Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2020, 19:27   #496
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions for New Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee
Q. I don't feel the front brake are quite effective on my STD model; what should I do?
A. Yes, CBR STD has a little inadequate front brakes, at high speeds only, because of the design of the uneven piston sizes manufactured by BYBRE & the non sintered brake pads
I had a query about the rear brakes of the CBR (Std). I went back and checked some pages of this thread, but only saw the above reference to the front brakes.

From the time the bike was new, the rear brakes were kind of useless. In the sense that stepping on the rear brake pedal seems like stepping on a block of wood. And no worthwhile braking seems to happen.

This was weird to me coming from years of normal 100cc bike use where rear brakes contribute most of the effort to braking, with only a little emphasis given to front brakes.

I see that this hasn't changed inspite of the various services done. So is this something with only my bike or same for all CBRs & maybe a sports bike thing ?
Old 13th January 2020, 22:56   #497
BHPian

Re: Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Cbr250r discontinued? That's news to me. The latest iteration was launched in 2018. Why will they discontinue it already? They have till March 2020.
My Bad, I checked on their site and overlooked the 250R, it is indeed available, Thanks for pointing it out.

- Slick
Slick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 23:48   #498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I had a query about the rear brakes of the CBR (Std). I went back and checked some pages of this thread, but only saw the above reference to the front brakes.
The whole thing about braking on bikes (or any other automobile for that matter) is that weight shifts to the front end when brakes are applied. This results in increased contact patch, & hence better braking. The same is not true of the rear wheel.

It's probably the reason why cars have disc brakes on front wheels as a rule (while high end cars have it on both ends, as an indulgence maybe).
Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-screenshot_202001132342442.png
The fact is, front brakes play a more significant role in braking than the rear.
Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-https___api.thedrive.com_wpcontent_uploads_2018_05_20180503_g4a1210.jpeg

It's the same for cars and bikes.

Cheers !

Last edited by vb-saan : 14th January 2020 at 08:40. Reason: Quoted post edited as requested
Ironhide is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 07:55   #499
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions for New Owners

Quote:
I had a query about the rear brakes of the CBR (Std). I went back and checked some pages of this thread, but only saw the above reference to the front brakes
The AM front brake pad is available only for ABS model, non ABS is simply useless, got to live with it!!

Quote:
From the time the bike was new, the rear brakes were kind of useless. In the sense that stepping on the rear brake pedal seems like stepping on a block of wood. And no worthwhile braking seems to happen
Change to steel braided line from Galfer & use stock pads, they will turn little better

Quote:
So is this something with only my bike or same for all CBRs & maybe a sports bike thing ?
All brakes on STD CBR are useless. Unfortunately, we got to live with it as the upgrades are not effective as well. Comparatively, ABS is far superior & the upgrades are even great.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 20:45   #500
BHPian

An issue cropped up in my 2018 MY CBR 250R, I didn't took her out for 3 days last week, when I got the chance to take her out on the 4th day, the neutral indicator wasn't lighting up, and I had to press the clutch lever to start her up, started with a single crank. The neutral light worked normally after few kms. It has been the case since, when I turn the ignition on, the neutral light won't turn on, I have to start the bike by pulling the clutch lever, everything else is normal and the bike runs fine, I went on a 200 KM ride today and there wasn't any other issue apart from this. Even after the 200 km long ride, the issue persist.

Is there anything I need to worry about, I will take her to the ASC soon, it will be helpful for me if I can get some insights as what could be wrong. Thanks in advance.
Old 29th January 2020, 21:23   #501
BHPian

I am planning to change my CBR's engine oil in a week's time. Do you guys have any suggestion?
I have been using Honda engine oil till date. My motorcycle is at 25k kms. The oils i have been considering :

Shell 10W40 fs
Motul 5100 10W40
Motul 7100 10W40
Liqui Moly 10w40 Street

Also is it advisable to switch to 10W50 considering the amount of riding I do in the Bangalore traffic?
Suggestions will be helpful.Thanks in advance.
Old 29th January 2020, 22:04   #502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline Shooter View Post
I am planning to change my CBR's engine oil in a week's time. Do you guys have any suggestion?
I have been using Honda engine oil till date. My motorcycle is at 25k kms. The oils i have been considering :

Shell 10W40 fs
Motul 5100 10W40
Motul 7100 10W40
Liqui Moly 10w40 Street

Also is it advisable to switch to 10W50 considering the amount of riding I do in the Bangalore traffic?
Try the Motul 7100 20W50, its best for the traffic conditions. I have been using it in my CBR for almost 6k kms now. Still no issues and engine is very smooth.
Best part, it comes in a 1.5L pack, perfect for the CBR 250.

Prior to this I had tried the shell 10W40, and that's good as well. But not as good as the Motul 7100

I have also tried the Motul 300V, but would not recommend it for city usage.

Also, please keep in mind, when you go to change oil, drain out the old oil completely before adding in the new oil.
iamahunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 01:19   #503
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to change my CBR's engine oil. The oils i have been considering :

Shell 10W40 fs
Motul 5100 10W40
Motul 7100 10W40
Liqui Moly 10w40 Street

From personal use of these oils I think the Shell FS 10W40 would be my first choice as I believe Shell oils go really well with Honda engines.

That said, my second choice, if I were you, would be the 7100 in 10W40 grade. I've used this oil extensively for many years in my bike/s. Its very good like the Shell but I think the Shell has a minor edge over it.

I don't think you do need to do W50 grades just because you drive in traffic. Remember, you have a water cooled engine and you don't need to go that far on this. W40 will do just fine and technically even W30 will work okay in normal conditions on the baby Honda. There are tons of air cooled motors running W40 in Indian conditions and unless you have an engine that is particularly known to run hot or something, like say how the Pulsar 220s did, for example, you don't need to sweat it. Just my two cents.

Have fun. Ride safe

Last edited by khan_sultan : 15th June 2020 at 07:07. Reason: line spacing for better readability
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 08:11   #504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you guys have any suggestion?
I have been using Honda engine oil till date. My motorcycle is at 25k kms...Suggestions will be helpful.Thanks in advance.
I've been using Shell 10W40 around 38K or 40K & the ODO now stands at 1284xx. I'll never switch to any other oil because...
- Superior specification than any other oil in the market
- Superior yet, priced lesser than the second superior product, Motul
- Have experienced engine oil lasting over 8000 Km (situational basis) & yet vehicle did good job. Also make a note that, constant top up has to be done post 3-4K Km for longer changing interval

Last but not the least, switch to non Honda engine oil from 32K as your warranty expires based on Km, unless you have extended warranty also expired

Quote:
I've put some decent amount of traffic in Bangalore with the same Shell 10W40 FS, no issues observed & that was between 60K to 105K time frame. Plus 50 grades are thicker & Honda is known for their precise engineering (read it as stingy using materials), so their oil lines may or may not allow the required amount of oil flow pressure using oil pump. Even 10W40 itself is thicker grade compared to their stock 10W30 & 10W50 might be an overkill.

Last edited by aargee : 30th January 2020 at 08:13.
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 10:24   #505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchsvy View Post
An issue cropped up in my 2018 MY CBR 250R, I didn't took her out for 3 days last week, when I got the chance to take her out on the 4th day, the neutral indicator wasn't lighting up, and I had to press the clutch lever to start her up, started with a single crank. The neutral light worked normally after few kms. It has been the case since, when I turn the ignition on, the neutral light won't turn on, I have to start the bike by pulling the clutch lever, everything else is normal and the bike runs fine, I went on a 200 KM ride today and there wasn't any other issue apart from this. Even after the 200 km long ride, the issue persist.

Is there anything I need to worry about, I will take her to the ASC soon, it will be helpful for me if I can get some insights as what could be wrong. Thanks in advance.
There is this neutral switch near the shifter area on the crankcase, it usually has a rubber boot covering it too(not to confuse with the shift linkage boots) what I have found is that whenever it gets extremely dirty on my bike the neutral light stops functioning and comes back on at random times when the bike is in neutral.
What I always do in this situation is take a rag and clean off the much in that area with a healthy dose of WD40 and this works like a charm each and every. Over the 6 years of ownership, I have come across this issue many times.

Attaching a picture for reference , i am resolving to schematics at the moment because the bike is in my hometown now and I do not have a picture on my phone at the moment. But it is pretty easy to find with the schematic as reference.

Look for Part no.6 that is the switch. and the position of it can be seen in the side view of the crankcase to the right side of the image.
Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-screenshot-20200130-10.21.24-am.png

Hope this helps.

Edit: Took a bit of digging but found one image I was shown in another forum a few years ago from where I had got the solution I just explained.

Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-switch.jpg

Notice the pointy golden color connector, that is the neutral switch, a wire usually connects onto it and has a rubber boot covering it which causes the problem when there is a miscontact

Quote:

Shell 10W40 fs
Motul 5100 10W40
Motul 7100 10W40
Liqui Moly 10w40 Street

I'd suggest to stick to Shell. Its quite easily available at any shell bunks so you know you get the original product, the engine runs pretty smooth and the oil works for both heavy city traffic use(Bangalore city rides) and holds up pretty well in Highway rides as well.

Cheers
Krishna

Last edited by krishnaprasadgg : 30th January 2020 at 10:33.
krishnaprasadgg is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 12:54   #506
Senior - BHPian

I have used both shell 10w40 and motul 7100. My recommendation is shell, very refined.

Even i found the rear brake very bad, no bite at all. Not bothered much as I mainly use front brake. It is very good after getting steel braided brake cable.
Old 30th January 2020, 15:51   #507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasadgg View Post
Hope this helps.

Cheers
Krishna
Thank you very much for the suggestion, I will surely be giving it a try. But I have observed one more issue after posting here, the bike is starting at higher RPMs, between 3500 and 4000 and the issue is it doesn't settle down to 1500 RPM, but stays at those RPMs until I give a little throttle.

Took her to the ASC, and the SA said some bolt was loose and tightened it, but it did not resolve the issue. I will be taking her again to the ASC.

Last edited by tchsvy : 30th January 2020 at 15:56.
Old 30th January 2020, 15:55   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchsvy View Post
Thank you very much for the suggestion, I will surely be giving it a try. But I have observed one more issue after posting here, the bike is starting at higher RPMs, between 3500 and 4000 and the issue is it doesn't settle down to 1500 RPM, but stays at those RPMs until I give a little throttle.

Took her to the ASC, and the SA said some bolt was loose and tightened it, but it did not resolve the issue. I will be taking her again to the ASC.
Have you tried moving the handlebar from side to side while the bike is idling post first start? If the throttle cable is getting stuck(happens with wear and tear or just if the cable is getting pinched somewhere due to improper routing of cable being a few possible reason) in a specific position this can happen.
I'm assuming you start the bike before getting on it so the handlebar will be in full left lock.
And I would look for a different svc if the response to an issue from the SA is "some bolt was loose".
Maybe time to find a good mech.

Also if you don't mind can you tell how old is the bike and how many kms it has run and if the throttle cable was replaced at any point in time before ?

Cheers
Krishna

Last edited by krishnaprasadgg : 30th January 2020 at 15:58.
krishnaprasadgg is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 16:05   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasadgg View Post
Have you tried moving the handlebar from side to side while the bike is idling post first start? If the throttle cable is getting stuck(happens with wear and tear or just if the cable is getting pinched somewhere due to improper routing of cable being a few possible reason) in a specific position this can happen.
I'm assuming you start the bike before getting on it so the handlebar will be in full left lock.
And I would look for a different svc if the response to an issue from the SA is "some bolt was loose".
Maybe time to find a good mech.

Cheers
Krishna
My practise is: I put in the keys, start the bike while it's on the side stand, keep her idling for about 30 seconds while I clean her up, then get onto the bike and slot her into first gear. So, I guess there is some chance of cable getting stuck, I will try to adjust the handle bar before starting her up and check if the problem persist.

I know I have to change the ASC, and I have couple of suggestions from bhpians, but unfortunately I am not able to find enough time to reach out those ASCs, as they are atleast 20KMs from my place. I will try to take my bike to either Secunderabd or SR Nagar ASC on any public holiday.

EDIT: I bought a preowned one, the bike is 2018 manufactured one, which was registered in March 2019, as of today the odo reads 8350 KMs, as per the previous owner there were no major repairs carried out and as soon as I got her I got the regular service done at ASC. I haven't replaced the throttle cable, and am not sure about any previous replacements.

Last edited by tchsvy : 30th January 2020 at 16:10.
Old 31st January 2020, 01:12   #510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
Try the Motul 7100 20W50, its best for the traffic conditions. I have been using it in my CBR for almost 6k kms now. Still no issues and engine is very smooth.
Best part, it comes in a 1.5L pack, perfect for the CBR 250.

Prior to this I had tried the shell 10W40, and that's good as well. But not as good as the Motul 7100

I have also tried the Motul 300V, but would not recommend it for city usage.

Also, please keep in mind, when you go to change oil, drain out the old oil completely before adding in the new oil.
Thanks iamahunter for the suggestions. I was using Motul 7100 on my last motorcycle and it was satisfactory. However on conversation with other CBR owners, they complained of rough engine and gear shifts post 3.5-4k kms with Motul. Hence i was considering other options.
Also yes as i am going to chaneg the oil myself, I shall make sure to drain out the old oil and change the oil filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
From personal use of these oils I think the Shell FS 10W40 would be my first choice as I believe Shell oils go really well with Honda engines.

That said, my second choice, if I were you, would be the 7100 in 10W40 grade. I've used this oil extensively for many years in my bike/s. Its very good like the Shell but I think the Shell has a minor edge over it.

I don't think you do need to do W50 grades just because you drive in traffic. Remember, you have a water cooled engine and you don't need to go that far on this. W40 will do just fine and technically even W30 will work okay in normal conditions on the baby Honda. There are tons of air cooled motors running W40 in Indian conditions and unless you have an engine that is particularly known to run hot or something, like say how the Pulsar 220s did, for example, you don't need to sweat it. Just my two cents.

Have fun. Ride safe
Thanks pixantz for the suggestions. I have heard good things about the Shell FS. Besides city riding, it mostly breakfast rides once every weekend and perhaps a longer ride(400-1000kms) every 2 months. I believe that shouldn't dictate the engine oil.
But our's being an oil cooled engine, what you suggested about the grade definitely makes sense. Thanks for the suggestion. I was perhaps thinking a tad too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I've been using Shell 10W40 around 38K or 40K & the ODO now stands at 1284xx. I'll never switch to any other oil because...
- Superior specification than any other oil in the market
- Superior yet, priced lesser than the second superior product, Motul
- Have experienced engine oil lasting over 8000 Km (situational basis) & yet vehicle did good job. Also make a note that, constant top up has to be done post 3-4K Km for longer changing interval

Last but not the least, switch to non Honda engine oil from 32K as your warranty expires based on Km, unless you have extended warranty also expired

I've put some decent amount of traffic in Bangalore with the same Shell 10W40 FS, no issues observed & that was between 60K to 105K time frame. Plus 50 grades are thicker & Honda is known for their precise engineering (read it as stingy using materials), so their oil lines may or may not allow the required amount of oil flow pressure using oil pump. Even 10W40 itself is thicker grade compared to their stock 10W30 & 10W50 might be an overkill.
Its out of warranty. Hence honda oil is out of question. I wasn't very satisfied with the last oil change and life of it any which ways. Time to switch to non-Honda brand and 10W40 garde Thanks aargee.

Also you have done some serious miles on the CBR. Can we have some Super-Long Term ownership review?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks