Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2021, 09:26   #646
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratan Prabhu View Post
The vibrations aren't too harsh but off lately harsh enough to make my hands go numb after riding 30 mins. I don't death grip the handle but still causing this issue
Welcome to the CBR numbing hand club

I've been having this issue for last over few years (my left pinky finger going numb or having a tingling sensation); I don't know the exact cause because I felt the same sooner with GT650 as well & primarily attribute it to improper riding posture for now. But then if you ask me why this hasn't been an issue in 2011? Sorry, I've no answer either.

Anyway, use a very good pair of riding gloves; I mean a real good pair; get an imported one & that should take care for few hundred Km. I'm not saying the numbness will be eradicated completely, but, the sensation will get prolonged & may not peak. For instance, I rode for over 1600 Km in 2 days but the sensation stayed during the day & disappeared next day after a sleep. Fortunately, I haven't experienced this for short 20 Km which is what I've tested riding without gloves so far.

Quote:
The mechanic says these level of vibrations are normal for CBR and apparently no issue with valve clearance either (he said as long as there is no big ticking or knocking sound, there isn't a need to check the shims or valve clearance).
He's right
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 09:32   #647
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Welcome to the CBR numbing hand club

But then if you ask me why this hasn't been an issue in 2011? Sorry, I've no answer either.
Your body changes and is a dynamic machine. Year to year. Even within a year.

2011 is a decade ago. In fitness and flexibility and core strength terms, even 6 months is a lifetime.

Numb hands are more often than not related to your ass. And the structures surrounding and supporting and supported.

Gloves have little/nothing to do with it ...

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 11:54   #648
BHPian

I tried an modification to the handlebar using the Apache split-on based on a previous post in this thread. This was in the plan for a long time and finally got the time to get it done. After the update, the riding posture is very upright and the subsequent improvement in ergonomics is enormous.

I have attached picture of the modification and glad to retain the OEM look.
Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-cbr_handlebarpic_02.jpg

Apart from the improvement in comfortability, the major advantage is the addition of space in handlebar for switches. In the stock setup, there is no space to mount switches for aux lights / hazard etc. As the Apache handlebar is long, there is enough space for 2/3 additional switches.

Took a bike for a 50km ride to assess the effectiveness and observed that the handlebar vibrations were significantly lesser than stock. This could be because of the increased weight in apache handlebar, the new rubber grips on handlebar or could even be just a placebo effect. A longer ride should provide a better assessment.

The major compromise is that the windshield needs to be chopped along the sides at the top to allow for the handlebar movement. The chopping is required along the width and the length of the windshield has not changed .
Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-cbr_windshieldpic_01.jpg

The modification is a not a straightforward swap due to the ingenious design from Honda. In most of the motorcycles, there will be two bolts to fasten the split-on to the forks. One Allen bolt will hold the handlebar along Z direction and the other will arrest the slipping/slipping about the fork axis.
Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-cbr_handlebarpic_03.jpg

However, in CBR ,there will be only one and the rotation about fork axis is arrested using a stopper in the casting design. The two lobes acts marked in the image as the stopper in the stock setup. So, we need to drill two additional holes in the handlebar support bracket and the holes position is critical as it aligns correctly the left and right handlebar and got it done in a lathe .

Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-cbr_handlebarpic_04a.jpg

Things needs
1. Apache 200 handle bar ( LH & RH)
2. Karizma ZMR Clutch Cable ==> The stock one can be used but since the Karizma cable was a bit longer , it offers better routing .

This was not a DIY for me and got it done with the help of a mechanic.

Last edited by Doo_Dev : 30th December 2021 at 11:56.
Doo_Dev is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 19:34   #649
BHPian

Thanks aargee and dev.
I guess I will live with it as i have for the last 10 years.
The thing is whenever I hear people say the CBR250R is "butter smooth", I get kind of triggered and over think whether I am the only one to not get a "butter smooth" CBR ?

PS - has anyone here used Dot 5.1 brake fluid on their CBR250R ? (I've seen videos stating the difference is very much noticable and reviews are highly positive). But then again, I don't know how much to trust YouTube videos. So wanted to check with actual owners for any experience. As my office won't start until atleast 3 more months and so, WFH has reduced the bike usage quite a lot, I'm just thinking to experiment with some small upgrades if bike can be any better than it already is without spending too much.
Old 11th January 2022, 20:04   #650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The thing is whenever I hear people say the CBR250R is "butter smooth", I get kind of triggered and over think whether I am the only one to not get a "butter smooth" CBR ?
Ride Interceptor once & then ride C250R, trust me boss, it's really smooth But yes, not butter smooth as Unicorn for sure.

Quote:
has anyone here used Dot 5.1 brake fluid on their CBR250R...it already is without spending too much.
Do you've ABS or STD model? If you're having a STD model, then simply switch to Nissin master cylinder; 101% sure, you'll be more than satisfied & the STD braking is as good as ABS but for the ABS kicking in. Only thing is you'll have to ensure the job gets done to perfection like air bleeding & DOT 4.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 20:09   #651
BHPian

Quote:
Ride Interceptor once & then ride C250R, trust me boss, it's really smooth But yes, not butter smooth as Unicorn for sure.

Do you've ABS or STD model? If you're having a STD model, then simply switch to Nissin master cylinder; 101% sure, you'll be more than satisfied & the STD braking is as good as ABS but for the ABS kicking in. Only thing is you'll have to ensure the job gets done to perfection like air bleeding & DOT 4.
Which Nissin cylinder are you referring to ? Is this the one that comes with ABS version ?

The high boiling point conditions in DOT 5.1 are typically required for racing and would be an overkill when the usage is primarily City /Highway touring.

Last edited by Doo_Dev : 11th January 2022 at 20:18.
Old 11th January 2022, 20:28   #652
BHPian

Quote:
Do you've ABS or STD model?
It's a C-ABS model. Oct 2011 manufactured.
No complaints with the braking. Was just wondering if indeed 5.1 will give even better bite or is it just gimmick.
Old 11th January 2022, 20:30   #653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doo_Dev View Post
The high boiling point conditions in DOT 5.1 are typically required for racing and would be an overkill
But isn't there any other difference than the boiling points ?
Ratan Prabhu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 20:35   #654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doo_Dev View Post
Which Nissin cylinder are you referring to ? Is this the one that comes with ABS version ?

The high boiling point conditions in DOT 5.1 are typically required for racing and would be an overkill when the usage is primarily City /Highway touring.
Shumi talks about DOT 5.1 brake fluid and says that it's a factor in getting outstanding braking performance.
Is it costly? Yes, by about Rs 250 over an equivalent DOT 4 fluid. But, high boiling point should also mean better braking performance for as long as one uses the brake fluid, irrespective of usage (city or highway).

I'll get my CBR serviced in the next two weeks and the DOT 5.1 brake fluid is one of the upgrades I have planned since my usage is mostly touring. I will also replace my stock chain sprocket with a RK Takasago chain sprocket. The stock one lasted 20k kms. I'm hoping the RK Takasago chain sprocket will last 30-33k kms.
siddhant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 21:18   #655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhant View Post
Shumi talks about DOT 5.1 brake fluid and says that it's a factor in getting outstanding braking performance.

I'll get my CBR serviced in the next two weeks and the DOT 5.1 brake fluid is one of the upgrades I have planned since my usage is mostly touring.

I will also replace my stock chain sprocket with RK Takasago chain sprocket
Hey Siddhant, yes I've seen thay video and it is what lead me to think I should try it if I get any positive feedback from actual users on the CBR.

Please do share your review on both; the braking performance using 5.1 and also the RK Japan kit.

Eager to know the benefits from an actual user.
Old 12th January 2022, 10:19   #656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
it is what lead me to think I should try it if I get any positive feedback from actual users on the CBR
Personally I will stay off because, the caution on the master cylinder cap says:
Name:  mc.jpg
Views: 1285
Size:  81.0 KB

And I haven't experienced any issues with braking even with riding for nearly 37 hours. Only once the rear brake pads were jammed when riding inside city which was resolved by greasing the rear caliper pins.

Last edited by aargee : 12th January 2022 at 10:21.
Old 12th January 2022, 10:34   #657
BHPian

Quote:
Personally I will stay off because, the caution on the master cylinder cap.
Yes I've seen that. But the thing is Dot5.1 is compatible with Dot3 and 4 unlike Dot5 which is totally different and can't be put in our bike.

So the logic behind trying dot5.1 is similar to how most of us go for full synthetic 10w40 when Honda recommends 10w30 with the reason being shellAU/motul7100 are compatible with the engine and also better engineering goes into making those than the Honda throttle 10w30.

But yes, I will wait for some user reviews before jumping to conclusion just like I did before switching to Shell AU after seeing most of you recommending it. And so far, happy with the decision.
Ratan Prabhu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 13:54   #658
BHPian

I think 2021 and 2022 will go down as the years with most issues I've faced in my CBR250R.

Since a week I have been noticing a small puddle (maybe 10 drops) just behind the side stand. From touch and feel, it is the coolant (I'm using motocool which is not as green as the stock Honda coolant. So identifying requires touch and feel as my engine oil also looks similar yellowish when on the floor).

It*only leaks after the bike is parked for few hours after a ride. Basically when I park the bike after riding, there is no puddle for the next 1 hour. But when I come to the bike the next morning, there is this puddle. See pic below. Should I worry ?

There*is no heating issue, radiator fan works fine as usual whenever I'm in traffic or if I ride 7k + RPM for quite long. And the coolant temp bar never crossed 3 bars.

I tried my best to look for the source of the leak but I am clueless as none of the area above the puddle is wet.

Coolant replacement last done on 20th October 2021. Didn't have this issue for almost 3 months but only since a week.

​​​​​​​Any help appreciated. Posted on other forum too just to have more opinions.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-img20220119wa0004.jpg  

Old 25th January 2022, 13:56   #659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The vibrations aren't too harsh but off lately harsh enough to make my hands go numb after riding 30 mins. I don't death grip the handle but still causing this issue.
I have this hand numbing issue after riding 20-30mins, but in my case it isn't anything specific to the CBR (tried other commuter bikes/scooters and have it with them too after 20kms or so). Something to do with me I guess.

BTW, has anyone fixed a main-stand to the CBR ? I would like to get one fitted and wanted to know any cons (I don't do corner carving or such stunts, so the stand scraping the tarmac isn't an issue for me).
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 16:08   #660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I have this hand numbing issue after riding 20-30mins, but in my case it isn't anything specific to the CBR (tried other commuter bikes/scooters and have it with them too after 20kms or so). Something to do with me I guess
US; please count me in your hand numbing club; I thought it was forward leaning posture on CBR & GT650, but I had a very mild numb from our recent trip on Interceptor.

I can only attribute that with the age

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks