Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2016, 15:57   #406
BHPian

Re: Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions

Hi All!

I tried searching for this problem but could not locate any post, so here it is.
I just picked up a pre-worshiped Red 2012 Aug CBR 250 (ABS). The bike is indeed showroom tight at 27100 KMs that I took her at.

The issue I noticed is - At near stopping speeds, just before I halt (in traffic signals), both my feet are down and I use the front only brakes for the final stand still. At this time, the light pressure on the lever yields NO Results and no feel at the lever either. Now I am closer to the vehicle ahead and I apply a slightly more pressure. At this point I feel a slight restriction and then the pressure passes through - and the bike halts with a jerk, suddenly.

I feels like something is blocking the lever at light pressure and when the pressure is increases that "something" gives away and the lever gets depressed. Not a smooth experience. This does NOT happen with the foot pedal brake.

Since all this happens at 2-3 KMPH it does not pose a threat but I did reach too close to the car in the front too many times before my front gave a small nose dive and stopped.

This does not happen at speeds more than 10-15 KMPH.

Need help to identify and resolve this. I tried to reproduce it inside my parking and it is easily reproduced.

Air in the pipe? Or something else?
Old 15th December 2016, 19:54   #407
BHPian

Addition to the above
- The issue is seen at all speeds (I just checked)
- It is the same - light pressure - slight depression - no effect - harder pressure - the lever depressed a little more suddenly - Hard Braking is noticed.

I also noticed that the front disc has circular grooves. They are smooth edged but very obvious to the eye as well as touch.

Since it is the brakes, Need some help urgently.

Regards,
Saurab
Old 16th December 2016, 10:54   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust_Note View Post
Addition to the above
- The issue is seen at all speeds (I just checked)
- It is the same - light pressure - slight depression - no effect - harder pressure - the lever depressed a little more suddenly - Hard Braking is noticed.

I also noticed that the front disc has circular grooves. They are smooth edged but very obvious to the eye as well as touch.

Since it is the brakes, Need some help urgently.

Regards,
Saurab
If the O ring inside the master cylinder has gone bad, it may not trap the fluid properly, hence the loss in pressure. The brake lever may travel more when a light and smooth tug is given. If a sudden tug is given, it may react normally. If this is what happens to you, change the master cylinder piston kit.
Vignesh_N/A is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2016, 16:14   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vignesh_N/A View Post
If the O ring inside the master cylinder has gone bad, it may not trap the fluid properly, hence the loss in pressure. The brake lever may travel more when a light and smooth tug is given. If a sudden tug is given, it may react normally. If this is what happens to you, change the master cylinder piston kit.
Thanks for your response. No, that is not the case. I spoke to a few CBR Owners and also the previous owner of my baby. The fault was with me.

1. I was TOO delicate in pressing the lever and hence unexpected response.
2. Comming from a TBTS, the braking of the CBR has more bite and that I was not used to.

Started a more confident pressing of the lever (not too hard, just confident) and the problem seems to have gone.

So much for a switch from a lazy cruiser to a sports tourer .

Thanks!!
Saurab
Exhaust_Note is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2016, 21:24   #410
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone increased the handle height of CBR 250? If so, can you explain how to go about it?

I understand the current posture is good for handling, but unable to use it for long because of my shoulder pain issue. I have to either change the bike or get a relaxed riding posture. Thanks
Old 18th December 2016, 07:11   #411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Has anyone increased the handle height of CBR 250? If so, can you explain how to go about it?
There's a detailed post on this in xBhp ownership thread, sorry lazy to search for you now.

Quote:
I understand the current posture is good for handling, but unable to use it for long because of my shoulder pain issue
If you learn to apply the pressure on your wrists & elbow, there will be ZERO shoulder or any other pain in the body barring your butt for prolonged distance (read 600+ Km one way). I'm positive in saying this as I keep doing CHN-BLR-CHN nearly twice a month & only left with joy & nothing else.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2016, 20:40   #412
BHPian

Quote:

I understand the current posture is good for handling, but unable to use it for long because of my shoulder pain issue. I have to either change the bike or get a relaxed riding posture. Thanks
Here's a thread on our very own forum.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...handlebar.html

Cheers !
Ironhide is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 21:45   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your response. No, that is not the case. I spoke to a few CBR Owners and also the previous owner of my baby. The fault was with me.

1. I was TOO delicate in pressing the lever and hence unexpected response.
2. Comming from a TBTS, the braking of the CBR has more bite and that I was not used to.

Started a more confident pressing of the lever (not too hard, just confident) and the problem seems to have gone.

So much for a switch from a lazy cruiser to a sports tourer .

Thanks!!
Saurab
Resolved!
It was a bush that had gone bad. Bush changed, fork oil changed (was fresh though). It is fine now.

One question: Any source of a small amount of paint that matches the Red CBR? For a few minor scratches. Red Nail Polish doe snot work, not getting the right shade.

Cheers,
Saurab
Exhaust_Note is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 10:16   #414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One question: Any source of a small amount of paint that matches the Red CBR? For a few minor scratches. Red Nail Polish doe snot work, not getting the right shade.
How minor are the minor scratches?

If the paint surface has been scraped off say about 0.1, 0.2 mm, then it can be corrected using rubbing compound; if the base coat is visible or anything more than 0.5mm, you'll need to repaint from ASC
Old 2nd February 2017, 19:26   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
How minor are the minor scratches?

If the paint surface has been scraped off say about 0.1, 0.2 mm, then it can be corrected using rubbing compound; if the base coat is visible or anything more than 0.5mm, you'll need to repaint from ASC
ON the right horizontal panel - red color - that extends from the dashboard following the grey insert. A drop of hot Tar fell and it bubbled off the paint.

And on the side of the headlight, a little chopping (thanks to Tansi Honda Varthur). Can see the black base, around 1 mm cross section.

I have got the rubbing compound for the tank (minor pin scratches, like swirls one gets if not maintained properly) - again thanks to Tansi Honda. They had to replace my mirrors as they were scratched and I had pictures. But for the other minor ones, after a long argument, I decided to call it off.

Cheers,
Saurab C
Old 2nd February 2017, 20:23   #416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ON the right horizontal panel - red color - that extends from the dashboard following the grey insert. A drop of hot Tar fell and it bubbled off the paint
This cannot be corrected; either you've to let it be or fix a good quality sticker, like TBhp, HVK, xBhp etc if it's an eyesore.

Quote:
And on the side of the headlight, a little chopping (thanks to Tansi Honda Varthur). Can see the black base, around 1 mm cross section
Have not understood this; probably a picture can save many words
Old 8th February 2017, 09:35   #417
BHPian

Quote:
This cannot be corrected; either you've to let it be or fix a good quality sticker, like TBhp, HVK, xBhp etc if it's an eyesore.

Have not understood this; probably a picture can save many words
Shall upload both pics later tonight - office PC is all locked and secure.

I think I will let them be anyways since the base is plastic and hence no risk of corrosion setting in.

Cheers,
Saurab
Old 6th April 2017, 17:35   #418
BHPian

Hi Everyone,
I took my CBR 250R Repsol delivery today and drove to office for about 15 Kms.
I am not sure if this was discussed already and wanted to share my observation. After driving about 20 mins I stopped at a signal and killed the engine using kill switch but leaving the ignition key ON. After few seconds I felt little vibrations on the bike. I turned off the ignition Key they were gone. They came back immediately after turning ON the key again.

I suspect it to be the radiator fan running. But here are couple of questions from a previous RE owner.
1. Does the fan run even after engine is killed using the Switch?
2. Is this normal with all CBRs? or should I get something checked?
Old 6th April 2017, 18:50   #419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaveenKBorra View Post
1. Does the fan run even after engine is killed using the Switch?
Fan doesn't run if the engine switch remains OFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaveenKBorra View Post
2. Is this normal with all CBRs? or should I get something checked?
Give it somemore time to check in detail. Too early to analyze & asses.
Old 7th April 2017, 13:21   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Fan doesn't run if the engine switch remains OFF

Give it somemore time to check in detail. Too early to analyze & asses.
Thanks aargee, The Fan runs only when the engine is hot and both the Ignition Key and the Kill Switch is in ON position.

I was just too cautious and jumped the gun. May be got a bit too excited with my new bike. Hope you understand

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks