Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2012, 00:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

*Rumour* - Hero to phase out Ignitor, Maestro and Impulse

Quote:
They may be newly-launched products, but Hero MotoCorp has said it will phase out Impulse and Ignitor motorcycles and Maestro scooter after some time as they have been launched with technology assistance from erstwhile partner Honda Motor Co of Japan.

Pawan Munjal, MD of Hero MotoCorp, said the company wants an independent robust R&D set-up, for which it has stitched up a new technology agreement with a European design and technology provider — its third such partner since its split from Honda last year. He said going forward, Hero MotoCorp wants to develop products with its new partners so that it can replace those developed with Honda.

Hero, that is setting up an integrated R&D centre near Jaipur with an investment of Rs 400 crore, has been getting aggressive in firming up alliances to guarantee new technology flow after the departure of Honda. Munjal did not disclose the name of the new European partner. In February, the company announced a partnership with US superbike company Erik Buell Racing (EBR), and in March signed a research deal with Austrian engine manufacturer AVL.
Source: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/16293481.cms

I find this very unfortunate because the Maestro and the Ignitor have just entered the market and even before they can sell a few pieces, Hero announces a phaseout. What was the point of releasing the bike in the first place? This will inevitably prove to be a huge deterrent to anyone who even thought of buying these bikes. Bad move on the part of Hero?
Old 8th September 2012, 00:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: *Rumour* - Hero to phase out Ignitor, Maestro and Impulse

Maestro and Impulse, They both were selling in good numbers. Why did they launched it in first place.

Impulse is a success, I have seen alot of happy owners, All praising for the bike.

Not at all impressed with Hero's strategy at all. Now, If anyone will be looking to buy a Hero, He will surely think twice before doing so.

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 8th September 2012, 02:17   #3
BANNED

Well I believe this has to do something with the Royalty issue as these were based on Honda's technology and were released after the partnership was broken. Mr. Munjal is confident of releasing the impulse soon in a new avtar and so do the others.

Hero would find it extremely difficult to maintain the satus quo of world's largest 2 wheeler manufacturer more so when its ex better half (Honda) is getting stronger in strides. Hero on their part is trying hard with a Asia's largest 2 wheel R&D plant (in Jaipur) and stakes with outside manufacturer. Also they are focussing ahead for 2015 emission norms but things doesn't look too promising for now. Only thing going in Hero's favor is large and well spread network but not for too long. Honda is catching up fast.

If Honda fails, it will again prove the theory of changing market dynamics and need to change with same. Yamaha lost to Bajaj, Bajaj lost to LML (partially), then LML and Bajaj lost to Hero Honda.

Regards,
Maddy
Old 8th September 2012, 02:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hero does a microsoft and osborned its own products. WAY to go

@Dear passion bhai - this only proves that all of us are capable of incredible stupidity at times. No one's perfect.
Old 8th September 2012, 04:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

I strongly believe there are some serious reasons behind this as HeroMoto is known for continuing with its models for long time unlike Bajaj who leaves their old customers with discontinued models and Zero resale value and even bigger Zero A.S.S. even with their 'Scooter/Bike of the year products' (Read Saffire, Kawasaki 115-Hoodibaba).
carwatcher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 09:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

What R&D are they coming up with to bring in the replacements for Maestro and Impulse, I am sure they will come up with some tweaked versions of the bikes/scooter and claim that their R&D was behind it.

I always though Impulse was their own effort rather than the technology from Honda. At this rate would they phase out all thier best selling models like the Splendour too?
Old 10th September 2012, 10:20   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat

Source: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/16293481.cms

I find this very unfortunate because the Maestro and the Ignitor have just entered the market and even before they can sell a few pieces, Hero announces a phaseout. What was the point of releasing the bike in the first place? This will inevitably prove to be a huge deterrent to anyone who even thought of buying these bikes. Bad move on the part of Hero?
I just bought a maestro, and it was a fresh launch in the market. Damn! Didn't expect this from hero.

Anyways, it was wife's choice. I hate the brand, and sadly I've been proved right.
Old 10th September 2012, 18:25   #8
BHPian

Impulse was good. Wonder how many fans will they lose by this move.
Expect more sticker-jobs in future. Splendor / Passion will be launched with snazzier names like Splendor-transform / GenNXT / executive etc etc with impulse' stickers
Old 10th September 2012, 19:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

If they are compelled to do this for royalty or any other reasons, it makes lot more "business" sense to phase out new products like Ignitor, Maestro and Impulse, since they are new to the market and probably have smallest market share among Hero products.

Hero wouldn't do that with Splendor or passion, since these are their bread n' butter products and are established brands in themselves.

Instead of plain stupidity, I think, this is a sensible business decision (even if their newest customers would be furious about this decision).
Old 10th September 2012, 20:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
If they are compelled to do this for royalty or any other reasons, it makes lot more "business" sense to phase out new products like Ignitor, Maestro and Impulse, since they are new to the market and probably have smallest market share among Hero products.

Hero wouldn't do that with Splendor or passion, since these are their bread n' butter products and are established brands in themselves.

Instead of plain stupidity, I think, this is a sensible business decision (even if their newest customers would be furious about this decision).

The Ignitor was completely unnecessary. Shows how creatively lacking Hero are. It'd take a lot of ignorance to not see the stark similarities between the Ignitor and the Stunner. But beside that, you're point of view is also a good one. But then, leaving a lot of customers in the lurch is not the way forward. They should've thought about it before they released the products and not after.

The Maestro was their only offering in the scooter segment besides the Pleasure and it being lapped up by the public. A more easily available alternative to the Activa. They're going to lose market share there, again.
Old 10th September 2012, 20:27   #11
BANNED

What about the Splendor? That's also a Honda product. It's still selling well though.
Old 10th September 2012, 22:17   #12
BANNED

Well I believe issue is with Royalty. Hero is not supposed to use Honda's technology and produce new products (I mean after break up). Splendour was Hero Honda and then went to Hero, so no issues with that.
Old 14th September 2012, 08:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

This is quite an irony.

In the past, I have always hated Hero Honda for not retiring the old models and flogging them for long by giving new decals in the name of product upgrades/ facelifts.

I quite liked the Impulse when they launched it. Thought Hero will be aggressive now that Honda is gone. And, they have pulled the plug before it even completed 1 year.

For whatever reason, this is not good news for the market leader.
Old 14th September 2012, 11:34   #14
Senior - BHPian

Ouch and I was just planning to do a test ride of the Impulse. Hoping Hero actually continues to provide support for it even after pulling the plug per se.
Old 14th September 2012, 12:44   #15
Senior - BHPian

mastero has been success with same honda activa in new clothes and that from hero motors well established name in indian market, why to stop it when they launched this product now in market and gaining popularity?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks