Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2012, 16:44   #541
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)
Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchvinny View Post
Congrats buddy!!! forget the rest and go with docs words "One can live with a lot on a bike. And work out a lot". Just enjoy the party and get high on that sweet exhaust note!
Yes I really believe that. Most things you can live with and work around. Some things need to be tip top - engine and a true chassis, are two of them.

Quote:
I would encourage using this thread. It has unofficially become one stop thread for duke and is most alive! Thanks doc for that as well with his regular updates and feedback.
The effort and credit goes to all who have contributed to making this one of the biggest (and hopefully, informative) Duke threads on the net currently.

Quote:
Do you mean you are getting to choose a re-flash with an earlier version of software? Or was it suggested for you to just go for a re-flash and you are hoping that you will get back what you had?
The former - hopefully.

Quote:
"tweeties"? I feel the horn is just right! (not too loud, not too weak) If it was in my hands, I would have passed a bill that all bikes should be equipped with the same horn. Hope your R&D is not on the decibels
A horn is all about note and decibels man. Its all ok in the city where most of us use it as a form of communication. On the highway, you need the truck you are about to pass at 130 to know you are there and coming through fast.

Tweeties cannot be heard above the wind roar within your own helmet. Best of luck expecting the zonked out truck walla doing an overnighter, with a liberal dose of buccal absorbed opium, to hear it.

These best is something that mimics a horn of a bigger vehicle. That is the only way of catching his attention. Motorcycles are worse than windscreen bug kill to them.

The Skoda type wind tones are good. So are the Roots Vibrosonics / Megasonics, but they are too big and heavy and the brackets cannot take the rough and tumble of a bike.

Quote:
And doc, any inputs from your side regarding the bite of the rear brakes which I have mentioned in my previous post?
Use the front. The rear is for off road and to scrub speed and trail brake alone. I am in fact the opposite - I enjoy the fact that the early grabby sharpness is now gone. I miss it on the front though. They are still good - but not as brilliant as they were when new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Doc - as you mentioned the lock issue, even I have the same issue. But my bike was tipped over by my tenant who was backing his car and didn't see my bike parked and gently nudged it over.

The service guys wanted to put a "Taaka" (a.k.a spot weld) to which I refused. I believe it is inherent of the bike. I am sure something has misplaced/displaced itself to cause this lock issue.
Will be getting this done on Monday as well. I will offer an anatomical taaka to anyone who offers me a taaka on a KTM.
Old 24th October 2012, 12:56   #542
BHPian

Hi Doc, first of all thanks for your exhaustive posts, you have made it "The" Duke 200 thread. I have bought the duke last week, quite a step up from my Enfield and have been enjoying city and highway riding. I have faced the petrol leaking issue, and I am not happy with this, Terry from Malaysia had given a solution and you have mentioned that "you have forwarded terry's solution to the Bajaj Bosses". Any indian (bajaj official) solutions for the issue yet? Has anyone in Teambhp tried it? More so has anyone in India/Bangalore tried any solution yet.
Surajit333 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2012, 15:48   #543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
1) The key is not locking the central lock with the handle at extreme left. You need to move the handle slightly away from extreme left lock before the key locks. This is something new I have to get looked at post second service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Got 300v as its new juice. besides that nothing else was done (of course the regular wash and polish)

Doc - as you mentioned the lock issue, even I have the same issue. But my bike was tipped over by my tenant who was backing his car and didn't see my bike parked and gently nudged it over.

The service guys wanted to put a "Taaka" (a.k.a spot weld) to which I refused. I believe it is inherent of the bike. I am sure something has misplaced/displaced itself to cause this lock issue.
Even I'm facing the locking issue. Dont' remember if it was exactly after the second service. No work done on the front-end during servicing. Bike hasn't been dropped yet.
Done about 6.9k kms now.

It seems a bit odd to me that we're facing a common issue with the central locking. Sounds like something to do with the manufacturing (I wouldn't call it a defect though) than road conditions.

Shubz, how do you find the 300v vs. 7100?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Doc , Shubz, NikhilB, catchvinny and Voodoochild thanks for all your help and patience.
Congrats!! And don't be swayed if some niggles come up. The bike is worth all of them and then some more. Also, the KTM service is very responsive and are quick to replace faulty parts.
NikhilB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2012, 12:55   #544
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone have any inside info into what exactly was done to the original ECU map when they re-flashed the first lot bikes?

What were the changes? What is the "on road" change?
Old 25th October 2012, 14:33   #545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikhilB

Congrats!! And don't be swayed if some niggles come up. The bike is worth all of them and then some more. Also, the KTM service is very responsive and are quick to replace faulty parts.
Hey thanks i already have that stalling niggle and it was quite scary a few times. But i shall try to live with it as I just don't want the new ecu reflash.

Went for a 200km ride also the day after getting the bike. It feels great on the highway except for windblast. The bike just purrs. Love the sound. And i enjoy riding/driving sedately and this bike is ready to be ridden the way one wants it. And it touches 60 within 5000rpm so no over revving also. Wow.

And this bike smokes boy racers. Can you believe it a guy in an FZ riding with his girl trying to compete with the orange monster? Have got a few traffic light drag challenges but ignored all of them.

No matter what the issues are, everything disappears in the background once you ride it. Now i know what riders mean by the liberating experience. Plus the looks on the faces of onlookers in traffic is just priceless. One can literally see the transition in expressions from shock to awe to a giant smile on the face of the onlookers. Probably when they solve the mystery of the hidden silencer. :

A few questions:-
1. The manual recommends 91RON. So now we can feel normal unleaded right? Or do we still need Shell super unleaded? As 91RON is standard across the country now.

2. Ive noticed a bit of paint chipping on the silver color Y shaped thingy that holds both the front forks. Any advice on what to do about this?

3. How do you maintain the bike? I mean what polish do you use on these plastic parts? My car polish says not to use on plastic.

4. I can hear 'thak thak' sound coming from the rear while riding at about 60kmph. Is it the hugger? The road was plain without any potholes. Bit undulated but the sound kept coming. With pillion it disappeared however.

5. Any good recommendations on tankpads? My nero jacket put a mild scratch on the tank the other day, not noticeable but still.

6. And the horn issue is still not solved. I wish they placed the horn somewhere away from the engine heat. The problem is there only in city riding where you need it the most. On the highway the bike stays cool enough and the horn functions properly.

Thats it from me for now. Hope to finish my run in by this week.

Any Bangaloreans up for weekend rides? Please pm me if its ok with you

Ride safe!! Cheers.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 25th October 2012 at 14:53.
Old 25th October 2012, 15:07   #546
BHPian

AFAIK 87 oct is standard issue. 91 is xtra premium(IO) and power (HP). speed is 93 and shell has 97. 91 should suffice but the smell of speed 93 is intoxicating and makes me want it more
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2012, 15:26   #547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp
AFAIK 87 oct is standard issue. 91 is xtra premium(IO) and power (HP). speed is 93 and shell has 97. 91 should suffice but the smell of speed 93 is intoxicating and makes me want it more
But i thought BS4 minimum requirement was 91RON? Isn't BS4 mandatory in metros?
Which is speed? Ive not seen it in Bangalore. Out of all the ones you mentioned ive heard of only Xtra premium and sheel super unleaded. Need to check out this "Speed" then.

And thanks for the PDI instructions you had given earlier. I forgot to mention you in my previous post.
Old 25th October 2012, 15:31   #548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But i thought BS4 minimum requirement was 91RON?
Which is speed? Ive not seen it in Bangalore. Out of all the ones you mentioned ive heard of only Xtra premium and sheel super unleaded. Need to check out this "Speed" then.
It is indeed 91RON standard now. And Speed is the Xtra Premium equivalent from Bharat Petroleum.

I know i am late but Congrats on the Orange Monster.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 25th October 2012 at 15:34.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2012, 15:44   #549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey thanks i already have that stalling niggle and it was quite scary a few times. But i shall try to live with it as I just don't want the new ecu reflash.
Bro sorry to burst your bubble but the Dukes have been rolling out for quite some time now with the "reflashed map" as stock spec from the assembly line.

The reflash was only done to the very first lot bikes.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2012, 15:47   #550
BHPian

Quote:
But i thought BS4 minimum requirement was 91RON? Isn't BS4 mandatory in metros?

And thanks for the PDI instructions you had given earlier. I forgot to mention you in my previous post.
You are most welcome...Speed is Bharath petroleum's premium fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
It is indeed 91RON standard now. And Speed is the Xtra Premium equivalent from Bharat Petroleum.

Wow! this is news to me. So what happens to Xtra and power? are they now 93RON?
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2012, 15:57   #551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
Wow! this is news to me. So what happens to Xtra and power? are they now 93RON?
AFAIK, its 91RON with additives. Only Speed93 and Speed97 are what i remember as being 93 and 97 RON respectively. But shall leave it to the others also to chip in with their comments.
Old 25th October 2012, 16:14   #552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s

Hey thanks lets meet up sometime for a ride. The orange monster is ready to devour some miles.

And since standard petrol is 91RON these days it doesn't make sense to go for shell super unleaded. Or would there be any added benefits? normal shell unleaded is also 91RON as mentioned on their site atleast within tier 1 metros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho

The reflash was only done to the very first lot bikes.
So how does the stalling exist in our bikes even with the reflash, doc? :( i had a few close calls in city traffic and it was pretty scary. Riding in 4th gear and the revs around 3500rpm and increasing, the engine just cut midway. Was damn scary. Thanks to the driver who was behind me and alert to brake in time.

P.S doc is touching 100kmph during run in, a sin? The bike touches 100 within 5000-6000rpm even while riding sedately.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 25th October 2012 at 16:22.
Old 25th October 2012, 17:37   #553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So how does the stalling exist in our bikes even with the reflash, doc? :( i had a few close calls in city traffic and it was pretty scary. Riding in 4th gear and the revs around 3500rpm and increasing, the engine just cut midway. Was damn scary. Thanks to the driver who was behind me and alert to brake in time.
Same million dollar question I asked the boffins. Especially since I NEVER had the stalling issue BEFORE the reflash.

Quote:
P.S doc is touching 100kmph during run in, a sin? The bike touches 100 within 5000-6000rpm even while riding sedately.
It is a sin to ride the Duke any slower man.

But seriously, how many kms have you done? These engines are pretty much set straight out of the factory (in fact the moment they are first cranked, they are taken to redline on and off before being passed ahead) and ready to race within the first few hundred kms. The 1000 km limit is more a safeguard than anything else.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2012, 23:02   #554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho

It is a sin to ride the Duke any slower man.

But seriously, how many kms have you done? ready to race within the first few hundred kms. The 1000 km limit is more a safeguard than anything else.
Awesome then. I've overtaken quite a lot of vehicles on the highway and with crouching. Just love the feel of the bike and the feedback from the suspension. I feel connected to the bike every second.

I have done 238kms doc. 140 on the highway alone and the rest in the city streets. I enjoy it in the highways only. In the city, its too risky with mindless traffic ready to send you to heaven in an instant.

Dont like to redline the bike though. The exhaust creates music between 4000-5000rpm and i like to keep it around that with occasional increase to 6k or 7k. It makes for a comfortable ride. I believe i can ride all day on the bike except for the seat. 200kms feel like a saddlesore. Any advice on this?

P.s doc your recommended DMS boots are so comfortable. Bit of a hassle to put my feet in them but once inside, it feels so comfortable. Thank for that. Got them from the surplus store itself. And have been using them every single time ive ridden the bike. Its paisa vasool product. And i rode in the rains with this shoes only.

And not to forget it is your thread only that got me interested in the Duke more than anything else. I'd have missed out on a great bike had it not been for you and Shubz.

Btw, Can we ride continuously for hours during run in or we need to give some rest? What should be the optimum number of bars in the temp. Indicator?

Cheers. Ride safe!!

A picture from the highway ride
Attached Images

Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 09:41   #555
BHPian

Quote:
Dont like to redline the bike though. I believe i can ride all day on the bike except for the seat. 200kms feel like a saddlesore. Any advice on this?
You could buy riding pants with that jelly-like padding at the back. I had the same issue initially but now I am completely used to it.
Please do redline the bike sometimes - he'll be depressed if you don't let him enjoy himself occasionally

Quote:
Btw, Can we ride continuously for hours during run in or we need to give some rest? What should be the optimum number of bars in the temp. Indicator?
I day I got my bike, I rode nonstop to chikmagalur (mulliyangiri) and back. Wanted to complete the 1000km run in a max of 2 days. No issues whatsoever. Don't worry about the temp bars as long as they don't go into the top 2 bars.

Btw, Doc, I have been a silent reader on this thread for long. Bought my Duke <3 months ago based on this thread. Now, 7k kms later, I can't wait for the 390 to arrive. Thanks.
niranjanrvce is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks