Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2012, 15:03   #526
BHPian

Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Doc,

Since you seem to have done a lot of research on the Duke :-), hence directing this question this side. Do you think those additional 10l tanks that KTM offers for its dirt bikes are possible to be fitted onto the Duke 200. My first reaction on the studying the tank is that no, it will not be possible.

Then my other question is, if the Duke 200's tank were removed, would it be possible to fit a KTM moto/super moto tank (of extended range) in that place.
Old 15th October 2012, 17:23   #527
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Sorry guys, I have been extremely busy traveling and been away from the thread.

Glad to see you guys keeping it going.

Few things I have noticed after the second service:

1) The key is not locking the central lock with the handle at extreme left. You need to move the handle slightly away from extreme left lock before the key locks. This is something new I have to get looked at post second service.

2) The bike shut off (stalled) thrice in low gear last night in traffic. Something new once again.
Old 16th October 2012, 13:28   #528
catchvinny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
2) The bike shut off (stalled) thrice in low gear last night in traffic. Something new once again.
I am also experiencing mis-shifts between 1-N-2, where its difficult to shift to neutral. But strange thing happened today is that, I stopped the bike to park and was happy that it clicked to neutral with a breeze and that surprised me in a better way. But the engine was still running and as I turned the handle bar the engine shut off. That scared me. Started the engine gain and it ran for few seconds and again shut off (Mind that the Neutral indicator is ON and all I was doing is just hit the starter button). I gave it another try and started the engine and the scenario repeats. So I give another try and only this time the bike automatically shifts to 2nd and shuts off. Weird that the ECU saw the neutral while starting and then sees that something is wrong and shuts off only finally when the gear slips to 2nd that you know that the gear was actually mid way between N and 2. What makes me conclude (and confuse) here is that the gear sensor signals are being fed to the MID and the ECU separately or as ideally if ECU is the gateway, then again an indicator towards a software bug.

That said, I would not worry with such a bug affecting when I am stationary but what if I am in some momentum and I get a bit relaxed that I have shifted to neutral and the engine shuts off due to slippage in the gears leading to trip over (not that I would be concerned that I fell but it leads to damages of the baby ).

Anyways I am scheduled for the first service tomorrow, will bring this to the notice of the SVC guys. I will explicitly ask for a re-flash of the ECU hoping that there is a patch to the software for this bug along with already identified ones (As already indicated by doc that a re-flash has driven away the mis-shift problem till date).

P.S: As stated in my earlier post about drop after RPM1, I gave it another try and the bike does rev past 5K and I could only manage upto 6.5K where it was doing numbers between 75-80kmph. But that said, the feel of the bike is completely different past 5.5K. It is like it was purrring upto 5.5K and then starts growling past that. I will check this out again after the service is done tomorrow and the RPM1 is shifted to 8.5K. I have deliberately restricted from changing them myself before the first service.

If anyone here (including me) can try to find out if the ECU software development is in INDIA or GERMANY for the KTM, since its a BOSCH EMS?

Old 16th October 2012, 14:12   #529
BHPian

Quote:
1) The key is not locking the central lock with the handle at extreme left. You need to move the handle slightly away from extreme left lock before the key locks. This is something new I have to get looked at post second service.
+1, I'm facing this exact same behaviour after my second service. And I know for a fact that they did nothing to the front forks/handlebar etc, as the service was done while I was watching.
No stalling issues for me yet, and I'm pinning the bike to ~9-10k rpm each gear. The SS exhaust pipe is nice and purple now. My front brakes seem to be less effective than 4k kms back. I haven't needed to top up my coolant even once since the day I got the bike. This is pretty alarming for me, given that most other dukes I've seen are going through coolant much faster than me. No issues with the temp sensor, the gauge is usually 8 bars in the city in daylight and 6-7 bars at night. The fan comes on and cuts off occasionally, and I keep the radiator in good nick.

I want to try Engine Ice, which is supposedly much more effective, do I now drain my radiator and the coolant reservoir and flush them out before replacing existing coolant with engine ice?
Old 16th October 2012, 23:22   #530
BHPian

My apologies to bump in this thread from nowhere. And I haven't gone through all the things about Duke that have been discussed here, so pardon me on that one too.

Now the real question I wanted to ask. My friend has just bought a Duke. Just 3 months old. 9k on the odo. Last month, he was in Delhi to show (and let us test ride) his bike. We obviously put it to paces; around corners and on the expressway. No doubt we were all left grinning from ear to ear after having a blast on the Duke. However, I leave rest of the tale for some other day.

On the same evening that day, while he was cruising around at 80kph/90kph on city roads. He hit a bump (normal pothole, he says) and both the rims were bent after that??

It has been close to 20 days now and the bike's been lying with the dealer as he's changing it under insurance. The front rim has arrived & changed while the rear is yet to come.

Has anyone else had this problem before? Also, what could be the reason of the bent rim? Both at the same time?

PS: The Duke is awesome. Congrats to all of those who own and ride it. Shoots like a mad-dog in each gear!
Old 16th October 2012, 23:46   #531
BHPian

Friends finally the day has arrived. I'm getting the Orange monster tomorrow. So any checks that i need to do before delivery?
I'd already done the PDI while selecting the bike. Anything else that needs to be checked on delivery?

Also is anyone else getting the delivery tomorrow in Bangalore? We can meet up

Cheers!!!
Old 17th October 2012, 11:37   #532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchvinny View Post
(As already indicated by doc that a re-flash has driven away the mis-shift problem till date).
Bro what I said was a possible fix for the mis-shift was cleaning, lubing, and adjusting (after checking to see if replacement was needed or not) of the Igus Bush bearing. Nothing to do with the re-flash.

If anything, my bike never had any of the oft reported stalling issues on the original ECU but I have seen this sudden stalling thrice already post second service (and the re-flash a few hundred kms earlier).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
+1, I'm facing this exact same behaviour after my second service. And I know for a fact that they did nothing to the front forks/handlebar etc, as the service was done while I was watching.
My left fork seals and dust boot were replaced. But why should it affect the central locking position? I am guessing like on other bikes it is dependent on a stop welded on the downtube of the chassis.

Quote:
I haven't needed to top up my coolant even once since the day I got the bike. This is pretty alarming for me, given that most other dukes I've seen are going through coolant much faster than me. No issues with the temp sensor, the gauge is usually 8 bars in the city in daylight and 6-7 bars at night. The fan comes on and cuts off occasionally, and I keep the radiator in good nick.
Same here, except once when my fan stopped working and some coolant boiled over (temp bars went into the danger zone, with a high coolant temp warning on the display). Otherwise the coolant has not been consumed by my bike at all. Why should that worry you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivank View Post
On the same evening that day, while he was cruising around at 80kph/90kph on city roads. He hit a bump (normal pothole, he says) and both the rims were bent after that??
The mags are not the toughest. Bajaj and KTM know that. The issue is compounded by the very aggressive low profile tyres that have very little side wall cushion height in case you hit the edge of a pothole (or stone or sudden bump) while slightly leaned over (so that the contact patch is towards the outside of the tyre rather than the center where there is enough cushion).

That is why the mag edges get bent mainly.

These tyres (and mags) are great for good roads. The problems come when you start pushing the bike roughly on bad terrain in the misconception that being a KTM it should automatically be a purpose built off roader.

I really wish they would address this with spoked wheels (at least as an option for those who want it) for the soon to come 375. And come to grips with the fork seal issues on the otherwise really neat USD forks.

Last edited by ebonho : 17th October 2012 at 11:40.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2012, 12:15   #533
BHPian

Quote:
My left fork seals and dust boot were replaced. But why should it affect the central locking position? I am guessing like on other bikes it is dependent on a stop welded on the downtube of the chassis.

Same here, except once when my fan stopped working and some coolant boiled over (temp bars went into the danger zone, with a high coolant temp warning on the display). Otherwise the coolant has not been consumed by my bike at all. Why should that worry you?
Will inspect the stop and check it against a new bike for any difference in positioning perhaps by wear.

On the coolant, I'm simply paranoid about the coolant level. I'm always riding pretty enthusiastically and I'd expect that to overwhelm the cooling system, but it hasn't, not yet atleast. There's just this tiny thought bouncing around my head that one day I'll not be paying attention to the coolant level or the temp gauge, and be stranded, then not find the right coolant brand, and all that mayhem. To compound things, I can't seem to find Castrol Radicool anywhere in Mumbai. The ASC refuses to sell me a can. And all this adds to the paranoia. I guess for peace of mind I'll drain the OEM coolant, flush the radiator and fill engine ice or any coolant that I can buy in bulk. Planning a Ninja 650 soon as Bajaj sells one to me, so will need a few cans in hand at all times.
Old 17th October 2012, 15:36   #534
catchvinny

Quote:
Bro what I said was a possible fix for the mis-shift was cleaning, lubing, and adjusting (after checking to see if replacement was needed or not) of the Igus Bush bearing. Nothing to do with the re-flash.

If anything, my bike never had any of the oft reported stalling issues on the original ECU but I have seen this sudden stalling thrice already post second service (and the re-flash a few hundred kms earlier).
My bad, I realized it after posting but was awaiting for review by moderator before it gets actually posted and did not edit to avoid posting back to back (Newbie). I got my first service today and got the Igus bush cleaned, but I did not see any adjustments being done on the bush. And on the way ride back to the office, I did not see any issues with the shifts. Currently happy with the shifts (so Igus bush maintainence is now on my periodic DIY).

Other info from the service here in Bangalore for information:

1. Oil changed and oil filter replaced - Rs. ~500 + 74
2. Consumables - Rs.100
3. Chain Cleaning and Lubing - Rs.100
4. Service taxes

- The SVC guys did spray anti rust around all joints and other places around engine.

- Washing is done first job once you give the bike for servicing.

- The last being polishing, which I asked them not to do. Also noticed that the vehicle is not even cleaned before applying the polish (considering that it has just rolled out of the service bay and definitely there will be oil smudges around the vehicle)

- Got the disk pads cleaned, both front and rear. I am still unhappy about the bite that the rear has. All it does is reduce momentum and thus bring vehicle to halt. The rear does not actually try to stop the bike like the front does. Should I be concerned?

- I asked if they can re-flash the ECU, but the SVC person said that the re-flash is meant only for earlier lot of vehicles and after checking the VIN number he mentioned that my series bike does not need a re-flash. If anyone here can give numbers on the ECU of their bike? I happened to notice the number on one of the bike, whose tank cover had been opened. And IIRC one of the number indicates the software version flashed on to the ECU.

- The side stand in my opinion, by observation, is most abused in the service center. If the bike is not intended to get on the ramp, then anything and everything is done using the side stand (including turning of vehicles to 180 degrees on the spot)

Though I had planned to get the diagnostic done via the tester, I forgot to mention during the service (Its just that I wanted to see if ECU has registered any non critical errors)

Old 17th October 2012, 16:08   #535
Senior - BHPian

Yes vinny, only the early lot bikes have been re-flashed. The new lot bikes come with the new setting from the factory.

I would give anything to get my old setting back.
Old 17th October 2012, 20:45   #536
catchvinny

Quote:
Yes vinny, only the early lot bikes have been re-flashed. The new lot bikes come with the new setting from the factory.

I would give anything to get my old setting back.
I personally don't see great differences from the previous version of software, apart from stalling problem resolution, since I have rarely encountered stalling in low gears (considering mine is already with new software which is meant to resolve this issue). Your few cents on this?

Also, the KTM guys have set teh RPM1 and RPM2 at 10.5K and 12.5K respectively. Is that what is actually set at service ceneter after first service? I thought its 8.5K and 10.5K (not that I am concerned with these settings, but just checking with others)

Another update I got today is that KTM is introducing the 200 in black and white as well. The showroom here is already displaying the black one (costs additional 9K over the orange). The orange is getting a rise in price from tomorrow and will be around 1.56 OTR here.

Old 17th October 2012, 22:33   #537
BHPian

Duked!!!

Friends as the title of my post suggests I've got Duked today.

How much I wish this bike did not come with running in period Just need to get used to the stares and hushed conversations that this bike inspires while in traffic. Oh and that soothing exhaust sound. This bike is an animal or what?!

Surprisingly I learnt 2 things today:
1. This bike can be ridden comfortably and also ridden hard, unlike my earlier perception of riding it hard only. I was pleased with how calm the bike could be whenever I want as well as an animal ready to tear away from its leash.

2. Riding a bike in traffic is as much worse as driving my car, if not worser. Seriously what is wrong with bikers. They didn't even spare me with their antics of left hand overtakes and swerving in front of my bike. Did face some boy racers too, but didn't indulge them.

The bike gets very hot in traffic. Also the horn was getting muted sometimes when there was too much heat. However, after riding a few kms non stop smoothly, the horn was restored to its glory. Probably a loose wire?

The bike stalled a few times in traffic. But what amazed me was the ability to pull from 3rd gear, which is such a great help in stop go traffic if one needs to suddenly brake and go ahead.

Also I got the gear shift problem on first day itself. The gear indicator goes blank, then I've to release the clutch a bit and then the indicator shows the gear. Happened quite a few times. Should I get it checked? I can live with it.

And here's a little picture to end the post!! KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!-img_0026.jpg

Enjoy!!

Doc , Shubz, NikhilB, catchvinny and Voodoochild thanks for all your help and patience.

P.S. Thinking of putting up a thread.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 17th October 2012 at 22:37.
Old 18th October 2012, 10:53   #538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchvinny View Post
I personally don't see great differences from the previous version of software, apart from stalling problem resolution, since I have rarely encountered stalling in low gears (considering mine is already with new software which is meant to resolve this issue). Your few cents on this?
My two cents (and all remaining in the bank after as well ) is that I want to revert to what the bike came with.

As the 222nd Duke 200 to roll off the assembly line ever, it basically means my bike came from the first production run on Day 1 (based on internal installed capacity at the time, and the fact the first 200 were whisked off to Austria first).

So personally, I would prefer what the proper R&D boffins at KTM/Bajaj came up with over 2 odd years of testing and development, versus what changes they have made now to solve an "issue" that frankly was never really an issue for me, and definitely not one that I could not live with or move around.

If anything, AFTER the reflash and second service, I have had more stalls at low speed, low gear, than in the 5000 odd kms before.

So Monday I go back to the original seting and hope that they do actually give me back the original setting / map and not another iteration.

Quote:
The orange is getting a rise in price from tomorrow and will be around 1.56 OTR here.
Wow! Cant say it was either unexpected or in any way unjustified to what is a stonker of a bike, but it makes me feel real nice to know I got my bike at 25K less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post

Doc , Shubz, NikhilB, catchvinny and Voodoochild thanks for all your help and patience.
Congrats bro. Enjoy the bike and keep her well!

Quote:
Also the horn was getting muted sometimes when there was too much heat. However, after riding a few kms non stop smoothly, the horn was restored to its glory. Probably a loose wire?
Either its touching the radiator or fan cage or something in that cramped area, or the horn is bad. Show it to them. I am currently on my 3rd horn (ongoing R&D - though they are all tweeties!)
Old 18th October 2012, 13:52   #539
catchvinny

Re: Duked!!!

Quote:
Congrats buddy!!! forget the rest and go with docs words "One can live with a lot on a bike. And work out a lot". Just enjoy the party and get high on that sweet exhaust note!

Quote:
P.S. Thinking of putting up a thread.
I would encourage using this thread. It has unofficially become one stop thread for duke and is most alive! Thanks doc for that as well with his regular updates and feedback.

Quote:
So Monday I go back to the original seting and hope that they do actually give me back the original setting / map and not another iteration.
Do you mean you are getting to choose a re-flash with an earlier version of software? Or was it suggested for you to just go for a re-flash and you are hoping that you will get back what you had?

Quote:
I am currently on my 3rd horn (ongoing R&D - though they are all tweeties!)
"tweeties"? I feel the horn is just right! (not too loud, not too weak) If it was in my hands, I would have passed a bill that all bikes should be equipped with the same horn. Hope your R&D is not on the decibels

And doc, any inputs from your side regarding the bite of the rear brakes which I have mentioned in my previous post?

Old 18th October 2012, 16:20   #540
Senior - BHPian

Just got the bike out of 2nd service. Yes 2nd service. Its run about 5k+. Wasn't in the country for a bit, so lost out on the kms

Got 300v as its new juice. besides that nothing else was done (of course the regular wash and polish)

Doc - as you mentioned the lock issue, even I have the same issue. But my bike was tipped over by my tenant who was backing his car and didn't see my bike parked and gently nudged it over.

The service guys wanted to put a "Taaka" (a.k.a spot weld) to which I refused. I believe it is inherent of the bike. I am sure something has misplaced/displaced itself to cause this lock issue.

I was asked if my bike stalls, i answered in the affirmative, they said they will flash it for me. But it wasn't a problem of sorts for me. Luckily they didn't have the tool handy, so no reflashing of ECU and I am happy with the way it is.

I haven't ridden much after the service (I just got it back today) but I can notice the difference in gear shifts/engine roar. They are better.

Horn: I told them about the horn issue, they said BAL has come up with a bigger one and they don't have stock of the same. But I am sure something was done to mine, its sounding louder.

And Partha - Congrats on your buy! Do catch up with me sometime whenever you are visiting Auto Service.
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks