Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2022, 08:33   #691
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratan Prabhu View Post
So what I'm saying is, the bike starts giving problems after 10 yrs regardless of the running being low or high. (From my experience)
Really

I've seen both the sides of spectrum; 3rdd day to 12th year; seizure on 3rd day at 1156 & a general service on 12th year at 138593

If proactive maintenance is carried out then the ownership cost as well as ownership experience are pleasing.

Last edited by aargee : 30th March 2022 at 08:35.
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 09:04   #692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Really

I've seen both the sides of spectrum; 3rdd day to 12th year; seizure on 3rd day at 1156 & a general service on 12th year at 138593

If proactive maintenance is carried out then the ownership cost as well as ownership experience are pleasing.
Hi RG, yes there are exceptions. Engine seizure in the first year is very rare. But glad to know you facing no issue even in the 12th year.

I've treated my bike like part of the family. But certain things like hardening of seals is a process which would happen with time in most cases. Just for example, my bikes weep hole leak had nothing to do with not taking proactive care but just normal wear and tear of the oil seal as it had been almost 10 years. Costed me over 4k to replace the clutch cover. This was the first major expense/over haul I've had in these 10 years. Touchwood.

Conclusion : it's a Honda bike and will last longer than the owner if taken care of. However, as years fly, the frequency of replacing parts will be more. Hence, suggested to search for a CBR maybe not older than say 6 years. But if the 11 year old CBR feels good and ASC gives a thumbs up, why not.
Old 7th April 2022, 13:31   #693
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Siddhant, yes I've seen thay video and it is what lead me to think I should try it if I get any positive feedback from actual users on the CBR.

Please do share your review on both; the braking performance using 5.1 and also the RK Japan kit.

Eager to know the benefits from an actual user.
I just recently did a 1450 km trip in 3 days (440 km + 700 km + 310 km) from my place in Odisha to Pune in this sweltering heat. On 1st and 2nd day, I rode at 43-45 deg C and came out pretty impressed with the DOT 5.1 braking performance. Usually with rise in temperatures and continuous riding, the feel of brakes (with DOT 4 fluid) worsens slightly due to increased heat. With DOT 5.1 (I used Liqui Moly), I felt no such thing. I also felt the overall braking force has reduced a bit when compared to DOT 4.

The RK Takasago chain also works quite well and looks very nice when cleaned. My bike reached speeds it hadn't reached before and I think it must be the chain.

Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-resized720.jpg

A pic from the ride somewhere on the Nagpur-Amravati stretch around noon. Sugarcane juice stalls like these were a savior in the Vidarbh region's extreme dry heat.
siddhant is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 14:00   #694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhant View Post
Usually with rise in temperatures and continuous riding, the feel of brakes (with DOT 4 fluid) worsens slightly due to increased heat. With DOT 5.1 (I used Liqui Moly), I felt no such thing. I also felt the overall braking force has reduced a bit when compared to DOT 4.

The RK Takasago chain also works quite well and looks very nice when cleaned. My bike reached speeds it hadn't reached before and I think it must be the chain.
Thanks Sid.

When you say the braking force has reduced a bit; you mean the bite was better on DOT4 or you need to apply less force for the same amount of braking ?

Regarding the RK Takasago chain kit, how was the chain noise compared to stock ? Because after all, the teeth and everything is same as stock so there won't be a significant increase in acceleration but from what I've read, they are very silent and long lasting even without too much care as compared to stock one.
Old 7th April 2022, 14:32   #695
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sid.

When you say the braking force has reduced a bit; you mean the bite was better on DOT4 or you need to apply less force for the same amount of braking ?
Braking force reduced = less physical input required for the same braking performance when compared to DOT4. Bite is the same but overall feel definitely improved.

Quote:
Regarding the RK Takasago chain kit, how was the chain noise compared to stock ? Because after all, the teeth and everything is same as stock so there won't be a significant increase in acceleration but from what I've read, they are very silent and long lasting even without too much care as compared to stock one.
Yes, acceleration wise, there isn't any difference. But, I registered a new top speed with this chain. The RK chain supposedly has lower friction so it's smoother and makes less noise. I have already ridden over 2000 kms and chain slack doesn't seem to have changed at all.
siddhant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2022, 17:41   #696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhant View Post

The RK Takasago chain also works quite well and looks very nice when cleaned. My bike reached speeds it hadn't reached before
Hi Siddhant, can you please share the costs involved and where did you source it from? If possible a few photos too please. Thanks.
Old 10th April 2022, 17:53   #697
BHPian

Hi everyone,

I am facing a handle wobbling issue. At highway speeds of around 50-60 kmph, if I leave my hands (on open roads and with gears) the handle wobbles quite considerably, not violently, but not too mildly to ignore.

So both the tyres have been changed to Michelin Pilot Street 2 at the front, the wobble was present. The handle bar had started vibrating too, and on doing Mumbai Pune wearing gloves, my hands go numb by the end of the trip. In city without gloves too there is a tingling sensation even for 5-10 KMs ride abouts.

So today, I changed both the conesets (₹1200 for both sets + ₹400 labour) as the mechanic said it has some scoring marks and I thought cone set is another dominant reason for wobbling and vibrations at the handle.

Even after changing, no luck, everything is as it is. Vibrations have mellowed down quite a bit I think, need to observe for another week to confirm.

But the wobbling is present, and even jerks are felt during braking and also when riding over rumble strips for example.

Attaching few photos below.

Please suggest the next course of action.

Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-img_20220410_131526.jpg

Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-img_20220410_131534.jpg

Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-img_20220410_132054.jpg

Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-img_20220410_132057.jpg

Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-img_20220410_132137.jpg
Old 10th April 2022, 18:21   #698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManasN95 View Post
Hi Siddhant, can you please share the costs involved and where did you source it from? If possible a few photos too please. Thanks.
Got the chain sprocket kit from lrlmotors.com where total cost was Rs 2900 (incl shipping) + Rs 450 (labour charge for installation). 7aftermarket.com is also selling this.

Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-img_20220121_180019.jpg

Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-img_20220121_180042.jpg

According to some online websites, the X-ring based chains last twice as long as the O-ring chains and have better performance. Considering that the RK Takasago chain kit was retailing at just Rs 2800, it would eventually prove cheaper than the regular Rolon chain and I wouldn't have to worry for the next 30000 kms at least.

Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-img_20220121_180147.jpg
siddhant is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th April 2022, 19:09   #699
BHPian

Quote:

I am facing a handle wobbling issue.

So today, I changed both the conesets (₹1200 for both sets + ₹400 labour) as the mechanic said it has some scoring marks and I thought cone set is another dominant reason for wobbling and vibrations at the handle.

Even after changing, no luck, everything is as it is. Vibrations have mellowed down quite a bit I think, need to observe for another week to confirm.
Greetings to you,
1. The cone set for top ball race, size of balls small
cone set for bottom ball race, size of balls large
Grease grade for cone set should be "thready" should not turn dry or melt.
The visible rust is signs of malfunction and pressure washing the front stem.
2. Under the front mudguard is a U shape Brace.
This is for equalizing top to down or down to top suspension damping.
Twisting of fork legs.
3. Inspect the inner working of the front suspension.
If the hydraulic oil is oxidised(old), dark change the oil, equal qty refill prime and close the top nut. No need to open the down allen key nut.
Measure both fork springs length, on flat table.

Get this done by some professional.
The above handle bar shake could escalate to tank slapping.
Even at safe speeds this sudden loss of control could lead to ...
I don't have to spell this out.

Best regards to all.
Old 10th April 2022, 19:10   #700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But the wobbling is present, and even jerks are felt during braking and also when riding over rumble strips for example.

Please suggest the next course of action.
Pls show us some closeup & long shots of both front & rear tires. Also share the picture of manufacturing date from the tire pls. Tks
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 08:16   #701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joednazareth View Post
Greetings to you,

I don't have to spell this out.

Best regards to all.
Quote:
Tks
Hi Joe,

I have changed both the bearing sets, and the fork oil was changed during last service too, to Motul Heavy.

What else can I check?

Aargee Sir, attaching the photos below. Please have a look.

The tires are manufactured in 36th and 37th month of 2021 respectively.

Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-img_20220411_074506.jpg

Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-img_20220411_074501.jpg

Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-img_20220411_074528.jpg

Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-img_20220411_074536.jpg

Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-img_20220411_074626.jpg

Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-img_20220411_074657.jpg

Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-img_20220411_074825.jpg

Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-img_20220411_074814.jpg
ManasN95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 12:17   #702
BHPian

Quote:
I have changed both the bearing sets, and the fork oil was changed during last service too, to Motul Heavy.

What else can I check?
Hi! Manas,
Greetings to you.

1. Install heavy duty - Black 39mm Fork Brace. You can install this without dismantling anything on the front forks.
2. Check all fasteners on top of the triple tree and under the triple tree (handle bar fasteners) for tightness , check yoke nut / check nut for play which is normal after the service of front steering bearings/ball race.
3. Front tyre center line with rear tyre alignment check.
4. When did this front handle bar wobble get noticed. What did you add, remove, adjust or give your bike for service before this issue.

Best regards to all.
joednazareth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 12:25   #703
BHPian

Quote:

What else can I check?
Hi! Manas,
Greetings to you.

1. Install heavy duty - Black 39mm Fork Brace. You can install this without dismantling anything on the front forks.
2. Check all fasteners on top of the triple tree and under the triple tree (handle bar fasteners) for tightness , check yoke nut / check nut for play which is normal after the service of front steering bearings/ball race.
3. Front tyre center line with rear tyre alignment check.
4. When did this front handle bar wobble get noticed. What did you add, remove, adjust or give your bike for service before this issue.

Best regards to all.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-front-fork-inward-mount-cbr-250r.jpg  

Last edited by joednazareth : 11th April 2022 at 12:48.
Old 11th April 2022, 15:51   #704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The tires are manufactured in 36th and 37th month of 2021 respectively
I'll take it as 36th & 37th week pls.

Tires looks good, I've the same set of front tires now & I'm positive they're good & don't expect defective manufacturing.

Try to deflate the front tire completely & inflate once again & see if it addresses the wobble. If it isn't troublesome experiment, try switching back to OE fork oils & see if there're any differences pls.

Next things I can think off are for bent alloy wheels, worn out wheel bearings. If you were in Chennai, I can assure to fix this by troubleshooting the issue because Didar does a phenomenal job in such things.

For how long is this wobbling going on? If its like for over 5K Km, then if you're able to dismantle & show us the brake pads, that might leave us some clues.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 18:17   #705
BHPian

Quote:
I'll take it as 36th & 37th week pls.

For how long is this wobbling going on? If its like for over 5K Km, then if you're able to dismantle & show us the brake pads, that might leave us some clues.
Yeah, weeks

This wobbling has been going on since 3-4000 KMs. During that, I have sold her, she got serviced too, in which the cone set was adjusted as per the invoice, and I happened to purchase her again. Story for some other day.

Oh and yes, during her exile from me, she dropped from standstill to the RHS. But I'm pretty sure the wobbling issue has been going on even before I sold her.
ManasN95 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks