Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2020, 07:09   #511
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline Shooter View Post
on conversation with other CBR owners, they complained of rough engine and gear shifts post 3.5-4k kms with Motul
This is bound to happen with any engine oil at around the same ODO for a simple reason, some amount of oil will be vaporized & hence topping up is required as I mentioned in my earlier post. Shell or even stock engine oil is no exception, just that the stock engine oil vaporizes around 2.8K

Quote:
Its out of warranty
Then no issues; Since you've put down only 25K, I was bit concerned on warranty. My warranty got over < 14 months as it had crossed 32K + I didn't opt for extended warranty.

Quote:
Can we have some Super-Long Term ownership review?
Whenever I find time, I'll do that, otherwise, the FAQ should be OK for most of the owner's needs. And this bike really doesn't need any such thing as such because from what I observed, it's more of fill it, shut it, forget it type IF period service is taken very seriously. There're almost no niggling issues; used to be the speedo light, front brakes for non ABS etc; but with the newer batches they're taken care as well. Over the years, it has become a stale outdated motorcycle that does what it is supposed to be doing flawless. Typical Honda.

Last edited by aargee : 31st January 2020 at 07:13.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 12:08   #512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasadgg View Post
Have you tried moving the handlebar from side to side while the bike is idling post first start? If the throttle cable is getting stuck.

Cheers
Krishna
Today I straightened the handlebar before starting the bike up, and there is no difference in the behaviour. So, in the mornings 1. The neutral light doesn't light up 2. To start the bike I need to pull the clutch in 3. Bike starts at higher RPMs and stays at those RPMs until I give a little throttle 4. After riding a few kms the neutral light comes to life 5. If I ride the bike after some time there is no odd behaviour, but if start the bike up after few hours the morning pattern repeats itself.

I believe these are somehow connected and I am just wondering whether the battery has any role to play in all these.
Old 31st January 2020, 12:39   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchsvy View Post
Today I straightened the handlebar before starting the bike up, and there is no difference in the behaviour. So, in the mornings 1. The neutral light doesn't light up 2. To start the bike I need to pull the clutch in 3. Bike starts at higher RPMs and stays at those RPMs until I give a little throttle 4. After riding a few kms the neutral light comes to life 5. If I ride the bike after some time there is no odd behaviour, but if start the bike up after few hours the morning pattern repeats itself.

I believe these are somehow connected and I am just wondering whether the battery has any role to play in all these.

Well, I have had all the points you have listed on my bike too. But the RPM holding issue happened separately.
What solved neutral light issue for me was cleaning the neutral switch.
And rerouting the throttle cable has sorted out the RPM issue for me, the cable was getting stuck for me for some reason.
So I'd suggest try cleaning the neutral switch connection point and see if it makes any of the 5 symptoms go away.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 13:17   #514
BHPian

Quote:
At the outset , i must confess that this bike is unfamiliar to me. I had to google the specs of this bike before posting.
On the issue of higher rpm at idle, it may be a case of TPS sensor going wild. In a RE500, the idle settling should read 0.6V or something. You can also check what you are getting at idle and cross check with the service manual.

When the TPS sensor gives a wrong (higher) signal , the ECU forces the FI to push more gas into the engine.

Check this thread for discussions on how to check the TPS voltage at Idle.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post4736027 (The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!)

On the neutral light not getting on, it does look like a problem with neutral switch as @krishnaprasadgg has pointed out.

Quote:
IMHO, it does not look like a battery problem to me.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 16:57   #515

Hola, ceebee owners!
I'd uploaded a post a few months ago about buying a new bike for myself. The gist of that was:

* Something that I could afford + something easy to fix

* Something fun

* Mostly highway usage with a bit of off road mixed in

While the RTR200 was coming to be the closest option I had, a spot of bad finances and bad decisions meant I couldn't book one in 2019.

It was at this point I'd come across an old sale post a friend had made on Facebook, for his 2012 CBR250 ABS. It's an old gal, done around 42000km,

but I had the chance to ride it around for around 1000km myself in the past 2 months and I'm actually pretty hooked on to it. The owner also got it new tyres, new disc pads, new radiator and has taken, for the most part, extremely good care of it. I'd initially promised myself I wouldn't get a pre owned bike as my first one, but spending time with this one has changed my mind.

One issue still persists: The fan does not turn on even after the temp gauge lights up all the way. The engine gets extremely hot in traffic, to the point where the coolant starts dripping out the drainage bolt. On inspection, there seems to be a problem with the relay for the fan. So a replacement is the need of the hour.

With all this in mind, and the fact that the CBR250 has been discontinued (according to showrooms), I'd like to know your thoughts before actually plonking down the moolah for it. The bike itself, apart from the radiator problem, is in amazing condition, I crossed 130kmph for the first time ever on it on a run to Dandiganahalli Dam near Nandi Hills, and it felt absolutely fine. Great FE too, at least 35kmpl after an oil change to 10w40.

P.S: I intend on getting a sticker wrap done once the bike is officially mine. Any recommendations for a good service in Bangalore?

P.P.S: Aswinprakas, if you're reading this, I know you said buying this might not be the best idea but

And many many thanks for all the great advice, I still owe you that beer!
T.U.P is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 17:45   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.U.P View Post
Hola, ceebee owners!
I'd uploaded a post a few months ago about buying a new bike for myself. The gist of that was: .....P.P.S: Aswinprakas, if you're reading this, I know you said buying this might not be the best idea but

And many many thanks for all the great advice, I still owe you that beer!

If the bike is in very good mechanical condition, I'd say go for it. I myself have the CBR250 since 2013 and have never regretted it once and the bike has never failed me once in the 53k kms it has run.
Now as far as parts and service and maintenance go, I'd suggest you get the bike serviced from Highlander at HSR, ask for Karthick. If you'd done some digging around you'll know that he is the guy who is preferred by most CBR owners in Bangalore to get the bike serviced by.

Sourcing parts should not be a problem at least in Bangalore, I have found most parts to be available readily and if not turn around time is pretty minimal

Cheers
Krishna
Old 10th February 2020, 19:25   #517
Senior - BHPian

I do not know really what's your expectation; but let me set you a realistic expectation & if it meets, then, go for it, otherwise stay off!
  • You don't really intent to show off that you have a big bike
  • Your intention is to enjoy the ride + absolute control + good FE + good handling on broken/roadless roads/super comfort + light pocket on maintenance + wide spread ASC
  • You value the fun of torquier engine than top end
  • Long term ownership

Now to some realities from what you've posted
From the above list R15 is a close contender as well, except the handling on roadless roads + R15 gives you a good FE than C250R

FE of 35 Kmpl...if you've done anything around 105-110 Kmph on highway & measured using full tank method, then the engine is super good, no complaints

Fan relay issue is not a big one, but will turn out to be expensive affair if not taken care immediately. Other than this, I don't think anything needs to be worried. Like Krishna Prasad says, Karthik should do a good job (his name rings for nearly a decade now)

Last edited by aargee : 10th February 2020 at 19:26.
Old 14th February 2020, 01:00   #518
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been noticing a flat spot between 3500-4000 rpm. The bike kind of feel dead somewhere around these rpms. Is that normal? Any work around other than revving hard to avoid this bracket?
Old 14th February 2020, 08:02   #519
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I have been noticing a flat spot between 3500-4000 rpm. The bike kind of feel dead somewhere around these rpms. Is that normal? Any work around other than revving hard to avoid this bracket?
A flat spot is a lean spot.

Have you opted for any juvenile mods on the motorcycle?

Cheers,
A.P
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2020, 19:13   #520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, tell me how to observe this pls? BTW, did you tell Mr. Raji about this?
Old 15th February 2020, 14:31   #521
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
A flat spot is a lean spot.

Have you opted for any juvenile mods on the motorcycle?...
Nothing on the mechanical side. I have an aux lamp and a usb charger added.

The flat spot became prominent after using Essar fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
No, tell me how to observe this pls? BTW, did you tell Mr. Raji about this?
If you are riding steady and gaining speed, you feel a power loss around these rpms.

Sorry but who's Mr. Raji? I stopped going to Didar since a year and last service was done at Motodynamics and two previous services before that were done at Highlander, Bangalore.
Old 15th February 2020, 18:09   #522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are riding steady and gaining speed, you feel a power loss around these rpms
Oh!! Then there's no such thing for me. My only observation in recent time is that, earlier, below 70 Kmph & 6th gear there's engine knocking, anything above 72 Kmph, it's steady, but now a days, the knocking is not serious even at 65 Kmph & 6th gear. Other than that the pull at respective gears at speeds are no issues at all.

Quote:
I stopped going to Didar since a year and last service was done at Motodynamics and two previous services before that were done at Highlander, Bangalore.
Where's Motodynamics located? Chennai or Bangalore? I'm very wary of visiting any independent garage as they don't hold any accountability. Is it worth going to them? Asking this since, you're a visitor there, otherwise, I would simply move on
Old 15th February 2020, 20:15   #523
BANNED

Quote:
Nothing on the mechanical side.
That takes half the trouble out of diagnosing such concerns, do make it a point not to mess with the stock intake/exhaust.

Something I always tell enthusiasts is;

East or West, Stock is Best!

Quote:
The flat spot became prominent after using Essar fuel.
If its fueling related then as long as the injector, pump and other sensors aren't throwing up any codes and there isn't any air leaks present AND if the consumables have been replaced on time then I wouldn't bother.

Such tiny niggles tend to fix themselves, at least on my carburetted motorcycles. So I simply ignore them.

Cheers,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 20:05   #524
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
... Where's Motodynamics located? Chennai or Bangalore? I'm very wary of visiting any independent garage as they don't hold any accountability. Is it worth going to them? Asking this since, you're a visitor there, otherwise, I would simply move on
Injambakkam (ECR, next to Vettuvankeni) I guess - you should be able to find the address easily on the web. These guys are nice and Jaideep who owns this, was into professional racing circuit. They are a small team and I hear only good things and was happy how they worked on my bike - though there wasnt anything faulty. A friend followed suit for some issue on his Duke 390 which the SVC wasnt able to fix for long (based on my experience) - he is another happy customer.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 20:26   #525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Injambakkam (ECR, next to Vettuvankeni) I guess - you should be able to find the address easily on the web
Bah!! Way too far for me!! But yes, if there's something the ASC cannot fix or if I'm totally dissatisfied with their work, I will visit them for sure. One of them being SHIM replacement. I totally don't trust the ASC fellows to get this job done. Earlier JSP used to do a professional work, I think my last replacement was around 80K & now it's 129K & the vehicle still holds good & there isn't much noise either.

I'll give a try may be for this type of delicate real professional work, not for general service though

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks