Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2021, 12:31   #601
BANNED

Re: Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions

Hey guys faced an issue with the CBR250R where she started up fine and idled steadily for a while before dying out on me.

Tried several times but she wouldn't fire up, just keep lazily cranking.

So couple of days ago got to troubleshooting the issue;

1. Hooked her up to the car's battery and she fired up just fine. But as you can see the volts drop when I give her some gas. In simple terms the battery isn't getting charged.

Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-img20210910134801.jpg

2. Took apart a lot of panels and the fuel tank in order to disconnect the stator connector, yes, that one connector. (This is why I hate these modern machines, you need to hire elves to access these nooks and crannies)

3. Stator passed continuity and shorting tests, also showed around 20V AC Between all poles, I don't have the service manual with me but commonsensically that's good enough.

Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-img20210910135448.jpg

4. This is usually when the RR unit is blamed and replaced but out of curiosity mounted the RR on the side panel mount just for testing, cause factory mount is again a PITA to access.

Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-img20210910141623.jpg

5. RR Unit is working fine as well, again no service manual with me but she is maintaining around 14V DC at idle.

Conclusion: The issue faced was due to a bad ground, cleaned up the stock RR mount and reinstalled and she was working fine, didn't have enough time but next time around I'd be installing a direct ground from the RR to the Battery (-) as a safety net since Honda's are infamous for grounding issues on both their cars and motorcycles.

Fin.

Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-img20210910151459.jpg

Videos you can find in the below link.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00003346894330

Sorry for the copy paste post, did a weekend drive with the Alto and the charger shorted my X3, the immediate replacement I could find at a nearby store was from a company called Itel, so editing and uploading videos or even replying to long posts is out of the question until the replacment arrives.

Regards,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 12:47   #602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
But as you can see the volts drop when I give her some gas. In simple terms the battery isn't getting charged
Bad fuel is another reason, if the battery is still good. Some of our folks are using an ultra strong grounding for last few years, so I wouldn't know about that. We learnt the necessity for strong grounding when troubleshooting on a battery issue, since then, the word has been around.
Old 13th September 2021, 17:53   #603
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys faced an issue with the CBR250R where she started up fine and idled steadily for a while before dying out on me.

A.P.

Hello Ashwin, I have the complete service manual with me. However, it's quite a big file. I'll be sharing the drive link here on this thread.
I might upload the owner's manual and the original Parts catalogue for the bike too.
It'll prove helpful to you and other owners also.

Last edited by Eddy : 13th September 2021 at 18:13. Reason: Quoting a long post hampers readability
saitvsk23 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 15:09   #604
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by saitvsk23 View Post
Hello Ashwin, I have the complete service manual with me. However, it's quite a big file. I'll be sharing the drive link here on this thread.
I might upload the owner's manual and the original Parts catalogue for the bike too.
It'll prove helpful to you and other owners also.
Thank you! That would be very helpful.

I have been on the lookout for the Hanes manual for the motorcycle, kindly do share leads on the same if you know.

Regards,
Ashwin Prakash.
Old 14th September 2021, 18:43   #605
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you! That would be very helpful.

I have been on the lookout for the Hanes manual for the motorcycle, kindly do share leads on the same if you know.

Regards,
Ashwin Prakash.
Here you go!
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Lm?usp=sharing

I couldn't find the Haynes manual PDF though, I'll keep hunting for it.
saitvsk23 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 10:06   #606
BHPian

Dear Team,

While searching for a pre-owned bike, I stumbled across this CBR.It is 2012 model with 13000(too less ?) kms on the ODO.I am yet to inspect this bike in person.

My usage is very minimal which mostly includes commute to work (< 20kms a day , 2/3 days in a week)and running errands.Hence I am reluctant to plonk huge money into a new bike and is still on the fence for buting a new Apache RTR2004V.

Coming back to the CBR, need some advice:
  • Is 2012 too vintage a bike to maintain ?
  • I reside in a rural area in U.P. How hard should I anticipate maintaining this bike would be ?
  • Though it looks good in pictures (seems bathed in polish) , what areas should I keenly inspect to avoid a lemon ?
  • And what would be a fair price for a bike of this age and mileage.
Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

maheshm619 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 14:27   #607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshm619 View Post
Is 2012 too vintage a bike to maintain ?
Ideally I should be ignoring this post for calling a 2012 Sports motorcycle as vintage!! Anyway, the expenses for maintaining this motorcycle with a running cost of 20 Km for 3 days a week for a year should cost like 15K a year excluding the cost of insurance

Quote:
I reside in a rural area in U.P. How hard should I anticipate maintaining this bike would be ?
As stated above

Quote:
Though it looks good in pictures (seems bathed in polish) , what areas should I keenly inspect to avoid a lemon
Take to ASC & see the service records; HMSI tracks the service record of CBR250R atleast

Quote:
And what would be a fair price for a bike of this age and mileage
Visit the bike in person, check the service records from ASC, ask the owner how much he/she expects & then come back & then take a call
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 17:21   #608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Ideally I should be ignoring this post for calling a 2012 Sports motorcycle as vintage!!
Apologies for the poor choice of words. What I meant to ask is, whether the bike of this age would require any major overhaul ( as per maintenance interval/ age).
Old 25th September 2021, 19:00   #609
BHPian

Motorcycles are meant to be ridden, 13k in close to ten years is very less mileage for a bike. This makes me suspicious on the authenticity of the mileage reported.

Since you are in a rural area and are intending to use it fairly regularly I would recommend you to find a newer example if available. If this is not at all possible and you are keen on this one please proceed with due diligence and get it checked with the ASC as mentioned by aargee.

And regarding the parts to be replaced and the maintenance schedule there is a manual attached in the very first post on this thread. It would be prudent to go through this.
skarface is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 20:16   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Team,

While searching for a pre-owned bike, I stumbled across this CBR.It is 2012 model with 13000(too less ?) kms on the ODO.I am yet to inspect this bike in person.

My usage is very minimal which mostly includes commute to work (< 20kms a day , 2/3 days in a week)and running errands.Hence I am reluctant to plonk huge money into a new bike and is still on the fence for buting a new Apache RTR2004V.

Coming back to the CBR, need some advice:
  • Is 2012 too vintage a bike to maintain ?
  • I reside in a rural area in U.P. How hard should I anticipate maintaining this bike would be ?
  • Though it looks good in pictures (seems bathed in polish) , what areas should I keenly inspect to avoid a lemon ?
  • And what would be a fair price for a bike of this age and mileage.
Thanks in advance.
Everything depends on a test ride.
Let it be broken/cracked/aging fairings, or a shim replacement job pending, please take a test ride. By the time you ride it,, you'll understand whether the odo reading is legitimate or not. As discussed before, a physical insection helps.

[ Pro Tip : If there's a ticking noise from the engine area along with the idlin sound, its a pending shim replacement. A Honda ASC would quote an arm and a leg for that job. Get an experienced FNG to get it done.]
saitvsk23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 10:46   #611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saitvsk23 View Post
A Honda ASC would quote an arm and a leg for that job
No way!!
at 133677, not because the bike needed, but I felt it will be a refreshing change, so replaced air filter, front & rear brake pads, chain sprocket, coolant, engine oil, engine oil & fuel filters, front fenner, rear fenner, both seats, mirrors, all cables including the one comes underneath the seat, all put together costed 12K

If the shim job is done properly, I mean PROPERLY, it should not cost more than 4-5K for all 4 of them including labor (this is 2015 price). I got done mine at 96648 & right now I'm at 136000. Say the shim was due replacement some 4-5K Km ago because the tappet noise is intermittently audible. That's Rs 5K for 39412 Km which works to Rs 0.12 per Km

Quote:
whether the bike of this age would require any major overhaul ( as per maintenance interval/ age).
Like I said, visit the bike in person, check the service records from ASC, hear out the engine at idle & operational temperature (3 bars) & there should be no additional noise.

If you're not confident to check it all by yourself, talk to a CBR mechanic at HMSI (and pay him if necessary), take the bike to them & go with their opinion.

Last edited by Aditya : 27th September 2021 at 19:36. Reason: As requested
aargee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 17:46   #612
BHPian

Hi guys. 2 days ago, while I was riding, the ABS light on my bike started blinking. See video - https://photos.app.goo.gl/43wv8DtTZ4XPrp3Y8

Initially, I was thinking that one of the sensors may have gone bad. But today, I found the rear tyre had just 12 PSI. The tyre must have definitely caught a nail on the last ride because I remember topping the pressure up to 30 PSI before I left for the ride.

Anyway, here is a snippet from CBR service manual - page 16-10. It mentions "incorrect tyre pressure" as one of the reasons why the ABS indicator might blink. However, after fixing the puncture, the indicator still blinks which might mean there is something wrong with the ABS unit.

Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-absindicatorproblem.png

Anybody face this issue before? Frankly, it seems a bit odd to me that ABS unit could go bad so early (ODO is at 16550 kms only).
siddhant is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 19:02   #613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhant View Post
Hi guys. 2 days ago, while I was riding, the ABS light on my bike started blinking. See video - https://photos.app.goo.gl/43wv8DtTZ4XPrp3Y8
Update: So, I took it to the service center and the mechanic found the rear sensor wire cut by reading out the problem codes as mentioned in the service manual (page 16-8). Codes 13, 14 and 62 flashed.

Reconnected it using black tape.

Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-img_20211021_170949.jpg
siddhant is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 19:33   #614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarface View Post
Motorcycles are meant to be ridden, 13k in close to ten years is very less mileage for a bike. This makes me suspicious on the authenticity of the mileage reported.
While 13K kms in 10 years is indeed less than normal, it need not necessarily be tampered.

My May2014 CBR250 has till date done only 20K kms in 7.5 years of ownership. Actually in the first 5years, it had done only 8K odd kms. But in the last 2.5 years it has done 12K kms. I use it only for long highway rides - around 200kms almost every weekend for last 2 years (except the lockdedDown months).

Only scheduled services done in last 7 years. The only part I changed otherwise was the throttle cable (wasn't really needed to be changed, possibly a bit stuck due to minimal usage).
Old 13th November 2021, 17:13   #615
BHPian

First of all, I am thankful to aargee for his comprehensive list of question answers that had cleared my doubts almost over 8 years ago. Thanking him pretty late for it. But better late than never.

I have few queries.

1. I have read the optimal gear shifting patterns mentioned in the original post so as to avoid lugging too. Off lately I have come across few people on YouTube claiming to ride their CBR250R at 50-55 kmph on 6th gear (in city). This for me is an impossible scenario as I have never been able to ride below 70kmph on 6th gear without lugging. Hence I always prefer to upshift to 6th gear after crossing 80kmph on highway. I wanted to know what is the speed you guys have experienced lugging on the 6th gear ? For me it is anything below 70.

2. I am experiencing mild engine oil leak from the "weep hole". I have double checked it now and it is actually from the weep hole and not due to bad oil filter cover gasket which I thought was the culprit. Some research online told me that the oil seal near the mechanical seal needs to be replaced. Is this correct ? The Honda ASC said the same but the oil seal isn't in stock and said it will take over a week for it to arrive. Has anyone else experienced this ? Is there any way to order it from somewhere ? If so, I would want to order mechanical seal and oil seal both.

3. I bought the bike in Jan 2012 (October 2011 manufactured bike) and it has been 35,300 kms which is fairly low. I have never changed the shims. Since day 1 the bike has been "7/10" in terms of smoothness/refinement if u have to rate it. I am just wondering if I need shims to be replaced ? Manual doesn't say anything about shims. But since it has been 10 years now, thought few changes should be important even after low mileage of 35,300 kms.

Regards
Ratan
Ratan Prabhu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks