Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2014, 15:59   #286
BHPian

Re: Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions

Hi Guys
I own baby ceeber since 2.5 yrs . She has clocked 12000 kms. I have a question. Off late I am observing tappet noise under hard acceleration. The noise is not heard otherwise. Only when I open throttle like a maniac, the mettle tak tak voice is audible from the engine. Is it normal or there is something wrong with her?
Old 30th December 2014, 23:45   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
Is it normal or there is something wrong with her?
Ofcourse not normal; please take to ASC to get it fixed
Old 1st January 2015, 20:00   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys
I own baby ceeber since 2.5 yrs . She has clocked 12000 kms. I have a q..................e. Is it normal or there is something wrong with her?

This is present in my bike as well. Its like metal clanging sound. Bike has done 9700kms. Why does this happen?
I am also facing a problem where my front forks bottom out while hitting an uneven bump. My question is do I opt for a fork oil change with stock oil or go for something like motul?
Old 1st January 2015, 20:25   #289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron View Post
This is present in my bike as well. Its like metal clanging sound. Bike has done 9700kms. Why does this happen?
I am also facing a problem where my front forks bottom out while hitting an uneven bump. My question is do I opt for a fork oil change with stock oil or go for something like motul?
Go for motul heavy fork oil. It will make the front a bit stiff.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 16:23   #290
BHPian

Hello Fellow Riders,

I have a 2012 CBR 250R ABS and it has done 15,000 kms as on date, I'm facing a very unusual issue with both of the tires, They both are being worn out unevenly, So I have contacted the local continental tyre dealership for a FI and replacement, However they have denied stating that the vehicle is now three years old and they cant do anything about it;

So going the other way around, which tyre I can go for a replacement considering only 20% usage on highways and rest in the city traffic.

Online I'm getting the following options;
1. MRF REVZ 140/60 R17 & 150/60 R17 Will reduce the over all height
2. Metro Continental 140/70 R17 Stock Size but unsure of the service
3. Michelin Pilot Sporty 140/70 R17 No confirmed user reviews
4. Ceat Zoom XL 140/70 R17 No confirmed user reviews

Another question, How much life one can expect from the brake discs? My front disc got worn out and now have to replace it even:: Any after market options?
Old 17th August 2015, 09:28   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbk.0707 View Post
Hello Fellow Riders,

I have a 2012 CBR 250R ABS and it has done 15,000 kms as on date, I'm facing a very unusual issue with both of the tires, They both are being worn out unevenly, So I have contacted the local continental tyre dealership for a FI and replacement, However they have denied stating that the vehicle is now three years old and they cant do anything about it;

So going the other way around, which tyre I can go for a replacement considering only 20% usage on highways and rest in the city traffic.

Online I'm getting the following options;
1. MRF REVZ 140/60 R17 & 150/60 R17 Will reduce the over all height
2. Metro Continental 140/70 R17 Stock Size but unsure of the service
3. Michelin Pilot Sporty 140/70 R17 No confirmed user reviews
4. Ceat Zoom XL 140/70 R17 No confirmed user reviews

Another question, How much life one can expect from the brake discs? My front disc got worn out and now have to replace it even:: Any after market options?
1. If the tyres are wearing out unevenly, you might want to get it checked at the ASC. It might be an alignment issue.

2. You have left out the best and the most popular option - Michelin Pilot Street Radial 140/70-17. Probably, more than 50% of the CBRs are running on these. They retail around 9k a pair.

3. Rotors are generally expected to last at least a lakh Km if maintained well. If the pads are replaced appropriately when worn out and if there is no metal-to-metal contact, then the rotors don't get severely scored and worn out, definitely not at 15k.
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 14:19   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
1. If the tyres are wearing out unevenly, you might want to get it checked at the ASC. It might be an alignment issue.

2. ......
Thanks @Added_flavor, for quick response, Yes I have visited the ASC but my current location is very much deficient of good and experienced manpower, However I will visit the service center once again.

The pilot street radial is again something I had to miss because of the supply options and I cannot simply rely on the Online store as a number of manufacturers are washing their hands on the warranty part in case of supply through a online retailer.

The disc may have been damaged due to delay in the change of disc pads, I simply miscalculated the life of the pads and that led to a delay of around 200 kms, that is the cause for the damaged rotors.
Old 18th August 2015, 08:12   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbk.0707 View Post
Thanks @Added_flavor, for quick response, Yes I have visited the ASC but my current location is very much deficient of good and experienced manpower, However I will visit the service center once again.

The pilot street radial is again something I had to miss because of the supply options and I cannot simply rely on the Online store as a number of manufacturers are washing their hands on the warranty part in case of supply through a online retailer.

The disc may have been damaged due to delay in the change of disc pads, I simply miscalculated the life of the pads and that led to a delay of around 200 kms, that is the cause for the damaged rotors.
nbk,

Not related to the thread . Tried getting in touch with you , but no PM facility and you choosing not to be contacted through email (I had flagged this issue with the administrators too but no reply as yet) led to me posting on this, hoping that you'd read it. Had a few queries on CBR, you being an owner & in my vicinity. Could you call me on 25694164(O- Delhi) Alternatively a message via mail through the user cp on teambhp would do the trick.

Cheers !

Apologies for the inconvenience

Cheers !

Last edited by Ironhide : 18th August 2015 at 08:19.
Old 20th August 2015, 19:43   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys
I own baby ceeber since 2.5 yrs . She has clocked 12000 kms. I have a question. Off late I am observing tappet noise under hard acceleration. The noise is not heard otherwise. Only when I open throttle like a maniac, the mettle tak tak voice is audible from the engine. Is it normal or there is something wrong with her?
At 12000 km you're bike should have undergone shim adjustment for the valves, please ensure our is done. It was recommended by the technician at Ananda Honda, Bangalore. And you're service manual suggests the same. Also replace the oils and grease the chain after cleaning it.
Old 21st August 2015, 00:02   #295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys
Although mis-adjusted valves will make noise while the engine is running, it will be a fairly constant noise, not related to throttle position or acceleration.

The first thing to check is the chain adjustment. It should be capable of moving up and down at least 25mm when the wheels are resting on the ground. Movement in excess of 50mm indicates the chain needs adjustment and possibly replacing.

After 12,000 km (7440 miles) your engine may have developed a buildup of carbon in the cylinder head.

This build up is more likely to occur if you have ridden the motorcycle gently at low speeds on short distance trips. (Aggressive, high speed riding and operating the engine at high sustained speeds tends to burn off the carbon buildups.)

A carbon buildup in the combustion chamber will raise the engines compression ratio and pre-ignition or pinking (pinging) can be the result.
Pinking (pinging) makes a metallic ticking or knocking sound and because of its nature, it can rapidly destroy an engine if it is not prevented.
Pinking (pinging) is only noticeable when the engine is under stress, trying to accelerate. Riding at a constant speed, the noise will disappear.

Before going to the major expense and difficulty of having the engine "decarbonized", the next time your fuel tank approaches empty, refill it with the highest grade petrol you can find. You want the really high octane fuel.

If the noise greatly diminishes or disappears altogether, carbon buildup is the culprit.

If this is the case, the choice is up to you.
You can spend a lot of money having the engine rebuilt and decarbonized or, you can try a lower octane fuel (like a middle grade) and see if the problem is still gone. If it is, just switch to buying that grade of fuel.
If the problem returns with the lower grade of fuel but is gone with the high grade fuel, just keep on buying the high grade fuel.
With the high fuel mileage motorcycles get, you can ride a LONG distance for the price of a engine rebuild.

Getting to the more serious conditions that can cause ticking/knocking sounds under heavy load, piston slap, worn gudgeon pin (wrist pin) bearings and/or bad crankshaft and/or connecting rod bearings are the most likely cause.
A loose cam drive chain can also make noise but this noise is usually not dependent on the engine load.

Any of these more serious conditions should be addressed by getting the engine rebuilt.

Good luck to you and your motorcycle.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 21st August 2015 at 00:09.
Old 24th August 2015, 17:09   #296
Senior - BHPian

Guys, not sure how to clean the gunk from the alloys. Someone here had posted a way to clean the alloys but I seem to have missed it. Was it suggested to use diesel?
Old 24th August 2015, 17:15   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
..Was it suggested to use diesel?
Yep! You can use diesel (or even kerosine) to clean those stubborn grime marks and then use car shampoo to clean off the diesel.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 20:10   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, not sure how to clean the gunk from the alloys. Someone here had posted a way to clean the alloys but I seem to have missed it. Was it suggested to use diesel?
Several ways...
1. Diesel
2. Petrol; easier method will be to use it as a spray, especially in the corners
3. Gyeon Bathe+ shampoo (available at Greenzcarcare online or Bangalore), but this one need slight rubbing, not to the extent of exercising though
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 20:22   #299
BHPian

Quote:
I used Meguiar's Hot Rims wheel cleaner , but afterward read the label and it says not suitable for motorcycle wheels. There is another product by Meguiar's but the 3M outlet didn't stock it, and I haven't searched online. So I suppose diesel it is, cheap and effective.
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 22:01   #300
BHPian

I use Surf Excel. I guess any other detergent will work.
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks