Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2013, 17:50   #241
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. P

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Believe me, this is something you will get used to within a couple of weeks. I remember the first time I rode an R15 after owning my TBTS for a couple of weeks. I absolutely hated it! But its was just a matter of getting used to it. People who get used to R15 will not even think twice on doing even extensive touring on it!

In the case of CGT, I found it only as aggressive as the CBR's seating geometry, which is very much comfortable if you ask a CBR owner who has spent some time on it for a month or more.
Thanks a lot man_of_steel, yeah i totally agree with you that the R15 has a more pronounced lean than the CGT-one of the reason why i never ever considered it for purchase!

I have never tried the CBR yet!
Old 20th December 2013, 20:35   #242
Team-BHP Support

Re: Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. P

After dropping the defective drive at WD's service center, we had been to RE's showroom nearby to catch a glimpse of the bike. Since I am not into bikes and do not have a 2-wheeler license (that's a long story!), I couldn't do a test ride but the bike looks pretty classy and retro. Plenty of imported parts and typical RE build quality from whatever little I could gather. The only downside is the waiting period - a staggering 8 months! OTR - 2.1L ex-Surat.

Some snaps:

Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10-wp_20131220_16_55_46_pro.jpg

Pirelli Sport Demons shod on the rims:
Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10-wp_20131220_16_55_57_pro.jpg

Made in Brazil
Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10-wp_20131220_16_58_39_pro.jpg

Paioli suspension system from Italy:
Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10-wp_20131220_16_56_06_pro.jpg

Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10-wp_20131220_16_56_22_pro.jpg

The mark of the cafe racer:
Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10-wp_20131220_16_56_40_pro.jpg

The instrument cluster with the digital trip meter:
Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10-wp_20131220_16_56_48_pro.jpg

Honestly, the indicators felt like cheap plastic! Not referring to the design but the build quality. The ones on the Electra and Classic in comparison, were much better than these:
Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10-wp_20131220_16_57_00_pro.jpg

Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10-wp_20131220_16_57_07_pro.jpg

Brembo front disc and calipers:
Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10-wp_20131220_16_57_22_pro.jpg

The fuel injected 535cc single-cylinder UCE block:
Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10-wp_20131220_16_57_58_pro.jpg

Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10-wp_20131220_16_58_03_pro.jpg

Rear disc and caliper:
Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10-wp_20131220_16_58_21_pro.jpg

All the snaps were clicked with the Lumia 920.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th December 2013 at 20:37.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2013, 21:16   #243
BHPian

Pleasantly surprised on the reduced delivery times of continental GT. Today, went for a casual afternoon stroll to the showroom, took another test ride and felt more comfortable this time with the seating position. SA said maximum 2 months, so couldn't resist myself and booked one. Infact he said for Classic and TB models, maximum 1 month. Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping he is right.
Old 25th December 2013, 18:45   #244
Senior - BHPian

This evening I had gone to the dealer to get one Clutch cable and accelerator cable (Acc cable not available at the moment as per the product catalog specification) . While returning, I saw that the delivery truck had come and they had some GTs in the bottom row. But obvious it is destined for the Pune Market, though not sure which dealership.

So guys, pretty soon we will see some GTs doing the rounds on the Pune streets.
Old 26th December 2013, 05:52   #245
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
All the snaps were clicked with the Lumia 920.
Those are some amazing clicks you managed with a mobile camera, Nokia certainly has delivered a stellar one with its Lumia range.
abhjain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 15:09   #246
Senior - BHPian

Noticing a few changes already from the launch images and Gannu's photos. The mirrors look more standard compared to what was on the display at Teknik Motors (the ones sticking out from the side of the handlebar). The flat rider and pillion seat. I would most certainly have these two changed to what was shown in the launch images. That double seat looks like something stolen from a RX-100 yamaha.
Old 27th December 2013, 19:25   #247

I hope they have a cowl as an aftermarket fitment even for the double seat arrangement.
Old 27th December 2013, 22:45   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
Noticing a few changes already from the launch images and Gannu's photos. The mirrors look more standard compared to what was on the display at Teknik Motors (the ones sticking out from the side of the handlebar). The flat rider and pillion seat. I would most certainly have these two changed to what was shown in the launch images. That double seat looks like something stolen from a RX-100 yamaha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdsouza72 View Post
I hope they have a cowl as an aftermarket fitment even for the double seat arrangement.
The bar-end mirrors,dual seat with cowl and the exhaust in the pictures are optional parts.
The bike comes with single seat and normal stalk mirrors as standard fitments.
Old 28th December 2013, 14:25   #249
Senior - BHPian

Rode a good distance on the GT today.
First thing that hits you is how small and sportish the bike is. But that's till you thumb the starter. The vibes are quite a bit right from low revs and gets more as the revs climb. The test bike had run more than 1k kms.
Well,unlike other Enfields,this one moves . But the difference from the efi500 and the 535 is not much . The GT feels more nimble and agile and you can cut through traffic with ease. The torque helps here.
There is a very slight hesitation when you whack open the throttle.but it picks up very fast after that. Kinda like a small brother of the Duke 200 .
Exhaust note is quite sad. Accelerating and deaccelerating has the same note and sharpness and is quite annoying when the note itself sounds like paper fluttering.

80 comes up in a wink. I couldn't go more than 85 and the vibes are quite pronounced .
Typical sports posture ,reminded me of the old R15.
The new chassis and springs do make a difference as does the front brakes ,rear pedal and brakes don't help Much.
Overall, a mad bike from RE like the Duke200 from KTM in the sense that it has that mad power which can be used for sudden acceleration.

First bike from RE which is not a sedate cruiser.

Last edited by tharian : 28th December 2013 at 14:26.
Old 28th December 2013, 16:52   #250
BHPian

I just got back from an exhilarating test ride of the Continental GT. After my sedate riding style on my 1991 Bullet Standard, this bike was completely different, beginning with the brakes on the right and gear lever on the left, and both levers almost identical. But after I got used to that, it was fun all the way.
I did a short ride up and down a hill road, and decided on the spot to book it. The acceleration, compared to my 1991 Standard, was quick. And at all times, I felt in complete control, swinging around curves. In my mind's eye, I was on a BSA Gold Star... forgive the hyperbole. I loved this bike so much.
I didn't use the brakes much, but changed gears when I wanted to slow down: put this down to my personal riding style on my own bike, which is very forgiving. To me, the bar end mirrors were useless, I could see nothing. I rode the single seat version, and shop people said a dual seat can be fitted on delivery for about Rs 3,800. On the road price is Rs 204,000, and the deposit I paid was Rs 5,000.
The shop says expected delivery is around 8 to 9 months, with 20 bookings ahead of me. I can hardly wait.

Last edited by flotsam : 28th December 2013 at 16:57. Reason: Added more information
Old 28th December 2013, 20:58   #251
Senior - BHPian

Here is a review from someone who owns a 500 for the 9th year and a 350 and a duke 390.

GT 535 is the bike to pick from the RE stable and if you are thinking of the 500, just drop the idea there and pick this beautiful bike. There will be quirks and issues and problems post owning. But that comes with the 500 as well.

In a nut shell the pros and cons are as follows:-

Pros:-
- Looks. Killer and its highly functional - Will come to that later.
- Great seating position
- Great low end torque to avoid gear shifting.
- Great power. You can hit 100 in 3rd gear and still know there are 3 more gears to left(But hardly that matters for post 100 the bike takes some time to get faster)
- Sedateness by perception to achieve the 100 in 3 gears.
- Great paint job
- Smooth gear shifts atleast in the test ride bike.

Pros of Pros - These are the exact reason why i would blindly pick this bike beyond those pros above

- Brakes. Heck you dont need the rear brakes. The front brakes are not from RE stable. Its so GOOD and its so sufficient. Imagine riding at 100 and stopping rapidly without worrying unlike in your current generation bulls. The brakes are the No 1 reason you should pick this bike. Heck i was superimpressed with 390 Duke to only be surprised by the GT. Love the brakes . Period.....

- Tyres and suspension are fantastic. You DONT have to stop for small speed brakers which inturn means the bad roads are just another road for this bike.

- Most importantly. Handling. This bike will handle your ghats day in day out better than any bull IMHO. The seating position, the weight and the way it accelerates only means, you will be beaming with smile everytime you hit a corner. And best part is the design is meant to stick your knees out and try touching the road. Honestly for a second i thought i can do it even inside the city for the weight of the bike only aids in getting so much control when you decide to move your weight and take the turn with your body and not with the handle bar.

All in all this is the second area where the bike just threw me off my own perception and showed me that it can handle roads so effectively.

The growls:-

- Rear brake lever is stupidly designed. We are used to "Bus" brakes in bullets. This new age brake is stupid, hard to use and hardly give you a feel of using the brakes. Design wise this is exactly the sore point.

- The acceleration cable is bloody hard. In both the test bikes the acceleration cable almost feels like you are pulling the wire attached to a 5kg dumbbell.

- The welding job is crappy and shows all through the frame. The sore point of owning a RE continues.

Never been impressed with the Electronics and that age will continue for me with RE.

This is the bike that will turn heads and secondly will give every other 150-200 cc bikes a race from the stop signal. It will be a great tourer and i wont mind adding one later next year when someone decides to sell

Overall i am very impressed and the artifical wait time being created by RE is going to only make them lose customers. Just stop making people wait more than a month. In fact just manufacture by order and delivery by 30 days. Idiots.
VW2010 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 12:42   #252
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

I need to find out if the Brembo front disc kit can:

1) Be fitted on to the stock RE fork legs of a 2002 Std 500 (bikini mudguard with stays).

2) What it costs?

NOTE: The rear Paioli shockers cost Rs. 7527 + 12.5% VAT EACH.

That comes to approximately 17K for a pair.

Enjoy .... !

They are 360 mm in length, compared to 300 mm for the standard oil (non gas) rear shocks of the Bullet.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 14:41   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I need to find out if the Brembo front disc kit can:

1) Be fitted on to the stock RE fork legs of a 2002 Std 500 (bikini mudguard with stays).

Should be possible except that we may have to change the hub. My guess is to do it seperately we are looking at around over 20K for the change. But IMHO these are totally worth over the make shift discs we have in our current bikes.

I am already enquiring parts details to see if someone can arrange this for my bull
Old 30th December 2013, 14:45   #254
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
My guess is to do it seperately we are looking at around over 20K for the change.

I am already enquiring parts details to see if someone can arrange this for my bull
Btw, my std 500 is still running on drum brakes.

If the rear shockers cost 17K a pair, I shudder to even ask the price of the front disc kit.

What about the Bybre ones on the Tbird 500? How good are they?
Old 30th December 2013, 15:02   #255
Senior - BHPian

The Tbird 500 seems to attract a lot of bad feedback on their rear brakes. But on a simple comparison the GT brakes will give you new confidence on your bull. Remember those days when you hit the brakes and a little help from foot to stop our bull in emergency. Those days could be history if this brembo performs like it did in the test bike.

With so much weight and balanced seating position the front brakes in RE standards are just exceedingly ahead of their R&D

The rear brakes of the Tbird seems to be very notorious for failure or problem for some reason.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks