Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2017, 14:45   #706
BHPian

Re: Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!

Need inputs on changing my RTR 160 tyres.
Front Tyre- 90/90 17
Rear Tyre- 100/80 18

Both are tube type. Please suggest which tyres are suitable for everyday city commute with decent levels of grip. The options in 18 inches are really limited.

One more query. I see there are lots of tubeless available nowadays. Is tubeless tyre a direct fit on my existing wheels or need to do some changes? What will be the approx cost?

PS: This is in Bangalore. I will go to JC Road and check but would be good to have experienced members' wise words to begin with
Old 6th February 2017, 16:07   #707
BHPian

I am Using Michelin Pilot 90/90-17 up front and I have no complaints with it. Not a single puncture till date too.

At the rear I am using 110/90-Zapper Q. Not the best tyre, decent grip but now that the center part has worn off more than the sides it is highly unstable when taking turns.

My next upgrade - I have two bikes (Apache 150 and RTR 160 eFI) - Rear - I would try between the MRF Vyde and MRFs latest Masseter - both at 100/90 -18.

For the Front I m alternating between continuing the Michelin 90/90-17 or the MRF Masseter 80/90-17or even the MRF zapper fY1 90/80-17.

I guess these are the best choices in the market right now.
Old 6th February 2017, 18:19   #708
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
My next upgrade - I have two bikes (Apache 150 and RTR 160 eFI) - Rear - I would try between the MRF Vyde and MRFs latest Masseter - both at 100/90 -18.
For the Front I m alternating between continuing the Michelin 90/90-17 or the MRF Masseter 80/90-17or even the MRF zapper fY1 90/80-17.
I guess these are the best choices in the market right now.
I am using a combination of MRF FY1 90/80 (fr) and MRF Vyde 100/90 (Rear) on my Stunner and very happy with them. If road grip is your priority, you may go with these eyes closed.

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 19:28   #709
BHPian

Thank you sai_ace and saket77. I went to JC road and inquired in multiple shops. Mrf no stock in all 5 shops I checked. They're recommending Indian brands(ceat, ralco, conti) or another option is Michelin. Quote for front is 1700 and rear is 2500. Milivison suggested Appollo. So the dilemma continues. Will decide after visiting few more shops and checking mrf
Old 7th February 2017, 12:24   #710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post
Thank you sai_ace and saket77. I went to JC road and inquired in multiple shops. Mrf no stock in all 5 shops I checked. They're recommending Indian brands(ceat, ralco, conti) or another option is Michelin. Quote for front is 1700 and rear is 2500. Milivison suggested Appollo. So the dilemma continues. Will decide after visiting few more shops and checking mrf
why dont you try this MRF venture? the prices seem lesser than the actual retail prices and because its an MRF venture the availability of the tyre is guaranteed and the appointment slot for fixing them can be booked.

https://www.mrftyresandservice.com/
Old 27th February 2017, 15:03   #711
BHPian

Update: After going through the replies here and recommendations offline, managed to change tyres for my RTR 160.

Front: Michelin Pilot Sporty -90/90 17
Rear- Apollo ActiGrip AC3 - 100/90 18

Total Cost- 3600 all inclusive

Riding Experience- Have rode around 50kms. The bike feels more planted, maybe, due to tyres being heavy. Small Undulations on road go unnoticed. Rear doesnt wag on tar roads sprinled with sand/dirt. I think, since I come from TVS tyres, any other tyre would be better.

Btw, sold my 35k old tyres for Rs.300 to a local tyre shop

Thanks all for your replies.
Old 27th February 2017, 15:57   #712
Senior - BHPian

I changed my Unicorn 150 Tires to Michelin Stock Size Sirac Street around an year back at 30,000 Kms from Madhus, Bangalore(Who else can be the best dealer in Bangalore for Tires ).
Right from day 1 after I changed the tires, I started getting some hissing noise at around 20 KMPH speed from back tire. Something like the tire touching the bike metal somewhere.

I got back to Madhu's and informed them about this. They checked the issue and found it exists. They were courteous to change the back tire and tried with new tires. But, still the noise did not go. They asked me to check the chain tightness and retained the new tire on the vehicle.

I tried all the possible issues related to this sound through my standard local mechanic but the sound did not go. (Like, Checking the spots if the tire is touching - Mudguard, Sides, Chain, Chain box, etc). Mechanic confirmed, there is no mechanical friction causing this sound.

Even today, the same noise comes at 20 KMPH. There will not be any noise at speeds greater or lesser than this

What could be the issue? Can someone dig the issue and help me?

I am not really concerned now since the vehicle is safe and has run more than 16K after changing the tires. But, am really feeling guilty of myself that I could not solve this problem.

Today, I saw this thread and thought of posting this issue. Please help if there is anything that can solve this issue
Old 21st March 2017, 16:48   #713
Senior - BHPian

Looking for replacing my TB500's rear stock tyre MRF Zapper 120/80 R18 tube-type and looking for something offering better grip. Zappers were good only on tarmac and its completely useless in wet and off road terrains. Now it clocked more than 10K KMs and has hardly 30% life left feeling very unstable.

After checking with various dealers in Kochi, I am given to understand that no options of replacement are available in stock. In dilemma whether to wait or get Zappers itself which is the last thing i would want to do.
Old 17th June 2017, 20:23   #714
Senior - BHPian

I'm a motorcycle newbie and I have a few queries for the seasoned motorcycle guys! I have recently acquired a 2009 Pulsar 180 (UG 3 I guess) an need some help regarding the tyres.

- What is the recommended tyre pressure I should be keeping? The petrol bunk guys fill 30 & 40 psi for the front and rear respectively. However, the owners manual suggests 24 up front and 32 for the rear!

- The standard rear tyre size is 100/90 - 17 - 55P! What exactly is the '55P'?

- I want to get a new rear tyre, probably a wider one. Main requisite is grip - should be excellent on dry and wet surfaces! What size can I upgrade to without fouling with the chain guard etc? Also, should I go for tube type or tubeles ones? I'm not sure if the stock alloy on the motorcycle is tubeless compatible! Tyre life is not a concern because I don't expect her to clock too many miles. Budget ~ 3 grand.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Geo_Ipe : 17th June 2017 at 20:25.
Old 18th June 2017, 13:32   #715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
I'm a motorcycle newbie and I have a few queries for the seasoned motorcycle guys! I have recently acquired a 2009 Pulsar 180 (UG 3 I guess) an need some help regarding the tyres.

- What is the recommended tyre pressure I should be keeping? The petrol bunk guys fill 30 & 40 psi for the front and rear respectively. However, the owners manual suggests 24 up front and 32 for the rear!

- The standard rear tyre size is 100/90 - 17 - 55P! What exactly is the '55P'?

- I want to get a new rear tyre, probably a wider one. Main requisite is grip - should be excellent on dry and wet surfaces! What size can I upgrade to without fouling with the chain guard etc? Also, should I go for tube type or tubeles ones? I'm not sure if the stock alloy on the motorcycle is tubeless compatible! Tyre life is not a concern because I don't expect her to clock too many miles. Budget ~ 3 grand.

Thanks in advance!
1. Follow what the manual says

2. That is speed rating. Google it to know more.

3. Your rear tyre size is perfect for your machine. It provides enough grip and adding a larger tyre size will not ensure anything more than adding stress to your engine. Yet, if you decide to go for it, you could try 110/120 section tubeless tyres. Expect some performance dip when you upsize.
Old 18th June 2017, 13:37   #716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Looking for replacing my TB500's rear stock tyre MRF Zapper 120/80 R18 tube-type and looking for something offering better grip. Zappers were good only on tarmac and its completely useless in wet and off road terrains. Now it clocked more than 10K KMs and has hardly 30% life left feeling very unstable.

After checking with various dealers in Kochi, I am given to understand that no options of replacement are available in stock. In dilemma whether to wait or get Zappers itself which is the last thing i would want to do.
Other choice available is Ceat Zoom and Zoom plus. Now Zoom plus also comes as OE in classic.
Old 13th July 2017, 21:54   #717
BHPian

Here's a picture that will help in understanding your motorcycle tyre better. It's a little blurry but still legible. Hope this helps guys
Attached Thumbnails
Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-img_4440.jpg  

Old 21st July 2017, 18:19   #718
BHPian

Hi Friends,

kindly suggest good tyres for TVS Wego. The specs are 90/90 12 (54J / tubeless) for front & rear. The daily run is very low, hardly 2-5 KMs.

regards,
Pranav
Old 21st July 2017, 20:10   #719
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Hi Friends,

kindly suggest good tyres for TVS Wego. The specs are 90/90 12 (54J / tubeless) for front & rear. The daily run is very low, hardly 2-5 KMs.

regards,
Pranav
AFAIK I don't think, you have any choice for the odd size TVS uses for its scooters.
Old 21st July 2017, 21:22   #720
BHPian

I have Michelin Pilot Sporty in my Pulsar 150. Both tires are slightly bigger than the OEM tires. I get exceptional grip in dry roads also no nervousness (no handlebar shake) while driving through broken or split roads.

However, quite lot of heart-in-the-mouth moments when the road is wet which is now in Pune. It is extremely skittish. Cornering and braking needs to be done very carefully when the road is wet. Looks like Ceat is a better all rounder.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks