Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2012, 09:06   #451
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho

I'd rather save the money on the Akra, add it to what I get for the 200, and get the 350 instead.

Yes bro, anyone can buy DMS boots. I swear by them. For riding as well as trekking.
Didnt notice much use for the Akra. It sounds good on Bmws and other cars. But found the sound of the OEM silencer to be much better in terms of crudeness. It has that rustic attractiveness to it. Akrapovic takes away the wildness imho. There's lot of bass introduced but still the way the original ones growl is just mindblowing. Plus the Akra spoils the looks of the Duke. Please dont stone me for this friends. Its purely my opinion and i dont mean to offend anyone who has got this for his Duke.

Doc, do the DMS boots afford as much protection to the ankles as the riding boots? And is it available in all CSDs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samschenker
Update after second service:
Got the fuel filter changed (cost of filter INR.84), the holes for the tank cover were made bigger while fitting back.
Had complained about little vibes on the foot pegs, the nuts holding the foot peg assembly to the frame where tightened the issue still remains.

@doc/kapil/Shubz: Did any one of you faced the vibes from the foot pegs, if yes how was it resolved?
Are the holes necessary to be drilled in every bike or is it an issue specific to yours only?

About the footpegs, loctiting maybe effective if not already done. Just saying from whatever i read in the thread.

P.s does the stock duke come with crash guards or is it an accessory? The tyre hugger seems similar to what the NS and 135 dtsi have. And NS has brakes from bybre too. So much for exclusivity :(
Old 5th September 2012, 10:58   #452
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)
Re: KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samschenker View Post
Update after second service:
Got the fuel filter changed (cost of filter INR.84), the holes for the tank cover were made bigger while fitting back.
Can you specify what "holes" you are referring to please? A photo would be even better. Is this needed for all bikes? I would hate someone at the SVC drilling holes into my bike man .....

Quote:
Had complained about little vibes on the foot pegs, the nuts holding the foot peg assembly to the frame where tightened the issue still remains.

@doc/kapil/Shubz: Did any one of you faced the vibes from the foot pegs, if yes how was it resolved?
No vibes anywhere bro. She is tight and fine touch wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Doc, do the DMS boots afford as much protection to the ankles as the riding boots? And is it available in all CSDs?
The boots are the best protection you can buy for 500 bucks bro. Cannot compare to any custom made riding bot per se (even the cheaper synthetic leather ones).
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 11:37   #453
BHPian

Quote:
P.s does the stock duke come with crash guards or is it an accessory?
And NS has brakes from bybre too. So much for exclusivity :(
Crash guard comes as stock just like in any other Bajaj bike & the NS has petal brakes on both front & rear

Quote:
Are the holes necessary to be drilled in every bike or is it an issue specific to yours only?
Not sure of this, mine is from the first lot of bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Can you specify what "holes" you are referring to please? A photo would be even better. Is this needed for all bikes? I would hate someone at the SVC drilling holes into my bike man .....
Ok, I should have been clear about this earlier. The holes are not made on the tank cover but on the 'black cover' (item #3 on pg 11 of the parts manual posted in this thread earlier) to which the fuel over flow pipe is attached.
May be required on all bikes, as I was told the holes were made bigger for better clearance.
samschenker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 12:33   #454
Senior - BHPian

@Partha - my MID/Indicators have not misted so far. I have ridden in the rain, I have parked the bike in the open under torrential rain. Thank god for small mercies.

@sam - the vibes in the footpegs were addressed by adding a little washer, firming them a bit but not tight. I have not noticed any vibes or probably I am used to them by now.
Shubz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 14:16   #455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, I should have been clear about this earlier. The holes are not made on the tank cover but on the 'black cover' (item #3 on pg 11 of the parts manual posted in this thread earlier) to which the fuel over flow pipe is attached. May be required on all bikes, as I was told the holes were made bigger for better clearance.
Sam, that black cover is the actual tank if I am not mistaken.

The orange thing is the outer shroud.
Old 5th September 2012, 14:26   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Sam, that black cover is the actual tank if I am not mistaken.
The part I am talking about is highlighted in red in the attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
KTM Duke 200 : Baby Duke 222 unites with her new family!-duke_tank_assembly.jpg  

samschenker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 14:49   #457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks bro - much clearer now.

This is probably the same thing Terry was talking about too earlier.
Old 5th September 2012, 15:42   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samschenker
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho

Thanks bro - much clearer now.

This is probably the same thing Terry was talking about too earlier.
Does this then mean that the fuel overflow/leaking issue is now resolved? Sam have you done a tankful after this modification and if so have you noticed any petrol smell?
Doc any word from Bajaj on this? If its official, then probably the next lot of bikes will have this modification straight from the factory and would make much sense to wait a bit more for the latest edition
Old 5th September 2012, 16:30   #459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does this then mean that the fuel overflow/leaking issue is now resolved? Sam have you done a tankful after this modification and if so have you noticed any petrol smell?
Doc any word from Bajaj on this? If its official, then probably the next lot of bikes will have this modification straight from the factory and would make much sense to wait a bit more for the latest edition
I've only had the fuel on the floor once (on sidestand) when an over enthusiastic pump attendant did not stop in time.

Never the gushing over engine Terry spoke about.

Will forward this to the Bajaj guys and see what they have to say.
Old 5th September 2012, 17:01   #460
BHPian

Quote:
Never had petrol leaking problem till date (touch wood).
Yes there were instances when there was a faint petrol smell after tank fill & that was only because the attendant at the petrol pump didn't stop when I asked him to, other wise if you stick to the level mentioned in the owners manual there is no smell of petrol after tank fills.
samschenker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 18:41   #461
Senior - BHPian

KTM's Very First Orange Day in Pune, India (Sunday 2nd September 2012)

Fantastic event. Slick, classy, well managed, loads of KTMs and other bikes, big crowd by early morning Sunday standards (close to 300 overall, with 100 KTMs, 30 of them racing).

Practice sessions, theory and demo laps, followed by qualifying (3 at a time), followed by two main races Grp A and B of 6 racers each.

Lucky draw, top honchos of Bajaj present, Adil of ZigWheels there to lend his support, and loads of enthu guys and their bikes all around, with complete backup mechs and support by Bajaj and KTM, including a doctor on call with first aid.

Let the pictures do the talking! (Mods: there is a PDF file sent to me by Prashant Pingle from Bajaj, which is over the size limit of 3 MB - the file is 4.5 MB)
Old 5th September 2012, 18:54   #462
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

^^ saw few images on the facebook page of KTM India, looked really orange and well managed event

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2542783&type=1
Old 9th September 2012, 15:27   #463

Fitted a 33 tooth ( Honda CB250 Nighthawk) sprocket and it fits perfect. I will bet that all who go down from the original 42, will not go back - Look at the specs of the 125 and 200 - same ratios both gear, pinion and sprocket- so the engineers were lazy and did not setup the 200 to take advantage of the extra torque and power. The 33 gives a great spacing on the gears, and easy riding / revving at higher speeds - I am doing 80kph before I even think of changing to 5th !!! and not revving the engine past 7000. 33 is a bit low if doing steep hill starts with pillion on back - a bit too much pressure on the clutch - but on level ground it does not strain the clutch at all. So I am now looking for a 35 or similar which I think will be just right.....
terryv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 13:37   #464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryv View Post
Fitted a 33 tooth ( Honda CB250 Nighthawk) sprocket and it fits perfect. I will bet that all who go down from the original 42, will not go back - Look at the specs of the 125 and 200 - same ratios both gear, pinion and sprocket- so the engineers were lazy and did not setup the 200 to take advantage of the extra torque and power. The 33 gives a great spacing on the gears, and easy riding / revving at higher speeds - I am doing 80kph before I even think of changing to 5th !!! and not revving the engine past 7000. 33 is a bit low if doing steep hill starts with pillion on back - a bit too much pressure on the clutch - but on level ground it does not strain the clutch at all. So I am now looking for a 35 or similar which I think will be just right.....
Out here, our Dukes have a 43 rear sprocket (front is 14).

The question everyone wants an answer to - Any change in top speed?

The current gearing is good for 120 in 5th maxed out. Of course much higher revs.
Old 10th September 2012, 18:13   #465

Quote:
Out here, our Dukes have a 43 rear sprocket (front is 14).

The question everyone wants an answer to - Any change in top speed?

The current gearing is good for 120 in 5th maxed out. Of course much higher revs.
Malaysia has 42 standard sprocket, 14 standard pinion. The reason for this is to limit the speed to fit government regulations on top speed of 200cc bike ?

If you want to go faster the 33 will definitely do it. I went for two hour ride today, was not even thinking of selecting 6th gear till I was doing 110kph, and I was not stressing the engine at all, nothing above 6500rpm. A 33 sprocket gives a theoretical top speed of 179kph at 11,000 rpm, but this will depend on 1. whether the engine has the power and torque to take it this far and 2. whether you are silly enough. I do not ride like that anymore. I just wanted to ensure my engine lasts a long time, is not stressed, and can cruise at 120kph easily at moderate revs (7000rpm), which it does easily, and is still nimble in 1st through 6th. At 120kph if I wanted to really accelerate fast I can drop to 5th and go, go, go.

33 gives great gear selections - longer between shifts, but 33 is a bit hard on the clutch for steep hill starts with pillion (total load 140kg). So maybe 35 is better - I am looking for one now - part number JTR279/35 http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/model/211

The power and torque of this engine is much better suited / matched "imho" to a 33 to 35 sprocket, whilst still having the original 14 pinion.
terryv is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks