Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2013, 11:57   #196
BHPian

^^^ that's so true aargee sir. That to after watching this video it becomes evident that the cbr can be happily revved above 8k rpm all day long . Proud of cbr 250 :-)
Old 26th March 2013, 14:57   #197
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post

12mm for the engine oil drain bolt; 8mm for the engine oil filter cover. If possible have a spare engine oil gasket cover though it might not be needed.
Err, I was referring to the brake housing - to remove the pads.

Apologies accepted though
Old 26th March 2013, 17:10   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Err, I was referring to the brake housing - to remove the pads.
Brake housing? What is brake housing? Pls show some pics or are you referring to the brake calipers? If it's caliper kit, then yes, 14mm socket.
Old 26th March 2013, 17:21   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Brake housing? What is brake housing? Pls show some pics or are you referring to the brake calipers? If it's caliper kit, then yes, 14mm socket.
Yes, brake calipers. Well, I have a 14 mm socket and it doesn't fit.
Old 29th March 2013, 21:48   #200
BHPian

@aargee:- had few questions, tried searching few of them

1. Which Radiator coolant do you use? Is Honda's coolant one better or a different one, i do remember somebody posting a Pic of a Motul coolant. Any suggestions and cost of it?
2. How many times have you change your chain and your chain sprocket?
3. The stock handle bar ends, do they really do their job by absorbing the road vibrations? or a aftermarket would be better?
4. Have you or any member here anytime used IRC tyre? How many kms Zapper is till on?
5. How is the radiator, do you see any wear or tear yet for the kms you have run?
6. The stock airfilter, how long did the first one last you or are you still running on the same?
7. Now that i got my hands on Petronas 10w40 fully synthetic, normally ive noticed honda oil only lasts about 4000 km and then it gets rough and etc. The Oil filter, can it be run for 6-7000 km? or how would one notice that its time to change.
Old 31st March 2013, 10:24   #201
Senior - BHPian

No offense, but easy to track when answering point by point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosfreak View Post
Which Radiator coolant do you use? Is Honda's coolant one better or a different one, i do remember somebody posting a Pic of a Motul coolant. Any suggestions and cost of it?
I'm using stock coolant for nearly two years, I'd replaced it only once in the last 47K km, but will be replacing for every 15K km going forward for no specific reason, may be paranoid. As you may already know, I've been riding properly during peak bone melting summers to cool (not cold) Winters & monsoons; no troubles so far. I'm not discarding Motul or any other coolant type, but, I would like to spend my money else where.

Quote:
2. How many times have you change your chain and your chain sprocket?
4, but you can actually count 3; the one that Rolon supplied was absolutely crap

Quote:
3. The stock handle bar ends, do they really do their job by absorbing the road vibrations? or a aftermarket would be better?
Sorry, I don't know about this one. I tend to assume that they do the job

Quote:
4. Have you or any member here anytime used IRC tyre? How many kms Zapper is till on?
IRC Zapper? I thought Zapper was MRF's product. Pls clarify

Quote:
5. How is the radiator, do you see any wear or tear yet for the kms you have run?
Wear & tear on radiator? Pls educate me, I don't know how a radiator is prone to wear & tear.

Quote:
6. The stock airfilter, how long did the first one last you or are you still running on the same?
47K on ODO, owner's manual says replace every 12K km, do you think I should be using the first one till now ?

Quote:
7. Now that i got my hands on Petronas 10w40 fully synthetic... would one notice that its time to change.
Don't think so; I've personally used HMSI's 10W30 for 5890 Km & the engine oil was still looking good. After searching for so many engine oils, I finally found Shell 10W40 Advanced Ultra is simply worth every paisa I pay for. It's superior to Motul 7100 10W40 & Motul 300V Factoryline 10W40.

Per owner's manual I guess it's 12K km for engine oil filter change

If you can be specific about Petronas 10W40 fully synthetic? It will help me to compare Shell & Petronas & if found superior, I can switch to Petronas. Tks

Nosfreak saar - to answer all your questions in one sentence...just stick with service interval of owner's manual & DO NOT take anything lightly (including fuel filter etc). If you're replacing anything earlier than recommended interval, nothing wrong in it, just that it's waste of money. For instance, I replace airfilter every 6K against 12K as Chennai is way too dusty & these days I'm contemplating to change for every 3-4K. The filter gets tard dirty by 6K. Hope you got the point & let me know if you need anything more to be elaborated. Tks

Last edited by aargee : 31st March 2013 at 10:30.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2013, 10:44   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Yes, brake calipers. Well, I have a 14 mm socket and it doesn't fit.
Aaha!!! Ok, unless your's is an ABS, 12mm is a perfect fit; see the pic I took for you just now...
Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-img_2084.jpg
Old 31st March 2013, 15:31   #203
BHPian

Helooo..
Recently acquired a 2011 Sept CBR ABS with 2000kms on the odo.
Found the listing right here in our classified section. More on the entire purchase process later. I have thoroughly gone through all the CBR250r related threads here on the forum and its been a lot of information to process. Slowly & steadily absorbing all the information. A Big Thanks to all veteran & newbie owners for posting their experiences and queries on the forum.

I have a few queries.
1) The oil level indicator on the bike indicates oil is slightly on the lower side. I have checked the oil after riding for a good 15mins. Can I just top up the oil on my own or change the oil completely.

2)The bike was purchased from venetian honda in borivali how good is their A.S.S? Have read mixed reviews about it.

3) There is a slight clunkiness while shifting gears, now being a zma owner i remember i had to face the same problem which was sorted after switching to semi synthetic oil and some setting by the Fortpoint A.S.S. The clutch has some play in it, is this normal? Manual says there has to be some play of few mm.

4) The radiator fins half of them seem bent and other half straight. Not sure if it was sprayed on directly with a water hose or rubbed with a cloth. Did not notice it when purchasing the bike. Can someone post a pic of a radiator.

5) While browsing through some articles there was a mention of a remapped ECU on the 2012 models http://www.motorbeam.com/bikes/honda...-2012-cbr250r/. Is this true?

Thanks
Old 31st March 2013, 15:50   #204
BHPian

Quote:

4, but you can actually count 3; the one that Rolon supplied was absolutely crap
Oh Yes, i do remember you posting about Rolon chain kit, at what intervals though?

Quote:
IRC Zapper? I thought Zapper was MRF's product. Pls clarify
Sorry, my bad. I was asking aout PSD's and IRC Zapper, if my guess is right you are using IRC.

Quote:
Wear & tear on radiator? Pls educate me, I don't know how a radiator is prone to wear & tear.
Well i know its not prone to wear and tear, i couldn't find the right word for it. Basically what i meant the fins often keep bending up even after maintaining it, keeping it away from high pressure water and etc. Or is there anyway that one would know the radiator's life is coming to its end or something?

Quote:
47K on ODO, owner's manual says replace every 12K km, do you think I should be using the first one till now ?
Well i keep checking the airfilter myself every 5000 kms and have noticed a lot of sticky muck on it, often keep taking off the dirt with a screwdriver or brush to remove the dirt. I was thinking of fitting K&N replacement filter, i think its comes for some rs 4000 and above as i already have the cleaning kit myself.

Quote:
Don't think so; I've personally used HMSI's 10W30 for 5890 Km & the engine oil was still looking good. After searching for so many engine oils, I finally found Shell 10W40 Advanced Ultra is simply worth every paisa I pay for. It's superior to Motul 7100 10W40 & Motul 300V Factoryline 10W40.

If you can be specific about Petronas 10W40 fully synthetic? It will help me to compare Shell & Petronas & if found superior, I can switch to Petronas. Tks
Actually till date i have only used HMSI 10w30, however i noticed that every 4-5000kms the bike gets really rough, looses pickup, notice more vibrations and etc. Hence was wanting to know. This would be my first time that i would be using Petronas since its quite rare to find them here. I have heard and read about Shell's and Motul, where Shell being the best among the lot. Shall report Petronas once i have switched onto it. I think i can still run about 1,500 kms more on my ride.

Quote:
Nosfreak saar - to answer all your questions in one sentence...just stick with service interval of owner's manual & DO NOT take anything lightly (including fuel filter etc). If you're replacing anything earlier than recommended interval, nothing wrong in it, just that it's waste of money. For instance, I replace airfilter every 6K against 12K as Chennai is way too dusty & these days I'm contemplating to change for every 3-4K. The filter gets tard dirty by 6K. Hope you got the point & let me know if you need anything more to be elaborated. Tks
Thanks for replying to my post, i do stick to the service manual, however i ask these questions since our ride being the first batch the quality is not as great as the new one's that came out. About oil filter, same here i have basically replaced everytime i have serviced my ride. (5-6kms). Altogether i have finished 4 service intervals till date. 24,232 kms currently. This time will be servicing it on my own (Just oil, oil filter etc.).
P.S : One last thing i did forget to ask, Have you changed your spark plug anytime?
Old 31st March 2013, 16:11   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh Yes, i do remember you posting about Rolon chain kit, at what intervals though?
Rolon around 10K, but the I take the moral responsibility to have damaged the stock one; next at 22K, next at 37K

Quote:
Sorry, my bad. I was asking aout PSD's and IRC Zapper, if my guess is right you are using IRC
Stock - Conti - MRF & next will be Dunlop

Quote:
Well i know its not prone...radiator's life is coming to its end or something?
My CBR is untouched by anyone at ASC barring the CBR trained mechanic himself; I mention in the JC asking not to water wash the CBR. And my fins are not bent

Quote:
Well i keep checking...and above as i already have the cleaning kit myself
ok

Quote:
Shall report Petronas once i have switched onto it. I think i can still run about 1,500 kms more on my ride
No, pls post the pic of the container or provide a link

Quote:
P.S : One last thing i did forget to ask, Have you changed your spark plug anytime?
Yes at 22K & found it was absolutely unnecessary
Old 3rd April 2013, 16:30   #206
BHPian

Just got a Black CBR 250R STD. This thread has been very helpful. I feel well educated about the bike. For example, I would have never thought about things like being careful while giving the bike for a wash at the ASC because of the radiator fins and so on.

Thanks aargee and everyone else who have been constantly contributing to this thread.
Old 3rd April 2013, 18:45   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobojames9 View Post
Just got a Black CBR 250R STD. This thread has been very helpful. I feel well educated about the bike. For example, I would have never thought about things like being careful while giving the bike for a wash at the ASC because of the radiator fins and so on.

Thanks aargee and everyone else who have been constantly contributing to this thread.
Congratulations on your acquisition. Wish you a great ownership experience.

Follow the run-in procedure and please remember, the ownership manual is Bible when it comes to your motorcycle. Although, needless to say since you follow this thread.
Old 3rd April 2013, 19:21   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron View Post
I have a few queries.
1) The oil level indicator on the bike indicates oil is slightly on the lower side. I have checked the oil after riding for a good 15mins. Can I just top up the oil on my own or change the oil completely.
You can top it up by yourself.

Quote:
3) There is a slight clunkiness while shifting gears, now being a zma owner i remember i had to face the same problem which was sorted after switching to semi synthetic oil and some setting by the Fortpoint A.S.S. The clutch has some play in it, is this normal? Manual says there has to be some play of few mm.
Clutch has few mm play.

Quote:
4) The radiator fins half of them seem bent and other half straight. Not sure if it was sprayed on directly with a water hose or rubbed with a cloth. Did not notice it when purchasing the bike. Can someone post a pic of a radiator.
You are right probably sprayed direct water. Next time when you leave for service ask them to straight the fins carefully.

Quote:
5) While browsing through some articles there was a mention of a remapped ECU on the 2012 models http://www.motorbeam.com/bikes/honda...-2012-cbr250r/. Is this true?
Simply, not true
rk_sans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2013, 14:03   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
You can top it up by yourself.

Clutch has few mm play.

You are right probably sprayed direct water. Next time when you leave for service ask them to straight the fins carefully.

Simply, not true
rk_sans. Thanks for your replies.
I did top up the oil with Honda's FS Throttle, which i got after searching a bit.
The engine tends to loose its smoothness when it heats up in stop n go traffic rush hour traffic. The temp bar stays at 3 though.
Shifting from 1 to 2 sometimes slots it into neutral like a false neutral.
Will be going in for a full service soon. Hope to sort out these niggling issues and go for a long ride!
Old 11th April 2013, 19:14   #210
BHPian

Went for a major service last week. The first set of rear brake pads were changed last time at 158xx kms, along with the chain-sprocket kit. This time changed the first set of front pads at 17002 kms. Other things that were changed included fork oil, clutch friction plates, engine oil, air filter, one side fairing and engine head gasket. Will put up the detailed list tomorrow.
The bike feels definitely better now. Although, with the front tyre almost gone (good for another 3k at best) I take corners with a bit of caution.

P.S. First puncture! Rear tyre, at 168xx on the ODO. Thank God for tubeless tyres.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks