Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2020, 17:10   #541
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
For both of you, it must be the additional weight (tail & saddle bags) and the triple digit speeds
Absolutely no; from my experience, any speed over 100 Kmph is not going to yield more than 36 Kmpl; 105 is 34 Kmpl & anything in the reign of 110 & more is 30-32 Kmpl. I've tested this countless times with statistics on multiple roads (NH4, NH7, NH5, NH47, NH45 & state highways in GJ, TN, KL); only 80 Kmph will yield 40 Kmpl & prolonged 80 will yield over 42-44 Kmpl.

Quote:
I rarely go above 90kmph and am usually in the 80kmph range, which might explain my 40kmpl FE
Strongly agree

Last edited by aargee : 14th October 2020 at 17:11.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 09:49   #542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Absolutely no; from my experience, any speed over 100 Kmph is not going to yield more than 36 Kmpl; 105 is 34 Kmpl & anything in the reign of 110 & more is 30-32 Kmpl. I've tested this countless times
Both of us are saying the same thing.
My point was the same as yours - that your mid-30ish FE could be attributed to the 3-digit speeds at which you cruise because higher the speed, lower the FE (applies to both bikes and cars).
Old 14th November 2020, 13:18   #543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
Fuel-gauge & range/bar :
Last weekend the tank had around 0.25litres of usable fuel when I filled up for Rs850 (10.46litres) - fuel came up till the level plate. And voila, saw the 6th fuel-gauge bar pop up. For the very first time in 6years of owning the bike. All along I was thinking that it was a 5-bar gauge. But the 6th bar vanished in the next 2 kms.

Quote:
On the stretch of NH47 I ride, 3-digit speeds are not only tough to maintain, but would also be suicidal - I rarely go above 90kmph and am usually in the 80kmph range, which might explain my 40kmpl FE.
Last week I also saw the lowest ever FE in 6+ years of owning the bike - 29kmpl.
Fuelling was done at my usual station - so don't doubt cheating. Riding was as usual - a few bursts of 100kmph was the only unusual thing I remember doing.
Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-cbrmileage.jpg
supremeBaleno is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 19:29   #544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Last weekend the tank had around 0.25litres of usable fuel when I filled up for Rs850 (10.46litres) - fuel came up till the level plate. And voila, saw the 6th fuel-gauge bar pop up. For the very first time in 6years of owning the bike. All along I was thinking that it was a 5-bar gauge. But the 6th bar vanished in the next 2 kms
Haha no wonder the lengthy discussion on the fuel gauge & FE we did!!

Mine always had 6 bars all the time I refuel (except few occasion) & here's the fun with 6th bar...
1. Ride at 80 Kmph constant lasts atleast 45 Km (I once got 56 Kmpl)
2. Ride at 100 constant last 33 Km for sure
3. Ride over 120 Kmph lasts 28 Km

And, it's hard to believe that CBR can actually gobble more than 13 liters

Quote:
Last week I also saw the lowest ever FE in 6+ years of owning the bike - 29kmpl.
Well it's simple if you believe looks are deceiving...
Day 1 - Fill for 11 liters
Ride
Day X - Fill for 13 liters
Voila!! your FE is ultra low

Most guys do the opposite & have a tall claim of high FE. Note that most of them do it unintentionally, not that I blame anyone here.

Last edited by aargee : 16th November 2020 at 19:31.
Old 3rd December 2020, 00:24   #545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee
Mine always had 6 bars all the time I refuel (except few occasion)
Since the manual says that we should not fill fuel above the level-plate of the fuel-filler, I have always been very cautious while doing a full tank. Even then atleast 3-4 times in the recent past, the fuel did come up till the level plate but only once did the 6th bar show up for me (and stayed only for 2kms).
If you see it always, do you fill fuel till above the level plate ?

Quote:
And, it's hard to believe that CBR can actually gobble more than 13 liters
13 litres is what the manual says is the tank capacity. But the maximum I filled (till level plate) was 10.6 litres with 0.25litres of "usable" fuel inside- making the total usable fuel approx 11litres. The remaining 2 litres, if at all it exists in the tank, seems unusable.

Quote:
Well it's simple if you believe looks are deceiving...
Day 1 - Fill for 11 liters - Ride - Day X - Fill for 13 liters
Voila!! your FE is ultra low
I compute FE by the blink-to-blink method (sort of like how we would do in bikes with reserve knob).
Say 1st bar blinks at X kms. Fill Y litres. Next blink at Z kms.
FE = (Z-X)/Y
In this method, the quantity filled doesn't matter. Just like it doesn't matter in the reserve-knob method.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 3rd December 2020 at 00:31.
Old 3rd December 2020, 06:57   #546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you see it always, do you fill fuel till above the level plate ?
Always, every single time, all the way from 2011. Since my needs are different, I choose to do that & it has proven very successful to me. It enabled me to ride non-stop from Chennai to Mahadevapura (351 Km) & still the fuel bar wouldn't blink.

Quote:
In this method, the quantity filled doesn't matter. Just like it doesn't matter in the reserve-knob method.
Rationally I don't see any issues in this method; but I started with above because I could have fewer stops especially when I ride to North. Like, Nelamangala HP, Davangere IOL, Kholapur IOL & then one refuel somewhere after Pune will get me to Thane.

Today, I may not be that crazy enough, I would rather try to experiment refueling at different places. But the urge to stop less & reach destination faster lead me to discover I can actually fill a lot more. Had I got your question last week, I could've taken a picture & shown it to you on the fuel level I fill.

Edit - A week ago, I filled once again to full & tested (for Sunday morning ride); when the 6th bar disappeared, the trip read was 33 Km on the speeds of this post getting deleted on ORR

Last edited by aargee : 3rd December 2020 at 07:00.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 16:58   #547
BHPian

Quote:
I compute FE by the blink-to-blink method (sort of like how we would do in bikes with reserve knob).
Say 1st bar blinks at X kms. Fill Y litres. Next blink at Z kms.
FE = (Z-X)/Y
Isn't that a bit too tight and one may not have fuel pump nearby when it blinks or go to reserve?

I usually do it using full tank to full tank method by using auto cut-off mechanism of fuel dispenser machine. So, if I am getting full tank at 30000K odo reading today and when next time I do full tank (assuming 10 ltrs) at 30350K odo reading, average would simply come out to be 350/10 = 35 km/l.
Old 6th December 2020, 17:27   #548
BANNED

Too much complexities, install Fuelio App and just feed it data, every time you max out the fuel tank make sure to tick the appropriate box and it'll show you your FE.

Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-screenshot_2020120617194333_2b3f3c8d1fd5cd66f114c90effc5a955.jpg

In the main screen it will also show average FE which would give you a more apt reading.

Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-screenshot_2020120617234958_2b3f3c8d1fd5cd66f114c90effc5a955.jpg

I like the part where it lets me compute maintenance costs separately.

Definitely worth a look!

Fuelio: Fuel log & costs, GPS tracker

Cheers,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 19:38   #549
Senior - BHPian

Recently I was hearing some sound whenever I let go the accelerator to slow down and then accelerate. With the helmet on, it was tough to know from where it was coming. After sometime I did figure it out to be due to a loose chain. Checked the chain and it was unbelievably loose. Never had this earlier - need to get checked at next service.

BTW, any good non-HASS mechanics for the CBR in Kochi where I could get the oil & filter changed, the chain tightened etc - basic stuff ? With ASS, it's a pain - having to get there at 7AM and still they want to keep the bike overnight, all for a routine service.
Old 8th December 2020, 19:54   #550
BHPian

Quote:
Recently I was hearing some sound whenever I let go the accelerator to slow down and then accelerate. With the helmet on, it was tough to know from where it was coming. After sometime I did figure it out to be due to a loose chain. Checked the chain and it was unbelievably loose. Never had this earlier - need to get checked at next service.

BTW, any good non-HASS mechanics for the CBR in Kochi where I could get the oil & filter changed, the chain tightened etc - basic stuff ? With ASS, it's a pain - having to get there at 7AM and still they want to keep the bike overnight, all for a routine service.
I can suggest a good friend of mine. He takes up works like these for a nominal charge as he is looking into setting up a shop soon and is right at Cochin. As far as trust goes, I know him for a very long time we are old riding buddies and we work on our bikes a lot together(have documented a lot of that in my R1 thread). Don't consider this as a plug or anything, if you want to get the info, do DM me and I'll direct you to him.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 20:42   #551
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Too much complexities, install Fuelio App and just feed it data,
Definitely worth a look!

Cheers,
A.P.
I have been using the Fuelio app for the last one year and I agree with this. I have not indulged in the FE discussions, but was wondering how some of you were getting high 30s all the time!

Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-screenshot_20201208203849885_com.kajda.fuelio.jpg

Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-screenshot_20201208203840259_com.kajda.fuelio.jpg
tchsvy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 16:53   #552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulba
Isn't that a bit too tight and one may not have fuel pump nearby when it blinks or go to reserve?
When the 1st bar blinks, the available range (DTE) is 90kms - too many fuel pumps in this range on most of our highways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas
Too much complexities, install Fuelio App and just feed it data, every time you max out the fuel tank make sure to tick the appropriate box and it'll show you your FE.
The App relies on FullTank being the same for every fill to compute FE. What is "Full-Tank" varies from fill to fill and for everyone - eg. aargee has always filled till the 6th bar lights up. I thought I was doing a tank-full when fuel reaches the level-plate (manual says don't fill above it), but saw the 6th bar for the first time last month, after 6 years of owning the bike.

The blink on the other hand is constant always - when fuel goes below a set-level in the tank, blink comes on. Always at that same level. I agree that keeping a watch for blink isn't easy, but not tough. A voice alert could've been useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasadgg
I can suggest a good friend of mine. He takes up works like these for a nominal charge as he is looking into setting up a shop soon and is right at Cochin. As far as trust goes, I know him for a very long time we are old riding buddies and we work on our bikes a lot together
Thanks, will PM you for details. BTW, why don't you add him in the team-bhp directory ? Would be useful for all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchsvy
I have not indulged in the FE discussions, but was wondering how some of you were getting high 30s all the time!
FE is dependent on a lot of factors apart from the bike itself - roads, traffic, speed, city vs highway etc.
supremeBaleno is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 17:15   #553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, any good non-HASS mechanics for the CBR in Kochi where I could get the oil & filter changed, the chain tightened etc - basic stuff ?
If you can ride to Muvattupuzha, I could find someone very reliable. I could pull someone's socks at EVM EKM, but the former is much easier.
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 13:53   #554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
FE is dependent on a lot of factors apart from the bike itself - roads, traffic, speed, city vs highway etc.
I missed a key factor - laden weight, including biker / pillion and luggage. Tourers would have quite some luggage on the bike while I carry practically nothing on my weekend rides, ride alone and weigh a mere 65kgs.

Quote:
If you can ride to Muvattupuzha, I could find someone very reliable. I could pull someone's socks at EVM EKM, but the former is much easier.
Not very far away, but with ride, return and service, it would take a day. I used EVM for the last service as suggested by you & nothing really to complain, but given how Honda bikes/scooters are all over the place in Kerala, it's crowded.

BTW, what rating engine oil do you guys use ? The manual says 10W-30.
Any recommended brands ?
Old 15th December 2020, 15:42   #555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I missed a key factor - laden weight
In my experience this is negligible; I've had 46.1 Kmpl with tailbag & I weighing over 77 Kg as well as low as 31 Kmpl on solo ride to 37 Kmpl with tail bag & I on GJ roads. Frankly I don't know is the fact.

Quote:
BTW, what rating engine oil do you guys use ? The manual says 10W-30.Any recommended brands ?
There's a huge argument here, go through from this if you like to get confused

Personally I've tested Shell 10W40 Advanced Ultra from 38K Kms for its superior technology & economic cost compared to second best Motul 7100 10W40. But key is TOP-UP, top-up & top-up. Always remember to check every 2000-1000-1000-1000-1000 Km intervals & top-up. I've once completed entire GQ ride & Kanyakumari to Dholavira without changing the oil but just by topping up when required. The GJ trip's oil lasted for a little over 8000 Km. GQ was hardly over 6K Km

Last edited by aargee : 15th December 2020 at 15:54.
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks