Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2014, 02:12   #856
Senior - BHPian

Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Lol thanks bro. You (and Ram) of all people know exactly what's next.
So you found a Ninja 250 that was begging to be ridden hard as the previous owner used her only as a conversation piece & you decided to be her knight in shining helmet?
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 10:28   #857
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Doc. All good things come to an end eventually. But a consolation about this end is is that some other good thing is soon going to happen in your life Anyway I can relate and my thoughts are with you.
Lets hope the wait is not too long. Till then got the covers of Doppie off. Dry fuel tank. Not a drop of oil on the dipstick. Battery completely discharged. Tyres nearly flat. Gave her a nice wash, ordered engine and clutch oil which came last evening. Gave the battery for charging last evening. Now today we will put in some petrol and fire her up. After nearly 6 months. Fingers and toes crossed. Will be great to ride my original sweetheart again after such a long hiatus! My youngest daughter too is looking forward to her favorite bike up and running again so that she can have her rides on it (for some reason she was terrified of the Duke .....).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
So you found a Ninja 250 that was begging to be ridden hard as the previous owner used her only as a conversation piece & you decided to be her knight in shining helmet?
Not yet bro.

None of the Ninjas seen have lived as garage queens or conversation pieces. Some have frankly been abused. And seeing as the Ninja has a dial type analog odo, by the condition of some of the bikes, and their tyres (either original or replacements), its pretty obvious to an old hand that many have had their clocks pushed back. Cheating amongst bikers is really sad.

The search is on .....

Last edited by ebonho : 1st July 2014 at 10:41.
Old 1st July 2014, 16:29   #858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
None of the Ninjas seen have lived as garage queens or conversation pieces.

Cheating amongst bikers is really sad.

The search is on .....
Patience doc. You will surely get there. A pity though as you have quite a few such examples here in Delhi. In fact; I was at the service center recently to get the front sprocket replacement for my 390. A black Ninja was lying in a corner, fairings et al removed. I enquired if the owner had crashed the Ninjette and what sort of damage it suffered, including the cost to fix it.

The bike was actually there because it had not been ridden for ages. The injectors were choked and had to be replaced. Cost - Rs 8000 plus some other misc. work.

On a sidenote, I sat on the bike and was immediately at home with the seating position. So much comfier than the Duke. Its not as committed and is actually not at all stressfull. And there's a slight ridge on the tank that lets you lock your knees and will be so great whilst hanging off.

I love my Duke but always wish for more space. I am 5ft. 11" and feel a bit cramped. Its very apparent when I change gears. I am always wearing knee pads over my jeans or riding pants with knee armour built in. Every time I try to move my foot over the gear lever, the flare on the tank gets in the way. I then have to move my knee a bit towards the outside to gain some room, which reduces the purchase I have with the tank. Just that one extra inch of room would have made a world of difference.

May I ask how tall you are doc and if you ever faced the above issue?

And if the search is turning out to be futile; why not a 390 with that exhaust you spoke about on the other thread? Even the stock 390 blows the Ninjette out of the water when it comes to acceleration. The one with the aftermarket exhaust is crazier still.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 16:57   #859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Patience doc.
In bike deals I am patience personified. Which is probably one of the reasons I always get the price I demand. The other being my bikes are worth it, and I never link my next purchase to the money I get from my sale.

Quote:
The injectors were choked and had to be replaced. Cost - Rs 8000 plus some other misc. work.
The Ninja is a pricey bike. To buy as well as to maintain.

Since I am bored after a pretty stressful day, let me regale you with some of the background research I have been doing on the Ninja and its part prices ......

RVMs 3000 (x2)
Windscreen 6700
Front Fairing 11000
Side Fairing 15000 (x2)
Rear side cowl 2300 (x2)
Front Mudguard 6200
Rear mudguard 2000
Exhaust - outer black cover 6000
Indicators 1700 (x4)
Hand levers 700 (x2)
Foot Lever - Gear 1500
Foot Lever - Brake 3000
Front Footrest 600 (x2)
Rear Footrest 1600 (x2)
Forkseals (with oil + labour) 1000 (x2)
Handlebar 3500 (x2)
Seat Front 7000
Seat Rear 6600
Battery 9500 (ouch!)
Clutch Plates 3000
Chain Sprocket 12000 (double ouch!)
Brake Pads 1700 (x2)
Oil Filter 400
Spark Plug 400
Air Filter 1000
Headlight Bulb 1800 (x2) (woah!)
Tyre Front 6000
Tyre Rear 8600
Wheel Front 28500 (WTH!)
Wheel Rear 30500 (more WTH!)
Rear Monoshock 20000 (super ouch!)
Petrol Tank 22500 (close the hatches, we have a winner!)

Quote:
Its not as committed and is actually not at all stressfull.
I found it very uncomfortable/unatural once earlier in my Bullet days about 4-5 years ago. Recently, coming off two years on a Duke, I found it actually good, intuitive, relaxed. Its a big bike. Feels and handles like one. And yes, there is space on it

Quote:
I am 180 cms bro. Just under 6 feet. The Duke and its gearbox are like second nature to me. Pleasure personified.

Quote:
And if the search is turning out to be futile; why not a 390 with that exhaust you spoke about on the other thread? Even the stock 390 blows the Ninjette out of the water when it comes to acceleration. The one with the aftermarket exhaust is crazier still.
Nothing is futile. Just takes time and effort.

The 390 for me is always going to be a bigger 200. No sense in jumping off a 200 on to a 390. Might as well try out something completely different. Without breaking the bank. The one 650 I had my eyes on for some time, the owner is not selling immediately. I do not want to buy a used unknown 650. And I do not want to wait. There's nothing else in the market I want to buy right now, or expected in the very near (predicted) future.

And I can put a pipe on a 250 as well ..... with a filter and race tuned imported ECU. This bike has been around for 25 years now, largely unchanged. There must be a ton of tried and tested go-faster mods off the shelves already available for it internationally. Plus it has a much bigger fuel tank as well - hope to reduce my fuel stops as well.

But honestly speaking, I find the stock bike and the stock exhaust just perfect as they are. In fact I like the sound from the cockpit of the exhaust as you blip the throttle and throttle up. Don't need anything extra besides maybe some sliders.

Last edited by ebonho : 1st July 2014 at 17:20.
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 17:27   #860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.. I am always wearing knee pads over my jeans or riding pants with knee armour built in. Every time I try to move my foot over the gear lever, the flare on the tank gets in the way. I then have to move my knee a bit towards the outside to gain some room, which reduces the purchase I have with the tank. Just that one extra inch of room would have made a world of difference.

That flare of the tank usually causes this issue for me as well as other Duke owners too. Especially with not so snug fitting pads like Cramster. I will either slide further back on to the rear seat hump or keep the balls of my feet on pegs while on cruising mode.

Quote:
RVMs 3000 (x2)
Windscreen 6700
Front Fairing 11000
Side Fairing 15000 (x2)
Rear side cowl 2300 (x2)
Front Mudguard 6200
Rear mudguard 2000
Indicators 1700 (x4)
Hand levers 700 (x2)
Petrol Tank 22500 (close the hatches, we have a winner!)
Quite a price list especially coming from a Royal Enfield and a Duke, ain't it?? To add to this jaw dropping price list, parts availability problem needs to be mentioned too. IN BOLD!

Quote:
The 390 for me is always going to be a bigger 200. No sense in jumping off a 200 on to a 390. Might as well try out something completely different. Without breaking the bank.
+1 Doc. Life is too short to spend on one type of bike alone. I share the same thoughts. My first was a 'so-called' cruiser, then currently an unforgiving street fighter and my next thing will be a bike a crouched riding position which is also smooth like melted butter and a fairing. Lets see how the world without wind blast is! Currently, I am bowled over by the Honda CBR650F!
Old 1st July 2014, 17:40   #861
BHPian

Quote:
I have been doing on the Ninja and its part prices ......

RVMs 3000 (x2)
Windscreen 6700
Front Fairing 11000
Side Fairing 15000 (x2)
Rear side cowl 2300 (x2)
Front Mudguard 6200
Rear mudguard 2000
Indicators 1700 (x4)
Hand levers 700 (x2)
Foot Lever - Gear 1500
Foot Lever - Brake 3000
Front Footrest 600 (x2)
Rear Footrest 1600 (x2)
Forkseals (with oil + labour) 1000 (x2)
Handlebar 3500 (x2)
Seat Front 7000
Seat Rear 6600
Battery 9500 (ouch!)
Clutch Plates 3000
Chain Sprocket 12000 (double ouch!)
Brake Pads 1700 (x2)
Oil Filter 400
If i had done as much due diligence I would never have traded my D390 for N300 !
Old 1st July 2014, 19:26   #862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
That flare of the tank usually causes this issue for me as well as other Duke owners too. Especially with not so snug fitting pads like Cramster. I will either slide further back on to the rear seat hump or keep the balls of my feet on pegs while on cruising mode
Its a big pain. The footpegs are too far behind. More than they need to be IMO. I am thinking of adding an inch to the seat height, along with making it less forward - pitchy. This should give me some extra room

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Currently, I am bowled over by the Honda CBR650F!
Me too! Any idea when this is expected to be launched? Estimated pricing? Guesstimates are between 6 and 7 lac INR.

My only concern would be the quality control. Strange I know, for a Honda. But the initial lot of 250s had more than one issue and the overall build quality was quite poor. Is it gonna be manufactured in India or assembled only?

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 1st July 2014 at 19:29.
Old 1st July 2014, 19:39   #863
Team-BHP Support

Maybe I have skipped this bit from you and you sure must have replied, but the inquisitive lot we are, why not the D-390?
Old 2nd July 2014, 07:32   #864
Senior - BHPian

Sheel, your answer below from the very same thread where Doc has put his view about the D-390.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Maybe I have skipped this bit from you and you sure must have replied, but the inquisitive lot we are, why not the D-390?

Quote:
The 390 for me is always going to be a bigger 200. No sense in jumping off a 200 on to a 390. Might as well try out something completely different. Without breaking the bank.
abhinav.s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 08:07   #865
Team-BHP Support

Yup, I think I read this. But because of lack of options I think he would be giving it a shot.
Old 2nd July 2014, 08:53   #866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
let me regale you with some of the background research I have been doing on the Ninja and its part prices
Add Oil dip stick. Official part price Rs. 3400. How do I know the cost? Cause it was stolen from a colleagues motorcycle. He finally imported one from Thailand for Rs. 2000. Most of the 2K was for shipping. Another reason for importing was to get the part faster. Sourced from the link:

http://tyga-performance.com/site/

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 2nd July 2014 at 08:56.
Old 2nd July 2014, 11:22   #867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Yup, I think I read this. But because of lack of options I think he would be giving it a shot.
Well, its true that there is a serious lack of options for a small quarter liter class twin in India.

That said, the Ninjette has ruled this class all over the world for well over the better part of a quarter century - even with options. Its a thoroughbred. And from what I've heard from a lot of owners who've owned both, its built a lot better than the bigger 650. Don't know why.

So yes and no.

Yes there are no other options. No I'm not looking at the Ninjette because there are no other options. But because I genuinely want to try my hand at one.

Why not the D390 I've already answered earlier (even though you are getting less than or just about a year old machines for the same asking price as 4 year old Ninjas which have run a bit more on the clock). Extend that forward to the RC390 due to come as well. The CBR250R just does not pull at any strings for me. Ditto the Inazuma. Bullets I have had more than enough of, so CON GT no thank you. Good affordable bang for buck motorcycling bikes, but no to all Pulsars as well. The Yam 250 is more likely than not going to be a 28 odd bhp single for India. The Duke 690 is at least a couple of years away. If at all. The Honda 650 will be too big too heavy not very powerful and pretty expensive. And I do not generally like Hondas - no offense to anyone. The naked Kawa 650 could be an interesting option down the line as a toss up with the Duke 690 (if that price is ridiculous).

So I do not see anything earth shattering or game changing in the next two year window. So the used clean well kept low miles relatively new (2011 better than 2010) Ninjette looks to me at least as the best bang for buck next-2-year stop gap upgrade for me at the present moment. As to why not a used 650 now (over a used 250) - well a used 250 I am getting for change over what I will put in from my Duke. The used 650 on the other hand requires serious money (2 lacs plus) over my Duke money. So unless I really know the bike and the owner very well, that does not make sense to me. Especially as I would be in the market again in 2 year's time - and then I would lose a lot more selling the 650 compared to the 250 (in terms of capital erosion).

Hope that answers your question!

Last edited by ebonho : 2nd July 2014 at 11:28.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 14:04   #868
BHPian

My D-200 is up for 15K service, I heard that they will be changing the coolant as well for 15K service.

I wanted to know what is the stock coolant being used (I presume its motul) I was also toying with the idea of using Engine Ice, any suggestions on this.
Old 2nd July 2014, 14:45   #869
Team-BHP Support

I am waiting for Yamaha to come out with R25 and see what specs it is carrying wrt its price. Power to price ratio.

Read a lot about CB 650/F, Honda has lowered its potential by giving it a steel frame. Agree it would still be a lot for us, but although I love wringing my CBR 250, it was a pleasure to ride the R15 because of its chassis. Cornering isn't the same and I am not a very good rider to exploit the limit of the CBR like I used to on the R15. I miss R15 then. CBR makes up with its ride, but still...

This is why, I am on fence. For me, as of now N-300 appears sweet. If they add ABS and wish it was at ~3 OTR. But then, if nothing viable comes, I might go for the N-300R.

I am not looking at 2xx kmph speed or 4 sec 0-100 timing. I want an involving bike with sharp brakes and very good handling. That is it.

Sorry for rant
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 14:53   #870
Distinguished - BHPian

Doc, is the 390 adventure coming up or no? So much news everywhere, and all of a sudden it looks like a mirage.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks