Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2021, 21:17   #586
BANNED

Re: Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions

Today I went about changing the Throttle Cables and Grips, they're relatively cheap at under 500 bucks for everything.

Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-picsart_073108.55.35.jpg

Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-picsart_073108.54.44.jpg

The bike is a PITA to work on though, there really is very limited space to work and at times only a specific type of tool would do the job, so it's best to change consumables religiously than to have to face a situation where you'd have to do so unexpectedly in the middle of a ride.

Though I'd still recommend updating the stock toolkit, I'm making a list of tools to add, would share once finalized.

Anyhow the motorcycle still had the stock cable and grips in place so changing them really did transform the performance of the motorcycle, so I'd take the whole ordeal as a win.

Cheers,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 31st July 2021 at 21:36.
ashwinprakas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 11:57   #587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Though if there are suitable rear ones as well then I'd not mind buying and keeping a spare set just in case
Sir, all 4 ready, it should be in your hands mostly on or before 22-Aug, as we draw closer to Aug 15, will keep you posted on the logistics. Otherwise, genuine spares are armed & ready!!
Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-img_20210807_115836.jpg
aargee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 13:59   #588
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Sir, all 4 ready, it should be in your hands mostly on or before 22-Aug, as we draw closer to Aug 15, will keep you posted on the logistics. Otherwise, genuine spares are armed & ready!!
Attachment 2189644
Thanks a lot Sir!

Awaiting your visit to KL.

In the meantime an update regarding the CBR, I had been to the RTO on Monday and after spending over an hour waiting for my hearing I was told that the process couldn't be taken forward cause the TS RC was still showing as Active as per Vahan website.

And unless the same is suspended KL RTO wouldn't be able to register the vehicle. This was a very irritating bummer, I'm currently in talks with the previous owner and RTO Agent to have the issue resolved, they have informed me that it would take 48 hours for status to change but so far I do not see any changes.

Just to note vehicle was purchased almost a month ago and I've been reaching out to the RTO Agent since Monday. If this ain't a reflection of how messed up our system is I know not what is.

While all this was happening the stray cat that I feed often decided to thank me by assaulting the CBR's seats.

I'm hoping when I get time I'd get the seats redone with a different material like Rexine or something so that it would be practically cat resistant.

In the meanwhile I went to get common consumables for the CBR like Oil Filter, Oil Filter Gasket, Drain Bolt Crush Washer, Air Filter etc. But guess what, nothing is in stock. Last time when I effortlessly sourced both A&B cables and the grips I presumed part availability wasn't that hard but I now realized how wrongly I'd presumed.

Fellow Tbhpian Vijay had parted with his CBR a few days ago and had shared a FB post about selling his stockpile of CBR parts, have pinged him to see if the same is still available, if so I'm getting them, as for the rest only time will tell, in the meantime god bless aargee sir for his kindness.

What I find strange is that KL has a very healthy fan base for the CBR250R but still now there doesn't seem to be a reliable network for spares, if I'm missing something then please do educate me and I'd be much obliged cause once normal running resumes I'd be using up spares and changing damaged parts at quite a pace, provided all goes well.

That's all for now folks!
Regards,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 20:25   #589
BHPian

Hello, I have installed the Maddog aux lights recently. The switch was initially upright and the mechanic had inserted two rubber strips to hold it. If you look at the picture, one rubber strip that was doing the job of a spacer to fill in the gap and hold on to the brake cable has fallen off after just the second 100+ km ride. So now, only one remains. Currently, the switch remains at that position and it is a slight inconvenience to turn it on/off.

Given that I already have a phone holder mounted on the handlebar, any ideas as to where I can mount this switch? Would also welcome ideas of alternative arrangements for switch and phone mounts. Unfortunately, the handlebar has room for only one mount.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-img_20210821_103143.jpg  

siddhant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 00:18   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhant View Post
Hello, I have installed the Maddog aux lights recently. The switch was initially upright and the mechanic had inserted two rubber strips to hold it. If you look at the picture, one rubber strip that was doing the job of a spacer to fill in the gap and hold on to the brake cable has fallen off after just the second 100+ km ride. So now, only one remains. Currently, the switch remains at that position and it is a slight inconvenience to turn it on/off.

Given that I already have a phone holder mounted on the handlebar, any ideas as to where I can mount this switch? Would also welcome ideas of alternative arrangements for switch and phone mounts. Unfortunately, the handlebar has room for only one mount.
I had the same difficulty and installed the switch in the Allen bolt shown in the green highlight. You need to make a custom bracket as shown in the figure .The custom bracket is slid between the panel and frame mount and remains hidden and only the switch is visible. The image shows a straight but it is belt in to L shape . Since I am using the standard Maddog switch and not switch pro ( only one mounting point), there is only one point B. In your case , you would have to use two holes for mounting.

FYI , am using a similar setup on the left side for hazard light switch .

Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-cbr250_switchmount.png

Last edited by Doo_Dev : 23rd August 2021 at 00:23.
Doo_Dev is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 13:21   #591
BHPian

Hi everyone, anyone replaced their brake caliper on ABS model? Just wanted to get an idea of what would be the new rear caliper cost. My 2012 bike's rear caliper is eating away my brake pads alarmingly (3-4 k kms) and the rear pads aren't cheap at Rs. 1200 a set.

Surprisingly, it's only the rear brake pad closer to the caliper (or on the outside direction of the wheel) which is taking the brunt and the other one just stays fine. Any suggestions what could be the fix? My FNG suggested to get the caliper replaced as it has already been overhauled once or twice in last few years.

PS: I picked up a spare set of rear brake pads from Honda Amritsar last month while on my Mumbai Leh ride. When it was time to replace the pads, we noted that both new pads are same and can be fitted only on one side of the caliper. As luck would have it, these pads fit the side of caliper which isn't getting used up at all and now I have perfectly okay 3 brake pads, all fitting just one side of caliper if anyone in Mumbai needs a free pad just for one side, pm me

A pic for reference. The worn out pad is rusted and old since I'm using one of my old yesteryears pad kept as spare just for emergencies.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-img_20210830_112039.jpg  

camitesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 21:25   #592
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by camitesh View Post
Hi everyone, anyone replaced their brake caliper on ABS model? Just wanted to get an idea of what would be the new rear caliper cost. My 2012 bike's rear caliper is eating away my brake pads alarmingly (3-4 k kms) and the rear pads aren't cheap at Rs. 1200 a set
You must contemplate rebuilding your caliper. Yours isn't a floating caliper, hence only once sides pad is being eaten up at an alarming rate.

If pad price is an issue do have a look at the Pulsar 220 rear brake pad, if I'm not wrong(fading memory, do reconfirm) they are cross compatible and the Bajaj one costs only around 200ish a pair.

Regards,
A.P.

Last edited by GTO : 1st September 2021 at 07:55. Reason: Please maintain a civil, polite & respectful tone. No need to be rude on the forum
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 31st August 2021, 13:47   #593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
TIf pad price is an issue do have a look at the Pulsar 220 rear brake pad, if I'm not wrong(fading memory, do reconfirm) they are cross compatible and the Bajaj one costs only around 200ish a pa
Regards,
A.P.
Thanks AP, like I mentioned in my previous post, I did get the caliper overhauled but it did not help. Will check again with another FNG if they can rebuild it. On a side note, I just visited the Honda SVC to check on few parts I had ordered and the rear caliper costs approximately INR 4.2k. As expected, the CBR mechanic there didn't entertain any work on caliper and suggested a replacement. Have asked them to see if the internal components of caliper can be ordered separately for a rebuild at FNG.

The brake pad cost isn't an issue, its an issue if they're getting worn out unexpectedly. I do not want to compromise on brake pads so either it will be the Honda or upgrade to sintered pads. I'm using EBC pads in front since over a year and pretty happy with them, especially after my recent long ride.

Ps: the p220 rear brake pads are compatible with non ABS CBR250 from what I read. Not exploring that route anyway

Last edited by GTO : 1st September 2021 at 07:55. Reason: Quoted post has been edited
Old 6th September 2021, 08:54   #594
BHPian

Quote:
I see that you have installed a phone holder on your handlebar. Installing a phone holder on a clip on type handlebar has been a real challenge. Could you give details as to how have you installed this? What is the name / model of the phone holder? Does the phone remain secured, even when the bike goes over potholes?

Some pictures of how you've gone about installing it, and those of a charging arrangement, if you've fabricated one would be helpful.

Cheers !

Last edited by Ironhide : 6th September 2021 at 08:56. Reason: Adding queries
Old 6th September 2021, 10:29   #595
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone, anyone replaced their brake caliper on ABS model? Just wanted to get an idea of what would be the new rear caliper cost. My 2012 bike's rear caliper is eating away my brake pads alarmingly (3-4 k kms) and the rear pads aren't cheap at Rs. 1200 a set.

Surprisingly, it's only the rear brake pad closer to the caliper (or on the outside direction of the wheel) which is taking the brunt and the other one just stays fine. Any suggestions what could be the fix? My FNG suggested to get the caliper replaced as it has already been overhauled once or twice in last few years.
See if the slide pins are properly lubed with silicone grease. You need to rebuild the caliper piston seal and piston boot only if the caliper piston is stuck.
Old 7th September 2021, 09:29   #596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
I see that you have installed a phone holder on your handlebar. Installing a phone holder on a clip on type handlebar has been a real challenge. Could you give details as to how have you installed this? What is the name / model of the phone holder? Does the phone remain secured, even when the bike goes over potholes?
I have the Grandpitstop claw charger https://www.grandpitstop.com/mobile-...holder-charger. I see that Grandpitstop has updated this page with clear pictures of the product and mounting instructions (very helpful). Please have a look there.

Pictures from my bike:
  • 1st from top - see the clamp + the spacer on the left side of the handlebar. Notice that I have only used one spacer. That was enough for the clamp to hold firmly to the handlebar.
  • 2nd and 3rd - routing the wire through the left fairing and tying it up at equal intervals. You have to loosen the left fairing and remove the part next to the seat to be able to properly route the wire.

I have covered almost 7,000 kms with this mobile holder. Zero issues so far - at high speeds (120-130 kph) or over rough roads.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-img_20210907_085050.jpg  

siddhant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 08:39   #597
BHPian

Quote:
I have the Grandpitstop claw charger https://www.grandpitstop.com/mobile-...holder-charger. I see that Grandpitstop has updated this page with clear pictures of the product and mounting instructions (very helpful). Please have a look there.

Pictures from my bike:
  • 1st from top - see the clamp + the spacer on the left side of the handlebar. Notice that I have only used one spacer. That was enough for the clamp to hold firmly to the handlebar.
  • 2nd and 3rd - routing the wire through the left fairing and tying it up at equal intervals. You have to loosen the left fairing and remove the part next to the seat to be able to properly route the wire.

I have covered almost 7,000 kms with this mobile holder. Zero issues so far - at high speeds (120-130 kph) or over rough roads.
Many thanks Siddhant. This looks promising. Just curious as to how has the charging been catered for? Any fuses for surge/ spike protection?

Cheers !
Old 10th September 2021, 10:20   #598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
Many thanks Siddhant. This looks promising. Just curious as to how has the charging been catered for? Any fuses for surge/ spike protection?

Cheers !
Yes, the mobile holder unit comes with a fuse built in and a spare.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-cjgmobh_black_4.jpg  

Old 10th September 2021, 23:52   #599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
See if the slide pins are properly lubed with silicone grease. You need to rebuild the caliper piston seal and piston boot only if the caliper piston is stuck.
The slide pins seem okay. Caliper piston needed a lot of effort for any movement. Also the anti rattle clip seems to be not sitting well in its position. I'm told ordering the child parts may take really long so I may just get a new caliper. Trying to check the possibilities at few service centres and FNGs. Meanwhile, the OEM brake pads are still elusive at honda SVC in my region though I've ordered them about a few weeks back. May just get EBC brake pads which are available off the shelf in a store nearby.
Old 11th September 2021, 07:13   #600
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The slide pins seem okay. Caliper piston needed a lot of effort for any movement. Also the anti rattle clip seems to be not sitting well in its position. I'm told ordering the child parts may take really long so I may just get a new caliper. Trying to check the possibilities at few service centres and FNGs. Meanwhile, the OEM brake pads are still elusive at honda SVC in my region though I've ordered them about a few weeks back. May just get EBC brake pads which are available off the shelf in a store nearby.
I think the Bajaj pulsar brake pads are same size and shape of CBR250R pads. Maybe you can take your old pads to nearby bike spare store and check? As an interim solution.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks