Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2013, 00:48   #16
BHPian

re: Royal Enfield Bullet 500 - NEW model coming. EDIT : Launched @ 1.53 Lakhs

The upcoming RE Continental GT looks way cool, and 535cc + 35hp sounds even better. Would be cool to see the Ace Performance guys (the US guys who do the Ace Fireball kit for RE Bullets) get their hands on one, wonder how many more hp they could extract!

As for the usual complaints against RE, I understand where they come from and do agree with them on most counts - God knows how many times my old CI Bullet died out on me during college days, pushing that khatara lug of iron on hot, dusty Delhi streets aren't exactly my fondest memories! My brother, puffdamgcdragon will concur!!!

At the same time, being a classic-everything-fan, I love the looks of most 50s & 60s British bikes (as well as BMWs and Italian bikes from the same era through to the 70s) and I think the RE does have the classic lines and good-looks of the better Brit bikes of that era - I don't know if the same can be said about our Ambassador Cars!!! Now if RE were only to upgrade the quality and finish of its ever increasing range of bikes it would make many people very very happy!

I also own another bike, a modern Triumph Bonneville (2006 model, so it's carbureted instead of EFI). Of course, it's a modern classic somewhat along the same lines as the modern RE Bullets, but its overall quality is way better than the RE's, as well as having much bigger displacement & horse power. A common complaint about it is its heavier weight, but I hardly feel the difference. It can be flicked around crowded urban streets like a much smaller bike, yet also has the power to buzz through the super-fast American expressways without any problem. At the end of the day I just park it in a corner and forget about it till the next ride - so minimal maintenance required! And it elicits tons of positive response from people in the streets all the time, strangers give me nods & thumbs-up all the time, come up asking about its classic looks, what year is it, reminiscing about the old Triumphs, BSAs and Nortons they rode in their youth, etc. A guy I know who rides an RE Bullet in the US receives similar response from random people in the streets.

All said & done, I'll still be getting myself a Bullet 500 soon, except I haven't decided which one is it going to be!!!
grplr02 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 15:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

The RE bullet is now much improved. Quality of parts, quality of fittings, and quality of the bike itself is quite alright when compared to the competition. Believe me when I say this, but the CBR250 has much more panel gaps and low rent plastics when compared to the TB 500. People generally buy junk bullets (CI ones) from 5th hand market deals, shady dealers and then claim to restore them (usually a paint and chrome job), then complain about oil leaks and lack of quality.
Atleast a 1979 bullet is restorable to running order, can you say the same about your favorite Hero Honda, Honda, Bajaj or TVS plastic?

Please stop demeaning any manufacturer based on hearsay. If bullets were so bad, every year 70000 new ones wouldnt get sold, with an orderbook about 1.5lacs orders on an average and people queueing up at RE showrooms plonking their cash and happily waiting for 8 months or more to get one home.
Old 6th April 2013, 18:04   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Please stop demeaning any manufacturer based on hearsay. If bullets were so bad, every year 70000 new ones wouldnt get sold, with an orderbook about 1.5lacs orders on an average and people queueing up at RE showrooms plonking their cash and happily waiting for 8 months or more to get one home.
I own a Classic 500 and the build quality is terrible. I feel people are queuing up for the bike due to their perception of what the bike is, not because it is actually good.
GreaseMonk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 18:37   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonk View Post
I own a Classic 500 and the build quality is terrible. I feel people are queuing up for the bike due to their perception of what the bike is, not because it is actually good.
I am curious, Why did you buy your bullet? Does it give you any benifit compared to other bikes. Also when did you get your classic? Was it over 2 years back?
I used to be a big bullet basher until I got my TB500. I bought it only because my friends ride in a bullet club and only way i could join them was by buying a RE. Only when i started using my bike I realised that I made such a great decision.
Old 6th April 2013, 19:06   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Believe me when I say this, but the CBR250 has much more panel gaps and low rent plastics when compared to the TB 500.
Since when did RE's start using plastic?

And could you please elaborate more on low rent plastics used on the CBR-250R?

A pic showing panel gaps between both would help illustrate your point better.

Quote:
People generally buy junk bullets (CI ones) from 5th hand market deals, shady dealers and then claim to restore them (usually a paint and chrome job), then complain about oil leaks and lack of quality.
Atleast a 1979 bullet is restorable to running order, can you say the same
They didn't exist then, did they. Along with Bullets there are Yezdi, Jawa & Rajdoots as well which can be seen.

Quote:
Please stop demeaning any manufacturer based on hearsay.
Quite contrasting comments within short interval.

Quote:
about your favorite Hero Honda, Honda, Bajaj or TVS plastic?

Quote:
If bullets were so bad, every year 70000 new ones wouldnt get sold, with an orderbook about 1.5lacs orders on an average and people queueing up at RE showrooms plonking their cash and happily waiting for 8 months or more to get one home.
A product being sold doesn't make it better than competition. If someone is comparing a RE Motorcycle to a main stream Motorcycle, I can only say that their passion for Motorcycles & Motrcycling needs to evolve further. RE is in a class of its own & honestly there is no competition for it. A RE can only be compared to a RE. The same way a H-D can only be compared to a H-D.

Thanks.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 20:21   #21
MHG
BHPian

Please Quit Trolling

Quote:
Atleast a 1979 bullet is restorable to running order, can you say the same about your favorite Hero Honda, Honda, Bajaj or TVS plastic?
Sorry to burst your bubble there, but I have personally seen a very well maintained (it didn't even NEED any restoration, just regular servicing) Hero Honda CD100 from 1985 that still delivers ~80 km/l mileage. Also seen a restored IND-Suzuki bike from the same period. And I've seen SEVERAL fine examples of various other bikes well restored from several decades back.

I've seen a whole bunch of RE fanboys trolling forums about how awesome their iron horses are and everyone else's bikes suck. It's a good thing to love your bike, but ignorantly bashing everybody else's ride is just pathetic.
MHG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 20:24   #22
BHPian

Quote:
I am curious, Why did you buy your bullet?
When I bought it, it was due to the torque figures and a promise of reliability (I was coming from a second hand CI STD 350) at high speeds (in the states, they marketed it stating that this bike can do 60 mph all day). The thing is whenever an RE's properties are described, there is always a silent disclaimer of "relative to other REs". Its never an absolute. The bike is definitely more reliable than my 350, however, claiming it stands in the league of other manufacturers is delusional. As far as the torque is concerned, yes, it feels amazing , but when it comes down to performance, I am still able to reach a higher top speed on an R15 than on my bike (I weigh 120 kilos).

Quote:
Does it give you any benifit compared to other bikes.
Its more comfortable over bad roads, but it feels less planted.

Quote:
Also when did you get your classic? Was it over 2 years back?
Yes. 2.5 years now.

Quote:
I used to be a big bullet basher until I got my TB500. I bought it only because my friends ride in a bullet club and only way i could join them was by buying a RE. Only when i started using my bike I realised that I made such a great decision.
When did you get the TB500? When was it launched? It couldn't be more than a couple months. You can't really comment on the build quality of the vehicle after such a short period of time. Even my classic felt amazing for the first few months. Then:

Battery charging issues.
Vibrations loosening screws and causing my mirror glass to fall out.
Rust (didn't have this on my 350).
Fuel injection issues on partial throttle openings or when coming to a stand still.
Chain constantly getting loose exacerbating the fuel injection and battery issues (low battery causes shifty throttle response).
An engine rebuild at 15k km.
A low beam that blinds on-coming traffic with no way to lower the beam at the service centre. Coupled with the battery charging issues, I only use my pilot lights when riding in traffic at night.

Last edited by GreaseMonk : 6th April 2013 at 20:27.
GreaseMonk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2013, 07:46   #23
Senior - BHPian

Re: Please Quit Trolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post

I've seen a whole bunch of RE fanboys trolling forums about how awesome their iron horses are and everyone else's bikes suck. It's a good thing to love your bike, but ignorantly bashing everybody else's ride is just pathetic.
Thank you!! You bought out exactly what I wished to highlight. Its time for lot of forum members to stop bashing RE because you ride something else, and speak about percieved ills on the bike. Dude if you have so much of a problem, dont buy, simple.

Likewise Honda/Bajaj or other FanBoys should stop criticizing about one bike to highlight how great their machines are.

This trolling comment should apply to all who are speaking about other bikes on this RE thread...
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2013, 08:45   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonk
The thing is whenever an RE's properties are described, there is always a silent disclaimer of "relative to other REs". Its never an absolute. The bike is definitely more reliable than my 350, however, claiming it stands in the league of other manufacturers is delusional. As far as the torque is concerned, yes, it feels amazing , but when it comes down to performance, I am still able to reach a higher top speed on an R15 than on my bike
No one could have put it better. I stand by what you say

Quote:
Battery charging issues.
Fuel injection issues on partial throttle openings or when coming to a stand still.
Chain constantly getting loose exacerbating the fuel injection and battery issues (low battery causes shifty throttle response).
A low beam that blinds on-coming traffic with no way to lower the beam at the service centre. Coupled with the battery charging issues, I only use my pilot lights when riding in traffic at night.
That is quite a lot of issue. How is the support from RE ASC?

No one I believe has any issue with RE. It is just that when you start throwing your opinion as to how good an RE is compared to other bikes is when flame baits start.

There must be something good about riding a RE, for sure, as many negatives of it are overlooked & RE's are purchased for the riding pleasure they provide to individuals who prefer RE's thump, aura, visual & aural delights & other virtues over mainstream Motorcycle.

Lets not throw opinions & learn to accept truth.
Old 8th April 2013, 08:41   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When I bought it, it was due to the torque figures and a promise of reliability (I was coming from a second hand CI STD 350) at high speeds (in the states, they marketed it stating that this bike can do 60 mph all day). The thing is whenever an RE's properties are described, there is always a silent disclaimer of "relative to other REs". Its never an absolute. The bike is definitely more reliable than my 350, however, claiming it stands in the league of other manufacturers is delusional. As far as the torque is concerned, yes, it feels amazing , but when it comes down to performance, I am still able to reach a higher top speed on an R15 than on my bike (I weigh 120 kilos).

Its more comfortable over bad roads, but it feels less planted.

Yes. 2.5 years now.

When did you get the TB500? When was it launched? It couldn't be more than a couple months. You can't really comment on the build quality of the vehicle after such a short period of time. Even my classic felt amazing for the first few months. Then:

Battery charging issues.
Sad to hear of these issues in your bike.

Yes my bike just finished about 5000kms now, but believe me its as reliable as the next door 100cc commuter. Add petrol and ride, thats it. Didnt face any issue of rusting, oil leaks, malfunctioning, paint fading/chipping, chain getting loose or equipment failures.
Plus I have not been babying the bike, and regularly take her to her top rpm of 4000+ to hit about 140kmph when I can.
So I safely assume, that with half my warranty over, and no sign of issues, this bike is built reliable as they come.
For me this bike is the perfect bike, because where else would I get a half liter cruiser, at a low price, giving reasonable performance, decent 34-35kmpl economy, comes from a old school heritage, and provides me with some good biking experience.
Old 8th April 2013, 09:20   #26
BHPian

Quote:
I am on the opposite end of the spectrum. I own a classic 500 too. Ive ridden about 13k kms in less than 8 months. I ride about 60-70 kms everyday. I've pushed the bike to its limits, but I've had no issues with the bike whatsoever. I think the UCE engines on the newer bikes are amazing. I havent had any issues with shoddy build quality either. I just make sure I maintain the bike well regularly, as any owner should.

Quoting ArizonaJim from another thread, "Yes there are a few niggles but to my thinking those can be expected when over 80000 units are made each year. That's over 1500 motorcycles per week. Some minor things are bound to sneak thru."

I am not saying the bike doesnt have issues, but i dont think it is accurate to say that the build quality is terrible for all the bikes.
enfield_500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 16:19   #27
BHPian

Apachelongbow since you've been getting a pretty healthy fuel economy of 35kmpl I was wondering if the new TB500 is giving a better fuel economy than the classic series? Im a student and fuel efficiency can be a deal breaker for me. confused between TB 500 and TB 350. My only purpose of buying RE is extensive touring.
Old 8th April 2013, 19:50   #28
BHPian

To me machismo was the best looking Enfield ever made. Ofcourse tha's a personal opinion. I spoke to few mechanics at Royal Enfield service centres in as well as engineers in Chandigarh and Delhi. What i noticed was they were not really keen in pitching the 500 efi series of bullets, especially when i told them i only need it for extensive touring. On the other hand everyone was very enthusiastic about 350 series. However if this 500 is a carb one then my need for a bike with adeqaute power as well as easily serviceability is fulfilled. I remember old Machismo's. This thing is surely bringing back those memories. With a little modifications and paintjob i think it can be made to look like machismo. But I am apprehensive about quality as RE has had a bad experience with 500 carbs before. 500 efi series seem to be doing much better
Old 9th April 2013, 17:10   #29
BHPian

Well to compare the build quality of the new vs the old RE's I feel the CI ones are more reliable. I don't intend to compare it with anyone but this is my personal experience. I still own a 2005 Electra 4S no disc brakes, no self start, no headaches. Seriously no headaches yet. However, the new engines might be good but the design is not up to the mark. Here's why. A couple of weeks ago I had to visit my mechanic as my bike went a bit out of tune. Got it tuned and she runs like magic but I saw a TB350 Twin Spark which arrived there for a service.

When I asked my mechanic friend what was wrong with it, he narrated a horror story. What happened was the rider of the TB350 TS was going at roughly around 80 kmph and without any warning the chain snapped. One of the ends slammed on the engine case and made a huge hole in it and what happened next is that the main nut that holds the entire sprocket assembly and the brakes slipped off from the swing arm making the rider guess where the brakes have gone in the middle of all this horror.

By now I was so curious I asked the mechanic to explain how in the world a chain snap could be this disastrous. He says for the oldies, if your chain snaps, it goes freely on to the ground but on the new UCE engines, the gear shifter goes right underneath the sprocket (the smaller one) and when the chain snaps if it get folded up for a second, you're done. You call that great design?

Another case, a TB350TS again, had a never ending problem of shutting itself down in the middle of anywhere it pleases. Made the mechanic go mad, and he found that there was some exposed wires on the main wiring harness. After mending the same problem 20 odd times later, the bikes unfortunate owner buried the old wiring harness for an entirely new set. Talk about build quality? At the moment, we have to admit it is bad. I dont mean to say that in the good old days it was exceptional but it was at least better. I have never heard of a CI RE getting an engine rebuild at 15k km on the odo.
Old 9th April 2013, 18:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

Re: Please Quit Trolling

Quote:
Thank you!! You bought out exactly what I wished to highlight. Its time for lot of forum members to stop bashing RE because you ride something else, and speak about percieved ills on the bike. Dude if you have so much of a problem, dont buy, simple.

Likewise Honda/Bajaj or other FanBoys should stop criticizing about one bike to highlight how great their machines are.

This trolling comment should apply to all who are speaking about other bikes on this RE thread...
I have this weird feeling that I am a fish as I write this. I wonder why

To your comment - "Its time for lot of forum members to stop bashing RE because you ride something else, and speak about percieved ills on the bike. Dude if you have so much of a problem, dont buy, simple.". As you will see from my signature, I have owned an RE. Loved it. Then hated it. So much so that I broke the bank to buy a CBR 250R - that is trouble free compared to the RE. And now, I have sold the RE too - for a low price but just wanted it gone. I think it is people like us who are the biggest critics of the RE stable. Moreover, for us, it is not perceived ills. We have gone through hell with the bike. And for me, it has given up so many times that I just could not take it any more! And for me, the problem was that I was a dude who did just that - I had bought an RE. I guess I have all rights to bash the RE then.

Quote:
Why? RE guys do it all the time. You have this one word to describe any bike that is not an RE - PLASTIC. And you talk about the build quality of our bikes. But we're talking about performance, proper stats of our machines. And you compare metal with PLASTIC.

Quote:
I think my comment above about how you guys label all other bikes as PLASTIC should apply to all you RE-Chest-Thumpers.

And please quit trolling. I am just a fish who swallowed a bait.
naveenroy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks