Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2012, 11:16   #616
Senior - BHPian

Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

@ebonho : Do you know any dual sport tyres available for Duke that are a little higher profile compared to stock?
Old 19th November 2012, 10:44   #617
BHPian

@Partha: In my opinion, keeping the revs high in any gear and not upshifting until it is really required keeps the duke going quick and smooth. I've been doing this since day one, and am happy all the time Drop the revs even a little in a lower gear, and the massive engine braking just cuts in and destroys any chance of smooth riding. Of course, the engine braking is very useful when you actually want to cut speed, but in almost every other situation, I'm always trying to keep the revs high, the shifts superfast, and the ride smooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
So sriku i followed your advice today and kept revving almost till 9k rpm before shifting. My god it was a scary experience. Now I can happily say my bike performs just like the test ride bike in showroom.
@Doc: I'm not sure if Shumi's ECU was remapped before the seizure. That being said, it seems like the coolant and engine oil somehow managed to meet and have a party in the engine block, resulting in catastrophic seizure. Not sure how the re-map could cause this, I guess it was some leaky pipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Yup, I'm sure these seizures had a lot to do with getting the new re-map for the early KTMs.
sriku is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 12:01   #618
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
the massive engine braking
The engine braking on the 200 is actually not that strong IMHO (I am comparing to my 4-speed Bullet std 500 mainly).

To the exyent that most times you end up dropping at least a couple of gears, instead of just one.

Quote:
@Doc: I'm not sure if Shumi's ECU was remapped before the seizure. That being said, it seems like the coolant and engine oil somehow managed to meet and have a party in the engine block, resulting in catastrophic seizure. Not sure how the re-map could cause this, I guess it was some leaky pipes.
I meant that the new map has been partly developed to address the issue of seizures being reported - mainly due to extended WOT running on flat superslabs. Sorry for the confusion. Interesting info you gave. Any report on why/how that happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
@ebonho : Do you know any dual sport tyres available for Duke that are a little higher profile compared to stock?
All the rally KTMs are using Ceat Vertigo 120/80 x 17 at the rear and the Impulse 19" dual purpose front tyre in the front.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 13:52   #619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
Quote:
I meant that the new map has been partly developed to address the issue of seizures being reported - mainly due to extended WOT running on flat superslabs. Sorry for the confusion. Interesting info you gave. Any report on why/how that happened?
Thought the coolant getting into engine oil is a problem only with the KTM 950 V-twins. Have read quite few threads talking about it, here is one of them Link.

Hope KTM finds the cause of this problem in the D200.
samschenker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 14:56   #620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samschenker View Post
Thought the coolant getting into engine oil is a problem only with the KTM 950 V-twins. Have read quite few threads talking about it, here is one of them Link.

Hope KTM finds the cause of this problem in the D200.
Sounds nasty.

I guess one more pre-ride check to be done automatically - check if oil in window is milky white turbid.
Old 21st November 2012, 10:10   #621
BHPian

Quote:
But the handle and gear lever positions are. Try and experiment till you are happy.
ebonho, could you please indicate on what aspect of the handle is adjustable? I remember the manual mentioning the gear lever position adjustment but nothing on the handle.

Just guessing - it could be brought closer to the tank?

TIA!
Old 21st November 2012, 11:10   #622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk01 View Post
ebonho, could you please indicate on what aspect of the handle is adjustable? I remember the manual mentioning the gear lever position adjustment but nothing on the handle.

Just guessing - it could be brought closer to the tank?

TIA!
Loosen the 4 allen bolts on the top clamp and see which position is most comfortable for you by moving the handle up (away from you) or down (towards you). Ideally the handle should be in a parallel axis to the front fork.
Old 22nd November 2012, 15:19   #623
BHPian

Hi,

Planning a 1200 kms solo trip on my Duke 200 in Dec from Bangalore to Hyderabad and back. Can anyone advise me on the spares/tools to carry for such a trip.

1. I plan to ride mostly in the day time, unless I am forced to ride in the dark.

2. I travel light and I will carry a tail bag (12L capacity) and dirt sack saddle bag (if required) in case of heavier spares & tools.

3. I used to carry spare bulb, accelerator, clutch wires, spare tube, spark plug and foot pump with me while doing trips in my simple enfield. I am new to the Duke it has sensors, Cooling Fluid, radiator, EFI, not sure what is really important. Also, current foot pump does not seem to work with the Duke, anyone has any idea for a replacement.

4. My Duke is a month old with the first service done, it looks battle ready

5. I have driven/ridden in NH7 from Bangalore to Hyderabad before, the road is super, albeit a little boring as all 4 lane highways.

Thanks for your suggestions
Old 23rd November 2012, 17:04   #624
Senior - BHPian

BUMP !!!

Guys, was wondering if you could help me out with this please.

Just bumping up the post I had made earlier, which I'm re-pasting here below:

I've tried to discuss this much earlier on this thread, have even tried getting some dope from the KTM guys, but no luck.

Where have all of you set your RPM1 and RPM2 ??

What about others elsewhere (other forums, non-Indian Duke 200 owners, etc.) ?

Is there a tried and tested "golden mean"?

Most of us shift by feel.

But what makes for the quickest acceleration - shifting at peak torque (8000 rpm) or shifting at peak power (10000 rpm)?

My bike is currently set at

RPM1 @ 7500

RPM2 @ 8500
Old 23rd November 2012, 17:20   #625
BHPian

Quote:
BUMP !!!

Most of us shift by feel.

But what makes for the quickest acceleration - shifting at peak torque (8000 rpm) or shifting at peak power (10000 rpm)?

My bike is currently set at

RPM1 @ 7500

RPM2 @ 8500
Doc,

Just my 2cents:
I don't think the answer is shifting exactly at either of those points. It is definitely not at peak torque (8k) since you lose out on riding the torque wave at its highest. But if you wait till you hit peak power, you ought be sure the Duke has a flat-ish rather than peakish curve after it hits its torque peak.
The ideal shift should lie somewhere in between. If the torque drop after the peak is gradual, taking it closer to 10k should be optimal. If the drop is rapid, no point taking it to absolute redline. Also, the rev limiter cuts in hard in the Duke - hitting it definitely amounts to losing a little on acceleration.
I haven't dynoed my Duke yet so haven't seen the graphs; if someone has and can post it here, that would be great.
I shift at 9.5k when going WOT. It feels like I get the max out of it on the bum-dyno but hey the error on that dyno can vary between 5 to 500% so can't say for sure.
niranjanrvce is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2012, 18:23   #626
Senior - BHPian

Most times in the city, you get a chance to pull properly only in the first 4 gears. There just is not enough clean road for 5th, so you invariably short shift there and often in 4th as well.

So what I'm hearing, in the absence of the curves, a safe bet would be around 9000 rpm?

Which means it would make more sense to shift RPM1 to 8500 (instead of 7500) and then RPM2 to 9500 (instead of 8500).

So that you shift at around 9000.
Old 23rd November 2012, 19:39   #627
BHPian

^^Yes that would make sense according to me. I think the 200 doesn't lose much torque till 10k. And rightly so when you consider the redline on the euro-spec is 2k more than what we get here. Unless they changed the maps drastically.
I agree you can't practically max out the 5th in the city but I end up holding the gear instead of upshifting. I love the engine braking on this one and prefer that to using brakes to slow down a bit.
Just as a comparo, I have been using the cbr250r over the last week and the engine braking is significantly lesser than the Duke. Among other things.
Old 23rd November 2012, 19:50   #628
Senior - BHPian

I have never ridden the CBR.

How does it stack up against the Duke?

Do a comparo!
Old 23rd November 2012, 20:09   #629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BUMP !!!

In general, shift at peak power.
If there is a cushion between peak power rpm and the redline, and power tapers off gracefully (not brickwall characteristics), then till redline, or just short of it.
Do not hit rev limiter. Do not hang on at the redline.

If you want to be anal about it, plot the torque (at wheel) vs road speed (not rpm) for each gear. See the effect of each shift.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 11:33   #630
BHPian

Took part in 'Orange Day' at ecr speedway, chennai yesterday. Came 4th out of 5 :( but was happy I was in the same league as the leaders as all of us lapped the 5th guy . Was an OK event, could have done better with the time management as we hardly had 5 laps for practice and directly put to race.

Happily however I was not involved in any accidents which was my goal.

Also 1st time riding my bike 'Super moto style'..Boy it was fun. My only problem was transition bet'n rear wheel skid before entry and the entry itself, was not very confident getting into the corner with the rear wheel skiddding and so I was very slow at entry.

Other than that I learned a lot and have a new found confidence in me boike. never knew this thing was so damn capable.

Did any one on here participate as well ?? I was no.7 with a silver SOL helmet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks