Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2022, 14:37   #781
BHPian

Re: Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratan Prabhu View Post
I hope you meant Dot 5.1 and not 5.
Dot 5 is not compatible with our bikes and it will spoil the brake lines sooner or later.
It has to be either 3 or 4 or 5.1
Nothing other than these three.
Apologies, its neither DOT5 nor 5.1.
Its actually DOT4.

The master cylinder cap i guess mentions to use only DOT3 or 4.
Old 28th September 2022, 14:43   #782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratan Prabhu View Post
From this statement it is clear that it has nothing to do with the brake pads or the quality of brake fluid (Doesn't matter if it's Dot3/4/5.1).
It either means either the master cylinder has gone bad or the pistons are jammed and are not pushing the brake pads towards the disc.

Even with some air in the brake lines, the effect shouldn't be as bad as you described in the quoted post. But do make sure the rear brake fluid reservoir is air tight

Start with the easier bits and get the caliper checked for any jammed piston. If that is fine, it has to be the master cylinder (the one which sits hidden behind the right side passenger footrest assembly. It doesn't always require a replacement (can be repaired in some cases). But if it does, will cost you around 1450 for a new rear master cylinder.
Last week while replacing the brake pads to ceramic ones the mechanic did check the pistons.

They were a bit jammed but he fixed it, cleaned up the assembly, oiled the pistons pumped the brake pedal, re-applied oil on the pistons, basically repeated the process till they were moving as supposed to.

I see small improvement in the braking, not enough yet, will take out the bike for a bigger spin and see if i get a better feel.

But yes, like you said even i feel MC is the culprit here.

B.T.W it's a non-ABS 2016 model.
Old 28th September 2022, 14:51   #783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaur View Post
Last week while replacing the brake pads to ceramic ones the mechanic did check the pistons.

They were a bit jammed but he fixed it, cleaned up the assembly, oiled the pistons pumped the brake pedal, re-applied oil on the pistons, basically repeated the process till they were moving as supposed to.

I see small improvement in the braking, not enough yet, will take out the bike for a bigger spin and see if i get a better feel.

But yes, like you said even i feel MC is the culprit here.

B.T.W it's a non-ABS 2016 model.
Then I'm 90% sure it has to be the master cylinder. PS - the price I mentioned was for the C-ABS model. So probably will be cheaper for non ABS. Do still get the brake fluid reservoir checked before going for MC repair/replacement.
Old 2nd October 2022, 11:32   #784
BHPian

Folks, this is the condition of my MRF Masseters after 17k kms. As you can see, the tread at the center is almost gone. Although I haven't faced any grip issues yet, the rear felt like moving a bit sideways on unpaved roads I encountered recently. I have a long ride (mostly good highways) coming up soon and need some opinion on whether to change it now or if I can stretch it by another 2500 kms.

Also, I am not up to date on the latest tyres available on the market. Is there any option (other than the Masseters) worth considering? Michelin Pilot Street Radial is not worth the money anymore, after the import restrictions.

Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-mrfmasseters17kkms.jpg
Old 2nd October 2022, 11:43   #785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhant View Post
Folks, this is the condition of my MRF Masseters after 17k kms. As you can see, the tread at the center is almost gone. Although I haven't faced any grip issues yet, the rear felt like moving a bit sideways on unpaved roads I encountered recently. I have a long ride (mostly good highways) coming up soon and need some opinion on whether to change it now or if I can stretch it by another 2500 kms.

Also, I am not up to date on the latest tyres available on the market. Is there any option (other than the Masseters) worth considering? Michelin Pilot Street Radial is not worth the money anymore, after the import restrictions.
Front tyre looks ok. Rear also has some life left. With the monsoon almost gone, assuming you won't face rains on your trip, should be good for 2-2.5k kms. But if buying new tyres will give you peace of mind, then you should absolutely go for new one (rear tyre)

And yes, Michelin PSR 140/70 is no longer value for money with the rear tyre alone costing more than 7000 at present. If you are ok to upsize to 150/60 then Apollo Alpha H1 is a good grippy tyre which should cost you around 5,500. It has a tyre life of 15,000 only but has good wet and dry grip. MRF Revz FC is a cheaper alternative but has an average wet grip.

Last edited by Ratan Prabhu : 2nd October 2022 at 11:44.
Ratan Prabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 14:03   #786
BHPian

Quote:
I have a long ride (mostly good highways) coming up soon and need some opinion on whether to change it now or if I can stretch it by another 2500 kms.
Absolutely not. This is asking for trouble. And no rains now is not something that makes it better, a sudden brake scenario or loose gravel/sand and you have 0 grip and braking distance will be higher than usual.

P.S: Your wear indicator on the rear tyre clearly indicates it's time for a change. It's there for a purpose so better to stick to it.

When it comes to tyres, try to always be a bit pessimistic and change to a fresh set than rather pushing your luck.

As for options, Apollo H1, and TVS new tyres in the OEM sizes are all good options. Michelins like Ratan said is not VFM anymore.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 15:38   #787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, I am not up to date on the latest tyres available on the market. Is there any option (other than the Masseters) worth considering? Michelin Pilot Street Radial is not worth the money anymore, after the import restrictions
Michelin Pilot Sporty (non-radial) are best alternatives; been using them for over 2 years now & have no complaints. Not sure how easy or difficult to find them as it's over 2 years since I've fit them & not sure on the present market conditions. If you're able to get it, that will be a good fit for your C250R
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 17:51   #788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Michelin Pilot Sporty (non-radial) are best alternatives; been using them for over 2 years now & have no complaints. Not sure how easy or difficult to find them as it's over 2 years since I've fit them & not sure on the present market conditions. If you're able to get it, that will be a good fit for your C250R
I have never been able to justify Michelins over MRF for the grip they offer vs Price. Especially over gravels and wet surfaces the Michelins are significantly bad. I have had a bad experience with the Michelin street radials. IMHO the MRF Revz radials are better than the Michelin Street radials. The Apollo Alpha H1 are the best i have experienced so far. I heard good reviews about the Protorq tyres from TVS but haven't had a chance to try them.

I always had 150/60 in the rear of my CBR 250R because of the lack of options for 140/70 radials by then.
Old 6th October 2022, 09:31   #789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sman999 View Post
I have never been able to justify Michelins over MRF for the grip they offer vs Price
To each his own; in my experience from stock 1. Conti to 2. Dunlop to 3. MRF to 2 X Michelin Radial to 6. Michelin non radial, I've found Michelin has better grip + an assured life of over 18K Km (~22K+ if ridden well). The problem with MRF is that, the tire never shows a symptom of wear & tear with clear visible tread, infact I've used MRF for over 24K or more, but it takes an incident to show the tires have actually worn out. Maybe it's because I had the first set stock size radial tires from MRF on my CBR then; maybe MRF would've progressed by now & I haven't bothered to switch to MRF except for second set of MRF on front.

Like I said - to each his own

Quote:
I always had 150/60 in the rear of my CBR 250R because of the lack of options for 140/70 radials by then.
Since when? The lack of 140/70 was during Sep/Oct 2011 where we struggled for stock sprocket & tires. Since then it was no issues at all; perhaps we're privileged living in a metro or may be we knew whom & where to tap. But for sure, we haven't seen a shortage for 140/70 17 until my last purchase on 20-Mar-2021 except that radial tires weren't available.

Last edited by aargee : 6th October 2022 at 09:36.
Old 6th October 2022, 09:38   #790
BHPian

Quote:

Since when? The lack of 140/70 was during Sep/Oct 2011 where we struggled for stock sprocket & tires. Since then it was no issues at all; perhaps we're privileged living in a metro or may be we knew whom & where to tap. But for sure, we haven't seen a shortage for 140/70 17 until my last purchase on 20-Mar-2021 except that radial tires weren't available.
"except that radial tires weren't available" yes, radials!

I was looking for radials and none were available for 140/70 17. Not sure about these days. Btb regarding the MRF I agree with the non radials, but the MRF radial Revz C1 has improved a lot.
Sman999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 09:43   #791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Btb regarding the MRF I agree with the non radials, but the MRF radial Revz C1 has improved a lot.
MRF RevZ S 140/70 17 is radial, my experience I shared above is on the same.
MRF RevZ C1 is 150/70 17 is NON STOCK size, I've no experience with after market upgrades as I'm a stock lover.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 14:08   #792
BHPian

I'm going with the MRF Masseters again. They are available in stock size, offer good grip in both dry and wet conditions and in general, have served me well over all kinds of roads.

During covid, from Mar-Oct 2020, my bike was just parked at one spot because I was at my hometown and I was afraid that the tyres would develop a flat spot from just being parked there & being exposed to the summer and monsoons without anyone to attend to. But, nothing of the sort happened.

Cost = Rs 6600 / 18000 km = Rs 0.37 per km is quite good for what it offers.
Old 10th October 2022, 12:24   #793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cost = Rs 6600 / 18000 km = Rs 0.37 per km is quite good for what it offers.
I'm sure you know, but still for the benefit of wider audience - tires also contribute towards SAFETY, for which no monetary value can be associated.
Old 10th October 2022, 12:49   #794
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm sure you know, but still for the benefit of wider audience - tires also contribute towards SAFETY, for which no monetary value can be associated.
Masseters are excellent tyres. They offer very good grip for the power put of sub 300CC bikes. Soft compound, grippy in wet and dry. I have them on my humble Pulsar 180 UG3 at front and rear and can vouch for them. Very underrated tyres.
Old 10th October 2022, 12:55   #795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Masseters are excellent tyres. They offer very good grip for the power put of sub 300CC bikes. Soft compound, grippy in wet and dry. I have them on my humble Pulsar 180 UG3 at front and rear and can vouch for them. Very underrated tyres.
I should've perhaps made a statement stating, not intended for the specific tire or brand, but tires as general.

Point is - Tires, no matter the brand (Michelin, MRF, Yoko, Ceat, Bridgestone, Ralson or Pirelli), life of a tire is second to the safety it offers & needs to be looked beyond cost per Km basis.

Having said that, I will try MRF Masseters 140/70 17 next on my aging C250R

Most Viewed