Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2020, 09:23   #886
BHPian

Re: Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!

Here are some pics. Not sure if I’ve uploaded them correctly. Best I can do with the phone right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-f179261f24f8416e8c6d99439099cc19.jpeg  

Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-4ad0b5ab4d234deba015956fe63e0f09.jpeg  

Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-dbf19579c63f4830947a3c7fc67442de.jpeg  

Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-a38caf91cd344061904789bb14f64182.jpeg  

Last edited by Endless.... : 16th February 2020 at 09:25. Reason: Had to remove a picture
Endless.... is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 09:39   #887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless.... View Post
Here are some pics. Not sure if I’ve uploaded them correctly. Best I can do with the phone right now.
The last pic, With the reflectors no longer there to take abuse from the rear wheel, my number plate at the rear is the latest victim this pic is from last evening, entering Goa after that horrendous dusty and no-roaders version of a so called state highway leading to Panjim from Hubli. It’s a whole different story that I had a blast on that entire stretch while my pal on another 390 hit the dirt on with street spec Michelin’s. Thanks to his gear, nothing untoward happened, bike and rider came out without too many scars to show
Endless.... is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 11:46   #888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless.... View Post
The last pic, With the reflectors no longer there to take abuse from the rear wheel, my number plate at the rear is the latest victim this pic is from last evening, entering Goa after that horrendous dusty and no-roaders version of a so called state highway leading to Panjim from Hubli. It’s a whole different story that I had a blast on that entire stretch while my pal on another 390 hit the dirt on with street spec Michelin’s. Thanks to his gear, nothing untoward happened, bike and rider came out without too many scars to show
I have no doubts about the ability of these tyres. I have heard enough and more about them.

My question was regarding the expected life they would give me.

At 30k on the odo, I am currently on my second set of rear tyres on the Mojo. The Rosso II had balded at 14 k but I still pushed it till 16k.

Currently running the Ceat Zoom Rad X1 at the rear. There is sizable thread and even the chicken strips still left on the sides. However, at the centre, the thread has reached dangerously close to the wear indicator. Blame the Mojo's lack of cornering clearance for the uneven wear. I reckon another 3k max before I will have to change them.

Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-img_20200217_113941.jpg
After 14k, the thread is dangerously close to the wear indicator at the centre. A lot of thread depth still remains on the sides though. With this kind of clearance limitation, radials are an overkill for the Mojo.

My next tyre is definitely an on-off road tyre. Given the unpredictablity of our roads, and seeing how my first two sets have behaved, radials, much less street based ones, make no sense.

I am already running the Timsun 822 at the front. Very satisfied with the tyre. Good grip on and off it!
For this tyre at the rear, I've been told I can expect 18- 25k km of mileage before I change. The way I ride though, it would be closer to 18 than 25.

However, we have an owner in the Mojo Tribe in Chennai who has gotten somewhere around 27k km mileage on the Scorpion Rally STR with hard riding!

Attaching a screenshot of his own admission below.

Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-img_20200217_112449.jpg

I am just trying to understand if this kind of mileage is the norm or an exception. Given how most tyres wouldn't last more than 20k at the rear, if the Scorpion STR gives this kind of life, it is a not only an exceptionally good tyre, it is also pretty VFM!

This is why, I am very curious to know what is the life BHPians have been squeezing from this tyre.

Last edited by AlQuazi : 17th February 2020 at 12:16. Reason: Grammatical error.
AlQuazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 12:12   #889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlQuazi View Post
I have no doubts about the ability of these tyres. I have heard enough and more about them.

My question was regarding the expected life they would give me.
I haven’t come across any users on this forum who have put in high mileage on these Tyres. There is one user in the 390 forum who had these Tyres fit in late 2017 or early 2018. Not sure what sort of mileage he has covered so far. I for one think that these are good for an easy 20k

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th January 2022 at 10:48. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
Endless.... is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 09:52   #890
BHPian

I have bought an yamaha FZS V3, trying to learn riding, and already had a fall last week with knee abrasion. I am looking for changing the tires to something super grippy in dry and wet condition. The bike came with 100/80 R 17 Zapper FY in the front and 140/60 R17 RevZY at the rear. What is the best tire combo?

Also, Michelin Pilot Street is available at 110/70R17 for front and 140/70R17 at rear, which is not the stock size. Is that ok for both front and rear?
Old 21st February 2020, 10:09   #891
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
I have bought an yamaha FZS V3, trying to learn riding, and already had a fall last week with knee abrasion. I am looking for changing the tires to something super grippy in dry and wet condition. The bike came with 100/80 R 17 Zapper FY in the front and 140/60 R17 RevZY at the rear. What is the best tire combo?

Also, Michelin Pilot Street is available at 110/70R17 for front and 140/70R17 at rear, which is not the stock size. Is that ok for both front and rear?
The stock tyres are pretty good in wet and dry condition. Ensure that the tyre pressure is according to what is recommended by the manufacturer , especially for the front. The rear can vary by a couple of PSI.

Zapper FY series are very good and among the best in the tyres available in the Indian market. The first gen R15 came with the Zapper FY and you must have seen how riders chucked around the corners in the R15 with those tyres.

I understand you had a bad fall and are bit jittery . You feel the need to go to better tyres from a safety point of view. However, i would strongly suggest you stick to the tyres and keep an eye on maintaining the right pressure and mastering the art of panic braking. Invest in a good analogue/digital tyre pressure guage.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 10:11   #892
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
What is the best tire combo?
See if you can get Metzelers in stock size, in case Metzeler is not available, Michelin and Pirelli would be the next best bet.

Yamaha has a nice chassis, post a tire upgrade, you will start looking for more power.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 10:19   #893
BHPian

Do we have to follow a ‘running -in’ period for tyres? A quick google search says that it can be ~400-500kms, to wear off lubricants applied to new tyres and so. If true, I don’t think these lubes can stay past a couple of rotations on our dusty roads!

Also read somewhere is it for tyres to take some kind of ‘shape’? Isn’t it scary that a new tyre would change its ‘shape’?

My thought was don’t ride very hard till tyres have attained some temperature ‘every’ ride..and not wait till some xxkms to start riding worry free!

P.S. - Does H rated and W rated tyres make a difference in following these norms, if any?
Old 4th February 2021, 18:53   #894
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfox11 View Post
Do we have to follow a ‘running -in’ period for tyres? A quick google search says that it can be ~400-500kms, to wear off lubricants applied to new tyres and so. If true, I don’t think these lubes can stay past a couple of rotations on our dusty roads!

Also read somewhere is it for tyres to take some kind of ‘shape’? Isn’t it scary that a new tyre would change its ‘shape’?..?
The running period allows the tyres to give the best performance. Its not that you cant ride fast, probably be easy on cornering, braking etc during that. A 100 kmph should still be quite possible.

On the tyres losing shape, we are not talking about massive changes - its rubber, When you subject that to a 200 kg weight, its bound to have a little deformation. Why do you think 'wear & tear' happens for a tyre (even a road for that matter) ?

None of these are going to affect a normal ride and the precautions are suggested so its not subjected to extreme conditions. Its not only tyres, engine, brake pads etc are all required to be taken easy during initial period for longevity.

PS :: if a tyre stays stiff in the event of a high speed hit into a crater, you know what'll happen. It sure will deform a little, absorb the impact to some extent too. And when the tyre hardens over the years, you know how the ride quality becomes.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 4th February 2021 at 18:59.
Old 27th February 2021, 16:18   #895
BHPian

I am looking for suggestions about scooter tyres. I've a Hero Pleasure scooter with steel rims. Current tyre is tubeless one, Ceat make. It has 5-6 punctures already and it keeps losing air as the steel rim is bent. I'm replacing both rims and tyre. It'll be fitted at the rear. Front tyre is MRF zapper, tubeless. Kindly suggest good tubeless tyres for my scooter.
Old 7th April 2021, 13:14   #896

Tyre Choices re. Himalayan?

Hey guys.
As popular as these bikes are abroad I'm getting a bit jealous at all the photos of the Himalayans that have awesome tyres fitted that will really get you off of the beaten track. What are our choices here in India? I've struggled to find many...
TIA, RC
Old 15th September 2021, 11:24   #897
Senior - BHPian

Michelin Sirac Street 3.25-19 54P Tube-Type Bike Tyre, Front https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01MRE45OE/...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Michelin Sirac Street 3.50 -19 63P Tube-Type Bike Tyre, Rear https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01M2CJG49/...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I am planning on picking up the above tyres for my 2002 Bullet Electra. I know it would probably be an over-kill for this bike, but I wanted a change from the MRFs and CEATs.
I found an Apollo as well for the rear tyre.

apollo actiGRIP R1 3.50-19 63P Tubetype Tyre Rear https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07NL2RV8Y/...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I am looking for good grip in the wet and sandy surface and should last atleast 20k kms.

Has anyone had experience on these tyres and can give a feedback before I buy them.
Old 15th December 2021, 10:33   #898
BANNED

Has anyone tried the Pilot Street 2 tyre by Michelin which is being manufactured in India. From what i know Pilot Sport was earlier manufactured in India and was a crappy tyre in all respects especially the wet grip, the pilot street was imported and was a radial. This i think comes somewhere in between but the first feature for this is excellent wet grip. Well this has been the single most dangerous complaint with Indian Michellins so far, has it been addressed?
Old 24th January 2022, 23:55   #899
BHPian

After running a set of Diablo Rosso 2 tyres for almost 3 years, I decided to change them this month. Pirelli DR2 were fantastic set of tyres. The only problem, the tyres were made in 2014. I got them in 2019 thinking they would be used within a year and then Covid struck

After around 6 years of mfg. they had started to show sign of cracks and had become extremely hard. Wasted a complete set in no more than 4000 kms

Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-9773ff3f70184f319ea78b257fb9c42f.jpg

Got to know from the instagram page of Pathpavers, Delhi that Road 5 is finally available and they imported a few. Its time for Michelin Road 5. The back was manufactured in 30/2021 and front was in 24/2020. Am I making a mistake again? Lets see.

Rode it for 50kms. Since it is still in run-in period, here are my couple of observations:

PROS:

a) Grip, grip and more grip. Just out of the box, felt like I am riding another bike. It felt so planted on tarmac.

b) Comfort: I did rode bikes with DR2, MRF revz, Apollo Alpha h1 and now this road 5. The tyres felt lighter and were comfortable over bumps with no noise. My Duke 390 ( 2014 model) wherein I feel everything on road, suddenly felt gliding( in a good way).

c) Cornering : Didnot try hard cornering as the tyres as still new, but it did hold the line wherever I tried the slightest.

CONS:

Its costly, and I mean it. For Rs 16500, plus installation and wheel balancing, it is a huge dent in pocket.

Will post my full review after a few hundred kms.
Tuisha110HP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 19:12   #900
BHPian

My uncle who mainly uses bike to go to agricultural land recently purchased TVS Raider. When I saw those TVS Eurogrip tyres, I told my cousin 'These tyres were on my Pulsar NS and these used to be slippery'. Second day, my uncle was going around 20kmph around a corner. Applied brake, bike skids and he fell down. Fortunately, he only had bruises. I thought of suggesting Michelin Pilot Street that I am using on my NS but I am not sure if they are good for broken roads that become slippery (mud from tractors and there are some sections of dirt roads) during rainy season.

Can you please suggest which tyre would be the best for the TVS Raider that can give good grip in wet and withstand torture from broken roads.
ambandla is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks