Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2016, 10:40   #616
Senior - BHPian

Re: Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
These are available at the dealership only for now, and a limited ones at those. The cost is also much more than those that should be once they become available in the open market.
Cheers...

Got in touch with CEAT and after waiting a month, I am mostly getting mine from a CEAT dealer this weekend.

Not sure about the cost yet, but someone I know managed to get a pair from the RE dealer here in BLR for 10K. At first I thought he was ripped off, but from your pictures it looks like the pricing is really at that level.

Not sure if RE is marking up the prices themselves, or the tyres are really that expensive. If its 5K it better be damn good, I never paid that much even for my made in Thailand Michelin Sirac's (all 5 of them that I bought over the years) .

@dkaile : Do/did you go by the same handle on rimweb forums? I used to bug you with a lot of questions many years back, while I was lost in the CDMA world
Old 4th August 2016, 10:52   #617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
@dkaile : Do/did you go by the same handle on rimweb forums?
Yup, that's me... Lolz

Cheers
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 17:07   #618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
These are available at the dealership only for now, and a limited ones at those. The cost is also much more than those that should be once they become available in the open market.

Here are the part#s and cost in case anyone is interested to get them from the dealership -

Cheers...
Thanks dkaile. Bought one today for 5.3k from the RE service center. That is a lot for a tube type tyre.

Quote:
Got in touch with CEAT and after waiting a month, I am mostly getting mine from a CEAT dealer this weekend.

Not sure about the cost yet, but someone I know managed to get a pair from the RE dealer here in BLR for 10K. At first I thought he was ripped off, but from your pictures it looks like the pricing is really at that level.

Not sure if RE is marking up the prices themselves, or the tyres are really that expensive. If its 5K it better be damn good, I never paid that much even for my made in Thailand Michelin Sirac's (all 5 of them that I bought over the years) .
Think again. Bought it from the RE service centre. Got it fixed at the CEAT Shoppe opposite Cubbon Police Station.

There was no indication on the tyre if its tubeless or tube type. Tried going tubeless. Didn't work. Had to get a tube. Need to get slime. The profile is huge though.

Cherry says Ceat Vertigo Sport is not in production as well.
anilupadhya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 17:50   #619
Senior - BHPian

That's a ridiculous price to pay for a 120 section desi tube type tyre. Its draws parallels with the cost of Pirelli Sport Demon front tyre at the RE dealership being an eye watering 12k (as reported in @Neil Jericho's thread IIRC)

For comparison, here is the price of firang tyres available in Delhi:

- Front 110/17 Metzeler - 6.5K
- Rear 140/17 IRC roadwinner - Around 3K
- 150/17 Michelin Pilot Street - Around 5K
- 140/17 Vee Rubber VRM 163 - Around 3 to 3.5K
- 130/17 Vee Rubber VRM 193 - Same as above

All the above are tubeless, high quality tyres. Its a shame RE is holding customers hostage with this kind of pricing
Old 4th August 2016, 22:37   #620
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
CEAT Vertigo Sport: I've heard good reports on this one, for all conditions - but a little pricey (Rs3,000 locally).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
Anyone out there with actual experience / comparisons with any of these under off-road / unpaved conditions?
Eric, I have used the Vertigo Sport for a few months on my Continental GT (front) before I switched to the Pirelli Sport Demon. I have done some mild off roading (nothing compared to the kind of roads you experience though, as evidenced by your wonderful thread) and was quite happy with it. I didnt face any problems with the Vertigo Sport and it does look the business as well. Paid Rs 2350 for the 100/90 18 here in Bangalore last year. Among your options, this is the one I would pick.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3830352

Quote:

Praful, RE does bump up tire prices substantially. They gave me a replacement Pirelli Sport Demon front tire with an MRP of Rs 11,465. This was for one tire! This was also at the time when PSDs were nowhere in sight and even RE took over 90 days to get me a free replacement.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3892525

One month later, stocks of the same tire started trickling into Ceat showrooms where the MRP of the same tire was around Rs 5.5K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
That's a ridiculous price to pay for a 120 section desi tube type tyre. Its draws parallels with the cost of Pirelli Sport Demon front tyre at the RE dealership being an eye watering 12k (as reported in @Neil Jericho's thread IIRC)
Quote:
All the above are tubeless, high quality tyres. Its a shame RE is holding customers hostage with this kind of pricing
Completely agree Urban Nomad, 5K for a Ceat is insane pricing. When I switched both front and rear to Ceats last October, the total bill came to only Rs 5450!
Ceat Vertigo Sport 100/90 18 : Rs 2350
Ceat Vertigo Zoom 120/80 18 : Rs 2750
New tube : 350
Total cost : Rs 5450
Old 4th August 2016, 22:41   #621
BHPian

Quote:
That's a ridiculous price to pay for a 120 section desi tube type tyre.
How different are tube tyres and tubeless tyres structure wise? To the naked eye, atleast to mine, they seem the same. I put a CEAT Zoom tubeless tyres on my previous bike which uses a tube type tyre. I saw no difference as such.

Really interested in knowing about this in a little more detail.
Old 5th August 2016, 09:26   #622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilupadhya View Post
There was no indication on the tyre if its tubeless or tube type. Tried going tubeless. Didn't work. Had to get a tube. Need to get slime. The profile is huge though.
Was the tyre not able seal properly ? I assume there is no beading to create a "fit". The Sirac I'm using is infact branded as TT, but it seals well without any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Praful, RE does bump up tire prices substantially. They gave me a replacement Pirelli Sport Demon front tire with an MRP of Rs 11,465. This was for one tire! This was also at the time when PSDs were nowhere in sight and even RE took over 90 days to get me a free replacement.
Thanks, this just confirms my suspicions. I'm all for having good rubber, but 5K+ is just too steep for a desi TT tyre, Not to forget, its a 8 year old bike

Hoping the CEAT distributor has a more reasonable price, else will just have to go the stock MRF way.

PS: I had no idea you had gone the RE way

Quote:
- 130/17 Vee Rubber VRM 193 - Same as above
Is it this tyre the 130/80-17 size ? A friend had used this way back in 2009, its grip was comparable to the Michelin Sirac. But it was super soft compound, wore off completely in 8K kms (of course, there was a 3.5K kms Ladakh ride thrown in between).

Last edited by praful : 5th August 2016 at 09:30.
Old 5th August 2016, 10:51   #623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Sirac I'm using is infact branded as TT, but it seals well without any issues
Very Incorrect, very dangerous

Read : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...conundrum.html

Quote:
Is it this tyre the 130/80-17 size ? A friend had used this way back in 2009, its grip was comparable to the Michelin Sirac. But it was super soft compound, wore off completely in 8K kms (of course, there was a 3.5K kms Ladakh ride thrown in between).
Yes, 130/80/17. Softer compound for better road grip, while still being competitive in the dirt. Trade off is a not so long life

One must be honest about where they will ride most of the time, which for many people is predominantly Tarmac. Going with a super hard off road option is just plain stupid in that case

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 5th August 2016 at 10:53.
Old 5th August 2016, 11:05   #624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Very Incorrect, very dangerous

Read : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...conundrum.html

Not true, it depends!! The Michelin Sirac's have strong side walls and also the beading seals well with the rim.

Having ridden over 90K kms across 5 Sirac's running as TL and throwing in all sorts of conditions at it, I think the tyre can handle it.

However, I am quite wary about doing the same with a CEAT.
Old 5th August 2016, 11:40   #625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not true, it depends!! The Michelin Sirac's have strong side walls and also the beading seals well with the rim
Not to stretch this any further but to me it's quite simple - the one who is making the tyre is telling you not to use it with without a tube. If it were actually that sturdy, the manufacturer would love to sell that as a feature; and not even have to provide that inner tube....... No?

What stops the manufacturer from doing it is because they have tested the tyres in all possible manner and have found them inadequate for tubeless type categorisation

Cheers and ride safe!
Old 5th August 2016, 12:10   #626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If it were actually that sturdy, the manufacturer would love to sell that as a feature; and not even have to provide that inner tube....... No?
I think you are going way too much by the book.

Unfortunately, its been a few years since the Sirac has been stopped globally so I cannot find the old web links which showed the relevant information on this.

IIRC it was more of a marketing/economics reasons (than actual technical reasons) for the tyre to be branded as TT than a TL.
Old 5th August 2016, 14:19   #627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think you are going way too much by the book.

IIRC it was more of a marketing/economics reasons (than actual technical reasons) for the tyre to be branded as TT than a TL.
By the book??? The word you are looking for is anal. I like to ride fast and hard, and the last thing I need on my mind is possibility of equipment failure because I thought I was smarter than the average engineer / scientist fella. More so, when the equipment in question is the one most responsible for keeping you right side up, through a contact patch the size of a coin

And not saying this in jest, but I am very keen in understanding the marketing + economic dynamics of selling what is actually a tubeless tyre; as a tube type. Should be a fascinating read

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 5th August 2016 at 14:32.
Old 5th August 2016, 15:18   #628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BShould be a fascinating read
You're welcome to dig it out over the internet.

Like I said its been a while, the relevant articles should be lying around somewhere.

To each his own, you can choose to be anal or by the book about this. I'd rather let my experience of actually using the tyre be the deciding factor for me.

Anyway, I don't think there is any value in taking this discussion further.
Old 6th August 2016, 01:00   #629
BHPian

Quote:
Was the tyre not able seal properly ? I assume there is no beading to create a "fit". The Sirac I'm using is infact branded as TT, but it seals well without any issues.
No it didn't seal properly. There was a leak between the beading and the rim.

Anyways, got a call from the customer care. They say the tyre comes in both tube and tubeless models. Guess you would be lucky getting the tubeless And at a cheaper cost from the distributor. :thumbup:

Last edited by anilupadhya : 6th August 2016 at 01:02.
Old 7th August 2016, 10:06   #630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Praful, RE does bump up tire prices substantially. They gave me a replacement Pirelli Sport Demon front tire with an MRP of Rs 11,465.
Quote:
Anyways, got a call from the customer care. They say the tyre comes in both tube and tubeless models. Guess you would be lucky getting the tubeless And at a cheaper cost from the distributor. :thumbup:

RE has added a more than substantial (almost 2.5X) markup on the tyres. Picked up mine yesterday for 2.2K. By the time this hits all the dealers, I think the prices may get bumped up by max 500/-.

Quote:
No it didn't seal properly. There was a leak between the beading and the rim.
It wont seal, CEAT has ensured these will only be used a TT. See the ribs running perpendicular to the beading in the below picture. That ensures that there is some gap left with the rim through which air will leak. So even I've installed it as TT.

Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-img_1883.jpg

Compare this with the Sirac, you will see that even this has similar ribs. But they are very very small, this is why I was able to use it as TL without any hitch through the years.

Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-img_1887.jpg

The tyre is so much lighter than the Michelin, don't know how strong the sidewalls are. And I spoke to the company folks, they don't seem to have any visibility on the TL variant if it will ever be made. IIRC you are on a 220Dtsi right? How do you find the taller gearing now?

The rim on the Himalayan is a bit wider, which leads to a slight flatter profile of the tyre. In comparison, on the narrower 220 rims it forms a more rounded profile.

Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-img_1888.jpg

PS: Not sure why Tbhp upload is rotating the pics in the wrong direction.

Last edited by praful : 7th August 2016 at 10:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks