Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2023, 14:12   #811
BHPian

Re: Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Hi Guys, I am getting a 2015 Model CBR 250 for Rs 70,000. Vehicle is 1st Owner, Company Serviced and Genuine 14,000 Kms Run. Is it a fair price or I should negotiate further?

I do have a few more questions :

1) How is the seating position on the bike, I like a relaxed seating position, currently own a Avenger 150.

2) Are there any specific issues I should check?

3) How is the stability of the bike on highways? I have owned a Duke 390 earlier and never liked its highway stability, the front of the vehicle at high speeds always felt like it was gliding over the road, in that aspect is the handling confidence inspiring?

I got a 2016 non abs, 13k run , 1st owner for around 85k one year back, i am sure i could have negotiated more.

If its a ABS model 70k is fine, 65k better, non abs max 60k.

Just like you i also switched over from a Avenger 180 which i used for 15 years.

For my 6ft height i find CBR reasonably comfortable, avenger was a bit more comfortable overall.
One main thing that i had to adjust was to get accustomed to the low position of the rear view mirror, on an avenger for me it was at eye level, on CBR i need to glance down on it momentarily taking eyes off the road.

Bike is fairly stable if you have head/tail winds, side winds will move the vehicle more due to the fairing trapping more wind, avenger overall is more stable.
Gaur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 14:05   #812
BHPian

Overheating Problem : Solutions needed

Folks

I have a peculiar overheating problem with my 2012 CBR 250R ABS. The engine temperature bars reach up to 5 bars when in traffic. Once it went up to 6. Otherwise on open Highway, the temperature remains up to 3 bars , sometimes jumping to 4.

I showed it at the A$$, the main technician checked it. The coupler and relay located near the RR Unit that controls the cooling mechanism is working fine.
The fan is working fine and switches on from time to time.
The coolant was changed in the last service about 600km back.
All fuses are fine.
The radiator is in good nick, with some bent fins which as per the head mechanic is par for the course.

What could be the possible reason? Has anybody faced a similar problem earlier?

Is the thermostat valve at fault / stuck? Can this be resolved by cleaning it?
Could the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor be faulty?

Some insights would be welcome.

Cheers !

Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-img_20221009_205113_5662.jpg
Old 2nd April 2023, 20:10   #813
Senior - BHPian

Re: Overheating Problem : Solutions needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
The engine temperature bars reach up to 5 bars when in traffic. Once it went up to 6. Otherwise on open Highway, the temperature remains up to 3 bars , sometimes jumping to 4
I've only once, very rarely seen the bar at 4. Otherwise no matter what, no matter the distance ridden, the place, the Weather, the temperature bar always, always, always stayed no more than 3.

Quote:
Is the thermostat valve at fault / stuck? Can this be resolved by cleaning it?
I'm not sure what this means; is it the fan's thermostat valve?

Quote:
Could the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor be faulty?
Possible; it's a sensor after all; no matter the motorcycle is used or not, it's now 11 years & there're good chance the sensor could've gone kaput.

Kindly keep us posted if you find a solution
aargee is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 00:06   #814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post

I'm not sure what this means; is it the fan's thermostat valve?

Kindly keep us posted if you find a solution
The thermostat valve in the cooling system of the Honda CBR 250R is like a switch that controls the flow of coolant through the engine.

When the engine is cold, the thermostat valve stays closed, and the coolant flows around the engine in a loop, bypassing the radiator. This helps the engine warm up faster.

As the engine heats up, the thermostat valve gradually opens up to allow the coolant to flow through the radiator. The radiator helps to cool down the hot coolant, which is then pumped back into the engine to absorb more heat.

The Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (ECT) which is at the back of the engine block sends signal to the instrument panel and the ECU which then decides that the fan needs to switch on. While the thermostat valve, which is a mechanical device that closes or opens based on the temperature of the coolant constantly monitors the engine temperature and adjusts the flow of coolant to maintain the optimal operating temperature. This helps to prevent the engine from overheating and ensures that it runs efficiently and smoothly.

What I surmise is that thermostat valve has somehow got stuck in the closed position. So the coolant is just going around the engine block and the stuck thermostat valve is not allowing it to go to the radiator. In the meanwhile the ECT sensor is correctly gauging the temperature to be too high and telling the ECU to switch on the radiator fan which in this case is running continuously once the temperature crosses a certain threshold.

Please feel free to correct me if my understanding of this entire operation is misplaced.

In the meanwhile I have also purchased radiator cleaner/ flush that should help dissolve any gunk, deposits or residue that may be lodged within the cooling system including the radiator and it may help in even cleaning the thermostat valve. Let's see if it works.
Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-liquimolycarradiatorflush.jpg
I have seen certain YouTube videos in which thermostat valve was taken out, cleaned and put back and the cooling system worked just fine after that. Is it possible to do so in this case? Or shall we have to change thermostat valve?

Cheers !
Ironhide is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 11:53   #815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it possible to do so in this case? Or shall we have to change thermostat valve?
Sorry, I've no idea as I've not experienced this issue nor have come across anyone's CBR showing over 3 bars until now. Like I said, the only experience of mine was 4 bars for sometime & that too it disappeared on its own.

Our hottest ride was during June 2012 (02-Jun to 08-Jun 2012) with one of the most memorable hottest ride from Jaipur at 13:00 to cross Gurgaon {back then} MSIL factory around 16:40 or so, this is literally how we felt
Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-a1.jpg

Even during this time, the temp gauge was 3/6 bars at display
aargee is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 08:46   #816
BHPian

Quote:
Folks

What could be the possible reason? Has anybody faced a similar problem earlier?
Not sure if this could be the same issue as I had faced late last year.

I too have a 2012 CBR250R ABS and faced the issue of RR unit overcharging the battery. This led to few more issues. One of which was overheating (saw more than 3 bars coolant temp for the first time in 11 years and I was heartbroken).

The RR unit was replaced and the overcharging (over voltage) was resolved.

But the overheating persisted. The problem diagnosed was that due to overcharging of battery, the radiator fan relay was damaged causing the fan to not turn on when necessary. It would turn on but not as soon as it was required. For example - if you are riding hard or riding in slow traffic, the bar should still be at 3 but that doesn't mean the fan isn't needed. The fan is still needed to make sure the temp is within the threshold regardless of the bars being at 3.
In my case it was very random. Sometimes fan would start on time and keep the bars at 3 as it should. And sometimes it wouldn't start and the bar would go to 4 or 5 and then the fan would start (or sometimes won't even start at 4/5 bars and I would have to switch off the bike and wait for 5-7 mins to let the bar come back to 3 before resuming my journey)

Anyway, conclusion for me was once the fan relay was replaced (very cheap part), the issue was resolved and the fan works perfectly fine now and have ridden a lot in traffic, bar has remained at 3 always as the fan kicks in like it used to all these years.

Since you have got most of the things checked by the mechanic, give it a try to replace the "radiator fan relay" as my mechanic did.
Ratan Prabhu is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 15:44   #817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratan Prabhu View Post
The RR unit was replaced and the overcharging (over voltage) was resolved.
This shall be explored though the battery charging seems to be fine. All the same we will still plug it up to a voltmeter and see if the RR unit is supplying more current than is required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratan Prabhu View Post
The problem diagnosed was that due to overcharging of battery, the radiator fan relay was damaged causing the fan to not turn on when necessary. It would turn on but not as soon as it was required. For example - if you are riding hard or riding in slow traffic, the bar should still be at 3 but that doesn't mean the fan isn't needed. The fan is still needed to make sure the temp is within the threshold regardless of the bars being at 3.
In my case it was very random. Sometimes fan would start on time and keep the bars at 3 as it should. And sometimes it wouldn't start and the bar would go to 4 or 5 and then the fan would start (or sometimes won't even start at 4/5 bars and I would have to switch off the bike and wait for 5-7 mins to let the bar come back to 3 before resuming my journey.

Since you have got most of the things checked by the mechanic, give it a try to replace the "radiator fan relay" as my mechanic did.
That is a line of thinking we have not explored at all - thanks for pointing us in this direction. We did not think of this because the fan always was running and it did not strike us as plausible that the relay might be bad. All the same I will have that replaced as well.

Cheers !
Old 18th May 2023, 17:58   #818
BHPian

Quote:
This shall be explored though the battery charging seems to be fine. All the same we will still plug it up to a voltmeter and see if the RR unit is supplying more current than is required.

That is a line of thinking we have not explored at all - thanks for pointing us in this direction. We did not think of this because the fan always was running and it did not strike us as plausible that the relay might be bad. All the same I will have that replaced as well.
Did you manage to get the issue fixed ? Which part was the culprit ?
Old 25th June 2023, 23:15   #819
BHPian

Sold my CBR after 3 years 8 months and ~27000 kms.

There is something about June and me parting ways with my bikes. In 2017, it was the Yamaha FZ16, my first bike and in 2023, it is my beloved CBR 250R. Honestly, until June first week, I had no plans or thoughts to sell. One night, when I was laying on my bed pondering about my life, the upgrade itch made a sudden and a very powerful appearance. I guess the decision was subconciously made then and the classifieds only appeared a week later.

Last Friday, the deal was finalized with another rider and the initial plan was to hand over the bike this weekend in Pune. Now, my bike is Pune registered but I have been working from home, in Odisha, for the last few months. Initially, the plan was to ride this weekend to Pune but some important personal work was scheduled several weeks ago so after thinking a bit, I started my ride the very next morning (last Saturday) itself. Rode from my home to Anakapalle (570 kms) on D1, Anakapalle-Hyderabad (595 kms) on D2 and Hyderabad-Pune (550 kms) on D3. Completed the payment and transfer formalities this Monday and handed over the bike with the ODO at ~35000 kms.

CBR was my introduction to big bikes and I did my first ever 500+ km day on this bike. Even though I bought it pre-owned, it'll have a special place in my heart! Sharing some pictures of my memories with this beauty.

The first weekend ride, back in 2019, with a friend who rides a R3
Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-venupuriride.jpg

Near Machkund, Koraput
Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-koraputridescrubbed.jpg

Posing at the Hirakud Dyke
Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-hirakuddyke.jpg

On my last ride with this bike, during sunrise, somewhere between Rajamundhry-Elluru
Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-lastrideatsunrise.jpg
siddhant is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 23:26   #820

[quote=Gaur;5456116]Quick update on the Vesrah ceramic rear brake pads.

Is yours the c-abs model. If yes, could send me a link to purchase the same.
Old 4th July 2023, 10:54   #821
BHPian

I wonder how you let go of a amazing bike too soon. Being a 2011 CBR250R owner I have never been in trouble with the bike even after 60,000 odd kilometres in the odo. Only Engine oil,Tyres,brake pads, chain sprocket and cable changes are only things she demanded in her whole life. She can still beat many bikes on road today. Hopefully your beloved CBR has gone to a good owner.
arunabh2424 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 11:38   #822
BHPian

[quote=gowind_sankar;5577993]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaur View Post
Quick update on the Vesrah ceramic rear brake pads.

Is yours the c-abs model. If yes, could send me a link to purchase the same.
Hi,
Mine is a Non-ABS model, got the brake pads from Torqueblock.
https://www.torqueblock.com/

They have it for the ABS version also but not sure if it fits the C-ABS one.
Connect with them and checkout, they are quite quick to reply.
Old 4th July 2023, 11:57   #823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhant View Post
Sold my CBR after 3 years 8 months and ~27000 kms.

There is something about June and me parting ways with my bikes. In 2017, it was the Yamaha FZ16, my first bike and in 2023, it is my beloved CBR 250R. Honestly, until June first week, I had no plans or thoughts to sell. One night, when I was laying on my bed pondering about my life, the upgrade itch made a sudden and a very powerful appearance. I guess the decision was subconciously made then and the classifieds only appeared a week later.

Last Friday, the deal was finalized with another rider and the initial plan was to hand over the bike this weekend in Pune. Now, my bike is Pune registered but I have been working from home, in Odisha, for the last few months. Initially, the plan was to ride this weekend to Pune but some important personal work was scheduled several weeks ago so after thinking a bit, I started my ride the very next morning (last Saturday) itself. Rode from my home to Anakapalle (570 kms) on D1, Anakapalle-Hyderabad (595 kms) on D2 and Hyderabad-Pune (550 kms) on D3. Completed the payment and transfer formalities this Monday and handed over the bike with the ODO at ~35000 kms.

CBR was my introduction to big bikes and I did my first ever 500+ km day on this bike. Even though I bought it pre-owned, it'll have a special place in my heart! Sharing some pictures of my memories with this beauty.

The first weekend ride, back in 2019, with a friend who rides a R3
Attachment 2468104

Near Machkund, Koraput
Attachment 2468102

Posing at the Hirakud Dyke
Attachment 2468101

On my last ride with this bike, during sunrise, somewhere between Rajamundhry-Elluru
Attachment 2468103

Wow, one needs a strong heart to part with this little monster!

I tried multiple times just after covid when WFH has become a norm and I've also got myself a Versys, but just not able to gather the courage to give it away. Had got an offer for 1.40L in 2021, but denied selling it.

Anyways, am planning to keep and ride it as long as possible. Now a days I simply ride with the bigger bikes with my CBR.

By the way, can you share the mounting points for the Aux lights.
iamahunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 12:21   #824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunabh2424 View Post
I wonder how you let go of a amazing bike too soon. Being a 2011 CBR250R owner I have never been in trouble with the bike even after 60,000 odd kilometres in the odo. Only Engine oil,Tyres,brake pads, chain sprocket and cable changes are only things she demanded in her whole life. She can still beat many bikes on road today. Hopefully your beloved CBR has gone to a good owner.
Yes, the bike was in perfect condition when I let it go. But, the spares situation is getting worse in general and resale value is also not very high in the pre-owned market. Back of my mind, I had plans to upgrade next year but couldn't wait anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
Wow, one needs a strong heart to part with this little monster!

I tried multiple times just after covid when WFH has become a norm and I've also got myself a Versys, but just not able to gather the courage to give it away. Had got an offer for 1.40L in 2021, but denied selling it.

Anyways, am planning to keep and ride it as long as possible. Now a days I simply ride with the bigger bikes with my CBR.

By the way, can you share the mounting points for the Aux lights.
Yes, the CBR is definitely a keeper. I would have held on to it if I could. But, mind beat my heart to it and I consoled myself saying that the bike would be better off with someone who would make the full use of it.

By the way, I have got some OEM spares with me that I had stocked before - oil filter (2 or 3), oil filter gasket (2), rear brake pad (1), air filter (1) and a throttle cable (1). If anyone needs it, please let me know.

Maddog aux light setup - this is rock steady over all kinds of roads
Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-cbrfront.jpg
Old 7th July 2023, 17:09   #825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
Wow, one needs a strong heart to part with this little monster
I've finally developed a strong heart my friend; I'm planning to either scrap it by 2026 or sell it for whatever I get. Brain has finally won over the heart

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks