Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2013, 15:40   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoNanu View Post
Could not understand what you mentioned! Can you please elaborate on how to deduce the manufactured date? TIA!
If you check the side wall of the tyre(any tyre) , there will be 4 digits stamped on the side wall in tehe MMYY format where MM stands for the month and YY stands for the year.This is the manufacturing month and year of the tyre!

So if the tyre sidewall reads 0713, it means that the tyre was manufactured in the 7th week of 2013 or approx Februrary end of 2013
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 16:07   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
So if the tyre sidewall reads 0713, it means that the tyre was manufactured in the 7th week of 2013 or approx Februrary end of 2013
Just what I thought. But the following sentence confused me!
If it is 1012, it will be 10th week of 2012, right? But it was mentioned 12th week, guess it was typo!

Quote:
It will be written in MMYY format - 1012 -meaning the tyre was manufactured on the 12th week of 2012!
Old 25th April 2013, 16:14   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just what I thought. But the following sentence confused me!
If it is 1012, it will be 10th week of 2012, right? But it was mentioned 12th week, guess it was typo!

Oh ok! got it..My bad! Typo
Old 25th April 2013, 17:17   #199
BHPian

oh ok - got you! .. i can see the tire walls slanting out from the rim side to the contact side. Would you recommend reducing tire pressures to increase contact area/ replace rim with a wider 17inch rim (if yes which one?) / replace tyre? what are my options here?
Old 25th April 2013, 20:05   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportz_kruzer View Post
oh ok - got you! .. i can see the tire walls slanting out from the rim side to the contact side. Would you recommend reducing tire pressures to increase contact area/ replace rim with a wider 17inch rim (if yes which one?) / replace tyre? what are my options here?

Let the tyre rub in. Keep pressure of 26 to 27 psi . Run for a thousand kms. If you are still uncomfortable then you can replace the tyre.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 25th April 2013 at 20:14.
Old 26th April 2013, 08:49   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Mate,
Honda Unicorn came shod with 18 inch tires initially. The front was 2.75*18 and the rear was 100/90*18. These tires are very much available without any perceived shortage.
You can stick to MRF or if you are looking for any fancy tires, Michelin M45's must be a good fit.
Thanks mate. This helps in my purchase.

Quote:
Could not understand what you mentioned! Can you please elaborate on how to deduce the manufactured date? TIA!
Believe he was to say 10th week of 2012

Last edited by dre@ms : 26th April 2013 at 08:51.
Old 3rd May 2013, 13:55   #202
BHPian

Planning to change the tires on my Apache RTR 160(2011) to tubeless ones.
The stock size of the tires are:
Front 90/90 x 17”, Rear 100/80 x 18”
I'd like to change to a size wider on the rear ones, with better grip, especially on wet roads. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Considering Michelin for the front
And Pirelli Sport Demon 110/90 x 18" for the rear.

Alternatives welcome.
Old 3rd May 2013, 14:24   #203
BHPian

My unicorn Dazzler has currently done 35000kms.
Stock size is
Front 80/100-17 MRF Zapper FQ.
Rear 110/80-17 Zapper C

At 26000kms, i have changed the rear tyre to that of 100/80-17 (R15 rear tyre)
I am planning to change the front one also.
But unfortunately,Yamaha R15 V1 front tyre is not available anywhere in chennai.
Only V2 tyre is available i.e 90/80-17.
Is it ok to fit this 90/80-17 tyre?
or should i go for Zapper FY or FQ or conti go?
All are available in stock size.
main criteria being it should not skid under hard braking..especially in roads with slight sand..(our roads are full of the nowadays.)
Please suggest.
Old 3rd May 2013, 14:43   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye1592 View Post
Any suggestions?
EDIT: Considering Michelin for the front
And Pirelli Sport Demon 110/90 x 18" for the rear.
Both your considerations are most likely imports if you are considering tubeless as all Michelin motorcycle tyres in India are tube type (at least on the website). Have you already found a shop that stocks these sizes and brands and just looking for opinion? If so, yes PSD for the rear is a good choice and same for Michelin for front. I had an RTR160 on which the only tyre option i had for tubeless at rear was TVS Jumbo at that time & front was ContiGo.

If you have not found the shop stocking these then it will be a hard nut to crack and find these tyres due to the ISI mark rule passed by the Indian govt on all tyres. Best luck finding them!
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2013, 14:56   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
If you have not found the shop stocking these then it will be a hard nut to crack and find these tyres due to the ISI mark rule passed by the Indian govt on all tyres. Best luck finding them!
I was not aware of that. Thanks Abhinav! I've indeed found a dealer who has both the M45 and Pirelli SD tires in stock!
I'm not sure about the Pirelli SD tire because I've heard that it is a considerably heavy tire, not suitable for Apache RTR. Any other TUBELESS tires out there in 18"? Having a really tough time finding any TL type tires for 18" alloys.

Cheers.
Old 3rd May 2013, 15:06   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

If you are in Bangalore, head over to Madhus on langford road. Just yesterday i saw they have a collection of Michelin,Metzler,Pirelli tyres in 110 / 120 sizes. Didnt inquire about the price though

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 3rd May 2013 at 15:26.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2013, 15:08   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm not sure about the Pirelli SD tire because I've heard that it is a considerably heavy tire, not suitable for Apache RTR.
That was exactly the reason why I too gave it a miss. But the option provided to me was 120 section and not 110. So the 110 section tyre should be relatively lighter. Also check the tyre profile. A slightly rounded profile will suit the RTR better and help with cornering.

Quote:
Any other TUBELESS tires out there in 18"? Having a really tough time finding any TL type tires for 18" alloys.
Have you tried the MRF range. They have a certain MoGrip for motorcycles and should be available in different sizes. Dont have any personal experience though.

It is next to impossible to find the stock or the next wider section tyre size in 18inch rim what with all mfg. sticking with 17inch rims on most bikes. If you dont find anything in MRF, then sticking to M45 (an excellent tyre for the front) and PSD for the rear is a good option. Like i said if the profile is rounded then you will not fell the lag in pick up or laziness during cornering.

EDIT: @ Sagar - the clincher here is the 18 inch size of the rear wheel. If Madhus has stocked some in 18inchers too then *thumbs up* to them!

Last edited by abhinav.s : 3rd May 2013 at 15:09.
Old 3rd May 2013, 15:15   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Any other TUBELESS tires out there in 18"? Having a really tough time finding any TL type tires for 18" alloys.

Cheers.
Hey, check out on http://www.changemytyre.com/Tyres/Motorcycle
They have got a good collection, though not sure about TL.

I am exactly in your position, Apache RTR 160 (2008). I have decided to wait few more days, but need to change before this monsoon kick starts! Let me know what you decide for and which dealer have you contacted for the same.
Old 3rd May 2013, 15:20   #209
BHPian

Quote:
If you are in Bangalore, head over to Madhus on langford road. Just yesterday i saw they have a collection of Michelin,Metzler,Pirelli tyres in 110 / 120 sizes
Thank you Sagar Sir, I will definitely check it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
That was exactly the reason why I too gave it a miss. But the option provided to me was 120 section and not 110. So the 110 section tyre should be relatively lighter...........EDIT: @ Sagar - the clincher here is the 18 inch size of the rear wheel. If Madhus has stocked some in 18inchers too then *thumbs up* to them!
18" is the problem, yes! I will look into the MRF range. Thanks again Abhinav Sir. I actually have a good alternative for the front, if I don't get the M45, it'll be the Michelin Pilot Sporty. It has got good reviews and it's also a TL type tire unlike the M45 which I believe is tubed, right?

As for the rear tire, if I don't find good ones at Madhus - Langford road as Sagar sir mentioned, I guess I'll have to stick to the PSD:
Rounded profile as you mentioned, Abhinav Sir.

Cheers

Last edited by Skye1592 : 3rd May 2013 at 15:23.
Old 3rd May 2013, 15:25   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Hey, check out on http://www.changemytyre.com/Tyres/Motorcycle
They have got a good collection, though not sure about TL.

I am exactly in your position, Apache RTR 160 (2008). I have decided to wait few more days, but need to change before this monsoon kick starts! Let me know what you decide for and which dealer have you contacted for the same.
I have gone through the website, thanks! What options are you considering?
The dealer I've been in touch with, is Cherry Tire Agencies at Lalbagh. The guy says that he has both the M45 and PSD tires in stock. I'm going there in the evening to check it out, so I will definitely update you on the situation.

Cheers.
Skye1592 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks