidently tell you this position and this bike will out run any RE's. The bike is meant to be thrashed in the twisties and i am personally confident and over confident that the cafe racer will hold its own self and make you happy.
Old 4th January 2014, 20:27   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Its not as simple as that. You cannot comfortably ride with a normal handlebar, with your feet perched backwards on rear sets. All three points of the butt-handle-foot pegs triangle are designed as a whole.
You are absolutely correct. The handle bar is positioned for the way you lean from the seat. I did another test drive today and felt the same. What I would like to do however is to make it straight instead of the inverted V shape as my wrist started to hurt after some extended riding. Your hand is twisted and you are putting your weight on the hand.

Other than this, I think it is the best handling enfield that I have ridden.
Old 4th January 2014, 21:01   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
You are absolutely correct. The handle bar is positioned for the way you lean from the seat. I did another test drive today and felt the same. What I would like to do however is to make it straight instead of the inverted V shape as my wrist started to hurt after some extended riding. Your hand is twisted and you are putting your weight on the hand.

Other than this, I think it is the best handling enfield that I have ridden.
Straight is actually way more unanatomical than the inverted V. Crouch forward, tuck your bent elbows in, and see what is the most natural position of both your clenched hands ......
Old 5th January 2014, 00:53   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Straight is actually way more unanatomical than the inverted V. Crouch forward, tuck your bent elbows in, and see what is the most natural position of both your clenched hands ......
Totally agree to that. Because of bent elbows you end up hugging the tank with your thighs (like riding a horse). And that my friend is the correct way to ride any bike :-)
Old 6th January 2014, 19:43   #265
BHPian

My friend took delivery of the Cafe Racer in the first week of January.
Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10-image3864763847.jpg
Loving every moment of it !

Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10-image1159524720.jpg

Picture taken on a ride to NH-8.

Last edited by dean5545 : 6th January 2014 at 19:56.
dean5545 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 22:49   #266
Senior - BHPian

If this would have been your purchase then I think you would have been the first on this forum with the new GT. Still as you have ridden this motorcycle, please help us with your observations and findings. Also some close up snaps

The TR motorcycle that I had seen over here at the RE dealership, had plastic mudguard on the front wheel. In reality, is that the same or it is all metal?

Regards,
Old 7th January 2014, 09:13   #267
BHPian

Just wondering if here are any recommended crash guards for continental GT? The regular butterfly ones don't seem to blend well this Bike.
Old 14th January 2014, 08:51   #268
Senior - BHPian

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

Royal Enfield Continental GT Vs Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 Drag, first time in Kerala. GT got the lead after third gear and touched 130 in the quarter mile drag..
jkdas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 10:06   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

I see the Royal Enfield Continental GT has won the 2014 IMOTY (Indian Motorcycle Of The Year) award.

Congratulations to Royal Enfield. Well done.

Here is a link to the article.

http://royalenfield.com/image/news/B...-2014-Pg28.jpg
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 14:18   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Btw, my std 500 is still running on drum brakes.

If the rear shockers cost 17K a pair, I shudder to even ask the price of the front disc kit.

What about the Bybre ones on the Tbird 500? How good are they?
I somehow feel that those Paiolis are built at Pirangut. If my hunch proves right, they should be much cheaper than 17K.

Cheers,

Jay

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks