Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2013, 12:05   #181
BHPian

Re: I Live again: Thunderbird 500 Ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by charade View Post
Does the leg guard significantly affect mileage? I didn't it would be that heavy!
Since I saw your post I have been wondering and scratching my head as to how I should approach your problem. After a lot of pondering, I think I finally have the answer:

To offset the additional weight of the leg guard, it is best to ride on an empty stomach through out the day and have only one meal, in the evening, once you reach home. This should save a couple of Kgs of weight on the bike.

No sarcasm meant, just got my jugular
Insearch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 15:50   #182
BHPian

Folks, I have booked a TB 500 and on a long waiting list for the last 2 months or so. In the meantime i learned today that someone at work is selling his almost new (less than 3 months old) TB 350 CC bike. He has already ridden 3700 Km and expecting Rs. 1.35. He claims he is hardcore biker and have taken care of it like his "body" :-),

So, couple of question...

Should i consider this option - 350 vs 500 , used vs new
If so, what would be the ideal price
Also, if i cancel my exiting booking, will i get a full refund from the dealer?

Thanks for any inputs...
Old 2nd April 2013, 18:48   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
Folks, I have booked a TB 500 and on a long waiting list for the last 2 months or so. In the meantime i learned today that someone at work is selling his almost new (less than 3 months old) TB 350 CC bike. He has already ridden 3700 Km and expecting Rs. 1.35. He claims he is hardcore biker and have taken care of it like his "body" :-),

So, couple of question...

Should i consider this option - 350 vs 500 , used vs new
If so, what would be the ideal price
Also, if i cancel my exiting booking, will i get a full refund from the dealer?

Thanks for any inputs...
My two cents:
1. There is nothing like breaking in a bike on your own terms.
2. If patience is the issue and not the price: Better have patience.
3. The additional power of a 500 will come in handy if you plan to tour, especially in the hills.
4. RE these days is committing long waiting periods but generally delivering earlier. If the new plant comes on line, they may actually clear a lot of backlog sooner.
5. We compromise on many things in life to be able to live other things to the fullest. Please make a wise choice on what you are ok compromising on.

Regards.
Insearch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 01:30   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

nemo:

It's difficult to know what "taking care of it like his "body"" involves.

There are those who dedicate their lives to keeping their bodies in peak shape, never subjecting it to anything that could damage it.
On the other hand, there are others who take care of their bodies by eating everything in sight and drinking as much alcohol as their stomach can hold while sitting on their rear at every opportunity.

The fact that the previous owner has already put over 3700 Km in less than 2 months may be a clue to the reason he's looking at getting a 500.
He rides a lot and the 350 doesn't have the power he's looking for.

That would indicate he has probably pushed it to its limits a number of times and found it lacking.

Although the new UCE powered machines are capable of much better reliability and speed than the old Iron Barrel or the AVL no machine can endure being ridden at its limits for long without some sort of excessive wear.

On the other hand, perhaps he just takes his time and chugs along on his daily 62km rides. There is no way of knowing.

That said, if I were you I would opt for the new motorcycle so I could break it in gently and know that all of the necessary oil and filter changes were done when they should be.
ArizonaJim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 11:22   #185
BHPian

Thanks for your perspective folks, it's helpful. I have decided to give it a passé, i was not convinced with the offer from the beginning anyway.

He had requested me to have a look at the bike and i will do it tomorrow.I'll post my views once i do so, If not for me, it may be useful for someone else.
Old 8th April 2013, 16:15   #186
BHPian

Hey guys has anyone tried ladakh panniers or something similar on the new TB 500. I want to know how they perform. My another question is are will the tent and sleeping bag shown by INSEARCH suffice in 6000m + alitudes? Does Mr Mufi have something for expedition level too??
Old 10th April 2013, 09:21   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibhavraghav View Post
Hey guys has anyone tried ladakh panniers or something similar on the new TB 500. I want to know how they perform. My another question is are will the tent and sleeping bag shown by INSEARCH suffice in 6000m + alitudes? Does Mr Mufi have something for expedition level too??
Since the deliveries for the TB 500 began in mid November, not many people would have had a chance to run in the bikes and take them for a long ride. If you have Ladakh (For trying out the panniers) on your mind, then I am pretty sure it has not been tried as yet, since the passes would be snowed in and closed.

Also, I am not sure, if you mean the saddle bags or the metal frame. I have dirtsack bags and they fit pretty well, with a duffle bag that gets tied to the panniers and sits on the pillion seat. I feel that they may not have enough space for a 15 day Ladakh trip. I have been mulling buying the bags recommended by ebonho in post #121. Here is the link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...0-i-live-again-. the good part being that they are water proof and will not require an additional cover. Also check out this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ster-colt.html
I recently saw some larger bags at the "Adventure on the Rocks", Store. will try and post a photograph, by the weekend, of the bags and the brand details.
Regarding the tents, do check out with Mr. Mufi. My understanding is that these tents are regularly used by mountaineers at the Mt. Everest base camp. Same goes for the sleeping bags. (Base camp is at 5300 metres).
One question that even I have had in mind is if the panniers will be enough or the metal frame is a necessity for hanging the extra baggage required for the Leh ride.
Regards

Last edited by Insearch : 10th April 2013 at 09:25.
Old 14th April 2013, 10:21   #188
BHPian

While I could not go for the ride that I had wished for in post number 180, another development has happenned.
I had complained of a malfunction in the speedo cluster in previous posts. After visiting the workshop three times and not getting a replacement, I finally complained online, on the RE website. Pleasant surprise! I got a call from the RE representative in Hyderabad promising me that the cluster would be available within the next 2 days and asked for my preferred workshop too.
In short my cluster has been replaced, without any cost, and it took all of 30 minutes at the workshop. I feel that I would not have got similar attention with some other brands. Critics may argue about the ready availability of parts but the fact remains that a responsive service team is the more critical element of an ownership experience. As long as RE is watching over it's dealers and listening to customers, I wish them all the best. A snap of the new console:

Thank you Royal Enfield!
I Live again: Thunderbird 500 Ownership-cluster.jpg
Old 28th April 2013, 20:18   #189
BHPian

As I ready my body and mind for the Ladakh journey this August, I am trying to build up on the riding time. So today (Sunday), I got to ride with the Wanderers group to Ananthagiri Hills. It was really fun, getting together early morning as the bikes lined up one by one and all variety of bullets were to be seen. The thump from some of the older bikes had been tweaked by the owners to be so loud that it made quite a racket and acted like a siren for the whole group, moving through traffic. More than 40 bullets moving in a line, on the highway were quite a sight! While I could not take photographs of the bikes in motion, here are a couple of photographs to give you the idea.

This is the front of the train:
I Live again: Thunderbird 500 Ownership-front.jpg

And this is the lateral half
I Live again: Thunderbird 500 Ownership-back.jpg

We went a bit off-road and rested under the cool shade of tall and wide mango trees, overlooking this soothing little temple.
I Live again: Thunderbird 500 Ownership-temple.jpg

The day did get pretty hot and this photo stop under the sun was quite a bit dehydrating.
I Live again: Thunderbird 500 Ownership-bunched.jpg

While I hardly knew anybody, never felt out of place, with the seniors in the group being friendly and warm. Managed to meet a few very interesting people.
All in all, a lovely and satisfying day, made possible by the ownership of an RE bike.
Insearch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 09:39   #190
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insearch View Post
As I ready my body and mind for the Ladakh journey this August, I am trying to build up on the riding time.
I wish you all the best for your Ladakh trip, Insearch. Perhaps the first Thunderbird 500 to ride to Ladakh.
Quote:
So today (Sunday), I got to ride with the Wanderers group to Ananthagiri Hills.
That should be a 700+ km-trip. Well-done.
  (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 17:04   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Ananthgiri Hills is 80kms one-away from Hyderabad and would be maximum 100kms depending on where you stay in Hyderabad and also if you cross the hills and go to a beautiful lake which is little beyond the Vikarabad town.

Overall, ride to AH and back will not cross 200kms !!!

Insearch, pleasantly surprised to see you join this ride. I missed out on this ride as I had some chores to wrap up this weekend. Will not be missing the next short ride with Wanderers
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 22:19   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I wish you all the best for your Ladakh trip, Insearch. Perhaps the first Thunderbird 500 to ride to Ladakh.

Thanks for the good wishes! I am really excited and a bit scared too.

Mobike008 is correct about the distance of Anantagiri hills. it was a total of 170 kilometres. In fact I had planned a 600 km ride over 2 days of the weekend, but it did not fructify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
...if you cross the hills and go to a beautiful lake which is little beyond the Vikarabad town.

Overall, ride to AH and back will not cross 200kms !!!

Insearch, pleasantly surprised to see you join this ride. I missed out on this ride as I had some chores to wrap up this weekend. Will not be missing the next short ride with Wanderers
Hi Avi. Well thanks to you actually, for introducing me to the Wanderers.
I have not seen the lake in the hills, let's plan a picnic some time. Even better: a night under the stars. I owe you a ride anyway, so let me know your thoughts.
Regards.

Last edited by Insearch : 29th April 2013 at 22:25. Reason: Adding comments
Old 5th May 2013, 20:45   #193
BHPian

I finally got to do the ride that I had been wanting to. Saturday morning at 6.30 am rode off to Nanded to pay obeisance at Hazoor Saheb Gurudwara. While I was worried about my own endurance, I was happy to be able to do it with only one 10 minute stop, which included refueling the bike. The heat did take it's toll though. I drank up 2.5 litres of water on reaching Nanded and did not feel like a leak! The body absorbed most of it.
Spent some lovely and peaceful time at the Gurudwara and rode back at 1.30 am in the morning on Sunday.
Here is what the Sanctum Sanctorum looked like when I started back, post midnight:
I Live again: Thunderbird 500 Ownership-gurudwara.jpg

Again on the way back only one stop for a quick rehydration at dawn:
I Live again: Thunderbird 500 Ownership-bike.jpg

Hats off to the long distance riders. My backside is not used to this kind of riding and became quite numb and painful (at the same time). Overall the ride was fun and I learnt quite a few things about the bike, myself and baggage management.

Here is the trip meter reading:
I Live again: Thunderbird 500 Ownership-meter.jpg

Reached back home around 6.30 am, Sunday.

Last edited by Insearch : 5th May 2013 at 20:55. Reason: Language
Insearch is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 15:13   #194
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Mate, appears that you have had a good time riding along with a good darshan @ Nanded. Appears that you did not visit the Nanak Jeera in Bidar? Thought both were on the same leg. My apologies could be bad with my geographical sense.

Quick check on your ride and your sore back. Two possible suggestions to watch out for your next ride
1) Are those rear shock absorbers adjustable? If yes you can have a look at adjusting them to your benefit.
2) Did you try shifting your seating posture periodically to even out the stress? Do experiment till you find a sweet spot. There will be one for sure and do not pay heed to what other's think about it. End of the day its your bum that you should watch out.

PS: With your growing confidence on long rides my offer to ride midway on the BLR-HYD road is still open.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 21:49   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Congrats Mate, appears that you have had a good time riding along with a good darshan @ Nanded. Appears that you did not visit the Nanak Jeera in Bidar? Thought both were on the same leg. My apologies could be bad with my geographical sense.
Yes I did enjoy myself. Even the stares from people to see a man in a jacket, gloves, boots, at the peak of summer, with a loaded bike, were a nice novelty .
There are multiple routes to Nanded. I mostly take the route through Bidar, as I did this time too. I had already made a round trip to the Guru Nanak Gurudwara a couple of months back and decided not to stop there. I was well punished for this folly. The road just broke down for a stretch of 20-30 kilometers. It was being re-built I guess. But the contractor seems to have been a sadist, and instead of a pot holed road, it was just loose stones and I struggled to keep the bike upright on it.
So on the way back I took a different route.

Quote:

Quick check on your ride and your sore back. Two possible suggestions to watch out for your next ride
1) Are those rear shock absorbers adjustable? If yes you can have a look at adjusting them to your benefit.
Yes the shock absorbers are adjustable and I plan to experiment with them next weekend. That should come up as an update soon. Thanks for the suggestions!
Quote:
2) Did you try shifting your seating posture periodically to even out the stress? Do experiment till you find a sweet spot. There will be one for sure and do not pay heed to what other's think about it. End of the day its your bum that you should watch out.
Yes I did keep shifting to find the right support. Here is a funny one: I parked myself on the hard separation between the rider and the pillion seat, just for relief. First of all it must have looked funny to an onlooker, second: as my hips re-adjusted and the circulation flowed, I let out a howl of pain and ecstasy. Luckily, I had the helmet on and no one could see my expression. Laughed to myself...
Thanks for the motivation, next time I will remember your advice and not feel shy/embarassed about it!

Quote:

PS: With your growing confidence on long rides my offer to ride midway on the BLR-HYD road is still open.
I would love to do that, and kind of you to remember it! You have any dates in mind?

Last edited by Insearch : 6th May 2013 at 22:07. Reason: grammar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks