Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2015, 10:56   #526

Re: Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!

Sagar - Thanks for the wonderful detailed comparison and as you suggested, I did change my Pulsar 180 UG3 Tyres which originally had Zapper FS for front (2.75 17'')and Zapper C for rear (100/90 17'') to MRF Nylogrip Zapper VYDE for rear (100/90 17'') and Nylogrip Zapper FY1 (80/90 17'') - The problem after mounting the front tyre is that the heavy feels tad heavy in the front when I am trying to drive straight or when I am navigating turns - Is this because of the profile (80/90 17'') since the original was 2.75 X 17'' or is it because its new and takes time to adjust. when I had replaced the front FY1 with my old tyre, its fine - so problem is not with the new REAR VYDE for sure. The heaviness in managing the bike is definitely appearing when I swap out the old one back with the FY1 tyre. It definitely is a lot more sticky so that's fine but the handlebar feels really heavy on the arms when I am driving. please advice??
Old 17th December 2015, 11:23   #527
BHPian

Hi guys,

Need help changing the tyres on my mum's hero honda pleasure. It has done about 30,000kms in 8 years. No issues with the vehicle whatsoever apart from the rear tyres that have gone bald.

Looking for a new set of tyres. Could anyone recommend a good tyre for the same and also the shop and the prices. Also do I need to change both front and rear OR just the rear is enough. The front does seem to have a bit of tread on them.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,
Aniketh
Old 17th December 2015, 15:49   #528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Looking for a new set of tyres. Could anyone recommend a good tyre for the same and also the shop and the prices. Also do I need to change both front and rear OR just the rear is enough. The front does seem to have a bit of tread on them.
You can buy either of the following tyres :

1. Ceat Secura
2. Ceat Zoom
3. MRF Nylogrip Plus

All will cost you anywhere between 1000-1500.

Although most people say it's better two replace both tyres if you're replacing them, I don't see any harm if you replace just one. If you say that the front tyre has some tread left (get it checked by a tyre repair shop guy), then it's wiser to replace both. However, if the front can last another grand or a double, just go with the rear for now.

Hope that helped!
Old 17th December 2015, 15:59   #529
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,

Need help changing the tyres on my mum's hero honda pleasure. It has done about 30,000kms in 8 years. No issues with the vehicle whatsoever apart from the rear tyres that have gone bald.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,
Aniketh
MRF zapper are the best among the lot for scooter tyres. Change both of them since 8 years would have degraded the tyres
Old 17th December 2015, 16:16   #530
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnkarthik View Post
Sagar - Thanks for the wonderful detailed comparison and as you suggested, I did change my Pulsar 180 UG3 Tyres which originally had Zapper FS for front (2.75 17'')and Zapper C for rear (100/90 17'') to MRF Nylogrip Zapper VYDE for rear (100/90 17'') and Nylogrip Zapper FY1 (80/90 17'') - The problem after mounting the front tyre is that the heavy feels tad heavy in the front when I am trying to drive straight or when I am navigating turns - Is this because of the profile (80/90 17'') since the original was 2.75 X 17'' or is it because its new and takes time to adjust. when I had replaced the front FY1 with my old tyre, its fine - so problem is not with the new REAR VYDE for sure. The heaviness in managing the bike is definitely appearing when I swap out the old one back with the FY1 tyre. It definitely is a lot more sticky so that's fine but the handlebar feels really heavy on the arms when I am driving. please advice??
Hey karthik, the heaviness will be there because of the wider profile. But it will reduce once you have run for a couple of thousand kms and the tyre has been scrubbed in. Do not worry
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 21:17   #531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
do I need to change both front and rear OR just the rear is enough. The front does seem to have a bit of tread on them.
Doctor saab:

- Its about your mom's safety
- you have doubts about the (front) tyre still holding well
- Total kharcha for utter piece of mind is less than a couple of thousand
- Its been EIGHT years!!!

Please change without further ado. Take care!
Old 20th December 2015, 16:59   #532

Hey Sagar
Thanks a lot and I agree that the bike is now feeling a lot more stable and the heaviness seems to have reduced on my arms and am feeling a lot more confident now with these new tyres - EXCELLENT suggestion and MANY THANKS once again !!
Old 30th December 2015, 22:26   #533
Senior - BHPian

Can someone please point out the differences between ceat secura sport and ceat vertigo tyres? The tread looks identical
Old 2nd January 2016, 18:21   #534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Can someone please point out the differences between ceat secura sport and ceat vertigo tyres? The tread looks identical
You can find the difference here:

http://www.ceat.com/ProductDetail.aspx?fid=1251

http://www.ceat.com/ProductDetail.aspx?fid=1405

The Vertigo sport has a hard compound and is designed for on/ off roading/ highway/ cross country while the Secura sport is for highway/ cross country rides.

Also if you observe closely, the tread pattern is slightly different.

Last edited by unk9ja : 2nd January 2016 at 18:21. Reason: Spelling corrected, Tread
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 11:25   #535
Distinguished - BHPian

A little birdie tells me that Avon tires will soon be coming in to the market priced at around the Rs 9 - 10K mark. It will be interesting to see how buyers take to the brand that may not have the highest recognition when compared to the other biggies that are available now.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 19:09   #536
Senior - BHPian

Got the Enfield some new shoes

A Ceat Secura front tyre - Size 3.25/19
Had been using a Nylogrip Zapper FY - 90/90/19
Tyre pressure - 22 psi
Kms done - 200 only

Negatives:
- Immediatly, steering the bike felt twice as heavy as before
- It takes a considerable effort to "pick the bike up" in a corner. Post the initial countersteering effort, it feels like the tyre starts to pull the bike into a corner. You need to push on the outsode bar a lot more to get the bike vertical
- I had a lowish front fender / brace that had to be hammered in shape to fit the tyre

Positives:
- The bike has definitely gained some height and now, the footpegs dont scrape as eassily as they did. I mean I still am able to scrape footpegs but I definitely have to crank her over considerably more before hard parts start grinding. Very good!!!
- Right off the bat, grip was good. I was surprised to see that the "lugs" were actually soft-ish rubber and not hard as I was expecting
- Looks great!

I am told by many that I will get used to the steering heaviness. I really hope so. I also hear that off road grip is rather respectable

I'll keep the group posted on how the tyre behaves as I log more miles

Special mention: Globe engineering - Karol Bagh

This is where I bough the tyre from, and also the rear Michelin 150 for my Duke. This person has an amazing stock of imported tyres at a very reasonable price. Truly first class. He stocks a lot of IRC, Michelin and Vee-Rubber. To give you an idea of pricing, a 110 section IRC road winner (OEM for Ninja 300) was around Rs 2500. Next time you are in KB, just head over to his shop to check out the tyre stock. The tall sardarji owner is articulate and friendly

How much did the Secura cost me?
- Total cost : Rs 1600 with tube
- Buy back of front MRF with a punctured tube : Rs 600
- Final cost : Rs 1000

Awesomeness!!
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 22:28   #537
BHPian

Expectation vs reality

For a popular motorcycle that the Pulsar 220 is, in a city that's known as the city of 2 wheelers, it's puzzling that the tyre options are so scant.

I wanted to replace my front TVS 90/90-17 which is at the tread wear limit, and the Pirelli Scorpion 120/90-17 since it's developed a few cracks, and it's tubed. The tread depth was plenty, and grip was still good, but for an upcoming trip, where tubed tyre could be a problem. So I went looking for replacements.

No Pirellis , no Continental, no Dunlop, just Michelin Pilot Sporty for front fitment, and TVS/Ceat for rear. It took a bit of searching till I got an MRF rear, which going by the plethora of MRF tyres on the MRF site, should be easily found. Nope. Far from it, the only MRF of suitable size was the Meteor - a block pattern with some off-road intent.

http://www.mrftyres.com/products/tyres/meteor

Fortunately it is tubeless, so got it fitted for a steep 2750. Ran out of time to go back to the dealer who had Michelin for the front, and from what I have been told, the Michelin Pilot Sporty is terrible in the wet. So again, not my preferred choice of rubber.

One shouldn't have to run about like a circus clown to get good tyres for a good-selling popular motorcycle. But that's the grim reality.

Last edited by Ricci : 7th January 2016 at 22:32.
Old 16th January 2016, 14:55   #538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Got the Enfield some new shoes

Negatives:
- Immediatly, steering the bike felt twice as heavy as before
- It takes a considerable effort to "pick the bike up" in a corner. Post the initial countersteering effort, it feels like the tyre starts to pull the bike into
I am told by many that I will get used to the steering heaviness. I really hope so
Completed 500 Kms on the secura. I don't know if it's because the tyre has "run in" or I've gotten used to the tyre, but the heavy feel is as good as gone. I am able to flick the bike almost in an instant to peg grinding angles. The grip whilst cornering is much better than the mrf zapper fy. Also, the braking feel and stability is leaps and bounds better than before

Lastly, I think it's the weight of the tyre but the handlebar vibrations at full throttle are much reduced. I highly recommend this tyre
Old 16th January 2016, 17:10   #539
BHPian

Hi Gents,

Looking for a tire size 110/80 for 19 inch rim for my front tire. Appreciate if anyone can suggest an outlet/manufacturer who has this within India and preferably Pune/Mumbai?

Thanks.
Old 24th January 2016, 16:55   #540
BHPian

I am willing to upgrade my Hero Honda glamour's rear tyre. The stock size is 3.00-R18. It's an alloy wheel. The current tyre is tube type.

Any idea what would be an ideal upgrade?
What specs and brand I should go for?
Should I go for tubeless type tyre or not?

Thanks
Regards
Aakarsh

Last edited by Aakarsh : 24th January 2016 at 17:00. Reason: Posted incomplete by mistake.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks