Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2014, 14:35   #826
BHPian

Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Thanks Joxter. Idling is one thing. But have you actually shut down and restarted the bike yourself while it was submerged in water? That would be great to know. Am sure that is a major consideration for those looking to replace the OE system with an aftermarket "performance" exhaust and still wanting this unique submersibility.
Yes doc, I have tried it on my own bike when we took a ride to a lake on the outskirts here. Rode the bike in till knee deep water, switched it off and left it for about 10 minutes, then went back to start it up, and it started up with no issues, and I rode it out of the water

I can't vouch for that same capability with an aftermarket performance exhaust that has a decline in angle, but for the OE exhaust system, I can definitely vouch for its capability under water.

Three cheers to KTM for the technology in this bike!

OT: On another note Doc, wanted to check something else with you, in case you had some knowledge about it. I recently stumbled across a video of KTM Duke 200 in Malaysia, where the guy has done some modifications on his bike, which increase the top speed of the bike to 160+. Have posted the link below. Was wondering if you have any idea of how he might have done it. Could it be a simple unlocking of the ECU? Or would some kind of performance parts be needed to achieve this?

Mods - I have not posted this video to encourage any kind of racing, but to show the speed being achieved on the speedo. It looks like a Highway ride from what I can see, so didn't think it would be a problem. Please remove this link if found to be inappropriate.

Thanks

Last edited by Joxster : 22nd May 2014 at 14:42.
Joxster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 14:43   #827
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
Yes doc, I have tried it on my own bike when we took a ride to a lake on the outskirts here. Rode the bike in till knee deep water, switched it off and left it for about 10 minutes, then went back to start it up, and it started up with no issues, and I rode it out of the water

I can't vouch for that same capability with an aftermarket performance exhaust that has a decline in angle, but for the OE exhaust system, I can definitely vouch for its capability under water.

Three cheers to KTM for the technology in this bike!
That's one of the main reasons I would never consider an after market exhaust to replace the OE system on Baby Duke. Nor any ECU fiddling come to think of it. I really think we would be hard pressed to improve on something tuned by the Austrian wizzes at KTM.

P.S. Yes I have seen the same video a couple of times some time back. He claims just sprocketing. But I highly doubt it. Lovely road no?

Last edited by ebonho : 22nd May 2014 at 14:48.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 15:39   #828
BHPian

Quote:
P.S. Yes I have seen the same video a couple of times some time back. He claims just sprocketing. But I highly doubt it. Lovely road no?
I don't believe that just changing the sprocket would increase the top speed of the bike, being that it is limited by the ECU to 140 kmph. Either they don't have a limiter on the Duke 200s there, or he has unlocked it for sure. My real doubt was whether simply unlocking the ECU could push the top speed up by that much, which is where the sprocket comes in maybe.

Lovely road indeed
Old 26th May 2014, 14:31   #829
Senior - BHPian

All good things must come to an end. And new beginings take their place.

Its been a fantastic adrenaline packed journey with Baby Duke 222. And I would love to keep her for those (frequent) hooligan mood swings I am deliciously prone to.

But the mundane common sense practicalities of life catch up with us. And as the itch (call it mid bike boredom if you wish) to try my hand at a new bigger more powerful and different calss of bike grows, I find myself sadly making the sensible decision.

So Baby Duke 222, the last of her breed, the unfettered un-neutered original orange hooligan, is for sale.

I know I will watch her go with a twinge of regret and sadness. But I know she will continue burning the road as she has always done. Because some teens never become adults.
ebonho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th May 2014, 21:57   #830
BHPian

Quote:
All good things must come to an end. And new beginings take their place.

Its been a fantastic adrenaline packed journey with Baby Duke 222. And I would love to keep her for those (frequent) hooligan mood swings I am deliciously prone to.

But the mundane common sense practicalities of life catch up with us. And as the itch (call it mid bike boredom if you wish) to try my hand at a new bigger more powerful and different calss of bike grows, I find myself sadly making the sensible decision.

So Baby Duke 222, the last of her breed, the unfettered un-neutered original orange hooligan, is for sale.

I know I will watch her go with a twinge of regret and sadness. But I know she will continue burning the road as she has always done. Because some teens never become adults.
Doc, your thread was undoubtedly the most informative and detailed one on this forum for the Duke 200! Thank you for sharing your immense knowledge on this bike with noobs like me, as it has given me greater confidence with the ownership bit

Not to hijack your thread, but I have been considering an upgrade too, but not just yet. Thinking of buying a four wheeler first.

Wish you all the best with buying your next crotch rocket, and I sincerely hope that this one finds a good owner.

Looking forward to the new ownership thread with your next monster

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2014, 13:24   #831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Damn! That came in as a surprise!! But I can very well understand the feeling behind it..

So. Whats next Doc?
Old 27th May 2014, 14:12   #832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Damn! That came in as a surprise!! But I can very well understand the feeling behind it..

So. Whats next Doc?
No idea yet. I'd prefer to start looking once I have the cash in hand.

Though I've been checking out OLX for sparingly used Ninja 250s at sensible prices.

Or maybe the Ninja 650 - though I find it too heavy and bulky for my riding style. Though I guess its a matter of getting used to the bike. But I'm not really convinced, and leaning more towards a 250 for now (as my 1-2 year time frame "fill in the boredom blank" stop-gap bike till something really nice and 600+ cc comes along which I really want to buy brand new).

Till then Baby Duke still gets ridden hard. A fantastic ride to Malshej this weekend with riders from 4 cities - Mumbai, Pune, Nagar, Aurangabad (Greaseballs). Loads of sbk's and Baby Duke really was the baby there. But she did well and held her own against bikes 6 times bigger ..... I just love her man. Small bike with a HUGE heart!

Last edited by ebonho : 27th May 2014 at 14:14.
Old 27th May 2014, 14:42   #833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Though I've been checking out OLX for sparingly used Ninja 250s at sensible prices.

Or maybe the Ninja 650 - though I find it too heavy and bulky for my riding style. Though I guess its a matter of getting used to the bike.
I have seen some 300s in OLX for 3.5-3.8Ls. Not sure if they are worth so much. Any reason for not considering the 300s?

650 is a good option. Yes, the hooliganism factor will be sorely missed, but have heard that the power delivery with that bulk is so addictive and there are many good ones available for 4-4.5Ls. In that case you will not suffer much from depreciation even if you sell it.
Old 27th May 2014, 14:51   #834
Senior - BHPian

This came as a surprise, Doc. Hope your bike finds a passionate owner.

Thank you for making this 'The' Duke 200 thread in Team-BHP.

Is there any chance to get the 2014 updates (ABS, bigger front disc) for Indian Dukes too?

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 27th May 2014 at 14:54.
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2014, 15:43   #835
Senior - BHPian

Some photos of the 400 odd km ride from Pune to Malshej Ghat this weekend. Some amazing twisties of beautifully surfaced tarmac. What a pleasure it was riding them, duking it out on the tail of a 1200 cc 130 BHP Aprilia Dorsoduro (what a lovely bike man ..... 19 Lacs sigh!). And suddenly taking a sweeping corner and coming into a vista of stony peaks covered with cluds and actual mist and fog ..... smack dab in the middle of end of May peak summer. BLISS!!!!!

Early morning tea break

KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!-img20140527wa0002.jpg

KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!-img20140527wa0003.jpg

Line up of bikes at MTDC Mashej. There was a Aprilia Dorsoduro, a BMW K1300R, some other big Honda super tourer, a Suzuki DR650, a KTM Duke 390, and tons of Ninja 650s. And yes, Baby Duke 222 as well.

KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!-img20140527wa0004.jpg

KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!-img20140527wa0005.jpg

The super yummy Aprilia Dorsoduro

KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!-img20140527wa0006.jpg

Gorgeous vistas .... a month from now it will be even more gorgeous and green, with a million waterfalls (and fat bellied uncles in chaddis on the roads with too much beer inside and in general making a nuisance of themselves for one and all ..... sigh)

KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!-img20140527wa0007.jpg

KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!-img20140527wa0008.jpg

KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!-img20140527wa0009.jpg

A close friend's (another ex Bulleteer who's moved on ....) 650 which he has lightened by shedding all the superfluous plastic flab for the kind of touring he does in th mountains. He can now transport the bike by train without worying about the loaders damaging expensive (and fragile) plastics. As well as bash over rocks with less care.

KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!-img20140524wa0001.jpg

KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!-img20140524wa0002.jpg

KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!-img20140524wa0003.jpg

KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!-img20140524wa0004.jpg

Its still a work in progress. He's fashioning a bash plate and engine-radiator cage now. He also has locally made hard panniers (in which he can carry around 24 liters of fuel to go off the beaten track ..... though at around 200-250 kms a tankful, can't go too way off either!)

Last edited by ebonho : 27th May 2014 at 16:01.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2014, 07:23   #836
Senior - BHPian

Doc, though this was expected sometime in future, it came as a surprise that it was so soon! Thanks to your frequent updates and your help on PM's which were instrumental in me getting a D200. All the best for your next purchase. Do keep us updated on what its going to be.

Nice to see the Baby Duke 222 holding her own with the big bikes. The 650 seems interesting. Would love to see it once the works are fully completed.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2014, 15:40   #837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Doc, though this was expected sometime in future, it came as a surprise that it was so soon!
Its actually not so soon bro. Its been 2 years now. Time flies. But with 3 bikes (including my stint testing the 390), and 2 cars (including my Storme), during that time, she stayed low miles.

She's still a hoot to ride. But with my closest friends getting the 390 and the 650, I need something that would help me on the straights. The twisties she still rocks!

Quote:
Thanks to your frequent updates and your help on PM's which were instrumental in me getting a D200. All the best for your next purchase. Do keep us updated on what its going to be.
Absolutely. This thread was as much fun for me as it was to you guys.

Quote:
Nice to see the Baby Duke 222 holding her own with the big bikes.
Depends on the road and the traffic. And the riders of course. But the fun of a 200 (any 200, not just mine) is that you are ALWAYS at 300% on it. Be it playing the gears, or on the brakes, or on the throttle, or swinging her (actually throwing her is more apt from what my friends tell me ) from side to side. She is like a really light and nippy toy. One you cannot get tired of. One which is always going to be fun.
Old 2nd June 2014, 18:48   #838
Senior - BHPian

After weighing the options and my priorities, have decided to bite the bullet and book D 200. Thank you for this thread, doc - this really helped me to make the choice.

Is there any point in trying to haggle with the showroom, of is it impossible to get any deals on Duke? I will most probably buying the bike from BTM layout showroom.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2014, 11:08   #839
Senior - BHPian

No I don't think you can negotiate on Bajaj products. They already come pre-negotiated to you (i.e. value for money wise)!

Glad I could help. It's one hell of a machine. The best I've ridden in a long long time (and I include the 390 in that).
Old 3rd June 2014, 17:46   #840
Senior - BHPian

Got the news that the Duke prices have increased with effect from today morning. The new on road price at Bangalore is 156369 (old price was 153827).

I know there is not much hope, but still - I am buying a bike which is already in stock (as per the dealer, the stock arrived last week), so is there any valid arguments which I can use to get the bike on the old price?

One KTM dealer told me that the handle guards from KTM 390 is a straight fit on 200, but the dealer from where I plan to buy is saying that I have to change the end weights - any idea if the dealer is taking me for a ride? (I have not seen them in person yet, will check out the end weights and the shield when I go for booking the bike)

--Anoop

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks