Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2013, 17:18   #16
BHPian

Re: One month with my Avenger 220

Guys, my friend dot a new Avenger 220 last month. He did first 2000 odd kms below 60kmph.

Last weekend, he was riding on highway, and was doing 120kmph, for the first time. He was riding at 110-120 for 10-15 mins. The bike was absolutely stable with minimal vibrations.

Then it turned dark. He reduced the speed to a safer 60-70 kmph. He rode for another 25-30 mins (after the sprint).

He was calmly doing 70kmph and suddenly the bike lost power! He tried to accelerate but no reponse from his Avenger. He pulled along side and the bike stopped. After that, he tried to start it. Invain. Several times, still invain! He knew it was not over heated. It was aroung 8pm. After a lot of futile efforts, he pushed the bike to a nearby lodge. Booked a room in at the lonely place. He tried to start the bike at 10.30 again but the bike did not even rumble.

Next morning, he took it to Bajaj service centre and they found the Timing chain had snapped! Fortunately there was no major visible damage to the engine. The service personnel say it was due to fast driving.

Could some one please explain why the timing chain has split on a new 2000 odd km, one month old Avanger?

Thanks
Old 8th February 2013, 19:16   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP640 View Post

Could some one please explain why the timing chain has split on a new 2000 odd km, one month old Avanger?

Thanks
Not sure. During my recent Trivandrum - Kodaikanal trip, I did 110kmph for a few minutes, but nothing went bad. But mostly I was cruising around 80-90kmph.

What did the service center guys say? I hope the timing chain was replaced for free.

Last edited by DudeWithaFiat : 8th February 2013 at 19:19.
Old 9th February 2013, 21:33   #18
BHPian

The service centre guys said it "might be" due to over speeding. May be the engine was not smoothened even after 2000km.

He paid 1200/- for labour to open the engine.
Old 19th February 2013, 23:09   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP640 View Post

He paid 1200/- for labour to open the engine.
Why? Shouldn't the warranty have covered that?
Old 20th February 2013, 00:39   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Why? Shouldn't the warranty have covered that?
Usually, labour is charged when the engine needs to be opened for whatever reason. But it can be waived off if haggled hard.

Opening the engine is not a big deal, but they make it a big deal and charge the customer whatever they feel like.

Experienced and well-trained mechs will take just 5-10 mins to open up the engine. But the svc manager speaks like it is a very expensive affair.

That's y I recommend all engine work to be done by an experienced mech whether he is part of the svc or a private professional.

Prajwal
Old 20th February 2013, 22:56   #21

Dear all, this is the problem with Indian bikes. With all due respect to Bajaj, this bike was initially launched as Eliminator with a Kawasaki engine (some 174cc) on it. It was awesome, my father had purchased this bike in red colour. It had a loads of drool factor. I can go on and on but comming back to the topic, bike's timing chain never gave up nor the engine ever stalled. I am saying this? Here is the story ..
My father had Jjust purchased this bike, way back in 2001 .. he had barely ridden it and before the bikes first service he decided to go to a long trip from Mumbai to Pune and so he did. However, he accidentally caught the Mumbai - Pune express way and soon realized that cops were chasing him and he is the only biker on that road. Initially he thought that they just want pass by but they started honking loudly so he thought of speeding up. He eventually touched and rode on 120 kmph !!. Unfortunately the four wheels caught up with him and the cops did harassed him for driving a bike on the eastern express way but they left him without any charges. But the point is nothing happend to this bike. Tats the quality of imported engines !!

The bike is still a part of the family but now i have inherited it.

Will post my story soon !
Lancerlover1717 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 23:41   #22

Congratulations for your new Avenger 220 ! Hope to own it myself too someday ! Its a beauty, its a beast, its the best ! Have a great time saddle-up !
Honda2k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 14:17   #23
BHPian

Hi Avenger owners,

I am on the other side of 35, medium built, 5.6 ft tall, and looking for a bike, not too heavy and easy to use, low on maintenance, and that can be used for occasional long rides.

I am thinking to go for Avenger. Need your inputs and suggestions.

Regards
Suhas
Old 23rd September 2014, 15:04   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blr_RK View Post
I am thinking to go for Avenger. Need your inputs and suggestions.
Hey Suhas, while I am not an Avenger owner, shall try to chip in with my 2$.

Age is just a number as long as you are physically fit and have the right attitude towards riding. So you can forget about age being a constraint.

Weight of Avenger is around 155kgs. It is not very tall but its a pretty long bike which you have to get used to in the initial days. Once used to it, you should not have an issue riding it though you are of medium built and height. Long rides on the avenger for the rider is pretty comfortable but not very much for the pillion though based on the online feedback.

For the maintenance part I will leave it to the owners to chip in. I have owned a P220 in the past and my experience with the service center in Blore was horrible to say the least. But it might have improved over the years so will leave that part for the current owners to comment on.
Old 23rd September 2014, 15:29   #25
BHPian

Hi Abhinav,

Thanks for the quick reply. I still have the attitude to ride, I guess . 2 years back, I sold my Yezdi Roadking 250.

Regarding the service center, I stay in Banashankari, and have heard lot of good feedback on Auto Service / Auto Assembly, an authorized service center of Bajaj.

Again, owners can comment.

Rgds
Suhas
Old 23rd September 2014, 16:29   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blr_RK View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I still have the attitude to ride, I guess . 2 years back, I sold my Yezdi Roadking 250.
Wow! Since you have recently sold the Roadking, and are used to handling the Yezdi itself, the Avenger should not be difficult at all except as already mentioned about the length which you need to get adjusted to.

Auto Service is definitely highly rated but never had the chance to try them since I stay in CV Raman Nagar and find it cumbersome to travel all the way for a service. But since you are in the vicinity, you can reap the benefits of the good service provided by Auto Service. Again lets wait for the owners to comment on this aspect specific to Avenger as well!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks