Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2012, 19:07   #466
BHPian

Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryv View Post
Malaysia has 42 standard sprocket, 14 standard pinion. The reason for this is to limit the speed to fit government regulations on top speed of 200cc bike ?

If you want to go faster the 33 will definitely do it. I went for two hour ride today, was not even thinking of selecting 6th gear till I was doing 110kph, and I was not stressing the engine at all, nothing above 6500rpm. A 33 sprocket gives a theoretical top speed of 179kph at 11,000 rpm, but this will depend on 1. whether the engine has the power and torque to take it this far and 2. whether you are silly enough. I do not ride like that anymore. I just wanted to ensure my engine lasts a long time, is not stressed, and can cruise at 120kph easily at moderate revs (7000rpm), which it does easily, and is still nimble in 1st through 6th. At 120kph if I wanted to really accelerate fast I can drop to 5th and go, go, go.

33 gives great gear selections - longer between shifts, but 33 is a bit hard on the clutch for steep hill starts with pillion (total load 140kg). So maybe 35 is better - I am looking for one now - part number JTR279/35 http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/model/211

The power and torque of this engine is much better suited / matched "imho" to a 33 to 35 sprocket, whilst still having the original 14 pinion.
This is nice. I am sure a smaller sprocket which will fit directly would be available in India as well. Hope KTM doesn't have issues of warranty with this modification
Old 10th September 2012, 19:32   #467
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Terry how many links from the chain did you need to remove when you fitted the 33 tooth rear sprocket?
Old 11th September 2012, 17:30   #468

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Terry how many links from the chain did you need to remove when you fitted the 33 tooth rear sprocket?
I think 5 ...and I have my rear shock set at the 5th notch to ensure the chain is not rubbing on the chain guides.
terryv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 11:54   #469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryv View Post
I think 5 ...and I have my rear shock set at the 5th notch to ensure the chain is not rubbing on the chain guides.
How much do you weigh?

Your's (Malaysian Dukes) is an X-ring chain too right? No lock?
Old 14th September 2012, 16:47   #470
Senior - BHPian

Guys off late (last couple or more rides) I have noticed mis-shifts betwen 1 and 2 sometimes. Rare (maybe onec or twice in a 300 odd km ride), and only when pulling off like mad from standstill.

Anyone else have this? Time for the second service post this weekend ride. Will get this looked at.

Another thing in the rains is that one decent ride in the wet/muck, and the chain goes bone dry afterwards. Do we need to keep it lubricated (slightly wet) after every ride in the rains?
Old 14th September 2012, 17:45   #471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another thing in the rains is that one decent ride in the wet/muck, and the chain goes bone dry afterwards. Do we need to keep it lubricated (slightly wet) after every ride in the rains?
Not sure of X-Ring chains but the O-rings require to be cleaned and lubricated after a rain ride else they too are almost bone dry after a single rain ride. (At least on my RTR it is so). Not lubricating it and running it dry for nearly 2000kms costed me the chain and sprocket kit!!
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2012, 19:45   #472
BHPian

Quote:
Guys off late (last couple or more rides) I have noticed mis-shifts betwen 1 and 2 sometimes. Rare (maybe onec or twice in a 300 odd km ride), and only when pulling off like mad from standstill.

Anyone else have this? Time for the second service post this weekend ride. Will get this looked at.
I always hear two distinct clicks while changing from first to second.
And sometimes tend to miss waiting for both clicks while quick-shifting, causing the gear indicator to go blank (while the engine revs as if it is in neutral).
NikhilB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2012, 19:46   #473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikhilB View Post
I always hear two distinct clicks while changing from first to second.
And sometimes tend to miss waiting for both clicks while quick-shifting, causing the gear indicator to go blank (while the engine revs as if it is in neutral).
Yes thats whats happening. No two clicks though. The box is really smooth. Maybe the link arm needs to be adjusted a tad.
Old 14th September 2012, 20:47   #474
BHPian

Quote:
Yes thats whats happening. No two clicks though. The box is really smooth. Maybe the link arm needs to be adjusted a tad.
Do let us know what the service centre thinks of it.
Was blaming myself whenever it happened (not waiting for it to click in place).
Old 14th September 2012, 22:29   #475
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Clean it off with a chain cleaner (spray). Proving too costly? The WD-40, else the best old fashioned thing. Paint Brush & Kerosene.

My chain doesn't require lubing as much as it requires cleaning. Clean it thoroughly, let it dry, ride for ~5kms. Post that see, if it needs lubrication or not.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 18:28   #476
BHPian

Good news friends Booked the Duke 200 today will update my siggy later. Thanks to doc and shubz for helping me make the decision
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 18:37   #477
Senior - BHPian

Congrats bro! Matter of time

Last couple of days been hearing a wierd sound from the front of the bike. Like eletrical static/crackling. Happens on accelerating. Its clearly there if you listen for it. No burning wire smel at all from anywhere. Wonder what it is.

Also last Sunday's rain ride, the MID fogged up in a section. Its cleared out now but it should most definitely not be happening. Been happy its not happened in my bike till now. Now I am not so happy that its happened. Definitely seems to be an issue.

The tak tak sound from the back - the rear seat was not fully flush (it was locked, as in you could not remove it - but not sitting flush). Reason found on opening seat - the tool kit had moved under the two rubberbands, as well the fuse box was dislodged fom the holder and was lying loose inside the compartment. Don't know if the guys at the SVC did not fit it back after the ECU flashing or it got disldged due to the violent riding off late.

The fender is still hitting (I can clearly see the marks on the mud layere hugger), but the sound is different.

Last edited by ebonho : 17th September 2012 at 18:43.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 23:47   #478
BHPian

So had gone to PBK Indiranagar today to book the Duke. All my doubts vanished when I saw the bike in flesh again. Then I felt stupid for taking time to decide. The bike is a looker. Everything feels ergonomic once you sit on the bike.

The test vehicle had done 6623 kms and was not available for a TD. The gear shift issues were prominent on the vehicle. I asked the SE to just switch on the engine once as I wanted to hear the exhaust not. So he tried switching to neutral and no way was the bike slotting to neutral. 1-2-3-4-5-6 up or down but no Neutral. Had to use my foot then with surgical precision and nimbleness to slot to the neutral as I wasnt gonna leave without hearing the exhaust note again.

Also the malfunction indicator on the side of the MID was on. I maybe wrong with the name. It was an triangle with an exclamation mark.

As the bike ages, Im thinking the issues probably crop up more and more. I wanto keep this for long term and I really hope Bajaj keeps up the exceptional service for years to come.

And if Im not wrong, there must be one fully kitted up Duke doing the rounds in bangalore. As it was missing from the showroom today. So Im guessing its already sold.

Im really in love with the Duke. The bike just feels great.

Thanks once again to Doc and Shubz for encouraging me to go for the Duke.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 18th September 2012 at 00:04.
Old 18th September 2012, 00:23   #479
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
So had gone to PBK Indiranagar today to book the Duke. All my doubts vanished when I saw the bike in flesh again. Then I felt stupid for taking time to decide. The bike is a looker. Everything feels ergonomic once you sit on the bike.

The test vehicle had done 6623 kms and was not available for a TD. The gear shift issues were prominent on the vehicle. I asked the SE to just switch on the engine once as I wanted to hear the exhaust not. So he tried switching to neutral and no way was the bike slotting to neutral. 1-2-3-4-5-6 up or down but no Neutral. Had to use my foot then with surgical precision and nimbleness to slot to the neutral as I wasnt gonna leave without hearing the exhaust note again.

Also the malfunction indicator on the side of the MID was on. I maybe wrong with the name. It was an triangle with an exclamation mark.

As the bike ages, Im thinking the issues probably crop up more and more. I wanto keep this for long term and I really hope Bajaj keeps up the exceptional service for years to come.

And if Im not wrong, there must be one fully kitted up Duke doing the rounds in bangalore. As it was missing from the showroom today. So Im guessing its already sold.

Im really in love with the Duke. The bike just feels great.

Thanks once again to Doc and Shubz for encouraging me to go for the Duke.
Congrats on the duke and ride safe

Getiing neutral in my bike os pretty easy but as doc said i am also feeling looseness in the 1-2 gears, i am sure its because of linkage.

The yellow triangle is not malfunction light but just warning light, like for side stand down or low fuel level. The malfunction light is just left to the shift indicator.

Anyways after pressurised water wash malfunction light comes on. Last time i got the bike cleaned and they used the hose liberally around the engine and the malfuction light stayed on 2 days , other wise if you remove the seat and used pressurised air on connectors behind the fuse box, malfunction light will go away.
Rahulkool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2012, 00:32   #480
BHPian

Quote:

Anyone else have this?
I've had the side stand coming loose every couple of days, particularly because only one of the two bolts holding it was accessible and tightened. I visited the SVC and they simply tightened the one accessible bolt after a fairly long wait, quoting a lack of time/space/manpower (These premium SVC nooks are getting kinda overloaded, methinks). I could very well have done this myself at home (once again) and saved myself the trouble. Anyhow it came loose again in another day or two.

So this time, (for the 5th+ time in 10 or so days ), I first tightened the one accessible #14 bolt. I then lay supine on the floor trying to figure out how to access the other bolt with all sorts of spanners/ratchets. No luck there, but then I figured if could take off the in-the-way side-stand sensor, then I could tighten away. Off then, came the gear pedal assembly, after a bit of persuasion, because it was Loctited. Next, off came the in-the-way stand sensor, after which I could access the once inaccessible bolt and tighten it.

If you're still with me, I will now come to the reason I (partially) quoted your post.

The pivot point on the gear pedal linkage was bone-dry (pun fully intended) and I gave it a dose of grease and SAE90 before putting it back together. This has resulted in smoother shifts and eliminated the occasional stickiness.

Highly recommended.

PS:
Pray, when is Bajaj gonna launch that much awaited and promised paddock stand? My friends & driver / neck & back are getting tired of: holding the bike upright / contortions needed for routine maintenance. While they're at it, could they also ship the replacement horn please.

Last edited by airfoil : 18th September 2012 at 00:46.
airfoil is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks